Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

It was nice to see the Seewalds at a book store but the rest of Ivy’s birthday week was underwhelming. I find it annoying how Jessa refers to Ivy as “sis” all the time, but that’s just me. 

So far Jessa’s new home is kind of boring. The quartz countertops and back splash were  nice but the long discussion about the door knobs lost me. Also can you child proof those kitchen cabinets? Maybe Jessa doesn’t care about that. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

It was nice to see the Seewalds at a book store but the rest of Ivy’s birthday week was underwhelming. I find it annoying how Jessa refers to Ivy as “sis” all the time, but that’s just me. 

"Sis" is a regional thing peculiar to Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and parts of Kansas. Not really my thing either, but it doesn't annoy me.

I find their home to be just kind of "there". I don't think there is anything wrong with the house, but I don't find it to be something worth making a video about, either. If I were following her videos, I would be disappointed at how dull they are.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

So far Jessa’s new home is kind of boring. The quartz countertops and back splash were  nice but the long discussion about the door knobs lost me. Also can you child proof those kitchen cabinets? Maybe Jessa doesn’t care about that. 

Not only don't the cabinets seem childproof-able, like another poster said, they look dangerous. Sharpish handles at kid eye level?!

• Love 13
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

We don't have a/c here in NoCal. My bedroom is currently 89 degrees. I don't know how we'll sleep tonight. 

Germany doesn't do aircon so in the summer, it's torture unless you know what to do. Do you have sun foil for windows in the US? Get some, to stick on the outside of the glass. It'll make a huuuge difference. And then get some wind machines to place inside the open window at night and let it run til early morning. The air will be much much cooler that way

89 Degrees F is 31 degrees C.......fooooking hell. That's mad

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Jessa is a VERY boring designer.  White, black, white, white, black. The wood cabinets are nice, and I was looking for the one Ivy marked up.  Anybody see it?

ETA: We use our bedroom ceiling fan all year long.  It's nice to have some air movement in the winter too.

She something about future vids and some interesting things decor-wise for the kids’ rooms. I said to my cat, “I bet they’re just as boring as the rest of her house.”  I did like the cabinets but not the door pulls, the living room pantry is weird, and I think the kids bathroom needs a fun shower curtain or toothbrush holder. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, AnnaBaptist said:

Sis" is a regional thing peculiar to Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and parts of Kansas. Not really my thing either, but it doesn't annoy me.

It’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. 

• Like 3
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Nysha said:

Henry is starting to show the same blank look. It's like watching a child sink into despair in real time. Poor Spurgeon doesn't even know what's wrong because everyone in his life is just as boring. 

That said, Ivy was sweet and enthusiastic about her toys even if she didn't know what it was, like the slinky. Are Ben's parents having financial problems? I'm not sure about the tiny backpack, but everything else was from a Dollar Store. Although, I do that sometimes with my grandchildren in-between Christmas & birthdays because they're still young enough to think the number of gifts is more important that the quality and my daughter walks through the house after they go to bed and throws their toys in the trash. 

I read your post a couple times and I’m curious, why does your daughter throw their toys in the trash?

is it because they have too many?

• Like 4

Most likely Jessa will  have more children....why did they select a stove with the knobs "kid-level"? I'm concerned about burners being turned on by children who can reach them. Jessa is a terrible narrator, she is so cold and boring. Is this the first time she hauled her crew over to the Seewalds for a birthday video? She always brought the kids to the "big house". I imagine no more of that...the Duggars are in mourning for their favorite son.

Her children, yes, I agree, are grossly under-stimulated. Spurgie and now Henry seem to be...well, "strange" to me. They don't come across as normal,, regular little boys. Spurge is nerdy IMO. His clothing always looks uncomfortable but he doesn't know any better. Why is Ben not stepping up to the plate here and "be the headship"? I noticed how messy Jessa's house was in the video. When Ivy was walking in a bedroom, bed pillows were on the floor! A mess in that room. She also does not use zippered pillow liners under the pillow cases. How can Ben continue to live in such a filthy, messy house with no real regular meals? I noticed the stark contrast in Gwinn's house. It is pleasantly decorated, clean and neat. How he must miss his parents' house. Speak up, Ben. Jessa does not enjoy her life with her children. She films them behind her phone. She is working their birthdays, events, etc. Did she ever say if they purchased that new house? 

