Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I recently noticed my brother pronounces it "hunnerd."  I don't remember if he's always pronounced it like that, but, golly, it drives me nuts.  My mom, in her later years, no longer "kept track" of things, but "kept tract" of them. That change happened when she moved to North Carolina.

Now we're gonna get the charity ads for people to donate before the end of the year, as well as the obscure perfume ads, and all the other Xmas stuff. In January, I expect all the weight-loss/gym ads for the Resolution people and then more obscure perfume ads for Valentine's day, all the while seeing the Medicare supplemental insurance ads.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Are gyms open anywhere?

Gotta love those New Year's resolutions.  How about a Pelaton for the little lady for Christmas?  I see lots of ads for that creepy mirror already.

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

That mirror thing really is creepy.  Ray Bradbury would be impressed.

I haven't actually listened to the "hunnred" commercial in so long, I don't remember if I could detect three syllables.  And I'm disinclined to listen now to find out!  

• Love 8

On 12/4/2020 at 6:39 AM, Katy M said:

I think Cheeto Snacks encompasses all the different flavors, while Cheetos just refers to the cheese Cheetos.

Thanks!  I had no idea there were different flavours.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:57 AM, peacheslatour said:

Is this good?image.png.539572ab01e856e76a742c2be9320d37.png

Am I the only one who sees a green cap and thinks "decaf".  (I have no problem with decaf, but a lot of people seem to.  Probably the ones with a caffeine addiction.)

Edited by Brookside
Weird cut and paste addition.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 12/4/2020 at 10:13 PM, mmecorday said:

Regarding the discussion of Medicare commercials (make them stop!), the one that's set up like a talk show with the guy interviewing Rhonda is the one that's bugging me right now.

YES!!! The beginning, with a stadium full of cheering fans! Then we get the guy with the center part introducing nice, no-charisma Rhonda, who drones out yet again all the talking points we could recite in our sleep. I'm also fixated on the fact that the camera cuts away to show that poor Rhonda appears to be sitting on a big brown Pilates ball (baby got back).

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yes. Green cap/can/bag = Decaf; Orange trim on the pot = Decaf.  I wonder why they didn't make either one color or the other the industry standard.

Maybe not exactly commercials, but it seems like I've seen an awful lot of shows lately where the coffee is being poured from a pot with orange trim - when someone orders coffee, not a decaf.  Back in the day, I thought orange was the standard decaf pot, but now I'm starting to question everything I thought was true.  And I do have to wonder about the instant with the green cap.  Is that from another country, or just trying to look like it is?  Maybe conventions are different in other countries...?

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe not exactly commercials, but it seems like I've seen an awful lot of shows lately where the coffee is being poured from a pot with orange trim - when someone orders coffee, not a decaf.  Back in the day, I thought orange was the standard decaf pot, but now I'm starting to question everything I thought was true.  And I do have to wonder about the instant with the green cap.  Is that from another country, or just trying to look like it is?  Maybe conventions are different in other countries...?

It's imported. It is different in other countries.

• Useful 1
On 12/4/2020 at 9:39 AM, Katy M said:

I think Cheeto Snacks encompasses all the different flavors, while Cheetos just refers to the cheese Cheetos.

That could be if the brand name was Cheeto. But the brand is Cheetos. Saying "I want some Cheetos Snacks," makes perfect sense and would carry across all flavors including the regular ones. How anyone signed off on this commercial is beyond me. Calling them Cheeto Snacks sounds like an ad for a cheap knockoff of the real brand like it would if you said, "Give me some Skip peanut butter."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

That could be if the brand name was Cheeto. But the brand is Cheetos. Saying "I want some Cheetos Snacks," makes perfect sense and would carry across all flavors including the regular ones. How anyone signed off on this commercial is beyond me. Calling them Cheeto Snacks sounds like an ad for a cheap knockoff of the real brand like it would if you said, "Give me some Skip peanut butter."

I don't pay that close of attention to commercials.  Are we sure that the s on Cheetos, doesn't just kind of collide with the s on snacks.  I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between Cheeto Snacks and Cheetos Snacks unless it was deliberately enunciated with a pause between words.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I don't pay that close of attention to commercials.  Are we sure that the s on Cheetos, doesn't just kind of collide with the s on snacks.  I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between Cheeto Snacks and Cheetos Snacks unless it was deliberately enunciated with a pause between words.

Very possible. In fact, I really think that is probably what is going on there. I don't pay close attention either. I was just responding based on what was posted here. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Very possible. In fact, I really think that is probably what is going on there. I don't pay close attention either. I was just responding based on what was posted here. 

I always wanted to try that mix that had the wasabi Cheeto and the waffle one.

• Love 1

OK, All-State. It's bad enough that you show idiots driving down the road with things loose on top of their cars. But did you REALLY have to use a totally obnoxious song from a singer who was a NAZI COLLABORATOR during  WWII? 

I can't mute this one fast enough. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

OK, All-State. It's bad enough that you show idiots driving down the road with things loose on top of their cars. But did you REALLY have to use a totally obnoxious song from a singer who was a NAZI COLLABORATOR during  WWII? 

I can't mute this one fast enough. 

Not really.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I came here to scream WHEN IS MEDICARE OPEN ENROLLMENT OVER I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE  but I see you guys have taken care of that for me!!

