Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If we're gonna veer off into horsiness, look no further than Sarah Jessica Parker. I never understood what was supposed to be so special about her. Julia Roberts, I kind of understand - I think her personality fills in the beauty gaps - but I don't believe SJP has any redeeming qualities.

When she was younger, she had a more "girl next door" look.  Now that she's older, she's extremely harsh and angular.  Don't know if it's bad plastic surgery, or what.

• Love 5
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, funky-rat said:

But they are so good.......so very good.  Same with the Reese's that have the crumbled up chocolate cookie inside.

I find that putting things into the Reese's big cup reduces the amount of peanut butter filling, and that is sacrilege to me.

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, backformore said:

This commercial bugs the hell out of me.   

It's funny for older women to be admiring a young man's physical assets.   

What if the genders were reversed?  a bunch of old guys give a young women a tight sweater, then drool over her doing yard work? 

Eh, I find it amusing.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I find that putting things into the Reese's big cup reduces the amount of peanut butter filling, and that is sacrilege to me.

Normally, I would agree, but there is a good amount of PB filling in them.  : )

• Love 1
On 9/9/2018 at 1:55 AM, Silver Raven said:

I just saw her new movie, Peppermint, where she plays a soccer mom who gets revenge on a drug cartel after they gun down her husband and daughter.

Was it any good?  I love a good action movie but the ads seemed a little too John Wicky to me.

I haven't seen the ad yet, but my mom warned me that it's out there.  Months ago, I complained to her that I heard a radio ad for toilet paper talking about having "a shiny hiney."  She didn't believe me until she recently saw a TV ad where a baby bear was talking about having a "clean hiney."  

Really?  This is what we've come to?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Was it any good?  I love a good action movie but the ads seemed a little too John Wicky to me.

I haven't seen the ad yet, but my mom warned me that it's out there.  Months ago, I complained to her that I heard a radio ad for toilet paper talking about having "a shiny hiney."  She didn't believe me until she recently saw a TV ad where a baby bear was talking about having a "clean hiney."  

Really?  This is what we've come to?

I know this was not directed at me but I just saw it last weekend as well.  It was one of those movies that was good if you did not think too much about it.  However, once you start to think about it, it turns into a mediocre movie.  Though I will say that Jennifer Garner did a good job (though my opinion here might be bias here because I have a tad crush on her) and it took me back to her Alias days and that is a good thing.

Back on topic, the commercial I really hate right now is the Salmon Sisters commercial.  It is played like forty million times a day and it is on during shows of different genre's.  One could see it during a WWE commercial break and then one could see it on a commercial break for Snowfall.  I am just sick of it, I hate the sound of the sister's voices and the cutesy music that accompanies the commercial.  

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, BK1978 said:

Back on topic, the commercial I really hate right now is the Salmon Sisters commercial.  It is played like forty million times a day and it is on during shows of different genre's.  One could see it during a WWE commercial break and then one could see it on a commercial break for Snowfall.  I am just sick of it, I hate the sound of the sister's voices and the cutesy music that accompanies the commercial.  

I get the Salmon Sisters ad a lot on phone-based games, which I’m inevitably playing with the sound off. It’s surprisingly tolerable when muted. (Of course, an ad for anything other than other phone-based games is usually a delightful change, which probably helps.)

• Love 2

I cringe at the Red Baron pizza ad featuring two over-perky women patting themselves on the back and expecting "prizes" for things many parents achieve daily without recognition.

The worst thing is that one woman apparently deserves a medal because her family ate their whole meal.  It's a pizza, for goodness sake.   Not exactly rocket science that pizza is pretty much the best bet for something everyone will happily eat.  And I bet they still left the crusts.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, Brookside said:

The worst thing is that one woman apparently deserves a medal because her family ate their whole meal.  It's a pizza, for goodness sake.   Not exactly rocket science that pizza is pretty much the best bet for something everyone will happily eat.  And I bet they still left the crusts.

I would think that "whole meal" would include the crusts. The pizza may have been too small to let anything go to waste.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I cringe at the Red Baron pizza ad featuring two over-perky women patting themselves on the back and expecting "prizes" for things many parents achieve daily without recognition.

