Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 10/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, Deskisamess said:

I make 6 hard boiled eggs every week. Put in pan, cover well with cold water, bring to rolling boil, put lid on and turn off heat. Let stand 24-26 minutes, less for small eggs.

Pour out hot water, cover with lots of ice and water to quickly chill them.  Let stand in the cold water for an hour, dry and put in fridge. They peel just fine, unless they are super fresh. Let eggs be a week or two old before you boil them. You can shake them around in the pan once they are cold to crack the shells if you want them all peeled at one time.

That's how I was taught to make hard boiled eggs. Works perfectly! I don't need any of those crazy things. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

That's how I was taught to make hard boiled eggs. Works perfectly! I don't need any of those crazy things. 

I wouldn't let mine stand that long. Twelve to fifteen minutes usually works just fine. I can't stand that green edge that the yolks get when they're overcooked.

• Love 5

OMG, that California Psychics commercial is back. "She knew names, she knew all this stuff about me. How could she know?" Gee, maybe she went to your Face Book page as soon as you gave her you credit card information? They're probably not even based in CA. they just use that to sound more New Agey.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I wouldn't let mine stand that long. Twelve to fifteen minutes usually works just fine. I can't stand that green edge that the yolks get when they're overcooked.

I go with 12-13 minutes standing time as I like the yolk a little soft.

• Love 4

12-13 minutes isn't near long enough for large brown eggs. The yolk wouldn't be cooked enough to be considered "hard boiled". 

The green can happen when you are over-boiling the eggs for too long a time. Bringing the eggs to a full rolling boil, then turning off the heat, won't cause green yolks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hate all the commercials for Southern New Hampshire University. Its spokesperson must love to hear himself talk, because they show a montage of him addressing graduates for the last ten or fifteen years. One of the channels I watch shows the ads on endless loop. I just about have the dialogue memorized. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Its spokesperson must love to hear himself talk, because they show a montage of him addressing graduates

Well, their spokesperson is the president of the school (Paul LeBlanc). That's what presidents of universities get to do. They speak at commencements, which is what they're showing. 

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Hate all the commercials for Southern New Hampshire University. Its spokesperson must love to hear himself talk, because they show a montage of him addressing graduates for the last ten or fifteen years. One of the channels I watch shows the ads on endless loop. I just about have the dialogue memorized. 

I totally agree - he's a huge turn-pff.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I really hate the Progressive ads with the roommate who turns the other roommate into a cat person. They must be a seasonal Halloween thing, along with Caspar (also hate)

Yeah, I hate the Caspar one too. I hated it even when I was a kid. What's cute about a dead child?

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I really hate the Progressive ads with the roommate who turns the other roommate into a cat person. They must be a seasonal Halloween thing, along with Caspar (also hate)

Along with the chain saw killer, it's part of Geico's "Geicoween" commercials, resurrected  from past years. I think they're funny.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Along with the chain saw killer, it's part of Geico's "Geicoween" commercials, resurrected  from past years. I think they're funny.

I love all of them, especially the chainsaw murderer. I just never could stand Caspar.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Well, their spokesperson is the president of the school (Paul LeBlanc). That's what presidents of universities get to do. They speak at commencements, which is what they're showing. 

Let SNHU graduates be forced to endure the windbag's speeches.  Let's get John Stamos to be a new spokesperson for SNHU.  He can talk about whatever he wants.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2020 at 11:30 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

Ugh, the passive-aggressive bitch who tells the guy she's dating his tshirt "looks comfortable" is back. Granted, he should know he looks like a slob, but really, how rude is it to say that after he complements you?

I despise the way she says the word comfortable.  I have never heard anyone pronounce it that way.

Those Secret commercials with Camila Mendes and now Serena Williams in them.  The song for the commercial is just terrible. I looked it up and the song is sung by Jessie Reyez (I have never heard of her).

When I listen to her sing I think to myself, "Is there anybody that could possibly think this chick's voice sounds good?" Pretty much what happens whenever I hear Yoko Ono sing.

Another song I hate is the song CBS is using to hype their shows coming back.  I think the woman who sings it says, "At the end of the day, we won't break."  My goodness is she a terrible singer, she is not even singing she's just whining.  Once again very Yoko Ono like.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/9/2020 at 11:46 AM, proserpina65 said:

There are many of us who find those commercials quite funny, especially the one with the therapy group.  "Next thing you know, I'm telling strangers that defense wins championships.  "Well it does."  I love that.  (And yes, defense DOES win championships.)

Oh my gosh, I still laugh until I cry at that line.  Just the way she delivers it:  "Well it does!" gets me every time.

The one with the plumber:  "Okay, you are not assisting him......you hired him."

The other Geico one with the serial killer gets me when he lifts up his mask and it is frustrated with the stupid teens.  He gets a look like "Why me Lord?"  

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Oh my gosh, I still laugh until I cry at that line.  Just the way she delivers it:  "Well it does!" gets me every time.

The one with the plumber:  "Okay, you are not assisting him......you hired him."

"You have no where to sit.  You have too many."

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

"You have no where to sit.  You have too many."

That's probably true.  However, if you're so inclined I see no problem with reading books about submarines.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

That's probably true.  However, if you're so inclined I see no problem with reading books about submarines.

My hubby reads a lot of book on submaries, navy ships, Native American life, Westerns, etc.  He is only 55!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

My hubby reads a lot of book on submaries, navy ships, Native American life, Westerns, etc.  He is only 55!

Based on the premise that buying home insurance will turn you into your parents, I feel like their target audience is first-time home buyers, so probably people in their mid-20s to 30s. 55 is old enough to be many of those people's parents.

