Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, lh25 said:

The one that's getting on my nerves lately is the Tom Selleck one about reverse mortgages.  He says a line something like "It's not some scheme to steal American seniors homes or money".  Ok, fine. But he says it with this half-laughing tone like "How silly anyone would think that" that just gets to me for some reason.

I can't stand those commercials. Especially when he acts offended and says this isn't my first rodeo. It's not made clear that the homeowner is responsible for paying back the loan before they die.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, lh25 said:

The one that's getting on my nerves lately is the Tom Selleck one about reverse mortgages.  He says a line something like "It's not some scheme to steal American seniors homes or money".  Ok, fine. But he says it with this half-laughing tone like "How silly anyone would think that" that just gets to me for some reason.

I keep wondering, when did Tom Selleck become a business guru from whom I should be taking advice about my finances?  Does the moustache give him that wisdom?  

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I can't stand those commercials. Especially when he acts offended and says this isn't my first rodeo. It's not made clear that the homeowner is responsible for paying back the loan before they die.

No, they don't. There are different ways the loan can get paid back. You have to live in the house, so if you go into assisted living, you sell the house to pay them back. If you move, same thing. If you die, either your heirs sell the house to pay it off or the lender just takes it over & sells it, which would be the scenario in my case. My nephew doesn't want the condo and it would save him a big hassle of trying to sell if the lender just takes the condo off his hands.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I am in the middle of a huge hassle trying to sell my late brother's house that was mortgaged to the hilt.  (Regular mortgages, not reverse.)  The house was trashed.  I can't tell you how sorry I am that I got involved because I wanted to do the right thing.  I should have let the bank foreclose.

15 hours ago, lh25 said:

This one is back in heavy rotation, I guess it's the time of year to target senior citizens (is this related to people having to pay for supplemental Medicare insurance?). Selleck's heavy breathing at the beginning makes him sound ill.

Your observation that he's kind of laughing is interesting, because I find him to be very angry and defensive with a "how dare you question me?" tone. Combined with what you said, there is an element of "look people, you're too stupid to understand this, just do it." It's a... different approach to sales.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 11
20 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

The thing about that Tom Selleck commercial is that he starts out with "Look.." I hate that. Don't start a sentence to me with that. I'll mute you or walk away. Either one. 

Sounds like his dentures are trying to escape from his mouth.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If you die, either your heirs sell the house to pay it off or the lender just takes it over & sells it, which would be the scenario in my case. My nephew doesn't want the condo and it would save him a big hassle of trying to sell if the lender just takes the condo off his hands.

This is where I am with the reverse mortgage on my parents' home. Mom frets that the interest is going to eat up the excess value of the house and leave me with no payout after sale, but I'd much rather get the extra years with her and no money (or responsibility to fix up and sell the house).

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
22 minutes ago, Maverick said:

A little?   I'm assuming some ad exec was in a drug-fueled haze when they dreamed this shit up.   And some even more drugged out client approved it.

They obviously shared some with John Goodman to get him to sign on. 

• Love 8

In the State Farm commercial where Jake is at some spa or something, the spa lady is speaking to him in a quiet, breathy, "soothing" voice. I hate hearing people talking like that. It seriously grates. It's the opposite of soothing to me. (It's also why I can't stand those ASMR videos.)

• Love 3

I love the Edith Piaf song, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien. Different strokes, for different folks. 

I've been watching almost exclusively, Pluto. Pluto is owned by Viacom which also owns CBS, so they advertise CBS All Access all the time. Apparently Star Trek is big on All Access. They are really pushing some animated Star Trek, Lower Deck. I don't care much for animated shows, but this one has me wanting to punch one of the characters in the mouth. I know nothing about the show, but I hate it, based on the ad. And I'm kind of getting tired of 3 times in one commercial, Jean Luc Picard intoning, "Life, as it has beeeen is over." And, I like Patrick Stewart.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

They obviously shared some with John Goodman to get him to sign on. 

Yeah, how desperate can he be?  He stars on The Conners FFS.

Does having a head on the tip of a finger remind me of a penis make me a weird and twisted person?  Guess what that makes John Goodman in my weird and twisted mind?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

We've got another family of bears. Because Scana's gas prices are so cheap, they don't have to hibernate all winter, so they're awake doing stuff.  I really think they are not nearly as annoying as the Charmin bears.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dNfg/scana-energy-bear-ly-adapting

I like the sock stuck to the bear's back. Since they're not wearing clothes, though, I can't tell if that's Mr. or Mrs. Bear. Probably Mr., as he seems to be a bit of a doofus - look how she slyly puts the lid on the blender before he turns it on.

• LOL 3

Why does Amy Schumer carry so many boxes of tampons with her?

