Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

To which I always shout "Resilience!  Resilience is the noun, damn it.  Resilient is the adjective.  Resiliency is a freaking made up word.".

oh me too! There was a radio commercial awhile back that used that word and it drove me bananas!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

I'll still take him over Broadway Joe doing Medicare commercials

The "Dear MS - you don't own me" Ocrevus commercial bugs me.  The way the actors are directed to stare into the camera ( close enough to count their nose hairs), pivot and walk away in slo-mo giving the 'peace' sign (indicating only needing the medication 2 times a year) comes across kind of smug

Yes it's annoying.  I like the part that warns one of the many side effects is breast cancerWTF!?!

Aside from the intense serious looks, everyone is "enjoying life to the fullest" and only two canes are shown as walking aids, while one gal is walking her dog, to boot, with leash in one hand and cane in the other, and nary a walker or wheelchair in sight.  This must be for the "mild to moderate" cases of Multiple Sclerosis, which is a progressive disease.  One of the girls I went to high school with, younger than me, died from MS.

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Resiliency is a freaking made up word

All words are made up:)  Apparently resiliency was made up in 1721.  Although, I don't know that I've ever actually heard it used.

9 hours ago, Katy M said:

All words are made up:)  Apparently resiliency was made up in 1721.  Although, I don't know that I've ever actually heard it used.

Its primary meaning, however, has to do with material properties (rubber has resiliency). It's only a minor alternate down the list for how it's being used, a meaning that has a perfectly good word already (resilience).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The way he says it is so whiny.

Well, to me in just feeds into the entitled American attitude.  Those call center folks do not need 75 year olds calling in yelling "But I want the benefits I DESERVE!" to some 23 year old.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

What do folks mean when they say someone is "smug?"  Nothing wrong with self confidence. 

Smug is more unearned arrogance and looking down on others more than just a reasonable amount of self-confidence.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
16 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yes it's annoying.  I like the part that warns one of the many side effects is breast cancerWTF!?!

Aside from the intense serious looks, everyone is "enjoying life to the fullest" and only two canes are shown as walking aids, while one gal is walking her dog, to boot, with leash in one hand and cane in the other, and nary a walker or wheelchair in sight.  This must be for the "mild to moderate" cases of Multiple Sclerosis, which is a progressive disease.  One of the girls I went to high school with, younger than me, died from MS.

There are at least 3 recognized types of MS. Not all are progressive. Their treatments also vary from type to type, and patient to patient. What works for one may not work for another. It's a tricky horrible autoimmune disorder/disease.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

What do folks mean when they say someone is "smug?"  Nothing wrong with self confidence. 

Smug is more unearned arrogance and looking down on others more than just a reasonable amount of self-confidence.

Exactly.  But in the case of a dialogue-less commercial where we have to read the actors' faces to garner what they're trying to convey, what's always intended is not always perceived that way.  Maybe the intent was confidence, but for some reason I didn't perceive it that way.  I guess it's just me

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

You can be self-confident without being smug:

Not smug: "We bought a house and are so stoked!"

Smug: "We bought a house and are so stoked! You still rent, right?"

It's the in your face, this makes me better than you tone and look that makes someone smug. It's taking your own achievement-- wonderful as it may be-- and using it to put down someone else that makes a person smug. 

• Love 14
33 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

You can be self-confident without being smug:

Not smug: "We bought a house and are so stoked!"

Smug: "We bought a house and are so stoked! You still rent, right?"

It's the in your face, this makes me better than you tone and look that makes someone smug. It's taking your own achievement-- wonderful as it may be-- and using it to put down someone else that makes a person smug. 

Yep, that's what I meant by punching down. Humor is generally derived from punching up, so to speak. Mocking people with power, those who discriminate against the powerless. Smugness is exactly the way you described it. "My wedding is next April, we're having our honeymoon in Portugal. Is your husband still looking for work?"

• Love 12

There are so many actors that commercials make me dislike. Some people I never even thought one way or the other about.

