Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I've never seen 90 Day Fiancé

Boy, do I envy you. I became addicted to that show early in the Pandemic.

I will be so happy when the open enrollment period for Medicare is over so I won't be seeing Joe Namath on TV during every commercial break.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

what bugs me about the ads for these Medicare Advantage plans is they don't make clear that it is *different* than Medicare-- more like an HMO, with various restrictions. They say things like "you can get all this great stuff (dental, etc etc) -- you just have to ask!!!!." For some folks this can be a good option, but there are serious restrictions-- for example my elderly father was "encouraged" to join one of these, giving up his rather more expensive Medicare supplemental plan. Then he broke his hip, had fewer/less attractive options for rehab, wheelchairs, hospital beds, etc etc, and couldn't get his old supplemental back the next time open enrollment came around. Anyway, you need to be fairly sophisticated to really understand the differences. it's not "all you have to do is ask!"

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

what bugs me about the ads for these Medicare Advantage plans is they don't make clear that it is *different* than Medicare-- more like an HMO, with various restrictions. They say things like "you can get all this great stuff (dental, etc etc) -- you just have to ask!!!!." For some folks this can be a good option, but there are serious restrictions-- for example my elderly father was "encouraged" to join one of these, giving up his rather more expensive Medicare supplemental plan. Then he broke his hip, had fewer/less attractive options for rehab, wheelchairs, hospital beds, etc etc, and couldn't get his old supplemental back the next time open enrollment came around. Anyway, you need to be fairly sophisticated to really understand the differences. it's not "all you have to do is ask!"

advantage plans also have ppo plans as well, but yes they would entice older people to change from current Medicare A& B with like a free membership to a gym or for free eye glasses

• Love 2
On 10/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I hate the Caspar one too. I hated it even when I was a kid. What's cute about a dead child?

I never thought of Caspar as a dead child and I am really OLD.   That said, I just love Caspar's enthusiasm for watching movies and getting  snacks.   It just struck my funny bone for some crazy reason!  Maybe because everything is so morbid these days and we are stuck in the house.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

All you  have to do is ask:   Your lawyer to read the fine print!   It is a nightmare every year figuring out how they are messing with  me again

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, oceanview said:

I never thought of Caspar as a dead child and I am really OLD.   That said, I just love Caspar's enthusiasm for watching movies and getting  snacks.   It just struck my funny bone for some crazy reason!  Maybe because everything is so morbid these days and we are stuck in the house.

Apparently, the Word of God is that “Casper is a ghost because his mom and dad were ghosts.”

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Another 'the millenial ad agency flunky picked a Boomer anthem based entirely on the title, even though it's completely incongruous with the product we're pimping' example: using 'Cat in the Cradle' for a Heineken Zero ad. The ad is supposed to be a warm and fuzzy dad/son moment, while the song is of course a man's bitter lament about his neglectful father.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Another 'the millenial ad agency flunky picked a Boomer anthem based entirely on the title, even though it's completely incongruous with the product we're pimping' example: using 'Cat in the Cradle' for a Heineken Zero ad. The ad is supposed to be a warm and fuzzy dad/son moment, while the song is of course a man's bitter lament about his neglectful father.

Indeed it is. It's all about regret and the painful realization the life is short and you should appreciate the people in your life while you can. What a shitty way to treat the Great Harry Chapin. I blame either his record company or greedy relatives.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Indeed it is. It's all about regret and the painful realization the life is short and you should appreciate the people in your life while you can. What a shitty way to treat the Great Harry Chapin. I blame either his record company or greedy relatives.

Sometimes, the heirs loan the rights to a "promoter" who promises a higher profile/more royalties for the dead artist/estate and then unscrupulously shares the rights with dubious advertisers. The artist & heirs are screwed until the contract ends.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Some medication ad, that I could not figure out what it was supposed to be curing me of, played “We Got the Beat” by The Go-Go’s and I am baffled how anyone signed off on that.

Heart disease?  Your heart has the beat, it's got the beat, it's got the beat, yeah, your hearts got it.

