Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, queenanne said:

In my household of origin they'd have been differentiated as "fried potatoes" (with a "d" instead of an "s"), which is how we always knew we were getting fried potato chunks in a skillet, aka home fries.

Around here potatoes like these are called "home fries" on menus, the long cut ones are "French fries" or just plain "fries".  They are not interchangeable terms.

• Love 5

Jill’s recipe:

Sweet Potato Fries

Mar 15, 2018 | Recipes | 3 

3 Sweet Potatoes

Olive Oil

Salt

Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut sweet potatoes into short fries (I find if they’re too long they’re more apt to break). Put potatoes in medium/large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir. Dump onto cookie sheet and bake in oven for 25-35 min.

Note: Sometimes I take the pan out halfway through and use a spatula to kinda mix them up on the cookie sheet so they don’t get overcooked on one side.

• Love 4

And if you add a bit of molasses, chipotle chili powder, honey, butter... So many things to make that taste even better. I don't have to give her credit for cooking a vegetable, do I? And in my world, sweet potatoes like this take at least 40 minutes.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Dump. 

Why always "dump? "   How about "arrange" or "spread" the cut potatoes in a single layer?  One recipe I read said to "tumble" the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet. But no, again with "dump." 

I guess maybe Jill loves the word "dump" because she grew up across the street from one or maybe because her food always looks like garbage so it seems fitting.

Also "kinda?"

• Love 13
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Jill’s recipe:

Sweet Potato Fries

3 Sweet Potatoes

Olive Oil

Salt

Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut sweet potatoes into short fries (I find if they’re too long they’re more apt to break). Put potatoes in medium/large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir. Dump onto cookie sheet and bake in oven for 25-35 min.

Note: Sometimes I take the pan out halfway through and use a spatula to kinda mix them up on the cookie sheet so they don’t get overcooked on one side.

When I read "dump" once again, I thought that one of our lovely posters wrote this recipe as a joke.

Sigh...

• Love 14
10 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Jill’s recipe:

Sweet Potato Fries

3 Sweet Potatoes

Olive Oil

Salt

Pepper

10 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Dump. 

Why always "dump? "   How about "arrange" or "spread" the cut potatoes in a single layer?  One recipe I read said to "tumble" the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet. But no, again with "dump." 

I guess maybe Jill loves the word "dump" because she grew up across the street from one or maybe because her food always looks like garbage so it seems fitting.

OMG. I'm not a foodie or someone who enjoys cooking, and I don't often visit food blogs/sites online. But last night I was online looking for a few recipes, and visited some food blogs. These are blogs of women who are single, married, employed outside the home, SAHM, young, not-young, and yet ALL of them are light years ahead of Jilly Dilly's pathetic postings. In content and presentation. 

And +1 to the eyerolls over "dump" and "kinda mix them up."

If Jilly's social media followers tend to be the same demographic as the show's viewer base as seen on the ratings reports online, a large percentage (if not a majority) are age 55+. They probably just think she's cute and holy and a refreshing presence in this evil debauched world, and they've seen her grow up on TV, and she's like one of their grandkids except unlike their real grandkids she never calls them asking for money so their car doesn't get repo'd two weeks after they forgot her birthday. I think that very few of the humpers take Jill's recipes seriously.

Edited by Jeeves
clarity
  • Love 20
16 hours ago, kalamac said:

When my brother makes potatoes like that he calls them 'home fries'. If he cuts them in regular long lengths, he just says fries, but if he's inviting you for dinner and says something like 'it'll be steaks, salad and home fries', we know we're getting fried potato chunks of varying sizes. (And I just googled home fries, and the pictures all look like what my brother, and Jill are serving, so I guess it is a thing.)

Home fries is one the choices (that or hash browns) that typically comes with a breakfast where I live when one goes to a restaurant.  I cut them that size when I am roasting them with other veggies.  In my house roasted carrots/cauliflower is like candy and we cannot stop ourselves from eating them!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Zella said:

I like how she sometimes--so apparently not always--"kinda" mixes them. It's like she can't even commit to that. 

