Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, cinsays said:

I think that's because they're trying to appeal to us oldsters who love these songs and they think because of that we're more likely to buy their product

And they/we are the ones who know all the lyrics to the song, so wonder what were the advertisers thinking using that song.  (And then come here to complain about them.)

Edited by elle
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, CoderLady said:

ITA. It looks to me like mom is way too invested in pushing her kid into an activity she thinks the kid ought to be doing, regardless of aptitude or interest. And what if, in spite of her hangdog expression and pouting when she gets into the car, the daughter actually would prefer dancing to boxing?

And, if they WERE trying to make the boxing instructor to be the heavy who tried to squash the girl's dreams, why couldn't the casting folks have hired a girl who could actually BOX instead of one who seemed to be doing . ..girly air fists so as not  to dirty her hands on the punching bag? 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Or maybe the Stones’ Start Me Up for Windows (I forget which version).  Includes, among other lyrics, “you make a grown man cry”. 

I recall people saying that line was VERY appropriate for the version of Windows in question. Instead of that four-panel Microsoft logo they could have flashed an image of the blue screen of death for that line.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

He was in that American Express commercial.

They may be talented, but for me it just isn't the same.  I have always been nostalgic in that way.  For example, I like songs sung by their original singers, I am not too fond of other singers trying to make the original their own.

Songs that were once cool are no longer cool once they are used in a commercial to sell a product, they just aren't.   From that point forward I don't like the song or the product that is being promoted by that song, and obviously I hate those commercials.

Maybe the songwriter needs the money, I don't know, but I still consider it selling out, regardless.

Would you say Sinead O'Connor covering Prince is an exception?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I haven't heard the song you are referencing.  That said.  No, if I started making exceptions I would be a hypocrite. 

I know I have bitched about it before, but I am seeing nothing but Medicare commercials and I am so annoyed by the frequency of them.  I am so annoyed that I want the bodily function commercials to come back, and I hate those, but at least it would be something different.

No, no you don't want the bodily function commercials to come back.  Medicare season is a dream compared to piss, poo, blood flow issues, menstrual flow issues, and all the rest.  Someday you'll need to pay attention to those Medicare commercials.  Think of them as a PSA.  😀  Besides, it beats diaper ads, doesn't it?

P.S.  Open enrollment ends on Dec 7th.

P.P.S.  "Nothing Compares 2U"

Edited by CrystalBlue
P.S. and P.P.S.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 11/7/2020 at 1:11 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I do like the one where it sits on the volleyball to hatch it.

Oh, Lordy,how did I miss that one.   Lol.   I am sure it will show up and they will play it to death, as usual

• Love 2

I live in lower Alabama, and because of the broadcast areas with the TV stations, I get the neighboring state commercials too.    I get the car dealer commercials from three states, and I'm not getting anything that I can't go to a dealer for recall work, or get parts easily, so they can stop advertising on my TV anytime.     

• Love 6

Slippery slope, y'all.

Last week I saw a commercial for a company that will clone your dog. The woman drones on about how their beloved dog is getting old and so her wonderful husband had him cloned. The tag line is something like "Love Never Dies". 

It's horrifying in its implications for the future.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Slippery slope, y'all.

Last week I saw a commercial for a company that will clone your dog. The woman drones on about how their beloved dog is getting old and so so her wonderful husband had him cloned. The tag line is something like "Love Never Dies". 

Wonder if she's ever read 'Pet Sematary'?

• LOL 13
14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Kay Jewelry just ruined Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time".

They sure as hell did.

Last week I saw a commercial for a company that will clone your dog. The woman drones on about how their beloved dog is getting old and so her wonderful husband had him cloned. The tag line is something like "Love Never Dies". 

They learned with Dolly the sheep that you have to clone the animal when it's really young. Cloning an old dog will not end well.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Slippery slope, y'all.

It's horrifying in its implications for the future.

