Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I really really really hate the hearing aid commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are visiting her parents. First, we learn they give Mrs. Whozit (she actually has a last name) flowers. She loves them and goes to put them in water. Then, daughter at that moment, must find out if boyfriend has remembered the condoms. She mouths Did you remember the condoms?Condom talk in the kitchen in the middle of the day. Mom is there. You can see her puttering around. Boyfriend is unable to understand daughter's quiet desperation to know if they have condoms! Condors, he asks? Condors? No, what...no, condoms, she whispers. Boyfriend still doesn't understand. He's still thinking of the majestic Californian scavenger, I suppose. Wait...Dad, sitting in the living room on the Barcalounger, ends daughter's despair and tells boyfriend, Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought CONDOMS. Daughter dies of embarrassment, made worse by hapless boyfriend saying, Yes, I did! Hilarity ensues. (No, it doesn't) Daughter doesn't know Dad, who we didn't know used a hearing aid, upgraded his hearing aid so he can hear whispered speech from far away. There are so many things wrong with this commercial I have no words. Why do they waste time giving flowers to mom? Why doesn't daughter just go over to Charlie and whisper in his ear? Dad isn't sitting that far away from horny daughter either. So it's hard to demonstrate how good this particular hearing aid is because daughter was whispering rather loudly, I thought. CONDOMS, Charlie!!! AARRRGGGHHH

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

I really really really hate the hearing aid commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are visiting her parents. First, we learn they give Mrs. Whozit (she actually has a last name) flowers. She loves them and goes to put them in water. Then, daughter at that moment, must find out if boyfriend has remembered the condoms. She mouths Did you remember the condoms?Condom talk in the kitchen in the middle of the day. Mom is there. You can see her puttering around. Boyfriend is unable to understand daughter's quiet desperation to know if they have condoms! Condors, he asks? Condors? No, what...no, condoms, she whispers. Boyfriend still doesn't understand. He's still thinking of the majestic Californian scavenger, I suppose. Wait...Dad, sitting in the living room on the Barcalounger, ends daughter's despair and tells boyfriend, Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought CONDOMS. Daughter dies of embarrassment, made worse by hapless boyfriend saying, Yes, I did! Hilarity ensues. (No, it doesn't) Daughter doesn't know Dad, who we didn't know used a hearing aid, upgraded his hearing aid so he can hear whispered speech from far away. There are so many things wrong with this commercial I have no words. Why do they waste time giving flowers to mom? Why doesn't daughter just go over to Charlie and whisper in his ear? Dad isn't sitting that far away from horny daughter either. So it's hard to demonstrate how good this particular hearing aid is because daughter was whispering rather loudly, I thought. CONDOMS, Charlie!!! AARRRGGGHHH

"CONDOMS, ROSE! CONDOMS, CONDOMS, CONDOMS!"

"Calm down, lady. Did you just get out of prison?"

• LOL 15
42 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

I haven't seen this commercial, but why would she even need to know that right that second?  Are they staying with her parents?  Maybe take the night off from condom-related activities.  Especially with dad's new super hearing aid.  OK, he probably takes it off to sleep, but still.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I haven't seen this commercial, but why would she even need to know that right that second?  Are they staying with her parents?  Maybe take the night off from condom-related activities.  Especially with dad's new super hearing aid.  OK, he probably takes it off to sleep, but still.

First, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. I see it all the time. Maybe it's the retro channels I watch, because it's clearly aimed at us old folks. They say if you have Medicare, it's probably no cost to you. Second, yes, they are spending the weekend with her parents. "Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought your condoms" says dad as he's reading in the next room. The ad ends with the couple heading into the bedroom at night time, Dad is still reading in the same chair. As they enter the bedroom, he pulls the hearing aid out. I think it's funny. But I would never in a million years have sex in my parents hone while visiting. It is the only ad for this product, Eargo, that they have. Either they only had the budget for one ad, or they figured they had a winner, so why make different ones.

Eargo hearing aids

• LOL 3
21 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt.

I think it would have been more passive aggressive if she had not returned a compliment.  The standard reply to "you look nice" is generally "thanks, you do too."

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Maybe she should have called them “fruit bowls.”

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 14
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

First, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. I see it all the time. Maybe it's the retro channels I watch, because it's clearly aimed at us old folks. They say if you have Medicare, it's probably no cost to you. Second, yes, they are spending the weekend with her parents. "Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought your condoms" says dad as he's reading in the next room. The ad ends with the couple heading into the bedroom at night time, Dad is still reading in the same chair. As they enter the bedroom, he pulls the hearing aid out. I think it's funny. But I would never in a million years have sex in my parents hone while visiting. It is the only ad for this product, Eargo, that they have. Either they only had the budget for one ad, or they figured they had a winner, so why make different ones.

