Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Moose135 said:
20 hours ago, elle said:

Does anyone know the name of the song playing under the new CNN promo?  It’s driving me crazy, I can almost remember it but it is just on the edge of memory.  

17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Is it Billy Joel's A Matter of Trust?   

Yes, it is. It's even their name for the spot:

A song about 'trust' promoting CNN?  What a contradiction that is!

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 12/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, Ashforth said:

Peter! What a perfect name. Seemed like Mom and Dan got up just in time to delay some kitchen counter sibling sex.

This has completely ruined the original one for me which I always looked forward to seeing.

• Love 3

Whoopsie! I said "Mom and Dan" instead of "Mom and Dad" in regard to the updated and largely regarded as creepily incestuous Folgers ad. Maybe Dad's name is Dan, but I have no personal knowledge of that LOL.

It is too bad that Folger's "updated," because that original Folger's ad was very sweet, if a little eye-rolly. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, Folgers!

And now I realize that the updated ad was from more than ten years ago. Do they still run it?

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 3

I haven't seen it in a while.  Unlike the M&Ms and Kisses Bells commercials, the original Peter ad reads as dated.  That's fine for a lot of us, but I doubt Folgers wants to show a commercial that is very obviously many decades old (although that signed off on that creepy father-in-law in the shower commercial, so).   I'm sure that's why they remade the Peter commercial, to play on the sentimentality while looking current.  When that failed miserably they probably gave up.   Maybe they'll find a better casting agent and director and try again but I doubt they'll ever use the original.  I don't know why some of these companies don't use their old ads on MeTV and the like.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

I don't know why some of these companies don't use their old ads on MeTV and the like.

What cracks me up on Buzzr are the consolation prizes. Sarah Coventry Jewelry!  Whoo hoooo! A year's supply of Aqua Net! Rice-A-Roni (the San Francisco Treat). Whatever happened to Sarah Coventry?  Hazel Bishop lipstick?  Bwaahahahaha.

But ... there's GOOD NEWS!!  Medicare's Open Enrollment is over in less than a week!!  We'll still get those ads - they seem to run year 'round - but not as frequently.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What cracks me up on Buzzr are the consolation prizes. Sarah Coventry Jewelry!  Whoo hoooo! A year's supply of Aqua Net! Rice-A-Roni (the San Francisco Treat). Whatever happened to Sarah Coventry?  Hazel Bishop lipstick?  Bwaahahahaha.

Seeing those old prizes on the recent marathon of Alex Trebeck’s episodes as host of Classic Concentration made me realize the only worthwhile prizes are the trips and money, and the memories of the trip will last longer than the money. 

• Love 5

Walgreens latest ad. Ditzy woman who needs the Walgreens app to remind her of everything. She's riding her scooter and wipes out, and a man (her husband, significant other? as he's seen in the end of the ad giving her a piggyback ride) puts a bandaid on her knee. She's sitting doing yoga and the app tells her theres a lot of flu activity in her area and Walgreens gives flu shots. She just seems like a scatterbrained ditz. Not the message Walgreens was going for, I'm sure. But I want to punch her. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 11/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Cross posted from the Holiday Commercials thread, but the "updated" Hershey Kisses Christmas ad pisses me the hell off. (First world problems, I know.)

ME TOO! You know why? Because ever since my cat was a kitten (he's 7 now), he has loved that commercial. He comes a'running from wherever he is, or just wakes up from a nap on the couch with his ears all perky, and runs up to the TV. It's so cute. Sometimes we find it on YouTube for him during the rest of the year, but that's not as cute and fun as when it comes on TV on its own.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Whatever happened to Sarah Coventry? 

I actually live not far from where Sarah Coventry was headquartered(Newark, NY).

I need to start watching BUZZR(it’s not available in my area, but I do have the PlutoTV app).  It’s neat that they still show the consolation prizes; GSN edits them out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I saw another Chime-esque commercial the other day, but can't remember the name of the app.  Even though this one didn't have the punchable "I walk into the office boasting that I already got paid" chick, it has this dweeby guy claiming, "I don't ever have to wait in line at the bank again".  Dude - where have you been?  A majority of companies offer direct deposit to employees that loads your paycheck to your checking account or paycard. 

