Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, ShutUpLutz said:

There was an ad for Pediasure a few years ago showing this kid shoving a FULL PLATE OF SCRUMPTIOUS DELICIOUS FOOD INCLUDING SOME KIND OF MEAT away from him and shaking his head like , "No, mommy, it's gross." Now, does mommy make him sit there until he at least tries one bit of everything? FUCK and NO. Does she chastise him in any way, shape or manner? Seriously, don't you know that all children these days are angelic pwecious unique snowfwakes whose every whim and desire must be indulged including being allowed to act like a brat at the dinner table. Instead of acting like a good parent or someone with even an inch of actual spine, she rushes out to the pharmacy or wherever the hell you get Pediasure from and suddenly everything is super-dee-dooper. How about you learn how to cook, lady.

I hate that ad for the reasons you said, and also for the fact that I would have killed for a plate of food like that when I was a kid. I hate brats in commercials. Apparently someone loves them, because they're everywhere. 

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's the theme employed in the commercial where the father is feeding a baby in a high chair and somehow the baby has managed to get his entire face and head covered with Spaghettios. The father steps out to find something to clean him up with then when he returns the baby is clean, because the dog has licked him clean. And he's like "Great!"

First of all, what the hell was the father doing while the baby was covering himself with Spaghettios? Just sitting there watching? Did the baby just basically bend forward and eat out of the bowl like a dog while Dad just sat there and made no attempt at clean-up until after he was finished? 

Secondly, how clean is a baby really going to be after being licked all over by a dog? Not spotless, that's for sure. And shouldn't the baby's hair be wet? I'm amazed the dog didn't knock the high chair over. 

This man should not have been allowed to reproduce.

He was probably watching his phone. While his cute little cherub child fed himself by sticking his hands in the spaghettios and then getting it all over. Which is not cute. My doxie loved to lick the hands and faces of my twins (still does) if they've eaten something messy. But they're not clean. They're just not as messy. And it's bathtime after. Because dog drool. Yuck. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I hate that ad for the reasons you said, and also for the fact that I would have killed for a plate of food like that when I was a kid. I hate brats in commercials. Apparently someone loves them, because they're everywhere. 

He was probably watching his phone. While his cute little cherub child fed himself by sticking his hands in the spaghettios and then getting it all over. Which is not cute. My doxie loved to lick the hands and faces of my twins (still does) if they've eaten something messy. But they're not clean. They're just not as messy. And it's bathtime after. Because dog drool. Yuck. 

Off topic again. In my family on your birthday, you could choose whatever you wanted for dinner. Want to go to Chesapeake Bay Seafood House and order 12 shrimp cocktails, like my brother did 3 years in a row? Knock yourself out.

My taste in birthday meals was shall we say, NOT quite so highbrow. One year I said I wanted cream chipped beef on toast. My brother WAS NOT PLEASED.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, ShutUpLutz said:

Off topic again. In my family on your birthday, you could choose whatever you wanted for dinner. Want to go to Chesapeake Bay Seafood House and order 12 shrimp cocktails, like my brother did 3 years in a row? Knock yourself out.

My taste in birthday meals was shall we say, NOT quite so highbrow. One year I said I wanted cream chipped beef on toast. My brother WAS NOT PLEASED.

Taking this to small talk. 

• Love 1

I don't like the commercial for Arco where the driver at the Arco station thinks the passenger is just using the expression "the cat is out of the bag," only to have an orange cat in the back seat actually climb out of an open bag and jump out a window that was rolled down at least halfway.  The driver says, "Not again" and as they go after the cat, the passenger reminds her that she told her she needed a carrier.  This implies that they had somehow managed to recover the cat safely after a similar nightmarish situation, but the driver hadn't at least learned to leave the window up!  I think this commercial resulted in at least one nightmare about my cat escaping from a car somewhere. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

It's widely known that women can get plastic surgery on their breasts. There's also labiaplasty for an "imperfect" vulva. Yes, really. I hate that I know this surgery exists. (ETA: I didn't mean for that to sound salty; I know you mean a medication/”fix" for uneven breasts and unfortunate vulvar proportions.) 