Eargo hearing aids

I have never seen the extended version with the nighttime activity. My commercial just ends with Charlie saying yes, he brought the condoms and daughter furiously grimacing at him. I have seen this literally 50 times and I hate it more every time.

• Love 6
On 9/30/2020 at 7:36 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"CONDOMS, ROSE! CONDOMS, CONDOMS, CONDOMS!"

"Calm down, lady. Did you just get out of prison?"

I love you. Anyone who quotes GG is my favorite person. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, Brattinella said:

There is a commercial that is breaking the law: Inogen, the product that makes oxygen.  Their commercial's is at least 25% louder dBa than is allowed by law.  Our TV volume is never changed, except for this horrid jarring ad!  I know it sounds petty, but it is annoying.  I don't know who to report it to.

Probably been answered already, but here is the link to the FCC page detailing the CALM Act and how to report too-loud commercials:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials

I also like to call them out on Twitter at @FCC.

• Useful 2
19 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Eh, I wouldn’t have been that nice. I would have flat out asked him what was up with the shirt. 

Yeah, I do scratch my head over him seeming to not notice the state of that "comfortable looking" tshirt.

16 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I really really really hate the hearing aid commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are visiting her parents. First, we learn they give Mrs. Whozit (she actually has a last name) flowers. She loves them and goes to put them in water. Then, daughter at that moment, must find out if boyfriend has remembered the condoms. She mouths Did you remember the condoms?Condom talk in the kitchen in the middle of the day. Mom is there. You can see her puttering around. Boyfriend is unable to understand daughter's quiet desperation to know if they have condoms! Condors, he asks? Condors? No, what...no, condoms, she whispers. Boyfriend still doesn't understand. He's still thinking of the majestic Californian scavenger, I suppose. Wait...Dad, sitting in the living room on the Barcalounger, ends daughter's despair and tells boyfriend, Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought CONDOMS. Daughter dies of embarrassment, made worse by hapless boyfriend saying, Yes, I did! Hilarity ensues. (No, it doesn't) Daughter doesn't know Dad, who we didn't know used a hearing aid, upgraded his hearing aid so he can hear whispered speech from far away. 

Heh. Remember when these commercials used to promote using those super hearing aids as a way to eavesdrop on people?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Heh. Remember when these commercials used to promote using those super hearing aids as a way to eavesdrop on people?

I do! Users could hear what their neighbors were saying from across the street. 

• LOL 4

19 HOURS AGO, KATY M SAID:

Eargo hearing aids

Now they have 2 newer ads on the old folks channel: one where there are 2 contestants on what looks like a 1970's game show where they have to guess the price of the hearing aids to win a set and one where they show 3 old devices including a gramophone-type device. The announcer says that these were once the future and now Eargo is the future, which is stupid because Eargo is in the present.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Darlabutterfly said:

one where they show 3 old devices including a gramophone-type device.

man I'm not yet hearing-aid age, but gramophone? Even my 90 year old father was not a gramophone person AFAIK

On 9/30/2020 at 7:44 PM, Neurochick said:

He started the conversation by commenting on how she looked.  Then she spoke.  She didn't say, "you look like shit."  She said, "And you look....comfortable."  If she said nothing that could have been perceived as rude, she said to say something.

But this commercial is about using a product that won't have his tee look like this, so how else to show it?

• Love 4

The problem is them using a date to depict this defective shirt. The way to prevent this would’ve been for the guy to have some self awareness while getting ready for a date and not putting on a shirt that made him look like a shitbag. A better circumstance would’ve been maybe a family barbecue, where it would’ve made more sense for him to have not paid attention to his attire. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

The problem is them using a date to depict this defective shirt. The way to prevent this would’ve been for the guy to have some self awareness while getting ready for a date and not putting on a shirt that made him look like a shitbag. A better circumstance would’ve been maybe a family barbecue, where it would’ve made more sense for him to have not paid attention to his attire. 

I agree. I don't think anybody would get ready for a first date with someone they're excited about getting to know would walk out of the house looking like that.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

I don't think the ad would have the impact (as seen by the amount of commentary here,) if he had shown up at a family or friend's gathering looking like that. The impact is how embarrassing it is to show up at an event where first impressions matter looking unkempt. I think the ad is spot on.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I agree. I don't think anybody would get ready for a first date with someone they're excited about getting to know would walk out of the house looking like that.

