Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

There's a new Chime commercial with a seemingly girl-next-door type attractive woman standing in front of a white screen background but when she talks all I can concentrate on is that snaggletooth* on the left upper side (to your right) of her mouth.  Then she's holding her cell phone sporting quite the bridal set of engagement and wedding ring combo, all sparkly covered with diamonds.  Her husband can't pay for her to have her teeth fixed if he's that rich? 

I just went to Youtube to see that one.  Still - it doesn't bug me nearly an nth as much as the 'boasting' vocal fry of this woman

• Love 6

I can't stand Amy Schumer, and am baffled that anybody thinks she's an attractive spokesperson for their product, so color me biased from the get-go.

The latest Always pad commercial where she pulls down a chart to illustrate all the different absorbencies or whatever-the girl in the stall tells her she wants a regular strength one for today, and an extra strength one for tomorrow? Bitch, she's offering an emergency tampon. not a lifetime supply. Also, who can get through a whole day on just one tampon, whatever the strength is? Plus I'm pretty sure the package tells you not to leave it in place for more than 4-8 hours.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wait... Elmer Fudd has a mansion?

Heh!  Brought back my Bugs Bunny cartoon days.  There was an episode where a doctor hypnotized Bugs Bunny into thinking he was a wealthy Elmer J Fudd but having him repeat, "I am Elmer J Fudd, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht".  Likewise, Elmer was hypnotized to think he was a bunny rabbit (wabbit)

3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I can't stand Amy Schumer, and am baffled that anybody thinks she's an attractive spokesperson for their product, so color me biased from the get-go.

I'm in the same box of crayons with you - I think she's an absolutely disgusting pig (sorry - hot flashes make me uber-salty)

20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm still annoyed that Letterman got his gap fixed

Imagine the devestation if Michael Strahan fixed his gap?

On 11/7/2020 at 6:27 PM, Kimboweena said:

Using Rocket Man in the Rakuten commercial makes me stabby

I'm more stabby over the fact that they changed the name to Rakuten from eBates.  The latter made much more sense.

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, brickthru the tv said:

all I can say about any fluking commercial - its called recording the show and blasting thru the irritating mindless tv ads (HAHAHA marketers)

breaking news!!!!!!!!! Toyota has a car sale!!!!!

more breaking news toyota Jan is wearing Yellow!!!!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 11/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, Annber03 said:

I thought "Dynamite" was a Bruno Mars song, it has that kind of sound to it.

I'm not super familiar with BTS' music, but I've seen them on Colbert a couple times and they seem like fun. As someone who had her own boy band phase back in the day, I totally get the appeal :D.

sorry BTS has one letter too many - guess which one

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

The latest Always pad commercial where she pulls down a chart to illustrate all the different absorbencies or whatever-the girl in the stall tells her she wants a regular strength one for today, and an extra strength one for tomorrow? Bitch, she's offering an emergency tampon. not a lifetime supply. Also, who can get through a whole day on just one tampon, whatever the strength is? Plus I'm pretty sure the package tells you not to leave it in place for more than 4-8 hours.

Color me firmly in the  anti-Schumer camp. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

In one of the cartoons yes, he was a millionaire and owned a mansion and a yacht.

My neighbor put a quote from that cartoon under his yearbook photo in terms of what he wanted to accomplish after graduating.   He was just being a smart ass to see if anyone would pickup on it.  He wanted to be "a millionaire and own a mansion and a yacht."

Growing up, on Saturday mornings that is all I watched, Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo.  

MeTV has started airing commercials for old cartoons they will be airing on Saturday mornings starting in January.  I think that is a great move on their part.  Anything is better than the stale lineup they have been running.

Is it just my imagination or are commercials getting awfully repetitive lately?   It seems like I am seeing the same seven or eight commercials over and over again each half hour.   Is it too much to ask for them to mix it up?   They're not even clever, just boring and informative. 

The Charmin Bears must have gone into hibernation, I have not seen those bears in a very long time. 

Taking to Small Talk.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Imagine the devestation if Michael Strahan fixed his gap?

I don't know who that is. I'm satisfied being annoyed with Dave.