Now it's Tracy Ellis.  I wish she hadn't decided it was a good way to make a quick buck by making a Lay's potato chip ad with talking chip bags.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, tres bien said:

There are so many actors that commercials make me dislike. Some people I never even thought one way or the other about.

Now it's Tracy Ellis.  I wish she hadn't decided it was a good way to make a quick buck by making a Lay's potato chip ad with talking chip bags.

I hate those stupid voices she does.

• Love 6
On 10/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, Crashcourse said:

I'm much older but I love BTS (I think they're adorable), and I love Dynamite.  

Me too! I didn't want to like them but they grew on me!

I love the song when it comes on I start dancing to it, cant help it. & I'm in m 60s

• Love 3

I thought "Dynamite" was a Bruno Mars song, it has that kind of sound to it.

I'm not super familiar with BTS' music, but I've seen them on Colbert a couple times and they seem like fun. As someone who had her own boy band phase back in the day, I totally get the appeal :D.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, janie jones said:

"Oh my gush" would be better.

My thinking is that since this is aimed at young women, a phrase that sounds like 'WTF' is much cooler than an old fogey-ish Oh my gosh. 

I guess I should be thankful they didn't include an animated depiction of a big spurt of red stuff landing on the pad 🤮

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nQz9/kaiser-permanente-telehealth-shoulder

I can't stand the way he sings Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It's like nails on a chalkboard. It's not that he's a bad singer, it's that he's singing it wrong. And as if the kid is just going to immediately stop running around like a maniac.

Agree. I like the message that this doctor is willing to do what he can to help the patient get control of the kid so she can concentrate on the consultation, but going all stylistic on a simple child's tune is just annoying. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Agree. I like the message that this doctor is willing to do what he can to help the patient get control of the kid so she can concentrate on the consultation, but going all stylistic on a simple child's tune is just annoying. 

Everyone wants to be a star!  😃

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

Using Rocket Man in the Rakuten commercial makes me stabby. I always get a bit sad to hear a classic song being used to sell something. When the commercial using the classic song is fucking stupid, it just makes it worse.  

Or when it's really obvious they have no idea what the song is about, using it no matter how inappropriate.

• Love 17
On 10/19/2020 at 2:29 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

I hate the Allstate ad with the woman rolling out of bed and continuing to roll as if she were trapped in a growing cartoon avalanche snowball.

Hey, as long as she's rolling to Bill Withers's song "Lovely Day," she can roll across the whole country!  I don't watch the commercial, but I sure do listen to it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, TeapotDiva said:

Hey, as long as she's rolling to Bill Withers's song "Lovely Day," she can roll across the whole country!  I don't watch the commercial, but I sure do listen to it.

I  love that commercial. Every time it comes on I just close my eyes and listen to that song.  It even makes me glad I have Allstate.  I realize that's irrational but I adore that song.

On the other hand if I have to hear one more Limu Emu commercial I may get stabby. And it's on everywhere.  And don't get me started on the fact that there's an emu in it in the first place. God I hate that commercial.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I  love that commercial. Every time it comes on I just close my eyes and listen to that song.  It even makes me glad I have Allstate.  I realize that's irrational but I adore that song.

Because I often have the TV on while cooking, I'd heard that ad many many times before I saw it. I had no idea this was the music for the HATED CARPET ROLLING WOMAN until yesterday LOL. I agree, I like that song a lot. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

Because I often have the TV on while cooking, I'd heard that ad many many times before I saw it. I had no idea this was the music for the HATED CARPET ROLLING WOMAN until yesterday LOL. I agree, I like that song a lot. 

Same. I thought I really liked that commercial because I love the song and had no idea what was actually in the ad. The I saw it. As I said before, if that happened to me, it would be the single worst day of my life. 

• Love 4

Okay - the Nordstrom commercial with the 50-ish "do, do, do, do, do......la,la,la,la,la" tune - the kid with the red sneakers stuck out of the passenger side window bothers me.  Not the kid, but the act.  I find feet (covered or uncovered) stuck out of a car window squicky.  Not to mention its a terribly unsafe position if there's an accident

And I see the GMAC holiday commercial is back with the young, obviously with lots-o-money couple surprising each other with gifts.  She gifts him with what looks like FitBits and he says, "I got us something too"......and takes out the front door to find black and red GMAC trucks in the driveway (which she miraculously did NOT happen to see).  Again - unless you're bringing in the bucks, I don't find buying his and hers trucks (without the other's financial consent) to be realistic at all.