I just looked up the medication for Peyronie's disease (note to self: scrub browser history). It's injected into the plaque that causes the curvature. The patient also has to perform "stretching and straightening activities on [his] penis for six weeks" for a few minutes a day after each treatment cycle.

Y'all...this picture from the medication website:

Screenshot_20180926-202238_crop_542x393.png.ee1fc21eccc18126c3bc81a73d73adfd.png

YOU'RE WELCOME, EVERYONE.

One thing ( I know) that irked me during this commercial was the constant reminder at the bottom of the screen that this is an actor portrayal. Most any other commercial would have a one time two second notice. Childish that we might think for one moment that this guy really has this condition.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Reality police said:

One thing ( I know) that irked me during this commercial was the constant reminder at the bottom of the screen that this is an actor portrayal. Most any other commercial would have a one time two second notice. Childish that we might think for one moment that this guy really has this condition.

Maybe they meant actor portrayal for the couch, and the couch really doesn't have that condition either.  :)

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Reality police said:

That is a commercial trend I've noticed in the last couple years that annoys the crap out of me. I'm guessing it's used for the same reason you see "do not use in water" warnings on blow dryers.

Edited by iHateAmpersands
  • Love 4

The Deal Dash.com commercial with the woman whose wig came straight from a pop-up Halloween store can go away right this very minute! I swear it's been airing since Ross and Rachel were on a break.

Edited by mmecorday
shenanigans
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My parents tried making me eat scrapple one time. I said I was gonna throw up. They made me eat it anyway. I threw up. 

That's a delicacy where I live, but it has to be done right.  I only buy from certain butchers, and make sure the make-up is mostly meat, and not so much filler.  It also has to be prepared right.  I like it sliced thin, and fried crispy.  I can't stand it when people dump maple syrup on it (huurrrlllll).  NEVER eat any that came from a grocery store.  Just....don't.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

That's a delicacy where I live, but it has to be done right.  I only buy from certain butchers, and make sure the make-up is mostly meat, and not so much filler.  It also has to be prepared right.  I like it sliced thin, and fried crispy.  I can't stand it when people dump maple syrup on it (huurrrlllll).  NEVER eat any that came from a grocery store.  Just....don't.

Well it didn't help that when I asked what the heck it was, my dad replied "floor sweepings from the slaughter house."

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Well it didn't help that when I asked what the heck it was, my dad replied "floor sweepings from the slaughter house."

LOL!  Good scrapple is 90% meat that you can't put in to anything else - meat from the legs, the head (not brains or eyes, but actual meat), etc, and the rest is filler (oat or corn meal), and finely ground organ meat (liver, etc).  I don't doubt that there are people who put in other stuff, but that's why I'm super fussy about who I get it from.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I don't think he is handsome at all, but I'm sure he was cast as Generically Handsome White Guy with Two-Day Scruff That He's Too Busy to Shave Because He's Going to Turn This Damn Hospital Around.

Let's not forget "dying of cancer".

• Love 5
4 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

That is a commercial trend I've noticed in the last couple years that annoys the crap out of me. I'm guessing it's used for the same reason you see "do not use in water" warnings on blow dryers.

The bolded part reminds me-one time, when my family was staying in a hotel, my mom was looking at the coffee pot, and noticed there was an instruction on it that actually said, "Do not hold over people's heads."

Yep. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Do not hold over people's heads."

My favorite silly disclaimer comes from a Starbucks Frappuccino ad, which showed a picture of a frosty-cold, whipped-cream-topped blended drink, and then reminded you to always wear a helmet  

Yes, there was a Vespa scooter parked somewhere off in the background, but plenty of ads for things show cars without reminding viewers to wear seatbelts, so in my head the helmet was meant to prevent brain freeze, somehow. 

• Love 6

I can't stand any of those Ryan Reynolds Toon Blast commercials that seem to play before every damn video on YouTube.