You'd be surprised.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

You'd be surprised.  

Yeah, I guess I've been married too long. I remember to this day what my DH wore on out first date. A safety orange down jacket, a yellow Mickey Mouse t shirt and brown jeans. Oh, and platform shoes. I thought "I really like this guy but I can see right now I'm going to have to dress him if I'm going to be dating him." I was used to going out with older men who wore Cardin suites and Ralph Loren polos. It turned out great. Although he has a pair of Levi's that probably came from the Clinton administration. Anyway I feel sorry for the kid in that commercial, he's obviously mortified.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I guess I've been married too long. I remember to this day what my DH wore on out first date. A safety orange down jacket, a yellow Mickey Mouse t shirt and brown jeans. Oh, and platform shoes. I thought "I really like this guy but I can see right now I'm going to have to dress him if I'm going to be dating him." I was used to going out with older men who wore Cardin suites and Ralph Loren polos. It turned out great. Although he has a pair of Levi's that probably came from the Clinton administration. Anyway I feel sorry for the kid in that commercial, he's obviously mortified.

LOL.  However IMO a woman shouldn't have to "build a bear," if she wants a relationship.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

LOL.  However IMO a woman shouldn't have to "build a bear," if she wants a relationship.  

We were both very young and his mom was still buying his clothes. She managed the local Sears store so you can imagine her sense of style.

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

We were both very young and his mom was still buying his clothes. She managed the local Sears store so you can imagine her sense of style.

image.gif.aec1926e4e78fbd669e125dfc5e030f7.gif

• LOL 13

So this is more of a thing that I just find jarring, but at the end of Bissell commercials, Ms. Bissell says that when you buy a Bissell product, you help save homeless pets. She sounds exactly like Megan Mullally to me, and it weirds me out.

5 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

How? Does Bissell donate millions to every pet shelter and pet rescue? I doubt it. 

The Bissell Pet Foundation has donated millions (I don't know how many) of dollars since its inception nearly ten years ago to over 5000 animal welfare organizations (shelters, rescue groups, and spay/neuter organizations) across the country.

• Useful 10
  • Love 12
On 10/2/2020 at 9:33 AM, kariyaki said:

Or show him getting ready for the date the way a woman would be depicted: trying on t-shirt after t-shirt that all have stretched out necks while he gets more and more freaked out. Finally, on the way to the date he stops off at Walmart to buy a new tee and a bottle of whatever product they're shilling.

Why is he wearing a t-shirt on a first date anyway?

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Or show him getting ready for the date the way a woman would be depicted: trying on t-shirt after t-shirt that all have stretched out necks while he gets more and more freaked out. Finally, on the way to the date he stops off at Walmart to buy a new tee and a bottle of whatever product they're shilling.

that would be very amusing!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Why is he wearing a t-shirt on a first date anyway?

He's wearing it under a sweater (that's why he doesn't realize his shirt is a mess until he sees the expression on her face; I guess he didn't look in the mirror at home until after he'd put on the sweater), but he takes the sweater off right before he sits down.  There's no noticeable reason for him to do so, either; she's in a short-sleeved dress, with no sweater or jacket in sight, so it doesn't seem like it was cold outside, and there's no mention of the restaurant being uncomfortably warm. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

He's wearing it under a sweater (that's why he doesn't realize his shirt is a mess until he sees the expression on her face; I guess he didn't look in the mirror at home until after he'd put on the sweater), but he takes the sweater off right before he sits down.  There's no noticeable reason for him to do so, either; she's in a short-sleeved dress, with no sweater or jacket in sight, so it doesn't seem like it was cold outside, and there's no mention of the restaurant being uncomfortably warm. 

Ain't nobody putting this shirt on without noticing the neckline:

image.png.6f846911b97ae8bb311a9045e9f95dd7.png

Plus, he looks gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (TM Seinfeld)

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Although he has a pair of Levi's that probably came from the Clinton administration. 

I too have a couple of pairs of these! They're the best!

What I don't get about the commercial is the removing of the pullover sweater, haha! Sure, he may be hot (and it doesn't bother me that he did it), but it's not something I have seen done in a restaurant too much. Either way, the shirt neck was probably more or less normal when he first put it on.

There's some commercial for an online snack (particularly various nuts) business that bugs me. Not the business itself, because whatever. But it opens with "Is grocery shopping driving you nuts? Then buy your shit here instead." But nuts and snacks are not "grocery shopping" necessarily; you'd still need to shop elsewhere. Also, it comes across as if it's somehow unique and revolutionary to...order things online?