I canNOT watch the Dupixent ad where that woman puts her purse over her head and runs through the rain in heels, LEAPING off the sidewalk, not being able to use her arms for counter-balance 'cause she's gotta protect her hairdo with her purse, y'know.  I fell while running in the rain when I was 18 and had to have 24 stitches in my knee which was never quite right after that, and finally got it replaced when I was 52. Lady, your hair and getting to your car that quickly are not THAT important.

• Love 13
On 10/28/2020 at 2:12 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Yes there is.  I've eaten the whole prepared servings in one sitting and soon after threw up!

I've eaten the whole box/bowl exclusively. It's a meal.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Agree with Amy Schumer and her super absorbent big mouth.  You are correct, the max time is 8 hours.  This is not a one a day product!

11 hours ago, tres bien said:

The new/current We're CNN commercial annoys me.

I might like it if they had left the CNN anchors out if it.

I haven't seen it because I don't watch CNN or the anchors in it.  Pretty much guaranteed I won't ever see it either!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There is that little voice in my head that is screaming "don't make a smart ass comment, don't make a smart ass comment."

Screw it.

I have never used said product, but I don't think her face is involved.  That said, given that it is her one never knows where she would put the damn thing.

See my post above before I read this post about AS's super absorbent mouth.  🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I have hesitated posting this but I've reached a point where I can no longer take the Qunol Turmeric commercial with the young doctor in the blue scrubs.

He not once, not twice, but at least three times pronounces the word TURMERIC like this: TURMRIC. What the heck is this?? Why is he leaving out a vowel?? What is the reason for that?

It's gotten so whenever I hear that little jingle and look up and see the blue boy I turn the sound down because I can't handle it. Where was the diction department during the filming of this??

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ReviewX said:

He not once, not twice, but at least three times pronounces the word TURMERIC like this: TURMRIC. What the heck is this?? Why is he leaving out a vowel?? What is the reason for that?

Even though I consider myself pretty familiar with spices (I have 4 drawers full of Penzeys bags LOL), until fairly recently I did not realize that this one had an "R." So in my head I always pronounced it TU-mer-ic. Thus his pronunciation is particularly jarring to me!

• Love 7
On 11/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, configdotsys said:

Using Rocket Man in the Rakuten commercial makes me stabby. I always get a bit sad to hear a classic song being used to sell something. When the commercial using the classic song is fucking stupid, it just makes it worse.  

Kinda like Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" for some product?  That commercial is played ALL THE TIME and Brianna? The girl on the horse in the middle of a downtown area, fliming herself with her phone, makes me stabby.  Be safe, girl!  

DId Lindsey Buckingham need the money that bad?  Or does he not own the song anymore?

• Love 7
On 11/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, configdotsys said:

Using Rocket Man in the Rakuten commercial makes me stabby. I always get a bit sad to hear a classic song being used to sell something. When the commercial using the classic song is fucking stupid, it just makes it worse.  

The worst part for me is that the song is a total earworm, but now when that snippet plays over and over again in my head (usually when I'm trying to go to sleep) instead of "Rocket Man" I hear "Rakuten". Damn you Elton John! Damn you Rakuten! Damn you to Hell!

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, ReviewX said:

I have hesitated posting this but I've reached a point where I can no longer take the Qunol Turmeric commercial with the young doctor in the blue scrubs.

He also boasts about it's 'sperior sorption' (superior absorption).

• Love 3
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

Even though I consider myself pretty familiar with spices (I have 4 drawers full of Penzeys bags LOL), until fairly recently I did not realize that this one had an "R." So in my head I always pronounced it TU-mer-ic. Thus his pronunciation is particularly jarring to me!

OMG thank goodness I'm not the only one who pronounced it TU-mer-ic!  I didn't realize it had that extra "R" either.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ashforth said:

The worst part for me is that the song is a total earworm, but now when that snippet plays over and over again in my head (usually when I'm trying to go to sleep) instead of "Rocket Man" I hear "Rakuten". Damn you Elton John! Damn you Rakuten! Damn you to Hell!

Be glad you're not following the Jeopardy! Forum, where clues on the show regarding Lake Superior have instigated a rash of posts about "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."  The song finally leaves our collective mental jukeboxes and then someone brings it up again - like we just had the anniversary of the actual sinking - and the mental jukeboxes all start playing Gordon Lightfoot again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

OMG thank goodness I'm not the only one who pronounced it TU-mer-ic!  I didn't realize it had that extra "R" either.