20 hours ago, ShutUpLutz said:

That was my favorite restaurant growing up, and I was so sad when they all closed.

9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Maybe they meant actor portrayal for the couch, and the couch really doesn't have that condition either.  :)

Reminds me of the play & movie of The Boys in the Band in the late 60s. "None of the actors are gay."  Sure. I always figured they had to say that because if they said, "Two of the actors are gay, the rest are straight," there'd be a kerfuffle over which two were the gay guys and completely distsract from the message of the play. And, jeez, whose business was it, anyway? They're ACTORS. 

But it was the late 60s. Things were much different then. I couldn't even get a credit card because I was a single woman still living with my parents.

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, chessiegal said:

My husband, whose almost 70, has always done the laundry. I would never attempt to fold his clothes - he is very picky about how his clothes are folded. Me, not so much.

I went to my building laundry room one night and a fellow tenant (guy)  had washed about 200 t-shirts and was folding them all just-so with one of those flip-fold things, took him like forever 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, xls said:

I went to my building laundry room one night and a fellow tenant (guy)  had washed about 200 t-shirts and was folding them all just-so with one of those flip-fold things, took him like forever 

Wow. My husband can fold t-shirts perfectly without one of those. Being a cadet at A&M and the Air Force taught him well. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, funky-rat said:

LOL!  Good scrapple is 90% meat that you can't put in to anything else - meat from the legs, the head (not brains or eyes, but actual meat), etc, and the rest is filler (oat or corn meal), and finely ground organ meat (liver, etc).  I don't doubt that there are people who put in other stuff, but that's why I'm super fussy about who I get it from.

Oy vey! Part of me is actually grateful that if animals are to be killed for food, no part of that innocent creature is being wasted. The other part of me is saying "blllaaaarrrggghhhh!"

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oy vey! Part of me is actually grateful that if animals are to be killed for food, no part of that innocent creature is being wasted. The other part of me is saying "blllaaaarrrggghhhh!"

12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Scrapple is well named.  It's scrap meat which can't be used in other ways.

It's the old PA Dutch way - waste not, want not.  It's really not bad at all, but you have to get it that it's made correctly.  I've gone through many a hog butchering over the years, and have helped make it.  You cook it in a cast iron kettle all day until it's ready, and then you form it in to loaves while it's liquid, and then it sets, where you can then slice it and fry it.  Once on "Dirty Jobs", they showed a company in Delaware that was making scrapple, and it looked like vomit.  Anyone I knew that watched it was all "WTF??".  And yes, sitting and picking off the meat from the head and other areas is tedious, but you use it all, and waste nothing.  Plus it's cheap to make.

As for the most recent annoyance......Entresto.  I know it's medication, and the biggest annoyance is music, but I hate it with the power of 1000 suns, so I'm putting it here.  It starts out with "What does help for heart failure look like?".  Then it shows a beating heart and says "Emily, cooking dinner for ten".   Then it shows the same danged footage, but says "Jonathan, on a date with his wife" - they just switch the background from pink for Emily to Blue for Jonathan.  The voice over person has an annoying voice, and to make matters worse, they use "The Beat Goes On" as the music.  That's a long I actually really like, but they changed the beat, from the syncopated way the original version is to some bluesy/jazzy thing, which just ruins the whole thing for me.  The whole point of the song is "Time Marches On" and the syncopated beat really hammers that home - sounds like a ticking clock.  Changing it to a jazz/blues thing just sounds stupid.  They should have just picked a different song.  Blergh.  I'll shut up now.

• Love 6
On 9/26/2018 at 3:05 PM, Red Bridey said:

Umm, on topic?  I am still confused by the Salmon Sisters.  Who are they?  What do they do?  Are they deep sea anglers?  Are they artists?  What does that have to do with whatever tablet they schill?  Can anyone explain?  I get annoyed by these commercials that expect us to know these people.

You and me both.  I have no idea who they are or why they appear to be "famous".  From one of their drawings, I thought maybe they make clothes for fish, but other than that, I don't have a clue.