At what point does kinda mixing become mixing?

Haha we crossposted, @DangerousMinds!

To be honest, kinda mix them up translates to ‘push them around so they don't stick to the pan ’ to me.  Turn them over with a spatula is what would keep one side from being over cooked.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

To be honest, kinda mix them up translates to ‘push them around so they don't stick to the pan ’ to me.  Turn them over with a spatula is what would keep one side from being over cooked.   

I actually interpreted mixing as pushing them around like you did. (To me, turning them with the spatula would be different and would be specified as turning.) I just don't understand how one only "kind of" does that task.

Now I kinda want to comment on her blog and ask all sorts of inane questions about how to properly mix the fries!  :D

• Love 12

Next up...TEA!!!! Boil water! Dump over teabag!!!! “Wahla!!!”

When I have absolutely nothing else to think about (and this ranks far below “when was the last time I cut my toenails”), I start to wonder if Derrick isn’t just trolling everyone for the hate hits. Apparently he’s not entirely lazy...the guy supposedly finished a marathon. He’s now in law school, so he took the LSATs. (Although I would bet my car he won’t graduate; too much work and not enough having his Jesus-jumping ass kissed.)

But what does he post about? The stuff that makes him as douchey, sanctimonious and judgmental as possible. What does Jill post? The stuff that makes her look as dumb as possible. Even on this site their traffic far outranks most of the other Duggar topics, mostly because of their high snark value.

I just wonder if they haven’t concluded that hate clicks are still clicks, and if it’s traffic that pays them? Why not?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 16

It never occurred to me Jill could be talking about home fries, however I always prepare them in a skillet and refer to them as such. If I hear simply "fries" my mind thinks of French Fries. Maybe it's one of those regionalisms where terms mean different things to different people depending on what you grew up with.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Jill wrote twice as many words explaining how to dump potatoes onto a cookie sheet and bake them than she did to explain Derick's major life decision to enroll in law school!  The Dillards gave no explanation to the people who sent them money this time last year when they wanted Derick to go to minister school but claimed they didn't have the $12,000 to pay for tuition.  (They never disclosed how they got the money to pay for Jill's airfare to Africa, Mexico, Colorado Springs and Washington D.C. so that she could tag along with Derick on the class trips.)

Well, never mind about all of that now because, "We look forward to seeing how God will continue to direct our family in this new chapter of life!"

Derick's first classes start next Monday at 8:00 a.m.  He will be required to read and absorb thousands of pages of material every month.  Since it will be impossible to do that kind of intense study in a small house with two toddlers, he will ensconce himself in the law library and return to home late at night after the kids are in bed.  Jilly is going to freak out as Derick disconnects from the marriage. 

This will not have a pretty ending.  No wonder Jill is at a loss for words.

Jill has no understanding of how much work law school is. The most she did herself was study Anatomy via the internet for her midwifery studies.   She doesn’t realize what’s going to happen. Derick might.  Can’t wait for the JB and Michelle comments about how much time it takes away from Jill.  The time away from the marriage was their reason to say no when John David first wanted to be a pilot. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Mollie said:

The Dillards gave no explanation to the people who sent them money this time last year when they wanted Derick to go to minister school but claimed they didn't have the $12,000 to pay for tuition. 

I think the "we will be remaining stateside for now" bit was meant to supercede such explanation ;)

16 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

It never occurred to me Jill could be talking about home fries, however I always prepare them in a skillet and refer to them as such.

She wasn't talking about home fries. Otherwise, she wouldn't have included her note about cutting the pieces small because "longer (thinner) pieces tend to break" (paraphrased).

Oh, and if Jill can't cope with being alone all day, it's not like she's in Danger America anymore. She can just go hang out at the TTH all day, no? I mean, it's what Jessa does.

