Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Alec and Caleb from Shriner's Hospitals have done some new commercials.  Note:  I have nothing against Shriner's hospital nor the kids themselves, but these commericals just grate on my last nerve.

The new social distancing Internet meeting commercial features a manic Caleb totally over-acting via video confernece with a somewhat subdued Alec.  I do wonder if they are planning on phasing Alec out at some point.

Then there is a "bring the family to school" commercial where Caleb introduces the doctor, nurse, physical therepist and shriner as member of his family.  This one is actually fairly tolerabke,

Finally there is a spelling bee commerical.  All I really remember from this one is that the punch line joke at the end is Alex being asked to spell "adorable".  They milk it dry with that one.

I'm actually considering giving a donation to Shriner's Hospital because they do great things, but I seriously don't want that ugly blanket nor do I want to potentially be set up for and endless stream of spam for them and various other charities.

yeah, agreed and all these commercials along with the ones for the spca are too dang long too

i also hate it when the charity is sending me some well-intended but crappy item - save the money you're using to send me this thing and use it for your foundation's work instead

• Love 6
On 9/16/2020 at 3:21 PM, Brookside said:

McCormick: "With McCormick by your side for over 130 years . . . ."  How old does that make me?

Agree! It would have been more apt had they said "with McCormick at  your loved ones' and your own  side for over 130 years!" 

I mean,  even if folks  didn't have ancestors having immigrated here that far back, surely  most folks have at least some friends who'd had ancestors here  for at least that long!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The paper towel commercial that kills me is the one where the little girl's volcano overflows and dumps approximately forty thousand gallons of shit all over the place and mom comes running to the rescue with a paper towel. Girl, you better grab a shovel and wheelbarrow for all of that.

I hate when they show people using paper towels for things people should use sponges or cloths for.

15 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Alec and Caleb from Shriner's Hospitals have done some new commercials.  Note:  I have nothing against Shriner's hospital nor the kids themselves, but these commericals just grate on my last nerve.

The new social distancing Internet meeting commercial features a manic Caleb totally over-acting via video confernece with a somewhat subdued Alec.  I do wonder if they are planning on phasing Alec out at some point.

Then there is a "bring the family to school" commercial where Caleb introduces the doctor, nurse, physical therepist and shriner as member of his family.  This one is actually fairly tolerabke,

Finally there is a spelling bee commerical.  All I really remember from this one is that the punch line joke at the end is Alex being asked to spell "adorable".  They milk it dry with that one.

I'm actually considering giving a donation to Shriner's Hospital because they do great things, but I seriously don't want that ugly blanket nor do I want to potentially be set up for and endless stream of spam for them and various other charities.

I've been seeing a new one that just has voiceover (from an adult) explaining the kinds of things Shriners treats kids for. I haven't paid much attention, so I'm not sure if they show the same kids they ordinarily show, but it's not cutesy. I actually find it more informative than the previous ones, because they explain that they treat orthopedic problems. I'd previously wondered whether they didn't treat diseases or just think kids in wheelchairs with missing limbs look better in commercials.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, janie jones said:

I hate when they show people using paper towels for things people should use sponges or cloths for.

I've been seeing a new one that just has voiceover (from an adult) explaining the kinds of things Shriners treats kids for. I haven't paid much attention, so I'm not sure if they show the same kids they ordinarily show, but it's not cutesy. I actually find it more informative than the previous ones, because they explain that they treat orthopedic problems. I'd previously wondered whether they didn't treat diseases or just think kids in wheelchairs with missing limbs look better in commercials.

The Shriners International, a fraternal organization, began their children's charity work by helping pediatric burn victims, which they do at Shriner's Hospitals for Children.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Useful 3

I find Caleb (kid from Shriners Hospital ads)quite cute, although I initially detested his high-pitched 'This is MY story: I've broken my bones 1,739 times!!!' stuff. The newer one where he salutes Alec and chirps 'Aye Aye, Cap'n' cracks me up.

I also love the little girl in the hospital (I don't even know what this one is advertising) who wearily says 'Another treatment?', and then the nurse brings in a big old fluffy dog. The kid's face just lights up in a very believable way.

(I'm just now realizing that this should have probably been in 'Favorite Commercials'!

Edited by sempervivum
additional information
  • Love 9
35 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I also love the little girl in the hospital (I don't even know what this one is advertising) who wearily says 'Another treatment?', and then the nurse brings in a big old fluffy dog. The kid's face just lights up in a very believable way.