I hate that concept too:  My family ATE!  Wow - let's hold a parade.  Frozen pizza, alone, is nothing to brag about.  And the other woman bragging she is wearing a sock that had spilled milk on it....gross.  I bet it has all kinds of smells.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:37 PM, Kelloggirl said:

Safe Auto: That's a muting.

Political Ads: That's a muting.

Wal-Mart "I Like Bread and Butter": Oh you better believe that's a muting!

Flo Jamie from Progressive:  muting.

ASPCA:  muting

Marie Osmond for Nutri Systems?  MUTING!!!!

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Marie Osmond. Good lord, yes. I remember when those started inundating the commercial timeslots right after New Year's 2017. As the months went on, I kept hoping they would back off in airing them so frequently now that people weren't working on resolutions any more. Here we are nearly two years later and she is still schilling her fake food in her stupid red dress with her stupid shrill chirpy voice. Gah.

Okay, I feel a bit better now.

• Love 9

I hate that concept too:  My family ATE!  Wow - let's hold a parade.  Frozen pizza, alone, is nothing to brag about.  And the other woman bragging she is wearing a sock that had spilled milk on it....gross.  I bet it has all kinds of smells.

Yeah, I posted about this not too long ago. It's a dumb commercial and it needs to go away now or as God as my witness, I'll never buy another Red Baron pizza again.

• Love 4

I hate the Dietz ham commercials with Andy Roddick and his wife, Brooklyn Decker.  The way she shouts "Andy Andy Andy!" makes me reach for the mute button.  I guess they're supposed to be another "cute couple," I guess like John Legend and Chrissy Tiegen, but I cannot stand either couple. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Marie Osmond. Good lord, yes. I remember when those started inundating the commercial timeslots right after New Year's 2017. As the months went on, I kept hoping they would back off in airing them so frequently now that people weren't working on resolutions any more. Here we are nearly two years later and she is still schilling her fake food in her stupid red dress with her stupid shrill chirpy voice. Gah.

Okay, I feel a bit better now.

I like the Osmonds, I do.  Wonderful family, great entertainers.  But Marie - ask Nutrisysytem to get a new ad campaign!!!!  "BYE BYE BELLY FAT!!!"  It is ALWAYS on, too!!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I like the Osmonds, I do.  Wonderful family, great entertainers.  But Marie - ask Nutrisysytem to get a new ad campaign!!!!  "BYE BYE BELLY FAT!!!"  It is ALWAYS on, too!!!

Agreed.  I'm not huge on their music, but Donnie in particular is big in to giving his time, and I think that's great - I appreciate anyone who gives their time.  I am acquainted with someone who spent a ton of time in the hospital as a child, starting in the late 70's, and Donnie came to visit her many times (and the other kids).  She has photos from over the years of them together.  He took the time to keep up with her too as time went on, and that's just cool to me.

• Love 6

I am sooo annoyed by the Tel Aviv / Jerusalem tourism commercial which uses the old Bobby Hebb song "Sunny" . Totally horrible techno-dance rendition, nonsensically edited, makes no sense at all. All I can do is hope that his estate benefits somehow. I did notice that a little of the original is used in an "Indeed" employment agency commercial.

On the other hand, there is a credit card commercial which features Serena Williams and the old song "I Put A Spell On You" which actually works. The vocal is not as  good as the original, but pretty close. 

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Agreed.  I'm not huge on their music, but Donnie in particular is big in to giving his time, and I think that's great - I appreciate anyone who gives their time.  I am acquainted with someone who spent a ton of time in the hospital as a child, starting in the late 70's, and Donnie came to visit her many times (and the other kids).  She has photos from over the years of them together.  He took the time to keep up with her too as time went on, and that's just cool to me.

Not to go off topic, but that family has been in show business for 50 plus years, all successful, and they all still talk to each other!!!  Not bad!!!  But enough with the Nutri System, Marie.  Plus I have heard in real life Marie tells jokes that would make a sailor blush....so props for that, lolol!!!

• Love 6

What started out as a rather scathing indictment of teens  tuning out the outside world for 'virtual reality' including a drone in the house, wound up yet another Flo-plagued Progressive AD! UGH!!

Congrats, Progressive- you all actually created and have shoved down our throats something that would make even a 20th Century person like me PREFER to exist in a 'virtual reality' cocoon ! 

Admit you all made a horrible mistake with this concoction that the bulk of folks are SICK of, cut your losses and pay off the performer, then do something else for a marketing campaign!