Edited by graefin
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Jill has no understanding of how much work law school is. The most she did herself was study Anatomy via the internet for her midwifery studies.   She doesn’t realize what’s going to happen. Derick might.  Can’t wait for the JB and Michelle comments about how much time it takes away from Jill.  The time away from the marriage was their reason to say no when John David first wanted to be a pilot. 

Did it have black bars over the naughty bits?

• Love 12

Nice job reminding everyone you haven't done anything substantial in 11 years. Well, I guess that was high school, not college (I had a locker in college in the music building), so four years of college plus one year of Walmart equals five productive years in the last eleven! Way to go, Derick!!!

• Love 18
36 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Derick is losing weight again.  His wedding ring is about to fall off.  Maybe he will do better eating at the school cafeteria rather than eating Jill's "recipes."

• Love 13

I guess it's all relative when talking about how many scholarships, full or partial, are available for law school.  I can only speak as to my personal experience, but out of the 8 law schools to which I applied, I was offered partial scholarships to 4, and full scholarships to the other 4.   This was straight after undergrad at a state school (from a Southern state close to and similar in demographic to Arkansas), with excellent academics but no work/life experience to speak of, and the law schools ranging from my undergrad alma mater to one ivy league school.  I chose to attend a top 25, private law school - the best one to which I applied and was offered a full scholarship - and graduated with no debt (either law school or otherwise).  And while I wouldn't say law school was easy, I second what another poster said... it's also not rocket science.  Nor is it anything like what you see on tv or like the horror stories you hear.  I studied a reasonable amount, nothing excessive, passed the bar the first time, and make a comfortable living at a mid-size firm doing a job I like reasonably well...most days.  ;-)  All of that to say, if my experience was at all typical, Derick is not exactly facing the equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest here...and I see no reason why he won't do fine, without his beliefs/family/life imploding along the way.

• Love 17
37 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Exactly this.

Please note I mean no offense to the wonderful lawyers on this board, who I know are passionate, hard working people who legitimately love practicing law and chose it for a reason.

Almost everyone I know who has floundered around post-college and jumped from thing to doing things with short commitment time frames (missionary, Teach for America, internships, jobs that they kind of floundered at), basically decided after a few years that their next move would be law school.  It seems to me that a lot of people who are into jumping from short-term commitment to short-term commitment or who kind of flounder around post-undergrad end up being like "eh, I'll go to law school."  (And obviously, most of them don't go to Harvard Law, etc but schools like UoA, etc.) Even I at one time played with applying to law school as a back-up plan if I didn't get into my PhD program (I did), because I was in my early 20s with no kids/husband, I liked school in general, law sounded interesting enough, lots of my friends from undergrad were deciding to go at that time, and hey - what else was I gonna do that sounded at least interesting and challenging after I finished my MA?  I feel like "law school" is the go-to plan for a lot of us with undergrad degrees that aren't in the sciences and engineering. However, I didn't have kids and spouse with no job when I was floating around the idea of taking the LSAT and applying. I was 23 and the only responsibility I had was myself. (I ended up getting into the PhD program I wanted and didn't apply to law school.)

People in general also all seem to think being a lawyer = making tons of money, while that is definitely not the case given the amount of people who graduate law school these days in proportion to the jobs that are out there, especially the really well-paying jobs.  Lawyer does not equal "money" the way medical doctor equals "money," for example.  