• LOL 6
42 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Heart disease?  Your heart has the beat, it's got the beat, it's got the beat, yeah, your hearts got it.

The beat goes on, the beat goes on
Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da

They've been using that one for heart meds too.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, sempervivum said:

Or is it the perfect song? The subtext being, of course, that the dad has a drinking problem, and while this is a rare warm and fuzzy moment in their relationship, due to the father's drinking, they do indeed have a "Cats in the Cradle" relationship. The flunky in question knew exactly what they were doing. "Say it Ain't So" was too on the nose.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, janie jones said:

Or is it the perfect song? The subtext being, of course, that the dad has a drinking problem, and while this is a rare warm and fuzzy moment in their relationship, due to the father's drinking, they do indeed have a "Cats in the Cradle" relationship. The flunky in question knew exactly what they were doing. "Say it Ain't So" was too on the nose.

A quick read of the lyrics would reveal that the father in the song is a WORKAHOLIC, not an alcoholic.

I don't know the 2 guys in the ad (who apparently are famous race car drivers), but Google doesn't indicate that dad (Keke) has ever had a drinking problem, so not sure where that interpretation is coming from.

• Love 5
On 10/19/2020 at 6:09 PM, leocadia said:

Why do all cell phone commercials have to use annoying music/songs?  The latest one for Galaxy (?) that wants to "light it up like dynomite" is incredibly annoying.  

That's the number one song in the country.

I just saw an ad for some hair product that said it will make your hair "video call ready".  Do you need your hair to look different for video calls than for the rest of your life?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I just saw an ad for some hair product that said it will make your hair "video call ready".  Do you need your hair to look different for video calls than for the rest of your life?

I guess, when you never leave your house. What a year.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Apparently, I'm the holder of an unpopular opinion, lol.  I'm clearly not  up on popular music.  Maybe the rest of the song is better? 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, leocadia said:

Apparently, I'm the holder of an unpopular opinion, lol.  I'm clearly not  up on popular music.  Maybe the rest of the song is better? 

I've never seen the commercial but if it's the number one song in the country right now, I'm pretty guaranteed to hate it.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 9
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

t's the Korean boy band BTS.

that's amusing. I'd heard of them but knew none of their music. And I think their music sounds much more like the crummy background of a commercial than a true "big hit." I'd much rather listen to Billie Eilish, and I'm OLD.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

The new Kraft Macaroni and Cheese commercial where the mom chases her child, screeching "You're having one more bite!"  I guess they are unaware pf the more modern consensus that force-feeding kids is cruel and leads to all forms of disordered eating. Brings back memories of lima beans and liver for me.

• Love 11
On 10/20/2020 at 4:39 PM, sempervivum said:

The ad is supposed to be a warm and fuzzy dad/son moment, while the song is of course a man's bitter lament about his neglectful father.

I thought it was the lament of a workaholic father realizing he missed his son’s life.  Either way, it is another weird pairing of song to product.

I know I’m going to regret this, can someone remind me what was the previous song they used, the one with the very precise race car driver.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, ReviewX said:

The new Kraft Macaroni and Cheese commercial where the mom chases her child, screeching "You're having one more bite!"  I guess they are unaware pf the more modern consensus that force-feeding kids is cruel and leads to all forms of disordered eating. Brings back memories of lima beans and liver for me.

That ad has been around forever. I was sorry to see it resurrected, because it's stupid.