17 hours ago, janie jones said:

In the State Farm commercial where Jake is at some spa or something, the spa lady is speaking to him in a quiet, breathy, "soothing" voice. I hate hearing people talking like that. It seriously grates. It's the opposite of soothing to me. (It's also why I can't stand those ASMR videos.)

Ugh, that commercial for ... I guess it's a bank? ... with the woman whispering drives me up my last nerve.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Why does Amy Schumer carry so many boxes of tampons with her?

She doesn't (at least in the commercial I saw); it's the other woman in the bathroom who does - Amy is the one who doesn't know there are different sizes.

I understand many women who would benefit from different sizes on different days just use regular all the time because of the name, out of habit, and because this isn't discussed the way it should be, so I appreciate the sentiment of the commercial and am not bothered by it, but "There's more than one size?" probably wasn't the best call.  Anyone who has bought tampons knows there is more than one size.  If she'd instead have said it doesn't matter, that would have been a better lead-in.

• Love 5

Those friggin Hormel chili commercials with that amplified vomit of music (chili. Chili , Chili Chili) and the asshats jumping and twisting around over chili that has God knows what ingredients.  

That commercial needs to be sent to the same slaughterhouse the flora and fauna the chili is made of goes through

The interesting thing about the Tom Selleck reverse mortgage ad is that it is an acknowledgement that the company's public image is trash.

You don't see that very often.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

It turned out in the water case that Selleck had a legitimate contract for that water, there was no theft involved.   However, as usual the 'theft' charges were page one, and the real story was barely mentioned. 

What I dislike about reverse mortgage is that some people (from first hand knowledge) keep promising everything to their heirs, and then when the person goes to assisted living, or dies, the reverse mortgage comes to light.     Then the people who counted on inheriting a paid off house find out that they will have to either pay the mortgage off, get another mortgage, or sell and the mortgage company gets almost everything.    

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It turned out in the water case that Selleck had a legitimate contract for that water, there was no theft involved.   However, as usual the 'theft' charges were page one, and the real story was barely mentioned. 

What I dislike about reverse mortgage is that some people (from first hand knowledge) keep promising everything to their heirs, and then when the person goes to assisted living, or dies, the reverse mortgage comes to light.     Then the people who counted on inheriting a paid off house find out that they will have to either pay the mortgage off, get another mortgage, or sell and the mortgage company gets almost everything.    

But that is the fault of the person not the reverse mortgage lender. 

• Love 10

Yes, it is the fault of the person that took out the mortgage.   However, I think some people just don't understand the implications, and don't really want to know, they just think of it as free money.   The commercials I really hate are the final expenses, and no medical qualifying policies.    I know too many people that spent ever penny they could on these, and claimed to the relatives that they would all be well off with the policy holder dies.   The should read the pay off conditions, the medical questionaire the policy applicant has to fill out, and figure out what vesting period means, and they don't.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
On 10/4/2020 at 9:35 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

If I never hear that nasally French Édith Piaf song again, it will be too soon.  They throw that shit in movies, tv shows and commercials every few years and I hate it with the white hot fire of 1000 suns.  Plus, I don't speak French so I have no idea why it's recycled so much.  Allstate is the latest offender and that shit comes on multiple times during NFL games.  I can't turn the channel quick enough.

I don't like it either.  It's the odd timbre of her voice.  Nails on a chalkboard.

Whoever cleared this ad needs to have it played on repeat 24/7 until they beg for mercy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Alex Trebek and the Colonial Penn commercials drive me nuts. It's terrible whole life insurance, very low coverage per "unit" and high cost, not to mention limited benefits early on.

It reduces my "respect" of him that he would sell this crap to older people who don't understand it. They trust him, and in this case, they shouldn't.

I'm not a fan of reverse mortgages, but I also don't believe we "owe" our heirs anything. If we were wealthy, I'd love to be able to do something for our grandkids. But our mortgage free house is part of our retirement planning. It's not something we want to save so we can leave it to someone. And my elderly mom sold her mortgage free house last year, and is living on the money. I don't expect to be left anything.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Sorry, I should have checked the outcome of the story.  My apologies!!!

• Love 5
On 9/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, Darlabutterfly said:

ON 9/28/2020 AT 12:44 PM, ILOVECOMPUTERS SAID:

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

And why didn't the guy in the Egg Pod commercial shave? He looks like a dirty 1980's Don Johnson wanna be.

I make 6 hard boiled eggs every week. Put in pan, cover well with cold water, bring to rolling boil, put lid on and turn off heat. Let stand 24-26 minutes, less for small eggs.