• Sad 6
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Most likely Jessa will  have more children....why did they select a stove with the knobs "kid-level"? I'm concerned about burners being turned on by children who can reach them.

My thought also, and no correction by Jessa. 🤦‍♀️. Even if it’s not hooked up at this time, act like it is.

1FBA6BEF-61A5-4839-8D0C-C8AAACDB804D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 10
  • Sad 5
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

My thought also, and no correction by Jessa. 🤦‍♀️. Even if it’s not hooked up at this time, act like it is.

And she standing there playing with the knobs.  My parents would have taught me to keep my hands off it and then taught me the proper way to use it when cooking.   Eveything is a toy in their household it seems

• Love 21
10 hours ago, AnnaBaptist said:

"Sis" is a regional thing peculiar to Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and parts of Kansas. Not really my thing either, but it doesn't annoy me.

As an Arkansan (different part of the state), this is true. I really don’t hear it often in my generation or younger, but I can think of three ladies in my grandparents’ social circle who are known to everyone as “Sis + last name”. I always thought it was odd. But, like I said, in my area, you don’t hear it that often in younger generations. More common in the “country” areas/families.

When my oldest niece started talking, she started calling her big brother “bubba” and we did everything possible to break her from it. He was such a “preppy” little guy and “bubba” conjures very different images…

Speaking of images, little Ivy playing with the stove knobs is terrifying.

• Like 9
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

Speaking of images, little Ivy playing with the stove knobs is terrifying.

If Ivy managed to turn on a burner and was in danger of starting a fire, Jessa's first instinct wouldn't be to pull her away, it would be to grab her phone and start filming.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 11
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

If Ivy managed to turn on a burner and was in danger of starting a fire, Jessa's first instinct wouldn't be to pull her away, it would be to grab her phone and start filming.

Well, Jessa is her mother's daughter!

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

Well, Jessa is her mother's daughter!

Exactly! This is what happens when a woman who doesn't have a heart for children has 19 of them. So much her mother's daughter in the saddest sense of the meaning.

• Sad 10
  • Love 7

a few things...my moms nickname is Sis...and my daughter throws away her kids toys at night too...because her mother in law buys so much crap...even when my daughter threatens to do it per the MIL...she still does it...so I let the kids order books from amazon  or give them something they can experience...like ice cream gf, zoo or movie tickets...and as far as Jesse and her messy house ...she does not know any better so its all normal to her...the danger aspect too..she never learned...so her brain is jacked up ...I too grew up in a crazy insulated house and environment...my whole life revolved around 3 streets in the neighborhood and my local catholic grade and high school...their was no outside world connection...no other influence...it was a generational clannish thing in my family...my mom and Dad just never ventured beyond...and their were benefits to it too though...skating every sunday, fish fry's ...we did things as a community...but...I went out into the world and learned...I did learn what was acceptable and not acceptable...the thing with Jesse is...she is still insulated within the clan...so the way she is living is her normal...and she really , really cannot see it..and if she does  - like at Gwens house...she probably does not have the mental skill to know how to obtain it...

• Like 2
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2

Hmmm… so Jessa chose rustic distressed cabinets and a farm sink but also Hassan “modern” countertop and backsplash and modern drawer pulls. 

She has a schizophrenic kitchen. 

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

I live in Louisiana and I don't have ceiling fans.  If I did, I'd never use them.  I can't stand to have a fan on me.  I don't mind outdoor breezes, but not a fan indoors.  Of course, I'm cold natured and I keep the A/C at only 76 in summer.  

Ivy is cute as a button.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

It’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. 

For me it’s when people excessively call their child “son”. Totally fine as a thing to call your child generally but I have clients who will call their baby “son” 50x over the course of an appointment at the beginning and end of most sentences. “Son, why are you crying, son?  Son, it’s ok, son.”

6 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

And she standing there playing with the knobs.  My parents would have taught me to keep my hands off it and then taught me the proper way to use it when cooking.   Eveything is a toy in their household it seems

And yet she’s filming and posting it 🙄

6 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Wait - we’re supposed to be doing that? 😃

Lol there is so much I learn on here that I’m supposed to be doing and didn’t know!  😁

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Too much work. 