• Love 11

I'm 71, as a child I remember many times I had to sit at the table until I ate whatever food it was I didn't like...usually it was liver. My younger brother and I were often in this situation...food on plate, can't get up until you eat it.  We quickly discovered that if we tossed it under the refrigerator no one was the wiser. We got off...lol but years later when that refrigerator finally died...no one could explain the flat black gummy gunk under it...by then we were grown and out of the house. My mom would never have chased me with a fork to eat...she would get out the switch and "make me eat"...yeah abused as a child...thus food under the fridge...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I am super over the Kit Kat commercial with Dracula waking up inside a Kit Kat coffin and then screaming "I'm up! I'm Up! Five more minutes!" . I hate the stupid "yawn" sound he makes, along with the annoying screechy alarm clock blaring over him. It's like a cacophony of shrillness. Plus, the whole commercial just doesn't make much since. Of course, it airs during every commercial break of whatever show I'm watching.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

I am super over the Kit Kat commercial with Dracula waking up inside a Kit Kat coffin and then screaming "I'm up! I'm Up! Five more minutes!" . I hate the stupid "yawn" sound he makes, along with the annoying screechy alarm clock blaring over him. It's like a cacophony of shrillness. Plus, the whole commercial just doesn't make much since. Of course, it airs during every commercial break of whatever show I'm watching.

They're obviously ripping off Reeses.

• Love 1
On 10/22/2020 at 10:03 PM, Gramto6 said:

I'm 71, as a child I remember many times I had to sit at the table until I ate whatever food it was I didn't like...usually it was liver. My younger brother and I were often in this situation...food on plate, can't get up until you eat it.  We quickly discovered that if we tossed it under the refrigerator no one was the wiser. We got off...lol but years later when that refrigerator finally died...no one could explain the flat black gummy gunk under it...by then we were grown and out of the house. My mom would never have chased me with a fork to eat...she would get out the switch and "make me eat"...yeah abused as a child...thus food under the fridge...

Eventually, my mom would surrender by saying, "Just eat the meat," because meat was EXPENSIVE.  And, fortunately for all of us, she never made liver. Sometimes, as a non-wage-earning wife, she'd make herself chicken livers for lunch when no one else was around, but she never forced us to eat it (she would share it with the cats).  But, man, I really hated her "economy meal" of scrambled eggs & Spam. The economy meal I did like, weird as it sounds, was noodles with cottage cheese.  Toasted bread crumbs on top, sprinkled with a wee bit of sugar, it was quite edible. But, heck, I'd eat any kind of pasta. And it shows.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Eventually, my mom would surrender by saying, "Just eat the meat," because meat was EXPENSIVE.  And, fortunately for all of us, she never made liver. Sometimes, as a non-wage-earning wife, she'd make herself chicken livers for lunch when no one else was around, but she never forced us to eat it (she would share it with the cats).  But, man, I really hated her "economy meal" of scrambled eggs & Spam. The economy meal I did like, weird as it sounds, was noodles with cottage cheese.  Toasted bread crumbs on top, sprinkled with a wee bit of sugar, it was quite edible. But, heck, I'd eat any kind of pasta. And it shows.

My dad loved liver. My mom and I hated it so when she made it for him, she would have oysters which he hated and she would make a pork chop for me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 10/22/2020 at 7:54 PM, ReviewX said:

I guess they are unaware pf the more modern consensus that force-feeding kids is cruel and leads to all forms of disordered eating.

As someone who was not raised by a modern parent who let's their kids decide what they want to eat, I didn't feel any type of a 'force feeding' vibe from this.  To me, it doesn't come across as trying to get your kid to clean their plate (because they're are starving kids in the world who would crawl across glass just for one forkful of ucky green beans), but making sure they at least eat enough types of foods that contain some decent nutritious content.  This bratty kid won't eat green beans, but will devour macaroni and orange powder mixed with milk to create 'cheese'. 

One of my great-nephews when he was younger would only eat chicken nuggets, hot dogs and plain pasta with sauce ( no allergies or anything to any other foods - just those were his favorites and wanted them all the time) and their parents enabled that.  He's now older and will eat whatever is put in front of him, but I remember how my niece and nephew jumped through hoops to make sure he had what he wanted as not to cause a tantrum or fuss. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, ctlady said:

As someone who was not raised by a modern parent who let's their kids decide what they want to eat, I didn't feel any type of a 'force feeding' vibe from this.  To me, it doesn't come across as trying to get your kid to clean their plate (because they're are starving kids in the world who would crawl across glass just for one forkful of ucky green beans), but making sure they at least eat enough types of foods that contain some decent nutritious content.  This bratty kid won't eat green beans, but will devour macaroni and orange powder mixed with milk to create 'cheese'. 