I am so against cloning that I hope that dog cloning commercial dies a fiery death prematurely before the contract runs out and they have to pull it from the airwaves because of complaints.  Call me Outright Enraged!  🤬

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I am so against cloning that I hope...

Just out of curiosity I looked it up. To "collect and maintain a sample" costs IIRC around 2k. To actually create the new animal, 50k (dog), 35k (cat). 

• Useful 4

Warning if you haven't seen them yet, but two stupid holiday-themed car commercials are back: the Buick ads where people surprise themselves with a new car (complete with a bow on it) and the (Ford?) ad where the guy gets his wife a red SUV for Christmas and she picks the black truck instead.

(This is reminding me that I haven't seen the "Real People, Not Actors" Chevy commercials lately thanks to the pandemic, which maybe I should be thankful for.)

• Love 9

I don’t know what the commercial is for, but it says, “Age before beauty? Why not both?” Which is dumb because it already is both; the question wasn’t about one or another, but about the order of importance. It’s as bad as “Do you wish your clothes would come out of the laundry wrinkle-free? Well, you can.”

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don’t know what the commercial is for, but it says, “Age before beauty? Why not both?” Which is dumb because it already is both; the question wasn’t about one or another, but about the order of importance. It’s as bad as “Do you wish your clothes would come out of the laundry wrinkle-free? Well, you can.”

"Age before beauty" perpetuates the myth that women cease to be beautiful because they aren't young. Fuck that! 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I would rather "go with the flow".

You mean you would rather "go with Flo"?

4 hours ago, dleighg said:

Just out of curiosity I looked it up. To "collect and maintain a sample" costs IIRC around 2k. To actually create the new animal, 50k (dog), 35k (cat). 

So celebrities who an afford it are their target audience?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Warning if you haven't seen them yet, but two stupid holiday-themed car commercials are back: the Buick ads where people surprise themselves with a new car (complete with a bow on it) and the (Ford?) ad where the guy gets his wife a red SUV for Christmas and she picks the black truck instead.

(This is reminding me that I haven't seen the "Real People, Not Actors" Chevy commercials lately thanks to the pandemic, which maybe I should be thankful for.)

Jan from Toyota is back as well.  I don't know if they're retreads but one is with the car wrapping nonsense and the other with Santa's elves behind a closed door she "accidentally" opens by leaning on post sign, which I wish they'd stick up her butt.

41 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Is that the one with Elon Musk's mother?

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Is that the one with Elon Musk's mother?

Nah, that's the one in which she says something like, "I hear that at a certain age, women stop caring. I wonder what age that is?" Then she strides around on extremely high heels while wearing a face full of makeup. If that's the way she wants to live in her eighties, okay. But it's RIDICULOUS. 

• Love 5
On 11/12/2020 at 8:51 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Kinda like Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" for some product?  That commercial is played ALL THE TIME and Brianna? The girl on the horse in the middle of a downtown area, fliming herself with her phone, makes me stabby.  Be safe, girl!  

DId Lindsey Buckingham need the money that bad?  Or does he not own the song anymore?

Especially the one with the bicyclists.  That has to be the WORST cover of that song ever. And the behavior of the cyclists made me conclude  "So, my takeaway from this ad is Apple users are azzholes." 

"Thanks for coming to our focus group.  Get out."😄

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Especially the one with the bicyclists.  That has to be the WORST cover of that song ever. And the behavior of the cyclists made me conclude  "So, my takeaway from this ad is Apple users are azzholes." 

"Thanks for coming to our focus group.  Get out."😄

I think the ad is for Xfinity touting their service offering the new iP:hone. I had Comcast (now Xfinity) and couldn't wait to get rid of them. Their customer service sucks.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think the ad is for Xfinity touting their service offering the new iP:hone. I had Comcast (now Xfinity) and couldn't wait to get rid of them. Their customer service sucks.