• Love 2

I don't know if anyone posted this commercial here or in the "crap that doesn't work" thread, but I do know it just makes me roll my eyes at the "Only Three payments of 29.99, plus S&H" which equals the "normally cost $99", which is no bargain at all, but paying the same price!

It's that copper Gotham pan set, that shows the idiotic clips of trying to cook eggs without spraying the pan or using whatever cooking spray/butter/etc. OF COURSE they'll STICK! But apparently with this brand, you don't NEED to use ANY type of cooking spray, so ergo, no food sticking! WhattheFEver.🙄

I can't find the commercial that airs on television to show the idiots who cook on the "old" nonstick without cooking spray.

• Love 2

Probably been covered, but I find the Popeye's Chicken commercials with those slobs talking with their mouths full totally sickening.  Did, however like the one they used to show withe the woman sitting in her car "experiencing some things right now."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

If I never hear that nasally French Édith Piaf song again, it will be too soon.  They throw that shit in movies, tv shows and commercials every few years and I hate it with the white hot fire of 1000 suns.  Plus, I don't speak French so I have no idea why it's recycled so much.  Allstate is the latest offender and that shit comes on multiple times during NFL games.  I can't turn the channel quick enough.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 10/1/2020 at 9:02 AM, smittykins said:

Maybe she should have called them “fruit bowls.”

10 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

If I never hear that nasally French Édith Piaf song again, it will be too soon.  They throw that shit in movies, tv shows and commercials every few years and I hate it with the white hot fire of 1000 suns.  Plus, I don't speak French so I have no idea why it's recycled so much.  Allstate is the latest offender and that shit comes on multiple times during NFL games.  I can't turn the channel quick enough.

You mean the one with the lyric "I regretted nothing"?

On ‎09‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 10:08 AM, Ubiquit0us said:

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt.

I didn't think she was being snide or passive-aggressive.  I thought she was struggling to return the compliment by saying something nice about him.

• Love 12

The one that's getting on my nerves lately is the Tom Selleck one about reverse mortgages.  He says a line something like "It's not some scheme to steal American seniors homes or money".  Ok, fine. But he says it with this half-laughing tone like "How silly anyone would think that" that just gets to me for some reason.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, lh25 said:

The one that's getting on my nerves lately is the Tom Selleck one about reverse mortgages.  He says a line something like "It's not some scheme to steal American seniors homes or money".  Ok, fine. But he says it with this half-laughing tone like "How silly anyone would think that" that just gets to me for some reason

and yeah, it's not really stealing your home. But it is (kinda) stealing your home from your heirs. That's just true. Maybe you need it, but let's be honest.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, dleighg said:

and yeah, it's not really stealing your home. But it is (kinda) stealing your home from your heirs. That's just true. Maybe you need it, but let's be honest.

True and that's why I'd never do it. My family does not believe in life insurance so our paid off house will be one of the things we want to leave for our son.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, lh25 said:

The one that's getting on my nerves lately is the Tom Selleck one about reverse mortgages.  He says a line something like "It's not some scheme to steal American seniors homes or money".  Ok, fine. But he says it with this half-laughing tone like "How silly anyone would think that" that just gets to me for some reason.

Yes! My mom and I, every time we see that one, have this reflexive, "Ehhhhh..." reaction. I feel like if you have to make a point of telling people that,  and say it like that besides, there's probably a shady/questionable reason as to why. 

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yes! My mom and I, every time we see that one, have this reflexive, "Ehhhhh..." reaction. I feel like if you have to make a point of telling people that,  and say it like that besides, there's probably a shady/questionable reason as to why. 

Those reverse mortgage schemes are shady and questionable.  I know "never say never" but I would never do it.  Thank God, I don't have to, but those in dire financial straits need to beware -- no matter what has-been TV star is peddling them!

• Love 8

My family doesn't have a mortgage to worry about, 'cause we rent an apartment, so thankfully, no worries there :p. 

(Now I'm trying to recall now if "Last Week Tonight" has ever done an episode on reverse mortgages 😄.)

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My family doesn't have a mortgage to worry about, 'cause we rent an apartment, so thankfully, no worries there :p. 

(Now I'm trying to recall now if "Last Week Tonight" has ever done an episode on reverse mortgages 😄.)

I wonder if Dateline has.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, lh25 said:

The part that gets to me is when he says "It's just like any other loan,...the big difference is how you pay it back," No Tom. If it's "just like any other loan" there IS NO "big difference".

• Love 9