They try to make banking sound soooooooo hard to sell the convenience.  Reminds me of those infomercials showing someone struggling to flip an egg in a pan by scraping it with a spatula like they're sawing wood before having it wind up on the floor.   But..... with the Ronco Slip n' Flip. your eggs will glide around effortlessly in the pan allowing for easy flip.  Clean up is a breeze and no mess on walls, floors, stove or ceiling!

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
37 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Lordy I had it in 1990!

I had it in 1985

Wow - I can't recall getting paid via direct deposit prior to 2000.  Especially in the 80s where a couple of small companies I worked for did manual payroll and hand written checks!

On 11/27/2020 at 3:18 PM, Bastet said:

I cannot handle Kristin Chenoweth's voice.  And I know she can't help what her voice sounds like, so I feel bad about that, but then I remember that my cousin who likes pretty much everyone went to college with her and couldn't stand her, and I go about my day.

Yes she can, by using voice coaches or speech therapists.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:19 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Ah, the good old days, when we actually had quality commercials to shill coffee!

I also remember the Country Crock Couple always holding hands -- that's all we saw; their hands.  They made a series of those commercials IIRC.  Or maybe I just remember seeing the same one over and over so much it seemed like a series.

Am I the only one who automatically hears "Country crock full of shit" whenever this airs?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

ME TOO! You know why? Because ever since my cat was a kitten (he's 7 now), he has loved that commercial. He comes a'running from wherever he is, or just wakes up from a nap on the couch with his ears all perky, and runs up to the TV. It's so cute. Sometimes we find it on YouTube for him during the rest of the year, but that's not as cute and fun as when it comes on TV on its own.

Awww, poor kitty!

I did read that Hershey's issued a statement that BOTH commercials would soon be running. Not surprising as the backlash grew and made the Today show and news outlets! People want comfort and tradition, ESPECIALLY in a year like 2020!

15 hours ago, Maverick said:

I haven't seen it in a while.  Unlike the M&Ms and Kisses Bells commercials, the original Peter ad reads as dated. 

I remember that ad; it ran FOREVER. The little girl in it probably has kids or even grandkids by now. But it was sweet. Still, yeah, that one did seem a bit dated. Still, if it did its job and people liked it, a la the Hershey's ad, nothing wrong with seeing it!

• Love 11
On 11/27/2020 at 6:18 PM, Bastet said:

I cannot handle Kristin Chenoweth's voice.  And I know she can't help what her voice sounds like, so I feel bad about that, but then I remember that my cousin who likes pretty much everyone went to college with her and couldn't stand her, and I go about my day.

50 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Yes she can, by using voice coaches or speech therapists.

Yeah, I kinda doubt Kristin Chenoweth is in the market for voice coaches or speech therapists at this point in her career. I happen to like her, based on roles I’ve seen her in (Pushing Daisies, The West Wing), but like her or hate her, that’s just how she is. 

• Love 8

I don't think Kristin Chenowith would do anything that might interfere with her singing voice.

The commercial that infuriates me is the Allstate one with people driving with stuff on their roofs.  Most are funny until they get to the guy with the goldfish.  If he's that irresponsible he shouldn't be entrusted with the care of a living creature.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Does anyone know why the people in the commercial call them "Cheeto snacks" and not just "Cheetos"?  Annoys the hell out of me.

I think Cheeto Snacks encompasses all the different flavors, while Cheetos just refers to the cheese Cheetos.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

The commercial that infuriates me is the Allstate one with people driving with stuff on their roofs.  Most are funny until they get to the guy with the goldfish.  If he's that irresponsible he shouldn't be entrusted with the care of a living creature.

I feel the same way - I think that commercial is funny, but having a pet as one of the things someone forgets is on top of their car ruins the whole thing.

• Love 8

Peaches, I think that instant espresso would be 100% Ina Garten approved.

Regarding the discussion of Medicare commercials (make them stop!), the one that's set up like a talk show with the guy interviewing Rhonda is the one that's bugging me right now.

