Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Holy crap! I hate that ad! I didn't even realize that was John Goodman's face on the finger! What the fuck happened to him? Does he have stomach cancer or something?

No, he's OK. His doctor scared the crap out of him about his weight and he finally got serious about losing the poundage.

• Love 7
On 11/22/2020 at 7:38 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Aside from the ick factor, that ad disturbs me when the adult daughter walks into Mom's bedroom while she's sleeping and throws open the curtains, flooding the old lady's room with light that wakes her. Daughter asks, "How did you sleep?" And Mom responds with a positive answer. Daughter smiles benignly at her, like she's indulging a child.  It is so patronizing and disrespectful, essentially asking if she wet the bed and I'll give you gold star for staying dry all night long.

My family has discussed the "real life" scenario that would likely have unfolded ("Jesus Christ! Did you piss the bed AGAIN, Mom?? That does it, you're staying in a hotel next time!")

• LOL 10

My late mom brought her "pee pad" with her as part of her nightwear - one of those blue pads that are more absorbent that just a rubber sheet. (I can still remember the smell of that rubber sheet when I was little & still couldn't make it through the night. That rubber was stinky in its own right.)

• Love 3

The commercial I think its for Hobby Lobby where two neighbors get hand made ornaments and thinking that the other made it, only for it to turn out to be their married neighbors across the street. Yeah, its kind of sweet but wouldn't one of the first things they do is thank the other for the gift and find out that they didn't? Wouldn't that end things there? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

The commercial I think its for Hobby Lobby where two neighbors get hand made ornaments and thinking that the other made it, only for it to turn out to be their married neighbors across the street. Yeah, its kind of sweet but wouldn't one of the first things they do is thank the other for the gift and find out that they didn't? Wouldn't that end things there? 

One would think.

• Love 7
On 11/27/2020 at 7:46 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Aside from the ick factor, that ad disturbs me when the adult daughter walks into Mom's bedroom while she's sleeping and throws open the curtains, flooding the old lady's room with light that wakes her. Daughter asks, "How did you sleep?" And Mom responds with a positive answer.

ALL of my immediate family knows the doom that will descend on them if they DARED to throw my curtains open and wake me up early. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 7
On 11/27/2020 at 3:18 PM, Bastet said:

I cannot handle Kristin Chenoweth's voice.  And I know she can't help what her voice sounds like, so I feel bad about that, but then I remember that my cousin who likes pretty much everyone went to college with her and couldn't stand her, and I go about my day.

So how many degrees of separation does that make between you and Kristin Chenoweth?  😃  To be honest, I haven't been tortured by this commercial (yet), and I don't know who she is or why I would care.  I looked her up and she looks like Pamela Anderson to me.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The whole point was to get them talking to each other.  No reason why the conversation would end after finding out they'd been tricked.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Dear Stars TV, 

Thank you for having a lot of programming that appeals to me as a woman, but please stop torturing us with that disgusting Tena commercial about "skin down there."
You can tell the advertisers of Tena that if they have a product that stays drier, send me a free sample, but there's nothing wrong with my "skin."

And don't be surprised if so many viewers change the station or turn off the TV during that horrible, ill-informed commercial that your ratings go down.
But don't blame it on the programming.

• Love 9
On 11/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

No, he's OK. His doctor scared the crap out of him about his weight and he finally got serious about losing the poundage.

Good for him! 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Cross posted from the Holiday Commercials thread, but the "updated" Hershey Kisses Christmas ad 

😱

21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Wait, how did they get the gifts without knowing?  Did the neighbors break into their house and leave them under the tree?  🤔

• LOL 1

The commercial I really HATE now, is the NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) commercial.

Look, I know that COVID won't last forever and people will get back to cruising (I know of folks already booking cruises for 2022); but the truth is cruising will be super expensive.  No one will want to go on a cruise without having medical personnel onboard and, I'm sorry but NCL doesn't have any such thing.  The QM2 has a whole hospital onboard (not kidding), but NCL is NOT that kind of ship, sorry.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/9/2020 at 9:35 PM, elle said:

Cheersin?  Cheersin? Dunkin, making up words instead of donuts?

I just saw a Dunkin billboard with Cheersin on it, twice.  What does it even mean?