It's for Pedigree dog food. The dog makes me smile.

• Love 15
45 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I like that one a lot, too.

• Love 10

Back to the hate... the Delta commercial with the guy dancing in the shower is back, and I hate it as much now as I did before. The guy grosses me out. It starts with that weird move he does with his shoulders at the beginning (is an alien going to pop out of his back?). Does he ever use any soap? At the end, with his hair hanging in his face, he still looks dirty. Ugh.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Back to the hate... the Delta commercial with the guy dancing in the shower is back, and I hate it as much now as I did before. The guy grosses me out. It starts with that weird move he does with his shoulders at the beginning (is an alien going to pop out of his back?). Does he ever use any soap? At the end, with his hair hanging in his face, he still looks dirty. Ugh.

That one is on the top of my list of hate commercials too. It feels borderline suggestive and nasty to me.

• Love 1

There is a commercial that is breaking the law: Inogen, the product that makes oxygen.  Their commercial's is at least 25% louder dBa than is allowed by law.  Our TV volume is never changed, except for this horrid jarring ad!  I know it sounds petty, but it is annoying.  I don't know who to report it to.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

There is a commercial that is breaking the law: Inogen, the product that makes oxygen.  Their commercial's is at least 25% louder dBa than is allowed by law.  Our TV volume is never changed, except for this horrid jarring ad!  I know it sounds petty, but it is annoying.  I don't know who to report it to.

First, I'd report to the network playing it. They're the ones that would have to pay fines for the violation, I think. 

And I guess the FCC is the agency who makes those regulations. You could check their website.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That link to the FCC needs to be a sticky post at the top of the forum!  THANKS!!

Yeah, seems like a post it at least once a year.

ETA: I found it by googling "report loud tv commercials". 

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I find Caleb (kid from Shriners Hospital ads)quite cute, although I initially detested his high-pitched 'This is MY story: I've broken my bones 1,739 times!!!' stuff. The newer one where he salutes Alec and chirps 'Aye Aye, Cap'n' cracks me up.

(I'm just now realizing that this should have probably been in 'Favorite Commercials'!

yes, i love that commercial with the hospitalized little girl getting the dog visit!

hopefully Shriners has heard comments about the overly long earlier commercials and will show this one more

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Confidential to the doleful couple who use Dole Fruit Bowls as a euphemism for intimacy -- nobody cares about your lack of fruit bowls.

Awwww, I do! They look so sad. Everybody needs that good thang.

Also "doleful" couple - I see what you did there! 🤣

• Love 6
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 5:18 PM, janie jones said:

I can't stand the Dixie commercial where the guy spills spaghetti all over his date's lap. Why is he using paper plates when it's just him and one other person? Is he that fucking lazy? Then that girl should run. Can he not afford nice plates? You can buy two decent plates for two dollars at the dollar store, and it'll be cheaper than a pack of Dixie plates, not to mention create less garbage

I just saw this commercial for the first time the other night.  Just.....ugh!  It's just an obvious exaggeration by using flimsy paper plates in order to sell you on the sturdier Dixie plates.  Reminds me of the ploy infomercials use to sell a product that's supposed to make your life easier by showing clips of a person doing it the 'old way' and reallllllly struggling.  Like, that vegetable chopper where you put them in a tube and pump the chopper up and down and......voila! …..instant cut veggies in a snap.  Whereas, they show a black and white clip of a woman hunched over the sink 'strugggggling' to shred a carrot with an old fashioned vegetable peeler, all the while she's dropping it and pretend cutting herself in over-dramatic fashion

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

I just saw this commercial for the first time the other night.  Just.....ugh!  It's just an obvious exaggeration by using flimsy paper plates in order to sell you on the sturdier Dixie plates.  Reminds me of the ploy infomercials use to sell a product that's supposed to make your life easier by showing clips of a person doing it the 'old way' and reallllllly struggling.  Like, that vegetable chopper where you put them in a tube and pump the chopper up and down and......voila! …..instant cut veggies in a snap.  Whereas, they show a black and white clip of a woman hunched over the sink 'strugggggling' to shred a carrot with an old fashioned vegetable peeler, all the while she's dropping it and pretend cutting herself in over-dramatic fashion

"Are you tired of staying up allll night peeling hard boiled eggs?