• Love 4

I don’t know if Elton John owns the rights to his own music because at one time, a lot of singers were selling their portfolios to record companies for huge sums of money, and he might have done that.  

It has been years, but I did once see an interview with Elton John where he laughed at the rumours of his being broke, and he mentioned that he owned his own publishing so he didn't need to ever worry about money.  Of course that could have changed.  I just wonder if he ever hears, "I shopped for jeans online, last night.  And body wash, just for men" and thinks the money wasn't worth it.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, bankerchick said:

It has been years, but I did once see an interview with Elton John where he laughed at the rumours of his being broke, and he mentioned that he owned his own publishing so he didn't need to ever worry about money.  Of course that could have changed.  I just wonder if he ever hears, "I shopped for jeans online, last night.  And body wash, just for men" and thinks the money wasn't worth it.

Or Elton could just have the mindset that any exposure is good no matter what, and always says yes when people want to use his music. Because I certainly end up with Rocketman stuck in my head after seeing a Rakutan commercial. And I don’t even like that song.

• Love 6

UGH, "everyone's crunching!" That fucking Nestle commercial makes me want to rage the hell out! That waitress at the end, especially; although it's funny when she just drops the tray, the way she chews makes me nuts! It looks like she's keeping the food way in the front of her mouth and/or unfunnily imitating a squirrel with only gums and no teeth.

• LOL 1

Kariyake, you could be right but I would be surprised to find that Elton John felt like he needed more exposure.

You hear Rocket Man when you see the Rakuten commercial.  I will forever hear the Rakuten commercial whenever Rocket Man, a beautiful song, comes on the radio.  It is ruined for me now.  

The commercial for some Medicare Benefits service, dial 1-800-whatever? It’s pronounced “hundred”! HunDred! Two syllables! With a “D” in the middle!

Not “hun-ner-red”!

And he says it over, and over, and over... I want to reach through the TV and smack him.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

The commercial for some Medicare Benefits service, dial 1-800-whatever? It’s pronounced “hundred”! HunDred! Two syllables! With a “D” in the middle!

Not “hun-ner-red”!

And he says it over, and over, and over... I want to reach through the TV and smack him.

OMG! Stuff like that drives me up a wall.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, tres bien said:

We need a countdown clock.  Medicare benefits open enrollment ends Monday!

Oh, that won't stop them. I bet we'll still inundated with supplemental insurance ads until at the least the first of the year. Still it is something to look forward to.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, that won't stop them. I bet we'll still inundated with supplemental insurance ads until at the least the first of the year. Still it is something to look forward to.

Ugh, it just came on again!  And not only is it "one eight hunnerred" -- he also says "one hunnerred percent"!  Stop!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I get the Medicare supplement plans, especially with Joe Willie, year round, just not as many as during open season.  

Me too. And the ASPCA woeful ads have begun. They will fill the void left from the Medicare ads. ☹️

• Love 1

Now they've gone and mucked up the Corona Christmas ad. I used to love the elegant simplicity of a lone shack on the beach, soft music and then the palm tree that suddenly lights up with Christmas lights. To me it was like a signal that said "Ding, it's now the season."

• Love 8
6 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Not “hun-ner-red”!

My mother absolutely HATES that ad.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Kariyake, you could be right but I would be surprised to find that Elton John felt like he needed more exposure.

You hear Rocket Man when you see the Rakuten commercial.  I will forever hear the Rakuten commercial whenever Rocket Man, a beautiful song, comes on the radio.  It is ruined for me now.  

That's me and Crystal Pepsi whenever I hear Van Halen's "Right Now," which, luckily, is not very often.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Now they've gone and mucked up the Corona Christmas ad. I used to love the elegant simplicity of a lone shack on the beach, soft music and then the palm tree that suddenly lights up with Christmas lights. To me it was like a signal that said "Ding, it's now the season."

What did they do? I saw it yesterday and it was same as always. 

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Not “hun-ner-red”!

I think I've heard that one a hunred times today alone.  I can't reach the remote fast enough! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1