Very few of them have extremely well-paying jobs post-law school; those almost always go to the Harvard Law-type law school grads and the very top grads at places like UoA.  About 15% of law school grads are unemployed. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/natalie-gregg/mamas-dont-let-your-babie_2_b_6457898.html I assume that this number is probably even higher outside of major cities like NYC, LA, DC, etc (so places like Arkansas). I personally know several lawyers who passed the bar and had trouble finding work or work that paid what they felt they could live on who are now working as high school teachers, community college instructors, and other jobs.  Basically every lawyer I know has graduated with ridiculous amounts (like tens of thousands) of dollars in student loans just for law school. Grants are unlikely and small if they exist.  Most scholarships are not full scholarships and require loans or someone who can fork out thousands for what the loans won't cover. There are very few full-tuition scholarships for law school and they are extremely competitive (ie: probably not Derrick unless he did amazing at the LSAT and graduated Oklahoma with a 3.9+ GPA).  Also, many law school students who don't have working spouses (ie: Jill) or wealthy families to help out take out additional loans for housing, medical insurance through the school for students, and to eat.  A family that has two kids and a spouse who stays home will need even more money to live than single student or married student with no kids. Unless Cathy or JB are fitting the bill for the family to live (or Duggar Ministries still has $ in their coffers), they'll need to take out loans to live (or ask for love offerings).  I have my doubts to whether or not JB would pay for schooling since he's anti-higher ed, Derrick has become persona-non-grata with the TLC money train, Derrick can't behave on social media/has led to his favorite Jilly being kicked off the show, and because I'm sure his golden boy Joshie has his panties in a twist over Derrick getting to go to law school and would fuss if Daddy dearest paid for it.  The Dillards are surely either hoping to grift more money to pay for this while using what's left from Duggar ministries or Cathy is paying, but I'm guessing there's probably likely substantial student debt that Derrick will be taking on and then entering the world post-law school with only to find getting a job as a lawyer isn't easy and that the pay is not what people expect. 

Basically, Derrick better hope the Duggar brand can hook him up with some kind of Fundie-law firm/Fundie think-tank group where he can be a lawyer and make good money at it, or he's in trouble and so is his family. Even if he finishes law school, Derrick may find that finding work as a lawyer is not a walk in the park. I wish Derrick the best and hope that maybe law school, his professors, and his fellow students will broaden his narrow little mind. 

(Side note: I work at a community college and we are always encouraged to discuss job prospects with students if they ask for advising help.  We had a guy from the state department of labor come talk to the faculty a couple of years ago about growing careers in our state and the country and careers with high unemployment or underemployment.  He said law school graduates are one of the highest number of educated unemployed people the department of labor has come to them looking for help finding jobs.  He said this is probably worth mentioning if a student wants to be a lawyer; don't necessarily dissuade them from it, but tell them the truth about the job prospects...because law schools and society at large likely won't do so. Also, I'm sorry for writing basically writing a book with this post.)

Honey, I’m just thrilled you had the energy to write this post!!

• Love 13

In 2016, 78% of first time test takers, at the University of Arkansas School of Law at Fayetteville passed.

In 2015, 73.2% passed. This one didn’t state if it only included first time test takers.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Someone else mentioned above that the law school class is predominantly male. 

It's also REALLY white.  I think I see a handful of black men and one black woman. The more things change, the more some things hardly change....

There is a female law professor, though, and I'm loving it, so yay UoA and I'm glad Derrick has a woman prof!  

May Derrick please be assigned to do group work with LGBTQ+ students and non-Christians and learn that they are people and don't need to be saved.  May exposure to others who are different save him from his hate-filled views and hate-filled heart. 

(Sidenote: I'm also interested in what UoA's rate of passing is for the bar exam.)

I see a lot of women in that picture.  Whereas Babe's show off picture showed no women, male instructor, and possibly no MOC.  

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, SMama said:

My daughter will get a locker Monday and is also excited. SGirl is eleven and there will be no pics.

I am more interested in your daughter’s locker. At eleven, she should be excited. Derick on the other hand ... not so much. 