On 11/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, icemiser69 said:

I liked him as Magnum.  After that, not so much.   He sounds constipated in that commercial.  No, I am not saying he is full of shit. 

Joe Namath, Joe Theismann, Meredith Vieria, Kelsey Grammer, and Dann Florek, have all been in various commercials lately.

My DVR is getting a massive workout in an effort to avoid commercials.

I saw Bill Engvall on a Medicare commercial today, for the first time. I've always liked him, and now I'm annoyed that he's doing these commercials.  On the other hand, if I were of the age that I needed to "call to get the benefits I deserve", he might be the one to get me to call!

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I just saw a Dunkin billboard with Cheersin on it, twice.  What does it even mean?

What is 'Cheersin'?

The special holiday cups say Cheersin’, which the company announced with a unique holiday jingle. The word is a “playful combination of cheers and Dunkin', symbolizing coming together in both celebration and appreciation.”

“With new Cheersin' cups and donut boxes, guests can share some cheer, positivity, and encouragement with each coffee and donut order,” the compay said.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 11/29/2020 at 5:15 AM, Haleth said:

The whole point was to get them talking to each other.  No reason why the conversation would end after finding out they'd been tricked.

All the more reason for them to continue to talk, I'd think. "Now that I have an excuse to talk to you, despite not coming up with one on my own the entire time we've been neighbors, why don't you come inside and help me decorate my tree and we can solve this mystery together." (I also hate the commercial, though.)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Didn't there used to be a coffee commercial or something that was a continuing story of a pair of neighbors who fell in love?

Yes, Taster's Choice.  (I don't remember if they were neighbors, but it was a serialized love story.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Could some please call 911?   The Rainbow Connection is currently being murdered in a commercial.  Eyewitnesses report the suspect is wearing braids and a bandana. 

Edited by Maverick
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yes, indeed. It lasted many months. 

Ah, the good old days, when we actually had quality commercials to shill coffee!

I also remember the Country Crock Couple always holding hands -- that's all we saw; their hands.  They made a series of those commercials IIRC.  Or maybe I just remember seeing the same one over and over so much it seemed like a series.

• Love 9

Rakuten has a new series of commercials airing. Now, let me say I have no idea who they are or what they do. All I know about them is they spent a boatload of money on Super Bowl ads last year featuring people who couldn't pronounce their name. A bold marketing plan, maybe not one I would have chosen.

Their new ads have people breaking out into song, a re-written version of Elton John's "Rocket Man". I love the original song, hate the commercials with the heat of a thousand burning nuns...and I still don't know who they are or what they do.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Yes, they do! My elderly mother drinks it. It isn't good. Not good at all.

They have coffee in tea bag form now and that tastes a lot better than the old instants did.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yes, indeed. It lasted many months. 

Months?! I would have sworn it was years! But I was a kid, so who knows about my perception of time. When I first saw Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it was weird seeing the Taster's Choice guy playing someone else.

12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Ah, the good old days, when we actually had quality commercials to shill coffee!

I also remember the Country Crock Couple always holding hands -- that's all we saw; their hands.  They made a series of those commercials IIRC.  Or maybe I just remember seeing the same one over and over so much it seemed like a series.

It was a series. I think they ended up having a kid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 12:50 AM, ReviewX said:

I have hesitated posting this but I've reached a point where I can no longer take the Qunol Turmeric commercial with the young doctor in the blue scrubs.

He not once, not twice, but at least three times pronounces the word TURMERIC like this: TURMRIC. What the heck is this?? Why is he leaving out a vowel?? What is the reason for that?

It's gotten so whenever I hear that little jingle and look up and see the blue boy I turn the sound down because I can't handle it. Where was the diction department during the filming of this??

I'd rather hear him pronounce it "turmric" than "tumeric".  Because the second one is wrong, and drives me crazy.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 11:28 AM, sempervivum said:

The chyron says 'this was filmed safely' or something like that. I assume the divider was no different than the X's on the floor at the Walgreen's checkout line. 

Current cause of teeth gnashing: Xfinity mobile ad using 'Go Your Own Way', apparently to emphasize that you don't have to sign a contract, I guess. I don't know why this one bothers me, but the Anoro one (which has been on for ages) doesn't. But again, some millenial ad agency picks  a Boomer song because the title alone fits their theme. The song is an angry, accusing rant by a guy whose long time love has dumped him for someone new, and really has no logical place in the wonderful world of marketing.

