Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

There's a new iPhone ad where the two employees of an iPhone store are talking about all of the great things you can see on your iPhone, the best of entertainment.  And the guy says to the woman, "Including the video of you at the office party." And she says, "You mean the one where I was making out with Sandra? You were supposed to delete that." And he says, "No, that's the best of entertainment."

So, in 2018, two women kissing is a source of amusement?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's a new iPhone ad where the two employees of an iPhone store are talking about all of the great things you can see on your iPhone, the best of entertainment.  And the guy says to the woman, "Including the video of you at the office party." And she says, "You mean the one where I was making out with Sandra? You were supposed to delete that." And he says, "No, that's the best of entertainment."

So, in 2018, two women kissing is a source of amusement?

This commercial just aired, and she says "Santa," not "Sandra."  (There's something after that about the North Pole, so it's definitely Santa.)

• Love 4

There's a Pizza Hut commercial where two asshole parents are teaching their daughter to be one of those asshole sport fans. As the asshole kid screeches in rage and tears a Pizza Hut pizza box, the asshole parents high-five each other.

And I hate the condescending Alexa commercial with the dad taking care of his kids, mostly because of Alexa's message from the wife, "You're doing great," as though fathers are incompetent.

• Love 13
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, Brattinella said:

Geez, we like old shows but we can still make it to the bathroom in time!

You have to realize, anyone who watches those old shows already has one foot in the grave (the other in a law court suing somebody), according to the advertisers.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

"And thanks to Plexaderm I can't smile any longer."

Who needs to smile?  I just want to be able to frown - in between screaming obscenities at my TeeVee.

1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

You have to realize, anyone who watches those old shows already have one foot in the grave (the other in a law court suing somebody), according to the advertisers.

With a Life Alert necklace, for when we've fallen, and can't get up.

• Love 7

I hate hate hate the most recent batch of Proactiv commercials.  After the last batch aired, I was hoping they'd switch to new people, as I had grown tired of Nicolette and her passionate love affair with her charcoal cleansing brush.  Now she's back, and in addition, we're treated to Blake age 17 (or whatever the hell his name is) who has to tell us that thanks to Proactive "Uh got uh girlfriend.  Look, there she is!" (show cell phone video of a girl standing in the distance who never turns around - I'm betting it's a cardboard cutout).  Then we get the even bigger treat of hearing from his mommy.  Yippee.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Who needs to smile?  I just want to be able to frown - in between screaming obscenities at my TeeVee.

With a Life Alert necklace, for when we've fallen, and can't get up.

At least we can afford a doctor now that we've reverse mortgaged our homes because we spent our life savings on putting our parents in luxury retirement homes.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

You have to realize, anyone who watches those old shows already has one foot in the grave (the other in a law court suing somebody), according to the advertisers.

There was one of those screaming late-night ambulance chasing spots with a serious voice intoning "If you or a family member have experienced death or serious illness, call 800-xxxxxx".

Mr. pig and I so wanted to race to the phone to dial the number and say in innocent old person voices "Hello.  We saw your commercial.  My husband/wife and I recently experienced death and..."

(eyeroll x infinity)

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

"Hello. We recently saw your commercial.  Brains...."

Return of the Living Dead or The Walking Dead?  We are zombie freaks.  

In a lot of ways commercials are far more entertaining to mock than network programming.  How else would we learn about curvature "down there", ants running all over our bodies, and stop smoking advice from Ray Liota (they have to keep posting his name because he's barely recognizable).  I love this crap.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We are but I don't see why they should be considered exceptional. If you live somewhere it's on you to take care of it regardless of gender.

Exactly; you don't get a cookie for doing what you're supposed to do (and certainly no cookies for the ones doing about 35% of what should be their equal share, and wanting props because, well, hey, most dudes do even less).  It's why, while, yeah, it's nice to see men doing the chore at hand in a few cleaning product commercials, first, obviously, that should not be so rare, and second, the few times we do see it, they should not almost always be the only adult in the commercial.  Because that raises the implication men only have to keep their kids in clean clothes when Mom isn't around to do it.  No.  Start mixing in some commercials where while Dad is folding towels and talking about how great the detergent is, we see Mom in the background.  Heading in/out from errands, watering the yard, taking a break to watch a game on TV, whatever.  No storyline, just a visual acknowledgment that with two people to divide up all the shit that needs to be done, you make those decisions based on things like who hates the chore less, not who has what chromosome combination.

Because now when we get a man and a woman in these commercials, either she's joyfully cleaning up the mess he and the kids made - because women who love their families love taking care of them - or she's fixing his bungled attempt at cooking/cleaning/laundry - because those are things to which women are inherently suited, and men just aren't made to waste their precious time and superior skills on.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Does anyone else object to zit removal, toenail fungus, quit smoking, etc., commercials being shown during "dinner/supper hour"?  I have to switch the channel & I have a strong stomach!!!

Eh, you aren't going to bitch about all the ads for prescription drugs with all those SUPER GROOVY side effects which may include, Death, barfing, puking, vomiting, pissing your pants, shitting your pants, pissing AND shitting your pants simultaneously, breath that smells like you eat shit three times a day, acne, uncontrolled sweating, BO? 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Does anyone else object to zit removal, toenail fungus, quit smoking, etc., commercials being shown during "dinner/supper hour"?  I have to switch the channel & I have a strong stomach!!!

Oh puleeze!!!  I have to squeeze my eyes shut, stick my fingers in my ears and go "lalalalalalala".  What marketing idiots think this is a good idea?

• Love 6

Two reminders:

1. As we hit election season, do not discuss politics anywhere on PTV. No political ads or no mentions of politics. Posts will be removed and warnings potentially handed out.
  2. If you see a post that has politics or in anyway violates the posting guidelines, please report it--do not engage or mod the forum. 