• Love 19
45 minutes ago, Steff said:

Jill's recipes are like a daily writing assignment that she half asses her way thru just to get it done.   I'm imagining Dick Dillard leaving her a daily to do list on the table when he leaves each morning.  One of the things on the list is "make a blog post".  They've probably agreed that a recipe counts as a post, so she takes 20 minutes (it is Jill after all) and spits out a buttered bread recipe and checks it off the to do list.  There's no love, enjoyment, happiness, effort, or creativity in her recipes or the stories that go with them.   It's always "my mom made this" or "random family that no one knows made this once when I was 2".  It's clear she just doesn't put any effort into the recipes or the actual cooking. 

Well, she at least has to create her own picture instead of just stealing one, now that she knows that's illegal and Derick is a lawyer wannabe.  Since they both own the blog, getting caught for copyright violations could get him kicked out of law school.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Home fries is one the choices (that or hash browns) that typically comes with a breakfast where I live when one goes to a restaurant.  I cut them that size when I am roasting them with other veggies.  In my house roasted carrots/cauliflower is like candy and we cannot stop ourselves from eating them!

I refused to jump on the cauliflower bandwagon when it first started going viral---I mean, I liked it and I dipped it in ranch from a veggie plate, but it was never the focal point of my plate. Then I tried a roasted cauliflower with Slap ya Mama seasoning and it's like crack! I made 1 and a half heads the other day and ate the entire thing in a 24 hour period. 

• Love 16

I think I have been reading this forum too much.  This evening, I was driving home from work.  I was listening to the Beatles channel on SiriusXm and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" came on.  I suddenly came to the realization that I could easily see Derrick as Maxwell. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Jill’s recipe:

Sweet Potato Fries

3 Sweet Potatoes

Olive Oil

Salt

Pepper

I love how the recipe calls for 3 sweet potatoes and serves 3. There are no measurements given for the olive oil, salt or pepper so why does it have to be 3? Can it be adapted to serve 2? or 4?

• Love 14

Looking at the picture of Derrick and his “special magic locker” (At least he can hide his dorky briefcase) I noticed his new haircut - obviously done by Jill- is the same as Israel’s haircut. Yeah, way to impress with your little boy haircut, I’ll fitting suit and elf shoes. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Exactly this.

Please note I mean no offense to the wonderful lawyers on this board, who I know are passionate, hard working people who legitimately love practicing law and chose it for a reason.

Almost everyone I know who has floundered around post-college and jumped from thing to doing things with short commitment time frames (missionary, Teach for America, internships, jobs that they kind of floundered at), basically decided after a few years that their next move would be law school.  It seems to me that a lot of people who are into jumping from short-term commitment to short-term commitment or who kind of flounder around post-undergrad end up being like "eh, I'll go to law school."  (And obviously, most of them don't go to Harvard Law, etc but schools like UoA, etc.) Even I at one time played with applying to law school as a back-up plan if I didn't get into my PhD program (I did), because I was in my early 20s with no kids/husband, I liked school in general, law sounded interesting enough, lots of my friends from undergrad were deciding to go at that time, and hey - what else was I gonna do that sounded at least interesting and challenging after I finished my MA?  I feel like "law school" is the go-to plan for a lot of us with undergrad degrees that aren't in the sciences and engineering. However, I didn't have kids and spouse with no job when I was floating around the idea of taking the LSAT and applying. I was 23 and the only responsibility I had was myself. (I ended up getting into the PhD program I wanted and didn't apply to law school.)

People in general also all seem to think being a lawyer = making tons of money, while that is definitely not the case given the amount of people who graduate law school these days in proportion to the jobs that are out there, especially the really well-paying jobs.  Lawyer does not equal "money" the way medical doctor equals "money," for example.  