Guess it’s a pretty ineffective ad if I can't even remember what the product is.  All it does is make me stabby. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Kay Jewelry just ruined Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time".

Lauper herself kind of ruined it for me back in 1995.  The set up was a viewer mail segment on Letterman. A writer said that Dave "often mentions that he's lactose intolerant.  Does he know of any other celebrities with that problem?" ...and out came Cyndi

• LOL 4
19 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

But she means "why not both at the same time" rather than embodying only one at any given time. Like, when someone says "age before beauty" to decide who will get first pick of something, why not be a member of both categories?

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, janie jones said:

But she means "why not both at the same time" rather than embodying only one at any given time. Like, when someone says "age before beauty" to decide who will get first pick of something, why not be a member of both categories?

Or in the words of Dorothy Parker when some whippersnapper said that to her "Pearls before swine."

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

It may be for the Canadian Nordstrom's, but I'm not sure if the chick singing 'How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)' is like the Dove women - we're all natural non-professional women and love ourselves as we are! - or if she's actually a professional singer and I'm the only person who thinks her voice is horrible.  It's gonna be a long haul until Christmas if I have to keep hearing that nails on a chalkboard squawking.

I know it's a couple pages back, but I can't agree enough with the comments about Amy Schumer and her tampon commercial.  I think what I hate the most about it, aside from us pretending that she would be a really friendly stranger just helping out a poor girl in the bathroom, is the fact that during the movie Trainwreck, she goes into this giant rant about taking out a tampon at a guy's house.  Not just any tampon, but ... and then she goes on a tear that is every bit as gross as you would expect from her, but it goes on and on and on.  To the point where I took back the benefit of the doubt I had given her and turned the channel.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Can’t stand either of the new Lays potato chip commercials.  I know one is Tracy Ellis Ross who stuffs her face while trying to sing and the other is another actress (sorry, I can’t remember her name) but it’s obvious she’s lip syncing. 

Give me a break with the Amy S tampon commercial.  That one, and the one for Tena where the woman is talking about taking care of “that skin”, while looking down at her crotch.  Yuck. 

• Love 13

Great, the "oil or cream" twit is back.   I guess they weren't able to film a new commercial to peddle whipped cream for Thanksgiving (because who would ever think of such a thing on their own) so they hauled this gem out of mothballs. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Simone Biles and some guy.

I didn't recognize him but looked him up. He's one of the guys from the new iteration of Queer Eye. Jonathan Van Ness. I think if his hair had been loose I might have had a chance to know who it was. In any case it's a pretty stupid ad.

Yes, Fingerhut has been on my TV a few times in the past few days.   I thought they were long gone, but apparently you can still spend a whole lot with them, and with their interest rates, you can be in debt for life.   Sadly, I bet the debt lasts longer than whatever you bought from them. 

I hate that Oil or Cream commercial.   It makes me want to go buy Cool Whip, and never buy Ready Whip (spelling?) again. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, Fingerhut has been on my TV a few times in the past few days.   I thought they were long gone, but apparently you can still spend a whole lot with them, and with their interest rates, you can be in debt for life.   Sadly, I bet the debt lasts longer than whatever you bought from them. 

Wow, haven't heard that brand name for ages. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, probably 25 years ago, I was on a tech project with that company (data analysis type stuff). It didn't really go anywhere, but at some point I mentioned that I wasn't really familiar with the company or their customers. The company rep we were working with said something like "no you wouldn't be, you're not really the demographic of our customers," meaning, quite clearly, that I earned more than they typically would. Very sad.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I watch TV on my ipad while using my exercise machine. When a show goes to a break, I get 5 or 6 commercials. And each break at least two of them are for some car, where the guy gets a text, then drives to his friend's house. Guy answers the door. The driver says "Not much. How 'bout you?"   "Are you answering my text in person?" I could recite the thing word for word. I must see it 6 or 8 times in 45 minutes.

Edited by dleighg
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4