BOO!

• Love 7

I am sooo annoyed by the Tel Aviv / Jerusalem tourism commercial which uses the old Bobby Hebb song "Sunny" . Totally horrible techno-dance rendition, nonsensically edited, makes no sense at all. All I can do is hope that his estate benefits somehow. I did notice that a little of the original is used in an "Indeed" employment agency commercial.

I've been seeing this one a lot. At first I thought it was a commercial for some cruise line.

• Love 6

This commercial for Murad may be limited to niche cable channels like Cozi or MeTV but I've been seeing it repeatedly and it wigs me out. The ad alleges to show people's faces in ultra-violet light and it turns them into clay-faced, cracked and spotted looking zombie heads. Disturbing as all get-out. Interestingly, they do not show "after" photos in ultra-violet light which leads me to believe you look that way under that lighting no matter what kind of skin cream you use.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I hate the Dietz ham commercials with Andy Roddick and his wife, Brooklyn Decker.  The way she shouts "Andy Andy Andy!" makes me reach for the mute button.  I guess they're supposed to be another "cute couple," I guess like John Legend and Chrissy Tiegen, but I cannot stand either couple. 

I literally had no idea who that was.  Still not entirely sure.  Is Andy Roddick a tennis player?

Edited to note that there's a Google phone commercial in which I find John Legend's reaction to Chrissy Tiegen wanting to watch all Channing Tatum movies amusing, but otherwise I don't like them either.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

What started out as a rather scathing indictment of teens  tuning out the outside world for 'virtual reality' including a drone in the house, wound up yet another Flo-plagued Progressive AD! UGH!!

Congrats, Progressive- you all actually created and have shoved down our throats something that would make even a 20th Century person like me PREFER to exist in a 'virtual reality' cocoon ! 

Admit you all made a horrible mistake with this concoction that the bulk of folks are SICK of, cut your losses and pay off the performer, then do something else for a marketing campaign!

BOO!

Clearly the marketing campaign works, or they would dump it.  A lot of people (including myself) like most of those commercials.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Is Andy Roddick a tennis player?

Yes.  I haven't seen the commercial, and had no idea they were married, but Andy Roddick is a tennis player and Brooklyn Decker is an actor; she plays Mallory on Grace & Frankie.

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes.  I haven't seen the commercial, and had no idea they were married, but Andy Roddick is a tennis player and Brooklyn Decker is an actor; she plays Mallory on Grace & Frankie.

Thanks.  His name was familiar, but I wouldn't recognize him if you hit me over the head with him.

18 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Flo Jamie from Progressive:  muting.

ASPCA:  muting

I have a great deal of compassion for sick children and abused animals but those ASPCA commercials and St. Jude's are on for about 5 minutes.  Recently I looked after a loved one who had knee replacement surgery, and those ASPCA commercials were on heavy rotation.  One would start, something like, "It was an extremely hot day as we drove up the long road..." and go on to tell about some neglected/abused dogs on a ranch or something.  Anyway, whenever I heard that, "It was an extremely hot day..." it was my cue to jump up and help my patient get dressed, get in the shower, or some other task that took a long time.

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Clearly the marketing campaign works, or they would dump it.  A lot of people (including myself) like most of those commercials.

OR it could be that the Flo's a GIGANTIC write off for Progressive with only a tiny number of folks out there outside the performer's immediate, dependent family who can stand her. Anyway, this is the 'Commercials that Annoy, Irritate or Outrage' subsection so feel free to give your kudos re Flo in the 'Favorite Commercials' one.I WON'T go there!

Edited by Blergh
thread correction
  • Love 4
On 9/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, Brattinella said:

Okay, if everyone here would just buy a fricking Peloton, they MIGHT stop with their damn commercials!!  The original ad was bad enough, but the 'music' on the new one drives me up the wall!

I'd assist in this effort, because I would LOVE a Peloton.  But man, are they expensive!

• Love 5

Apologies if I've missed a recent previous post on this, but the (non GMO) Triscuit ad with the moronic woman trying to pronounce the word is seemingly on every ten minutes and is driving me insane.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

The acting In the liberty commercial with the “that’s my robe” lady is terrible. She’s just reciting her lines without any actual acting. Is she the producer’s daughter or something? Surely there’s more talented actors out there. 