And I think I may be the only one hoping Peloton brings back the controversial commercial from last year - which I didn't find controversial at all

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Okay - the Nordstrom commercial with the 50-ish "do, do, do, do, do......la,la,la,la,la" tune - the kid with the red sneakers stuck out of the passenger side window bothers me.  Not the kid, but the act.  I find feet (covered or uncovered) stuck out of a car window squicky.  Not to mention its a terribly unsafe position if there's an accident

And I see the GMAC holiday commercial is back with the young, obviously with lots-o-money couple surprising each other with gifts.  She gifts him with what looks like FitBits and he says, "I got us something too"......and takes out the front door to find black and red GMAC trucks in the driveway (which she miraculously did NOT happen to see).  Again - unless you're bringing in the bucks, I don't find buying his and hers trucks (without the other's financial consent) to be realistic at all.

And I think I may be the only one hoping Peloton brings back the controversial commercial from last year - which I didn't find controversial at all

It also would be nice if the husband knew his wife would want the black truck instead of the red one. He clearly doesn't so he blew a ton of money to buy two trucks and didn't even know which one she would want. 

• Love 4
On 11/6/2020 at 4:58 PM, configdotsys said:

Using Rocket Man in the Rakuten commercial makes me stabby. I always get a bit sad to hear a classic song being used to sell something. When the commercial using the classic song is fucking stupid, it just makes it worse.  

I'm really disappointed if Elton John sold out to let this song be used in the commercial.  If he did not approve this, I hope he sues!

• Love 6
21 hours ago, TeapotDiva said:

Oh gawd, I hate that song! 

51 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just want to smack her.

That Chime ad with the woman bragging about getting paid a day early totally reminds me of that bit on Family Guy in which Peter's boss gives him a "standing desk" and makes him be an asshole about it, followed by a headline from the company newsletter reading "Man's Car Keyed - Everyone Is Suspeted"! 🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

“And I walk into the office boasting that I already got paid...”

Got it - using Chime will make me a giant asshole.  Sign me up!

Yes, getting paid "early" is such an accomplishment.  It will still be a full week or two till the next pay check.  It's pretty hard to see this as a great financial strategy.  It's common for banks to post earnings ahead of the actual pay day - absolutely nothing special.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Suzn said:

Yes, getting paid "early" is such an accomplishment.  It will still be a full week or two till the next pay check.  It's pretty hard to see this as a great financial strategy.  It's common for banks to post earnings ahead of the actual pay day - absolutely nothing special.

It's just direct deposit. All banks do it.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

I'm really disappointed if Elton John sold out to let this song be used in the commercial.  If he did not approve this, I hope he sues!

Of course he (and Bernie) did. I'm always amazed that people richer than God and older than dirt will sell out their legacy for more $$$.

At least they changed the words to fit their pitch, but in some ways that makes it worse.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Of course he (and Bernie) did. I'm always amazed that people richer than God and older than dirt will sell out their legacy for more $$$.

At least they changed the words to fit their pitch, but in some ways that makes it worse.

Yeah, um "sell out" has never been a thing that Elton John was worried about being called. He was never one of those idealists like Bob Dylan or something.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I just want to smack her.

There's a new Chime commercial with a seemingly girl-next-door type attractive woman standing in front of a white screen background but when she talks all I can concentrate on is that snaggletooth* on the left upper side (to your right) of her mouth.  Then she's holding her cell phone sporting quite the bridal set of engagement and wedding ring combo, all sparkly covered with diamonds.  Her husband can't pay for her to have her teeth fixed if he's that rich?  LOL  Ends with that smug look while she walks off screen saying "Banking like it should be."  You know, get your paycheck two days earlier.

* I don't know what else to call it.  It's like that singer Jewel with one of the teeth way in back of the other teeth.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1