OMG! I swear to god, I'm going to start burning shit down!! Hate isn't a strong enough word.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I came here to scream WHEN IS MEDICARE OPEN ENROLLMENT OVER I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE  but I see you guys have taken care of that for me!!

It really is a miracle that my TV has survived Open Enrollment!! They are playing less today, the "last" day but I fear they will still be around ...

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My husband exercises with the tv on. This week I was sitting in the next room when I heard Joe Namath's Medicare ad come on. He stopped what he was doing and changed the channel 🤣

Obviously, not the most inspirational person one could be watching when doing knee-bends!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 12/6/2020 at 12:33 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Yes. Green cap/can/bag = Decaf; Orange trim on the pot = Decaf.  I wonder why they didn't make either one color or the other the industry standard.

Sanka (the Kleenex of decaf, back in its day) was branded orange.

When no restaurant was brewing decaf, Sanka was served in an orange packet next to a cup of hot water. Perhaps this led food service to keep the decaf carafe orange.

Edited by SG429
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 11/19/2020 at 9:36 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I know quite a few people who have gone the way of doing a reverse mortgage, and it has really worked well for them.  One couple owed 6 figures in medical bills and the reverse mortgage got them out of that debt.  When they moved to their retirement community, they sold their house, paid the reverse mortgage and had money back in their pocket. 

Some of the  companies were urgeing couples to only list the man and not both. That caused some widows to be put on the street. I think theres been some laws passed since.

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, SG429 said:

Sanka (the Kleenex of decaf, back in its day) was branded orange.

When no restaurant was brewing decaf, Sanka was served in an orange packet next to a cup of hot water. Perhaps this led food service to keep the decaf carafe orange.

I remember when it was rare to non-existent for restaurants to brew decaf.

I found this Sanka commercial from 1956! Lucy and Desi! It's funny. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Ashforth said:

I remember when it was rare to non-existent for restaurants to brew decaf.

I found this Sanka commercial from 1956! Lucy and Desi! It's funny. 

Looks as though Mr. Arnaz had drunk about 33 cups of that '97 percent caffeine-free' drink to get that intense! LOL

Nice to see him be the 'zany' one while Lucy was the  calming straight-woman (which hadn't been done since Lucy went into labor with Little Ricky).

P.S. I seriously doubt he drank any java  besides fresh-brewed thick Cuban coffee whenever possible but the then-Arnazes likely were happy to get some pocket change via pitching it! 

• Love 8
On 12/5/2020 at 10:46 AM, bankerchick said:

Kariyake, you could be right but I would be surprised to find that Elton John felt like he needed more exposure.

You hear Rocket Man when you see the Rakuten commercial.  I will forever hear the Rakuten commercial whenever Rocket Man, a beautiful song, comes on the radio.  It is ruined for me now.  

I always associate it with "The Shat" (Bill Shatner).

On 12/6/2020 at 12:33 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Maybe they wanted to get new addicted customers? 😉

• Useful 2
On 11/7/2020 at 4:58 PM, peacheslatour said:

I see they tried to fix the horrible Skyrizzi song. Nope, still horrible and I still can't hit the mute button fast enough.

I saw it twice in one day and that was enough...

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

P.S. I seriously doubt he drank any java  besides fresh-brewed thick Cuban coffee whenever possible but the then-Arnazes likely were happy to get some pocket change via pitching it!

Yep, from what I saw Sanka was sponsoring I Love Lucy when the commercial(s) were made, so win-win for Lucy and Desi/Ricky.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Happy Cows Make Better Milk | Organic Valley - YouTube

Organic Valley  (Thank you CrystalBlue!)

I can't bear this ad because the woman in it sounds like a three-year-old.  It's the one with a woman and a cow in a field. She is apparently in her twenties.

Edited by Brookside
Because CrystalBlue provided the link.
  • Love 1

Driving to work this morning, I heard a radio ad for Charmin that seriously made me want to drive into the nearest tree and just end it all.

Something about having a "shiny hiney" for the holidays, and undies "whiter than the North Pole".

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Driving to work this morning, I heard a radio ad for Charmin that seriously made me want to drive into the nearest tree and just end it all.

Something about having a "shiny hiney" for the holidays, and undies "whiter than the North Pole".

Do they even sell white "undies" anymore?

• Love 1

saw a commercial for another exercise bike like Peloton its call Echelon it has Santa coming in taking his clothes off with the fake gut.  Santa is supposed to be fat and old and not young and ripped, Its disturbing...lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Happy Cows Make Better Milk | Organic Valley - YouTube

I can't bear this ad because the woman in it sounds like a three-year-old.  It's the one with a woman and a cow in a field. She is apparently in her twenties.

(Don't know why I can't copy an actual link.)

Organic Valley

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, janie jones said:

Yes, they sell white undies.

I know this Toyota commercial is supposed to be silly and not make sense, but...How did the guy get in the car, and how is he going to drive it if it's wrapped up?

I hate this commercial and agree it's nonsensical.  Jan trying to keep her footing while holding two big wads of wrapping paper makes it even stupider.  The other Jan Toyotathon Christmas Edition is the one with the guy who sees the elves working on a car behind a door that accidentally levers open.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

This is the longer version of the commercial that your mention of "shiny hiney" reminded me of.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2