Pour out hot water, cover with lots of ice and water to quickly chill them.  Let stand in the cold water for an hour, dry and put in fridge. They peel just fine, unless they are super fresh. Let eggs be a week or two old before you boil them. You can shake them around in the pan once they are cold to crack the shells if you want them all peeled at one time.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Sorry, I should have checked the outcome of the story.  My apologies!!!

Not a problem.    The original story was huge news, the outcome was barely mentioned.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Is that...an ostrich....using the head?

Flamingo, I think.  You scoop the poop out of the toilet.....and feed it back to it.  🤢🤮

Edited by funky-rat

This stupid Progressive commercial with the "turning into your parents when you buy a home" just make me want to tear my hair out. They just make zero sense to me. Thankfully, no one that I know who bought a house turned into a dumbass. It seems like every other commercial is this Dr. Phil type guy who wrote a book and then he talks to these moron homeowners because all of a sudden they don't know how to use their cell phones or whatever. The guy reading a book about submarines is side eyed because that's something his father would do? And what exactly is wrong with that? 

If they made the premise of these commercials people who bought houses and then turned down invitations to events from friends because they have to change the washers in all the sinks, mow the lawn, stain the deck or some other thing, I could see it but the whole, once you buy a house you turn into a dumb ass is something I just am not getting. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

This stupid Progressive commercial with the "turning into your parents when you buy a home" just make me want to tear my hair out. They just make zero sense to me. Thankfully, no one that I know who bought a house turned into a dumbass. It seems like every other commercial is this Dr. Phil type guy who wrote a book and then he talks to these moron homeowners because all of a sudden they don't know how to use their cell phones or whatever. The guy reading a book about submarines is side eyed because that's something his father would do? And what exactly is wrong with that? 

If they made the premise of these commercials people who bought houses and then turned down invitations to events from friends because they have to change the washers in all the sinks, mow the lawn, stain the deck or some other thing, I could see it but the whole, once you buy a house you turn into a dumb ass is something I just am not getting. 

It amuses me that there are posters on the Favorite Commercials thread that think this ad is funny. But that happens with many ads discussed. Different strokes...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

59 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Flamingo, I think. 

Yes, flamingo.  The first and nearly last words of the commercial are "It's Gotta Go Flamingo" (plus it's written as the title on that YouTube video).

Honey Combs. Kid says something I don't remember, dad asserts that he was cool in his youth, cut to a shot of dad as a kid with 80s hair. 

That's it. 

That's the whole thing. 

It's not funny. 

But they play it almost every god damned commercial break while I'm trying to watch my wee hours NYPD Blue re-runs. Sometimes more than once

Urge to kill... rising... 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I still have "Door Bell PTSD" from having dogs & cats.  I hate, hate, hate commercials with door bells.

So do I. The dog would always run upstairs thinking someone was at the door and wouldn't be convinced until you went to the door and opened it to prove there was no one there.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I'm not a fan of reverse mortgages, but I also don't believe we "owe" our heirs anything. If we were wealthy, I'd love to be able to do something for our grandkids. But our mortgage free house is part of our retirement planning. It's not something we want to save so we can leave it to someone. And my elderly mom sold her mortgage free house last year, and is living on the money. I don't expect to be left anything.

Taking to small talk...

14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It amuses me that there are posters on the Favorite Commercials thread that think this ad is funny. But that happens with many ads discussed. Different strokes...

There are many of us who find those commercials quite funny, especially the one with the therapy group.  "Next thing you know, I'm telling strangers that defense wins championships.  "Well it does."  I love that.  (And yes, defense DOES win championships.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16
22 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Flamingo.

ETA:  I replied before I saw the subsequent posts, so sorry for the redundancy.  The commercial is awful and the idea is awful.  They've expanded on the Betsey Wetsey doll idea.

Where are the Charmin bears to wipe the flamingo's bird butt?

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • LOL 6

And then there's the doll that pees glitter and poops charms.  I only caught a glimpse of the commercial, and was too traumatized to skip back and watch it fully.  Or to search for the ad (or the doll!) online.

• LOL 3

There's a local commercial that plays constantly.   A local radio station that has a wolf logo is advertising their call in contest.  Every time they play a wolf call, a certain number of caller wins some money, and some days it's a lot of chances.  However, the sound isn't like a wolf at all, it sounds more like the door alarms that stores have, so when they play the commercial I jump every time.    

I am already sick of the various perfume commercials, I guess they'll be playing until Valentine's day?   I really hope they stop at Christmas, but who knows.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 3

I used to love wearing perfume, I liked the scent I could smell. After years of the "scent allergy, etc..." I don't wear any perfume any more. The only scent I use is Rose water which fades faster than I can get out of the house...

• Love 2