• Love 8
On 9/26/2018 at 4:47 PM, iMonrey said:

That's the theme employed in the commercial where the father is feeding a baby in a high chair and somehow the baby has managed to get his entire face and head covered with Spaghettios. The father steps out to find something to clean him up with then when he returns the baby is clean, because the dog has licked him clean. And he's like "Great!"

I love that commercial!

On 9/26/2018 at 4:57 PM, ShutUpLutz said:

You'd be surprised how long dogs will lick something to get EVERY LAST BIT OF LUSCIOUS SCRUMPTIOUSNESS!!!! off/out of the bowl/face.

I've mentioned elsewhere that we have gotten a frozen yogurt treat for the girlfriend's dog.  It's like crack for her.  It comes in those little cups like individual serve ice cream, and she'll dive nose first into that thing and won't come up for air until she'll licked the flavor off the cardboard cup.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, jennblevins said:

My favorite silly disclaimer comes from a Starbucks Frappuccino ad, which showed a picture of a frosty-cold, whipped-cream-topped blended drink, and then reminded you to always wear a helmet  

Yes, there was a Vespa scooter parked somewhere off in the background, but plenty of ads for things show cars without reminding viewers to wear seatbelts, so in my head the helmet was meant to prevent brain freeze, somehow. 

I remember some comedian in the nineties. "They have an 800 number on Cool Whip. WTF? 'o.k., I have the pie, I have the Cool Whip, now what do I do? WHAT DO I DO??"

12 hours ago, xls said:

Penny?

• Love 3
On 9/26/2018 at 3:05 PM, Red Bridey said:

Barney, Barney, Barney, is your mother from Killarney?

Umm, on topic?  I am still confused by the Salmon Sisters.  Who are they?  What do they do?  Are they deep sea anglers?  Are they artists?  What does that have to do with whatever tablet they schill?  Can anyone explain?  I get annoyed by these commercials that expect us to know these people.

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

You and me both.  I have no idea who they are or why they appear to be "famous".  From one of their drawings, I thought maybe they make clothes for fish, but other than that, I don't have a clue.

I looked them up. I guess their family has owned a fishing boat for years. And now they have a clothing line called Salmon Sisters. But I can't tell if they actually still fish. I find it hard to believe they go out for days or weeks on a fishing boat, but maybe they do.

I love, love scrapple, so I've been skipping over the posts that describe it in detail. lol You can get small loaves in local grocery stores down here. I don't buy it because my husband and son aren't really into it, but when we go to my parents' house, they always cook it for me.  So.good.

Edited by tanyak
On 9/25/2018 at 12:47 PM, ShutUpLutz said:

Yes!! Okay, maybe not to you're being a terrible person. But how the hell does the blind guy know where to turn?!? Is he one of those kind of but not really blind people like Stevie Wonder? (And no, I'm not demeaning Stevie Wonder or blind people, but it's been a "thing" on the Net the last few years that Wonder isn't really blind. He has said in interviews in the 1980's that he can see vague shadows and shapes, don't know if that has gotten worse over the years.

ANYWAY, back to the Subaru ad, am i the only one kinda grossed out by the young bearded guy, who looks like he hasn't bathed in five or six months.

Against all odds, the blind guy is an actual blind guy, who actually does take sighted people on wilderness trips! 

https://www.adweek.com/creativity/the-unlikely-star-of-subarus-new-ad-has-a-magical-way-of-seeing-the-world/

• Love 7

XFinity.  Family on the couch together, presumably enjoying quality time together.  Except that they're all on different devices doing their own thing and the mother is in the kitchen ordering different food for everyone.

• Love 7
On 9/27/2018 at 6:31 AM, Reality police said:

This is an actor portrayal. This actor does NOT have a curved penis! LOL!  Who cares? 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

New local lawyer looking for people that have taken a specific diabetes med and have suffered the side effect of....wait for it...........GENITAL GANGRENE.   I want to do bodily harm to whomever just planted that in my brain.

I think I'd skip the meds and keep the diabetes. 

Thanks ZillaBreeze for making my imagination run wild. 