Maybe it's supposed to be terrible acting on purpose in order to give the impression that they aren't actors?

Or maybe they aren't actors. Maybe they thought having people off the street reading cue cards would make it more believable? —and save money

Same with those horrible PhotoShopped Plexiderm commercials.
[Read with a flat intonation] "We. Were. Screaming."

• Love 5

I, too, have a Zero Tolerance policy for certain Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage. However; what I'd REALLY like is a 'Boo' Button on my remote that would automatically replace the dialogue of the infuriating ads with a nonstop 'BOO!' track- and send it straight to the board rooms of the companies that had APPROVED said commercials. I'll let everyone here work out who my 'usual suspects' could be!

• Love 13

I'm placing this commercial on this thread cautiously, because, I'm not positive, it says what I think it says.  Maybe, you all can give me your interpretation.  If I'm off, I'll delete it.  

It's a Revlon lipstick commercial and has a catchy little jingle, except that it sounds to me like they bleep out the F word.  I'm not a huge anti F word person, but, I was just surprised that Revlon, such a large and well known company, feels the need to use that kind of thing in their tv ads.  It's played a lot on tv and every time I hear it, it just annoys me.  I just don't see why it was needed and if it's a mistake, they should fix it. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm placing this commercial on this thread cautiously, because, I'm not positive, it says what I think it says.  Maybe, you all can give me your interpretation.  If I'm off, I'll delete it.  

It's a Revlon lipstick commercial and has a catchy little jingle, except that it sounds to me like they bleep out the F word.  I'm not a huge anti F word person, but, I was just surprised that Revlon, such a large and well known company, feels the need to use that kind of thing in their tv ads.  It's played a lot on tv and every time I hear it, it just annoys me.  I just don't see why it was needed and if it's a mistake, they should fix it. 

Fun fact. Ted Nugent's brother is the former president and CEO of Revlon. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, they eliminate the f-word. The song is from Dua Lipa, called "Blow Your Mind (Mwah)"

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I, too, have a Zero Tolerance policy for certain Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage. However; what I'd REALLY like is a 'Boo' Button on my remote that would automatically replace the dialogue of the infuriating ads with a nonstop 'BOO!' track- and send it straight to the board rooms of the companies that had APPROVED said commercials. I'll let everyone here work out who my 'usual suspects' could be!

What an absolutely FABULOUS idea!  I would invest in that device!

• Love 13

I cannot stop complaining about the Nugenix commercials! The just irritate me so much. Everything about them irritates me. Now "the big hurt" leers at a woman while telling her man, "she'll like it too!" Every time I hear this, I do in my best Irish brogue (actually, my best is pretty terrible) I repeat, "I'll like it too!" a la the ancient Irish Spring commercials.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

Apologies if I've missed a recent previous post on this, but the (non GMO) Triscuit ad with the moronic woman trying to pronounce the word is seemingly on every ten minutes and is driving me insane.

Even worse than the ridiculous words she uses is the really annoying nasal voice.

• Love 6

It has come to my attention that most every commercial irritates, annoys or aggravates almost all of us to some degree. That explains why I keep my remote on the arm of my recliner so that I can immediately mute ALL commercials as soon as they come on my TV. So, big ad agencies and big network gurus— your advertising minutes that you sell for huge dollars are a big waste of time because even if we do notice them, we don’t like them. Therefore, we don’t buy your products. 

• Love 11

Man, there is just no end to the stupid Chevy commercials.  Just saw one now that I think must be a newer example - the beardy dweeb and his selection of dumb real people are standing out in some desert watching a bunch of trucks drive towards them across the dunes while Beardy McDweeb asks them questions about which truck won what award or something and as the dopes call out wrong answers such as "Ford" the wrong answer trucks peel away from the approaching phalanx so that eventually only the 3 Chevy trucks are still coming toward them.  The ad ends like that, but in my fantasy imagination the 3 Chevy trucks continue driving toward the group of idiots and actually plow right through them all...

These ads are so fucking stupid it's beyond belief.  Seriously, they might as well just have created about 20 different commercials with Beardy McDweeb doing nothing but standing there literally telling his group of imbeciles they should buy Chevy trucks cuz they're good.  That's essentially what the ads consist of.  Chevy trucks are good.  Buy one.  

• Love 20