• LOL 11
  • Love 4

on the topic of over-the-top complaining, there's this radio commercial I hear for Swiffer wetjet. Can't find a link. But this nasal-voiced woman is complaining about having to FILL THE BUCKET, SQUEEZE THE MOP, EMPTY THE BUCKET, CLEAN THE MOP so you don't get GERMS. 

"A Hassle on top of a HASSLE"

First world problems indeed. I mean, I get the the wetjet is pretty convenient. But seriously, talking about mopping as if it's equivalent to having to fetch water from 2 miles down a dirt track....

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

on the topic of over-the-top complaining, there's this radio commercial I hear for Swiffer wetjet. Can't find a link. But this nasal-voiced woman is complaining about having to FILL THE BUCKET, SQUEEZE THE MOP, EMPTY THE BUCKET, CLEAN THE MOP so you don't get GERMS. 

"A Hassle on top of a HASSLE"

First world problems indeed. I mean, I get the the wetjet is pretty convenient. But seriously, talking about mopping as if it's equivalent to having to fetch water from 2 miles down a dirt track....

Mine leaked all over the closet floor and caused my DH's tool box to rust.

2 hours ago, ctlady said:

This commercial bugs the crap out of me.   It's starts with the line "Ruined our dinner" with a long beat.  That's not a complete sentence.  Why is he making this statement?   Who is he making it to?  It's just a completely oddball way to start a commercial.  

4 hours ago, ctlady said:

Reminds me of the ploy infomercials use to sell a product that's supposed to make your life easier by showing clips of a person doing it the 'old way' and reallllllly struggling. 

Can it core a apple?

image.png.1878ae71e9e9b30d709dd5659135edf3.png

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 9/19/2020 at 8:56 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

All the sonic commercials suck.  Those people sitting in a car talking about sonic...they're all irritating. 

Apart from the fact that they make me hungry watching, I kinda like them

So, the four Emgality commercials that come up in my search are all targeted towards women - two of which are young moms who can't play princess or bake volcano cupcakes with their kids because of migraines. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There's a girl on one of the Sonic commercials who likes eating in the car because she can order one of everything off the menu and not get judged for it. That's a sure fire way to end up as one of Dr. Now's 600-pound patients.

• LOL 5
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 11:02 PM, blackwing said:

I don't know if she's supposed to be playing a caricature of herself (one that apparently confuses "tax attorney" and "taxidermy") that purposely sounds bad, or what.

The "taxidermy" "tax attorney" confusion is supposed to be a riff on Travolta's "Adele Dazeem" weirdness at the Oscars.

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 10:55 PM, theatremouse said:

You realize she has 3 Tonys, all for musicals?

I personally dislike her voice under normal circumstances, but she does sound even worse in the commercial.  I do think she's supposed to be a caricature, though.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 9:56 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought that, too, but then I saw another with that asshat Terry Bradshaw.

I at least find Terry Bradshaw amusing in real life.  Not in that commercial, though.

• Love 4

The absolutely worst valley girl/vocal fry voice on tv currently is the Farmer's Dog (dog food) ad with some droopy, depressed-acting woman who claims her dog 'didn't like food' or some such foolishness. She says the dog would 'wait til night and then decided not to starve' or words to that effect. 

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

The absolutely worst valley girl/vocal fry voice on tv currently is the Farmer's Dog (dog food) ad with some droopy, depressed-acting woman who claims her dog 'didn't like food' or some such foolishness. She says the dog would 'wait til night and then decided not to starve' or words to that effect. 

As a seasoned vocal fry hater, I just had to see this.  Found it.  Off the charts fry and what's with the choppy delivery of words?  Barely understandable.

The Farmers Dog Malo

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

New peeve here. The Bullet commercial showing bartenders flinging bottles and long pouring. The end line is "let's keep our bartenders barring"...  um no,. let's keep them "tending bar". 

And also, no, let's not.  Bars do not need to be in operation right now.

• Love 13
On 9/23/2020 at 8:25 AM, sempervivum said:

I'm guessing you're lucky enough to have never heard the Kardashians.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Ugh, the passive-aggressive bitch who tells the guy she's dating his tshirt "looks comfortable" is back. Granted, he should know he looks like a slob, but really, how rude is it to say that after he complements you?

On 9/16/2020 at 6:47 PM, CrystalBlue said:

According to Snopes, that is true!  The extra added bonus of eliminating the word Fried was touted as the real reason, I suspect so they would appear to be progressive and cool and PC and, dare I say, woke?