• Love 13

Today, I saw one of the most disgusting commercials of all time.  Someone thought a good idea to sell baby cold products was to show babies projectile sneezing and snot bubbles and all that stuff.  GODDAMMIT, AD PEOPLE, I'M TRYING TO EAT HERE!!!

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Based on the premise that buying home insurance will turn you into your parents, I feel like their target audience is first-time home buyers, so probably people in their mid-20s to 30s. 55 is old enough to be many of those people's parents.

This is true, however my hubby was into that stuff when he was young, lol!!!!  And we all do have moments when we realize we are probably turning into our parents, too!

• Love 6

Someone else reminded me about which one I find absolutely creepy.   The Hyundai Elantra commercial where the dog buries the car keys, and everything else the couple owns has an actor that looks a lot like Paul (or Pol) of Paul & Karine on 90 Day Fiance.     It totally creeps me out, and I have to change the channel when it comes on.  

Of course, they've played that commercial several time in the last hour.    

The actor in the Hyundai commercial is Ryan Eggold.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Someone else reminded me about which one I find absolutely creepy.   The Hyundai Elantra commercial where the dog buries the car keys, and everything else the couple owns has an actor that looks a lot like Paul (or Pol) of Paul & Karine on 90 Day Fiance.     It totally creeps me out, and I have to change the channel when it comes on.

I've never seen 90 Day Fiancé, but that commercial bothers me, too, because they apparently drive off leaving the dog loose out front - no fence, no long line, nothing.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never seen 90 Day Fiancé, but that commercial bothers me, too, because they apparently drive off leaving the dog loose out front - no fence, no long line, nothing.

When I see stuff like that I have to talk to myself:  "It is just a commercial.  It is just a commercial."

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I hate all of the Popeye's chicken commercials, but I especially hate the one with the old dude sitting in the front seat of the car and making weird noises while he's eating that damn sandwich.

Why do they think people screaming is good advertising? It just makes me hate their product.

• Love 9
On 9/23/2020 at 10:10 PM, Gramto6 said:

New peeve here. The Bullet commercial showing bartenders flinging bottles and long pouring. The end line is "let's keep our bartenders barring"...  um no,. let's keep them "tending bar". 

I'm not sure if anyone replied to this already, but I just saw the commercial for the first time this evening. At first, it sounded like that, but the tag line shown on screen is "...let's keep our bartenders pouring."

• Love 6
On 10/9/2020 at 11:15 PM, Gramto6 said:

The only scent I use is Rose water which fades faster than I can get out of the house...

maybe you've gone nose blind to the scent. ok, even though that's a Fabreze line and I hate Fabreze, that really is a thing. It's part of the reason some people smell like they've been swimming in their perfume. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I'm not sure if anyone replied to this already, but I just saw the commercial for the first time this evening. At first, it sounded like that, but the tag line shown on screen is "...let's keep our bartenders pouring."

I have a smaller screen so often I don't see those tag lines (or ads on the screen). That does make more sense though.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

maybe you've gone nose blind to the scent. ok, even though that's a Fabreze line and I hate Fabreze, that really is a thing. It's part of the reason some people smell like they've been swimming in their perfume. 

I just spritz a bit on my hair and arms...it is not potent at all. I used to use Ombre Rose perfume, back in the day...now that stuff was potent!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I really the hate the one where the guy is putting gas in his motorcycle tank like a bartender. 😬

• Love 4

I am going to go buy three cases of bottled water just to spite Brita.

Ok so not really, even though I do use bottled water, but the ad I just saw for them was apparently supposed to be cute, and was the polar opposite of that.

Small moppet is pushing, on a dirty supermarket floor, a case of water.  She stops at a shelf and STEPS ON THE CASE to grab a Brita pitcher off the top shelf.  THEN SHE WALKS AWAY AND LEAVES THE CASE ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF THE SHELF.

I hate all of the words I just typed out.  

• LOL 12
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Small moppet is pushing, on a dirty supermarket floor, a case of water.  She stops at a shelf and STEPS ON THE CASE to grab a Brita pitcher off the top shelf.  THEN SHE WALKS AWAY AND LEAVES THE CASE ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF THE SHELF.

I wonder how many people notice the little things in a commercial, obviously the commercial directors don't notice, don't think others notice or don't care.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I wonder how many people notice the little things in a commercial, obviously the commercial directors don't notice, don't think others notice or don't care.

Oh, they know they just have no respect for our intelligence.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Maybe these people are the same people who leave shit in random places throughout stores so it's not that they missed it, it's that they don't think it's a problem.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I just noticed in the Progressive volley ball commercial Doug is drawing his plan in the sand and it is a happy face he draws!  Limu buries his head in the sand maybe from embarrassment??

Not Progressive, Liberty Mutual. LiMu.  🙂

• Love 4

Every time I see the see the stupid Buick commercial where the guy says it’s not a Buick but an Alexa, I want to kick his idiot ass.  If I were the woman in the car with him, I’d slap him in the head, tell him to pull over and dump his sorry ass.  Men like that don’t deserve intelligent women. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not Progressive, Liberty Mutual. LiMu.  🙂

Oops, my bad. I've seen it so much I should have remembered...on the other hand don't need to waste  brain cells storing that info!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I hate the Allstate ad with the woman rolling out of bed and continuing to roll as if she were trapped in a growing cartoon avalanche snowball.

I want her to roll down the hill into a speeding bus, and it stops just in time to keep from smashing her. 

Oh hell, it can smash her. 😈 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

Why do all cell phone commercials have to use annoying music/songs?  The latest one for Galaxy (?) that wants to "light it up like dynomite" is incredibly annoying.  

Also, the Occulus commercial with the "Finger on the Button" song makes me want to push someone's button.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1