ETA: Diabetic men with a curved penis: make sure you NEVER take that medication for diabetes or you will have won the Trifecta! 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 10

Mr. Kemper is watching The Ryder Cup; I am in the same room but not watching.  Until.  I heard a woman's sexy, whisper-y voice...it actually sounded like a porn movie and that she was offering BJs.  I am over 75 but am "hip" enough to know what that stands for. lol   I looked up to see a split screen - the golf was on one side and a commercial for Alpha Romeo was on the other.  Now every time I see an Alpha Romeo (in my neck of the woods, that would be never) I think of porn.  Not sure that is what the car company was going for; or maybe it was.    

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

Mr. Kemper is watching The Ryder Cup; I am in the same room but not watching.  Until.  I heard a woman's sexy, whisper-y voice...it actually sounded like a porn movie and that she was offering BJs.  I am over 75 but am "hip" enough to know what that stands for. lol   I looked up to see a split screen - the golf was on one side and a commercial for Alpha Romeo was on the other.  Now every time I see an Alpha Romeo (in my neck of the woods, that would be never) I think of porn.  Not sure that is what the car company was going for; or maybe it was.    

Oh absofuckinglutely that's what they were going for! 

• Love 3

So annoying, irritating, and wrong:

Colonial Penn with Alex Trebek as the spokesperson with "the 3 Ps":

1. Price that you can afford
  2. Price that will never increase
  3. Price that fits your budget

Arguably all 3 are the same, but is there any difference between 1 and 3???

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Well, he wouldn't want to get stereotyped into certain roles...

I'll bet LOTS of men turned down the offer to be in THAT commercial! I can only imagine being an aspiring out of work actor and FINALLY, you get the call from your agent telling you they've got a job for you and it's going to be seen nationwide; as the man with the curved penis. Who may or may not have genital gangrene! Lol! 

Is anyone else happy that Courtney from Match.com hasn't been seen for awhile? Maybe she got sucked into one of those jet engine propellers she was sitting in? I doubt she found a "match". Just pleased she's gone.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I'll bet LOTS of men turned down the offer to be in THAT commercial! I can only imagine being an aspiring out of work actor and FINALLY, you get the call from your agent telling you they've got a job for you and it's going to be seen nationwide; as the man with the curved penis. Who may or may not have genital gangrene! Lol! 

I've wondered that. I've also wondered how exactly he tells his family and friends that. Yeah, I'm going to be in a commercial! What's it for? Curved Penis! I've wondered that on other commercials I'm going to be a commercial about erectile dysfunction! I'm going to be in a commercial about bladder control! I'm going to be in a commercial all excited about catheters!

• Love 7
On 9/30/2018 at 8:02 AM, andromeda331 said:

I've wondered that. I've also wondered how exactly he tells his family and friends that. Yeah, I'm going to be in a commercial! What's it for? Curved Penis! I've wondered that on other commercials I'm going to be a commercial about erectile dysfunction! I'm going to be in a commercial about bladder control! I'm going to be in a commercial all excited about catheters!

I can't wait to see the actor who is willing to do the commercial for the law firm taking on victims of genital gangrene. "Hi, I'm Courtney and i have genital gangrene contracted from my Match.com date who had a curved penis and diabetes. We had SOOOO much fun on our date!"

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Is anyone else happy that Courtney from Match.com hasn't been seen for awhile? Maybe she got sucked into one of those jet engine propellers she was sitting in? I doubt she found a "match". Just pleased she's gone.

I saw her on a match.com ad just last night "Come find me!"

• Love 7
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So annoying, irritating, and wrong:

Colonial Penn with Alex Trebek as the spokesperson with "the 3 Ps":

1. Price that you can afford
  2. Price that will never increase
  3. Price that fits your budget

Arguably all 3 are the same, but is there any difference between 1 and 3???

Kind of? If you make $2000.00 a month, you can "afford" to spend $2000.00 a month on it, because you make $2000.00 a month and have that much money every month. But what you would budget for life insurance would be different, because, obviously you need money for everything else.