One of my great-nephews when he was younger would only eat chicken nuggets, hot dogs and plain pasta with sauce ( no allergies or anything to any other foods - just those were his favorites and wanted them all the time) and their parents enabled that.  He's now older and will eat whatever is put in front of him, but I remember how my niece and nephew jumped through hoops to make sure he had what he wanted as not to cause a tantrum or fuss. 

I say let 'em go hungry, They'll eat when they get hungry enough and then you offer them healthy choices. I never kept cookies, candy or soda in the house. Cake was something that came with candles on it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Liberty Mutual is going out of their way to make sure I hate their ads. I didn't really mind the ones in front of the Statue of Liberty until they added that stupid, "Liberty, Liberty, Liberty, Liberty" bs. But then they went with LiMu and Doug and with every ad, I hate Doug more and more. But now he's got a stupid sitcomish theme song. Makes me want to scream!

Then there's Price Line ads about thinking you're a big deal. The woman in the blue dress annoys the heck out of me. She comes out of the elevator and proceeds to block the bellhop pushing a heavy cart full of luggage with her self centered, big deal dance. I really want to reach into the screen and smack her big deal.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 10/5/2020 at 6:46 PM, dleighg said:

and yeah, it's not really stealing your home. But it is (kinda) stealing your home from your heirs. That's just true. Maybe you need it, but let's be honest.

I don’t know how someone can “steal” something that doesn’t even belong to their heirs. If you think that you owe your heirs something in your will, that’s one thing but I don’t think I owe anyone any part of my assets. 

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I don’t know how someone can “steal” something that doesn’t even belong to their heirs. If you think that you owe your heirs something in your will, that’s one thing but I don’t think I owe anyone any part of my assets. 

Yeah, if I sold my house and used the money to go  on a round the world cruise, would that stealing from my heirs.  Or if I leave my home ownsership in tact and I happen to have $50k sitting in the bank to go on said cruise, is that stealing?  Is there an age where I cease to own my stuff and am just stewarding it for my children?

Back to bad commercials: I think I've just kind of gotten numb (for lack of a better word) to Liberty commercials.  I've just gotten neutral to them.  But, I hate the one where the dad is pulling out filing cabinets from behind his daughter.  It's just weird and makes no sense and annoys me to no end.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Back to bad commercials: I think I've just kind of gotten numb (for lack of a better word) to Liberty commercials.  I've just gotten neutral to them.  But, I hate the one where the dad is pulling out filing cabinets from behind his daughter.  It's just weird and makes no sense and annoys me to no end.

I thought he was a magician, unrelated to the mother and daughter, and it was meant to be magic that he pulled all that out from behind her. But I do agree that those are the worst of a bad lot.

• Love 9
On 10/24/2020 at 10:19 AM, ctlady said:

This bratty kid won't eat green beans, but will devour macaroni and orange powder mixed with milk to create 'cheese'. 

But she didn't refuse to eat her vegetable, just ate less - and by one bite - than her mom wanted her to.  Even if her "I'm not hungry" was a lie, and she wasn't actually full, just asserting her independence by leaving a bite on the plate in an act of defiance, all her mom had to do was add an additional bite to the next serving - kid would leave that last one, feeling satisfied she'd made a stand, mom would excuse her, secure in the knowledge she'd had the desired serving, and eat the extra piece herself.  Done; maturity and critical thinking skills utilized, child outwitted but oblivious, dinner peaceful.  That seems a lot better way to manage family meals than cutting short one's own dinner to run around the house like a lunatic, chasing a kid with a fork while demanding "One more bite!"  I find a single bite a rather crazy hill to die on.

The serving size of the mac & cheese side dish at the next meal is too big, the Enya song is annoying, some of the other commercials in the series do show bratty kids ... there are issues, yes.  But in that particular ad, I think the mom is the biggest problem.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9