For me, part of the problem is the terrible singer.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 2:58 AM, icemiser69 said:

For example, I like songs sung by their original singers, I am not too fond of other singers trying to make the original their own.

So Jimi Hendrix's definitive version of All Along The Watchtower is a no-go for you?

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:20 PM, chessiegal said:

They already have.

Not on the channels I watch.  I've seen it just often enough to make it amusing, but not so often that I want to kill both Doug and the emu.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 9:37 AM, dleighg said:

I didn't recognize him but looked him up. He's one of the guys from the new iteration of Queer Eye. Jonathan Van Ness. I think if his hair had been loose I might have had a chance to know who it was. In any case it's a pretty stupid ad.

Is that who that is?  I've never watched either iteration of Queer Eye, so I did not recognize him.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Rakuten has a new series of commercials airing. Now, let me say I have no idea who they are or what they do. All I know about them is they spent a boatload of money on Super Bowl ads last year featuring people who couldn't pronounce their name. A bold marketing plan, maybe not one I would have chosen.

Their new ads have people breaking out into song, a re-written version of Elton John's "Rocket Man". I love the original song, hate the commercials with the heat of a thousand burning nuns...and I still don't know who they are or what they do.

Do the Rakuten asshats even know what the song they're bastardizing is about?  It's about a man who is an astronaut and is lonely out in space, misses his wife, and thinks Mars isn't a good place to raise kids, in fact, it's cold as hell.  Nothing whatsoever to do with shopping, shopping online or shopping online to save money with their browser extension.

I wish the Rakuten commercials would blow out their fuse alone in outer space!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

"I'm not a doctor, but I play one on tv."

That would have at ;east been honest.

So Jimi Hendrix's definitive version of All Along The Watchtower is a no-go for you?

Even Dylan has said he prefers the Hendrix version.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At one point in that coffee opera, the woman's ex-husband visits - and he was played by the actress' real-life husband.

Ah yes, Trevor Eve <le sigh>

54 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Do the Rakuten asshats even know what the song they're bastardizing is about?  It's about a man who is an astronaut and is lonely out in space, misses his wife, and thinks Mars isn't a good place to raise kids, in fact, it's cold as hell.  Nothing whatsoever to do with shopping, shopping online or shopping online to save money with their browser extension.

I wish the Rakuten commercials would blow out their fuse alone in outer space!

At least they made up their own lyrics, I guess?

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

Instant coffee at that!  (Do they even make instant coffee anymore?)

It was a THING! a few months ago.  Somewhere between, maybe, bread-baking and home gardening.  This concoction where you whip up instant coffee, water, sugar?... It was horrible but everyone apparently was required to try it once.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm putting this here, because while those images of the poor pups and kitties absolutely break my heart, my rage knows no bounds at ASPCA for showing these images, with that flat tone with sad music, using the worst kind of emotional blackmail to get people to donate. Hey, I donate! And while I dvr 99% of the shows I watch, which allows me to fast forward through commercials, there is that 1% I watch live, and tear up watching those poor animals. Just STOP IT!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, elle said:

Does anyone know the name of the song playing under the new CNN promo?  It’s driving me crazy, I can almost remember it but it is just on the edge of memory.  

29 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Is it Billy Joel's A Matter of Trust?   

Yes, it is. It's even their name for the spot:

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Is it Billy Joel's A Matter of Trust?   

Yes, it is. It's even their name for the spot:

Thank you, @CrazyInAlabama and @Moose135!!  I looked up a lyrics video so I could fill in all blanks.  I also figured that the other thing that was bugging me was how the song was slowed down for the promo.  Just something off.

• Love 1

I just looked up the legalities of using a melody of someone else’s music and it said that you may use a few chords, but the melody cannot be recognizable as the original, even if you use different lyrics.  I think everyone realizes that the song is Rocketman, so I guess Rakuten must have negotiated the right to use it. I don’t know if Elton John owns the rights to his own music because at one time, a lot of singers were selling their portfolios to record companies for huge sums of money, and he might have done that.  If you watch some TV shows, especially talk shows, if you hear someone humming or singing a song, they’ll stop quickly and say “Can’t sing more or else I’d have to pay royalties”.  So Rakuten must be paying some huge royalties. 

• Useful 4