Thank you

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Start mixing in some commercials where while Dad is folding towels and talking about how great the detergent is, we see Mom in the background. 

Mom is eating yogurt in her she shed.

• Love 12
On 9/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, spiderpig said:

I appreciate your point.  Women do statistically outlive men, but the whole tone of the commercial is that the poor little woman who probably worked and probably raised a family like dad is depicted as a pitiable entity who needs to be warehoused.  And Joan Lunden's condescending delivery makes me all stabby.

I hope your mom never has dementia, or Alzheimers.  Sometimes those afflictions are just too much for the family to handle, and a care facility is necessary.  It's not an easy decision and using terminology that accuses the family of warehousing their mother is not helpful.

• Love 20
13 hours ago, ShutUpLutz said:

SUPER GROOVY side effects

My favorite is for Latisse, which used to be advertised frequently on the TV, it is an ointment you apply to your eyelashes/lids to have thicker lashes (is that a real problem?).  Now there are lawsuits alleging users of the product experienced symptoms including bumps on the eyes, flaky patches on the lids, burning, swelling, crusting, and pain, among other things. I'm still surprised that it doesn't cause death.  But at least the corpse will have thick full lashes.  Perhaps they can make Toppik for the lashes.

• Love 8

Subaru is showing the blind guy peninsula trail commercial again. I tend to like most of the Subaru commercials but this one is really annoying from the start when the girl asks "does this map show......the peninsula trail" to the folksy blind guy doing his hocus pocus. 

• Love 9
On 9/23/2018 at 12:14 PM, walnutqueen said:

That Subaru Outback ad with the mystical old blind guy just bugs the ever-living shit out of me.  When he says "Take this left", I'm like "Yeah, turn left and right off a cliff into the ocean".  I'm a terrible person.

Yes!! Okay, maybe not to you're being a terrible person. But how the hell does the blind guy know where to turn?!? Is he one of those kind of but not really blind people like Stevie Wonder? (And no, I'm not demeaning Stevie Wonder or blind people, but it's been a "thing" on the Net the last few years that Wonder isn't really blind. He has said in interviews in the 1980's that he can see vague shadows and shapes, don't know if that has gotten worse over the years.

ANYWAY, back to the Subaru ad, am i the only one kinda grossed out by the young bearded guy, who looks like he hasn't bathed in five or six months.

• Love 3

"I'm Emma. I'm Claire. We're the Salmon sisters."

Gah, they make me miss the cute blogger girl who likes color.

And going waaaaay back to the Chick-fil-A post about the mom who couldn't get there on time. Like a few others mentioned, I didn't get the sense the kids were dragging their feet. It just sounded like a really rushed evening. I assumed the mom works later than 5 p.m., and by the time she picks the kids up/gets home/gets back out again, the family night was wrapping up. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, walnutqueen said:

That Subaru Outback ad with the mystical old blind guy just bugs the ever-living shit out of me

That ad always reminds me of the opening of an 80s horror movie. I expect the Suburu to wind up at Camp Crystal Lake and the blind guy wielding a chain saw.

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, ShutUpLutz said:

Yes!! Okay, maybe not to you're being a terrible person. But how the hell does the blind guy know where to turn?!? Is he one of those kind of but not really blind people like Stevie Wonder? (And no, I'm not demeaning Stevie Wonder or blind people, but it's been a "thing" on the Net the last few years that Wonder isn't really blind. He has said in interviews in the 1980's that he can see vague shadows and shapes, don't know if that has gotten worse over the years.

I used to have a blind neighbor, complete with a seeing-eye dog ("Pilot").  While in my car one day, I saw them in the distance as I was arriving home.  Without thinking, I waved at them.  HE WAVED BACK.  I sat in my garage and pondered that for awhile.

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I used to have a blind neighbor, complete with a seeing-eye dog ("Pilot").  While in my car one day, I saw them in the distance as I was arriving home.  Without thinking, I waved at them.  HE WAVED BACK.  I sat in my garage and pondered that for awhile.

Gimme a white cane, dark glasses, and a dog I can take to Walmart.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

That ad always reminds me of the opening of an 80s horror movie. I expect the Suburu to wind up at Camp Crystal Lake and the blind guy wielding a chain saw.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who though that especially when their in the woods together at night. I blame it on watching way too many horror movies as well as murder shows on ID Discovery. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

There's blind and then there's legally blind. Not that both aren't unpleasant.

Not to derail the thread, okay I'm semi-derailing it, so suspend or ban me, what are the differences between being legally blind and blind? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ShutUpLutz said:

what are the differences between being legally blind and blind? 

The U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) defines legal blindness as follows:

Reduced central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in your better eye with use of the best eyeglass lens to correct your eyesight; or...

Limitation of your field of view such that the widest diameter of the visual field in your better eye subtends an angle no greater than 20 degrees.

• Love 2
Just now, Tom Holmberg said:

The U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) defines legal blindness as follows:

Reduced central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in your better eye with use of the best eyeglass lens to correct your eyesight; or...

Limitation of your field of view such that the widest diameter of the visual field in your better eye subtends an angle no greater than 20 degrees.

Okay. Could you translate that to English? Like everything more than 6 inches away is a blur?

• Love 3

Normal vision is 20/20, which means you can clearly see an object 20 feet away. If you’re legally blind, your vision is 20/200 or less, which means if an object is 200 feet away, you have to stand 20 feet from it in order to see it clearly. But a person with normal vision can stand 200 feet away and see that object clearly. 

A  visual field of 180 degrees is considered normal

• Love 7