I think it's more a way to sound more healthful than woke.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:09 PM, ebk57 said:

I can't really decide if this should go in the "Say What" thread, but it annoys me more than it puzzles me...  The Nissan Sentra commercial where the woman is told by her boss that she won't be getting a raise.  The car pulls up and they go on a ride where she is convinced not to compromise because the car doesn't compromise (or something).  I get the "don't compromise" part, but really, buying a car and not getting a raise aren't even on the same planet. How does this car help her get a raise???  (unless she's supposed to run over her boss with it... hmmmm.....)  I'm irrationally annoyed by this.

I hate that one. Am I supposed to know who the bitch barking orders at the woman who was passed over for a promotion to get in her car is? So annoying.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I hate that one. Am I supposed to know who the bitch barking orders at the woman who was passed over for a promotion to get in her car is? So annoying.

She's the Nissan Life Coach who tells you not to eat, to rudely leave your boss standing on  the street, to buy a new car even though you just got passed over for a promotion, and then drive recklessly because the car will stop itself before you hit something or someone. Follow her advice and you'll be hungry, jobless, broke, and living in your fancy new car. What more could you want? Thank you Nissan Life Coach!

• LOL 14
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I would like that commercial if the woman driving the Nissan picked up the other woman and drove her to a new, better job with a great future, leaving her asshole boss in the dust.  Oh well.

• Love 17
On 9/17/2020 at 2:57 PM, ctlady said:

And PLEASE stop with the Buick/Alexa commercials that continue to target lazy, self-absorbed douche-waddles."  "Alexa....I'm too busy putting my diamond earrings in - start my Buick" Oh, and the kid with the driver's ed teacher using the auto-steer to parallel park.  I'd fail his rear-end and made sure he'd never get a license. 

Oh, I hate that Buick/Alexa commercial in which someone is actually arguing that the car is an "Alexa"...  Were these people recently kicked in the head by a mule?

On 9/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, mmecorday said:

For a while there was a prescription drug that used (or is it abused) Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" in its TV ads. Now there's an equally terrible version of that song being used in Xfinity's current TV ad campaign. And then there's the matter of the woman on horse back riding through a city street like she's Rick Grimes. WTF?

For some reason, I dislike the 1970's-looking girl trimming a Bonzai tree.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, BigBingerBro said:

Alec and Caleb from Shriner's Hospitals have done some new commercials.  Note:  I have nothing against Shriner's hospital nor the kids themselves, but these commercials just grate on my last nerve.

The new social distancing Internet meeting commercial features a manic Caleb totally over-acting via video conference with a somewhat subdued Alec.  I do wonder if they are planning on phasing Alec out at some point.

I thought they began to phase Alec out of the Shriner commercials when they introduced the new younger and cuter kid arriving for the first time.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ashforth said:

I think he's kinda hot.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:
On 9/17/2020 at 2:57 PM, ctlady said:

And PLEASE stop with the Buick/Alexa commercials that continue to target lazy, self-absorbed douche-waddles."  "Alexa....I'm too busy putting my diamond earrings in - start my Buick" Oh, and the kid with the driver's ed teacher using the auto-steer to parallel park.  I'd fail his rear-end and made sure he'd never get a license. 

Oh, I hate that Buick/Alexa commercial in which someone is actually arguing that the car is an "Alexa"...  Were these people recently kicked in the head by a mule?

On 9/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, mmecorday said:

For a while there was a prescription drug that used (or is it abused) Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" in its TV ads. Now there's an equally terrible version of that song being used in Xfinity's current TV ad campaign. And then there's the matter of the woman on horse back riding through a city street like she's Rick Grimes. WTF?

For some reason, I dislike the 1970's-looking girl trimming a Bonzai tree.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, BigBingerBro said:

Alec and Caleb from Shriner's Hospitals have done some new commercials.  Note:  I have nothing against Shriner's hospital nor the kids themselves, but these commercials just grate on my last nerve.

The new social distancing Internet meeting commercial features a manic Caleb totally over-acting via video conference with a somewhat subdued Alec.  I do wonder if they are planning on phasing Alec out at some point.

I thought they began to phase Alec out of the Shriner commercials when they introduced the new younger and cuter kid arriving for the first time.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ashforth said:

I think he's kinda hot.

I'm in awe that a human being can move like that. I find it impressive.

• Love 4