Very few of them have extremely well-paying jobs post-law school; those almost always go to the Harvard Law-type law school grads and the very top grads at places like UoA.  About 15% of law school grads are unemployed. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/natalie-gregg/mamas-dont-let-your-babie_2_b_6457898.html I assume that this number is probably even higher outside of major cities like NYC, LA, DC, etc (so places like Arkansas). I personally know several lawyers who passed the bar and had trouble finding work or work that paid what they felt they could live on who are now working as high school teachers, community college instructors, and other jobs.  Basically every lawyer I know has graduated with ridiculous amounts (like tens of thousands) of dollars in student loans just for law school. Grants are unlikely and small if they exist.  Most scholarships are not full scholarships and require loans or someone who can fork out thousands for what the loans won't cover. There are very few full-tuition scholarships for law school and they are extremely competitive (ie: probably not Derrick unless he did amazing at the LSAT and graduated Oklahoma with a 3.9+ GPA).  Also, many law school students who don't have working spouses (ie: Jill) or wealthy families to help out take out additional loans for housing, medical insurance through the school for students, and to eat.  A family that has two kids and a spouse who stays home will need even more money to live than single student or married student with no kids. Unless Cathy or JB are fitting the bill for the family to live (or Duggar Ministries still has $ in their coffers), they'll need to take out loans to live (or ask for love offerings).  I have my doubts to whether or not JB would pay for schooling since he's anti-higher ed, Derrick has become persona-non-grata with the TLC money train, Derrick can't behave on social media/has led to his favorite Jilly being kicked off the show, and because I'm sure his golden boy Joshie has his panties in a twist over Derrick getting to go to law school and would fuss if Daddy dearest paid for it.  The Dillards are surely either hoping to grift more money to pay for this while using what's left from Duggar ministries or Cathy is paying, but I'm guessing there's probably likely substantial student debt that Derrick will be taking on and then entering the world post-law school with only to find getting a job as a lawyer isn't easy and that the pay is not what people expect. 

Basically, Derrick better hope the Duggar brand can hook him up with some kind of Fundie-law firm/Fundie think-tank group where he can be a lawyer and make good money at it, or he's in trouble and so is his family. Even if he finishes law school, Derrick may find that finding work as a lawyer is not a walk in the park. I wish Derrick the best and hope that maybe law school, his professors, and his fellow students will broaden his narrow little mind. 

(Side note: I work at a community college and we are always encouraged to discuss job prospects with students if they ask for advising help.  We had a guy from the state department of labor come talk to the faculty a couple of years ago about growing careers in our state and the country and careers with high unemployment or underemployment.  He said law school graduates are one of the highest number of educated unemployed people the department of labor has come to them looking for help finding jobs.  He said this is probably worth mentioning if a student wants to be a lawyer; don't necessarily dissuade them from it, but tell them the truth about the job prospects...because law schools and society at large likely won't do so. Also, I'm sorry for writing basically writing a book with this post.)

You are doing the students such a favor by being honest with them!!! I wish I had had good advice around the time I entered college. Both high school and college counselors just said, "do what you love! Whatever major you choose, there will be a wonderful job waiting for you. Follow your passion!" My best friend had always wanted to be a nurse, and she decided to switch her major to history because the counselor convinced her that was her passion. She did eventually become a nurse, after taking a very circuitous route. Then, the economy collapsed my junior year, and it was like, "never mind! None of you will find jobs now! Oooops!" Now that I am at a career crossroad, after quitting chorus teaching due to my asshole boss (a job I mostly loved, but no jobs are open for this year), I still am not sure what I want to do! I wish someone had sat down with me at some point and helped me sort through my options, identifying what I reasonably would be good at that was in demand. I don't want to just blindly pick something and go back to school, but I would consider school if I got into a job I loved and needed more education to advance. I'm currently looking for a job, and hoping that it will help nudge me in a direction that would be a good fit for me. However, when  do start to feel down on myself, I realize I am at least way ahead of Derick! ?

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Who even needs a recipe for oven roasted potatoes?  How difficult is it to cut up some potatoes, oil and season them up, and bake until done.

The people who do need a recipe need an actual recipe! She gives no suggestions for amount of olive oil, salt, or pepper. If I were a new cook, I would be frustrated and find another recipe online...and then always go to that other site because any other site would have better recipes than Jill’s!

• Love 11