Same here. Good Lord, do you think we all wandered in from the parallel universe where it was the Berenstein Bears?

• LOL 5
28 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Be glad you're not following the Jeopardy! Forum, where clues on the show regarding Lake Superior have instigated a rash of posts about "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."  The song finally leaves our collective mental jukeboxes and then someone brings it up again - like we just had the anniversary of the actual sinking - and the mental jukeboxes all start playing Gordon Lightfoot again.

As sad as it undeniably is, IMO it's a beautiful song.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thanks a lot, @Prevailing Wind!  I'd just gotten rid of that from the J! forum!  🙂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

I am SO OVER the AT&T commercials - especially this one.  I have such an urge to punch Lily's face with the  'word of mouth advertising (looks at camera) it's what they did before commercials' (condescending head tilt)

I totally concur!  I hate her in this one and the other one where she butts into the convo between Mom Calling Customer who gets Carl on the phone instead and the black AT&T rep.  I hate the Max HBO one as well.  Why does she sit on a sofa with a divider cushion between her and the customer?  Why does Lily look into the camera?  I thought that was verboten on TV and movie filming, like Rule 1:  Don't look at the camera.

14 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Why does Lily look into the camera?  I thought that was verboten on TV and movie filming, like Rule 1:  Don't look at the camera.

It's a performance/writing convention called "breaking the 4th wall". It's not uncommon..

The Fourth Wall.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/9/2020 at 2:57 PM, ctlady said:
On 11/9/2020 at 10:30 AM, peacheslatour said:

Wait... Elmer Fudd has a mansion?

Heh!  Brought back my Bugs Bunny cartoon days.  There was an episode where a doctor hypnotized Bugs Bunny into thinking he was a wealthy Elmer J Fudd but having him repeat, "I am Elmer J Fudd, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht".  Likewise, Elmer was hypnotized to think he was a bunny rabbit (wabbit)

And don't forget Wile E. Coyote: Super Genius, lol.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

MeTV has started airing commercials for old cartoons they will be airing on Saturday mornings starting in January.  I think that is a great move on their part.  Anything is better than the stale lineup they have been running.

Thanks for that heads up! Growing up in the 60s and 70s it was Saturday cartoons in the am, the Monkees at noon, then Godzilla movies (with Raymond Burr!!!) for the rest of the afternoon.

There were some great commercials back then too, especially for the cereals: Count Chocula, Crisp N Quake, hoo boy!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's a performance/writing convention called "breaking the 4th wall". It's not uncommon..

The Fourth Wall.

I know of the practice but there is no reason for Lily to be breaking the 4th wall in this instance, as she's not narrating anything specific to the audience.  It seems like a mistake in this AT&T commercial; I must hate Lily so much I don't want her addressing me personally!  😄

Edited by CrystalBlue
Took out movie reference as an example to not stray too far off topic.
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, ctlady said:

I am SO OVER the AT&T commercials - especially this one.  I have such an urge to punch Lily's face with the  'word of mouth advertising (looks at camera) it's what they did before commercials' (condescending head tilt)

Eh, it doesn't bother me, but the AT&T commercial featuring the "muted celebration" and the HBO Max one bug me, partially because the RiffTRax  channel seems to play them at least once per commercial break.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Why does she sit on a sofa with a divider cushion between her and the customer? 

The chyron says 'this was filmed safely' or something like that. I assume the divider was no different than the X's on the floor at the Walgreen's checkout line. 

Current cause of teeth gnashing: Xfinity mobile ad using 'Go Your Own Way', apparently to emphasize that you don't have to sign a contract, I guess. I don't know why this one bothers me, but the Anoro one (which has been on for ages) doesn't. But again, some millenial ad agency picks  a Boomer song because the title alone fits their theme. The song is an angry, accusing rant by a guy whose long time love has dumped him for someone new, and really has no logical place in the wonderful world of marketing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

The chyron says 'this was filmed safely' or something like that. I assume the divider was no different than the X's on the floor at the Walgreen's checkout line. 

Current cause of teeth gnashing: Xfinity mobile ad using 'Go Your Own Way', apparently to emphasize that you don't have to sign a contract, I guess. I don't know why this one bothers me, but the Anoro one (which has been on for ages) doesn't. But again, some millenial ad agency picks  a Boomer song because the title alone fits their theme. The song is an angry, accusing rant by a guy whose long time love has dumped him for someone new, and really has no logical place in the wonderful world of marketing.