She'll learn. She'll leave an empty pan, a wooden spoon or a potholder on the stove and Ivy or Fern will turn in on. Hopefully Jessa will catch it before the smoke detectors do.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

She'll learn. She'll leave an empty pan, a wooden spoon or a potholder on the stove and Ivy or Fern will turn in on. Hopefully Jessa will catch it before the smoke detectors do.

It’s not just lighting something on fire. If you turn those knobs right, all you get is gas coming out into your kitchen. Better check those before you head to your day at the TTH. 

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Teriacky said:

Hmmm… so Jessa chose rustic distressed cabinets and a farm sink but also Hassan “modern” countertop and backsplash and modern drawer pulls. 

She has a schizophrenic kitchen. 

Yet she thinks she’s teaching her viewers something. Just like with her pathetic home haircuts.

5 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I live in Louisiana and I don't have ceiling fans.  If I did, I'd never use them.  I can't stand to have a fan on me.  I don't mind outdoor breezes, but not a fan indoors.  Of course, I'm cold natured and I keep the A/C at only 76 in summer.  

Ivy is cute as a button.

I have trouble sleeping without the fan noise. Otherwise it’s too quiet!

5 hours ago, awaken said:

For me it’s when people excessively call their child “son”. Totally fine as a thing to call your child generally but I have clients who will call their baby “son” 50x over the course of an appointment at the beginning and end of most sentences. “Son, why are you crying, son?  Son, it’s ok, son

This is all just cringey and bizarre to me. WTF?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/9/2022 at 5:21 PM, Tuxcat said:

But Ben's parents gave Ivy an unwrapped slinky, notepad, chapstick and a brush sooo...?

They could only buy her four gifts because the Dollar Tree raised their prices to $1.25, and they had to keep to their $5 budget . Seriously, these people are loonies. That poor little girl!

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
On 6/11/2022 at 8:22 AM, floridamom said:

She always brought the kids to the "big house". I imagine no more of that...the Duggars are in mourning for their favorite son.

I'm not entirely sure if my dates are right but I thought Ivy's birthday occurred the same week (if not day) that Josh was sentenced. If that's right then I can understand her not filming at the TTH that week. 

Also I noticed they currently have a stove with front knobs. They make knob covers and things which she should invest in if she keeps having more and more kids. Though at this rate, Spurgeon looks like he's going to be the enforcer of all order soon.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Regarding the timing, I think Jessa does the present week to culminate with the birthday. I believe Ivy's birthday was the 26th, and they were in Little Rock. Smuggar was sentenced on the 25th, so it makes sense that there were no festivities at the Big House.

• Useful 6
On 6/11/2022 at 2:27 AM, Joan of Argh said:

I read your post a couple times and I’m curious, why does your daughter throw their toys in the trash?

is it because they have too many?

She has some mental health issues and doesn't clean or pick-up on a daily basis. Once or twice a week she will go through the house after the kids go to bed and toss everything she doesn't want (dishes, toys, clothes) into a garbage & take it outside to the trash bin. The kids have learned to take the things they want to keep into their rooms at night, but sometimes they don't. I found out about this on a visit when she cleaned under the couch and was going to toss the Batmobile RC car I'd given my grandson for Christmas.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 11
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/11/2022 at 6:47 AM, BigBingerBro said:

And she standing there playing with the knobs.  My parents would have taught me to keep my hands off it and then taught me the proper way to use it when cooking.   Everything is a toy in their household it seems

I'm going to chalk this up to Jessa's lack of high school education. I learned in my HS child development class (mandatory for all junior girls) to buy a stove with the top buttons when you have small children b/c they like to turn knobs. This was in the 70s, so things might have changed a bit since then.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

It’s all in how children are parented, in my opinion. We had a wood burner in our family room when my daughters were little. They didn’t touch it at all, if it was in use or not. If Jessa would actually say  something and be consistent, filming or not, her kids wouldn’t be playing with the knobs, in my opinion, of course.

• Like 8
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It’s all in how children are parented, in my opinion. We had a wood burner in our family room when my daughters were little. They didn’t touch it at all, if it was in use or not. If Jessa would actually say  something and be consistent, filming or not, her kids wouldn’t be playing with the knobs, in my opinion, of course.