That's one of my pet peeves. They use songs that are super inappropriate or the lyrics have meanings that are completely off the subject they're trying to associate it to. I think the Iggy Pop song Lust For Life  for some cruise company was the epitome of this

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

What you say is totally true but I don't mind the commercial just because I love the song and I get to hear it.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's one of my pet peeves. They use songs that are super inappropriate or the lyrics have meanings that are completely off the subject they're trying to associate it to. I think the Iggy Pop song Lust For Life  for some cruise company was the epitome of this

My jaw dropped when I found out that "Zum Zum Zum" song Mazda used in its car commercials was about slaves using capoeira to kill the slavemasters. I guess after the revolt the first item on their agenda was getting shiny new Japanese cars!

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I missed the chyron.  Since Lily and friends weren't wearing masks, I didn't realize we were in the COVID-conscious reality.  I think Lily should wear a mask all the time.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

To me the epitome of this is "Bohemian Like You" for a car commercial. They kept the "You got a great car" line but omitted the next line, which is "Yeah, what's wrong with it today," I suppose assuming that literally no one who saw the commercial would have known that song.

3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Is that the ad with the awful cover version of that song? I like that song but hate that version.

I also don't know why you're blaming Millennials. When I went to look up the year the Royal Caribbean "Lust for Life" commercial came out (2003) I found this list of commercials people have the same complaint about. The earliest one I found before I got tired of googling (minus one from the '70s where they changed the words) was the Wrangler commercial with "Fortunate Son," from 2000. The oldest Millennials were 19 in 2000. No Millennial decided to use that song. If Millennials are currently making these song selections, it's because older people set the standard of not ensuring that the overall song doesn't conflict with the message.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 7

MeTV has started airing commercials for old cartoons they will be airing on Saturday mornings starting in January. 

That's awesome!  I wonder if they'll also use the original interstitials?  I used to see them in the 70s-80s syndicated reruns but not recently.  

The commercial that annoys me at the moment is the car commercial in which the dejected girl comes out of a boxing gym and tells her mother that [the boxing instructor] told her to try dance lessons instead.  Naturally, mom talks about not compromising (ie. the car) and to go for it if that's what she wants to do.  Cut to the kid hitting the punching bag so softly, dare I say it? - she hits like a girl!

Little girl, maybe the reason the instructor told you to take up something else wasn't because he doesn't think girls can't train to box, but because you suck at it and he just wants to save your mom the money?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think that's because they're trying to appeal to us oldsters who love these songs and they think because of that we're more likely to buy their product

• Love 4
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

The commercial that annoys me at the moment is the car commercial in which the dejected girl comes out of a boxing gym and tells her mother that [the boxing instructor] told her to try dance lessons instead.  Naturally, mom talks about not compromising (ie. the car) and to go for it if that's what she wants to do.  Cut to the kid hitting the punching bag so softly, dare I say it? - she hits like a girl!

Little girl, maybe the reason the instructor told you to take up something else wasn't because he doesn't think girls can't train to box, but because you suck at it and he just wants to save your mom the money?  

ITA. It looks to me like mom is way too invested in pushing her kid into an activity she thinks the kid ought to be doing, regardless of aptitude or interest. And what if, in spite of her hangdog expression and pouting when she gets into the car, the daughter actually would prefer dancing to boxing?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

One thing does enter my head, I do wonder if Mel Blanc when having sex with his wife used cartoon voices.  In fact, I am just laughing with those cartoon voices going through my head. 

His son, Noel Blanc did say in interviews that Mel's "real voice" sounded like Sylvester - without the lisp. 

Too bad Mel Blanc passed on long ago, unfortunately he can't do that voice.

But there have been worthy successors who have been voicing Loony Toons characters.  Most recently they've worked on The Looney Toons Show on CN and a few other projects.

Edited by magicdog
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Or maybe the Stones’ Start Me Up for Windows (I forget which version).  Includes, among other lyrics, “you make a grown man cry”. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Or maybe the Stones’ Start Me Up for Windows (I forget which version).  Includes, among other lyrics, “you make a grown man cry”. 

There's another line that's even more inappropriate for a commercial.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6