We also had a wood stove in our previous house, in the 80's, when my daughter was a baby until she was grade school age.  We never had a problem with her crawling or walking too close to it, as she was watched and told not to get close.  

Jessa has too many very young children to watch and instruct properly, IMO.  I hope the kids can stay safe in spite of that.

• Like 3
  • Love 9

I believe the very last bit of the video Jessa show Ivy in a rocker (I think) and mentions celebrating with her parents, but there is just that quick shot where Ivy is dressed differently than she was at the Sewald’s. I could be mistaken though, as I only watched the video once.

• Useful 4
32 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

I believe the very last bit of the video Jessa show Ivy in a rocker (I think) and mentions celebrating with her parents, but there is just that quick shot where Ivy is dressed differently than she was at the Sewald’s. I could be mistaken though, as I only watched the video once.

I wouldn't be surprised. I think non-holiday gatherings at the TTH are now down to the Seewald's, the Lost Girls, JB & M, Tyler and Jackson, Anna and kids and maybe Jana and Laura. So I'm guessing with Anna's brood making up almost half of the guests it would be hard to film around them.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 6/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, ginger90 said:

That’s a nice quality, expensive stove. I hope she puts it to good use. 

• LOL 17

Jessa tried to hide the kids' bedroom furniture in the video, but it looks like maybe the boys have white bunkbeds. And if what I caught a glimpse of was Ivy's bed, its absolutely adorable.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/12/2022 at 7:39 PM, xwordfanatik said:

We also had a wood stove in our previous house, in the 80's, when my daughter was a baby until she was grade school age.  We never had a problem with her crawling or walking too close to it, as she was watched and told not to get close.  

Jessa has too many very young children to watch and instruct properly, IMO.  I hope the kids can stay safe in spite of that.

My son never touched the stove. He never opened a cabinet or threw anything down the toilet. I kept an eye out on him but he just didn't. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Yeah, one of those kids is definitely going to turn on a burner if they don’t remove the knobs. I came home from work one day to find one of my gas burners on, and it clearly had been on for some time. My cat had tried to jump on the stove (she was a terrible jumper) and had to scramble with her back paws, turning on the burner in the process. I yelled at her and then hugged her and cried (she was my precious Best Girl). After that, I removed the knobs until I turned on the stove.

[I assume it was my cat, since I lived alone in a studio apartment. Although I guess it could have been a ghost.]

• Like 3
  • Wink 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
(edited)
12 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Yeah, one of those kids is definitely going to turn on a burner if they don’t remove the knobs. I came home from work one day to find one of my gas burners on, and it clearly had been on for some time. My cat had tried to jump on the stove (she was a terrible jumper) and had to scramble with her back paws, turning on the burner in the process. I yelled at her and then hugged her and cried (she was my precious Best Girl). After that, I removed the knobs until I turned on the stove.

[I assume it was my cat, since I lived alone in a studio apartment. Although I guess it could have been a ghost.]

One of my dogs set my kitchen on fire a few months back.  I'd left a spoon on the stove after cooking dinner.  After I went to bed, Maggie, who never met a leftover she didn't love, apparently jumped at the stove to get the spoon and inadvertently turned the knob and lit a burner.  I awoke to the sound of the fire alarm, went downstairs where there was  smoke, only to walk into the kitchen and see a pile of mail which I'd left on the counter next to the stove burning.  Luckily, I put it out easily and nothing was damaged, but I went out and bought knob covers the next day.  

Jessa just doesn't seem to notice or care what her kids are doing; most people, including me, take better care of their pets than she does her children.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7

Every normal Mom looked at that part of the video and knew that they would have stopped and corrected Ivy. That was a teaching moment. But there's another aspect to it. If Jessa had any common sense, she would not have included that part of the video for public viewing! That tells me that it never even occurred to her that Ivy was doing anything dangerous. Keeping your kids safe is #1 on the agenda, Jessa!

• Like 7
  • Love 9

She should tell the kids that they are not to be behind the island in the kitchen for any reason unless she is with them.

I would have used different wood for the cabinet in the living room, even if it is meant to be used as a pantry.

• Like 2
  • Love 2