Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Maverick said:

I want the Chevy guy to be locked in with the Mitsubishi guy on a cross-country test drive so he can rap at him for hours on end. and we can be spared having to listen to either of them.

Put the Mazda voiceover guy who breathlessly implores us to Feel Alive in the backseat and I will co-sponsor this trip.

• Love 7

Christ, annoying-ass Fios boy is now harassing people who just moved into the neighborhood!  I'd be setting the dogs on him, and then immediately moving elsewhere.

On ‎09‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, Blergh said:

OR it could be that the Flo's a GIGANTIC write off for Progressive with only a tiny number of folks out there outside the performer's immediate, dependent family who can stand her. Anyway, this is the 'Commercials that Annoy, Irritate or Outrage' subsection so feel free to give your kudos re Flo in the 'Favorite Commercials' one.I WON'T go there!

I think this is far less likely.  Companies don't tend to keep using commercial campaigns which don't increase their sales/profitability.   I'm not giving kudos, simply commenting on the most likely reason that Progressive keeps using the Flo campaign.

• Love 2
On ‎09‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Silver Raven said:

This Macy's ad disturbs me, because, although I appreciate the sentiment, the song is tone deaf.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dlcd/macys-remarkable-you-featuring-becky-hammon-song-by-no-doubt

Also, the civil engineer is on a job site wearing something inappropriate for work, and, in my courthouse at least, the public defender would be sent home if she wasn't wearing a suit to go into court.

• Love 2
On 9/15/2018 at 10:35 PM, chenoa333 said:

So they test on animals.

They do. They used to have a no-animal-testing policy (possibly started way back in the Cindy Crawford days) but then they started selling in China, where animal testing in cosmetics is mandatory.

I have to confess I buy shoes at the Goodwill...sandals. I've never had an issue with contracting a foot fungus. I don't think the fungus can live long if there's no foot for the fungi to feed off. But that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! Lol. I love my shoes from Goodwill!

Over the summer, I scored a pair of Frye harness boots in my perfect size and in great condition for $35 in a charity shop! Also, another time and another shop, a made-in-England pair of Docs, also in fabulous condition, for $25! So I'm with you on this!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

They do. They used to have a no-animal-testing policy (possibly started way back in the Cindy Crawford days) but then they started selling in China, where animal testing in cosmetics is mandatory.

Over the summer, I scored a pair of Frye harness boots in my perfect size and in great condition for $35 in a charity shop! Also, another time and another shop, a made-in-England pair of Docs, also in fabulous condition, for $25! So I'm with you on this!

I scored a beautiful Nanette Lapore top for $5.00 at Goodwiil!

I was kinda being sarcastic when I made my comment (in ref to Ted Nugents brother) because i know Ted is an avid bow and arrow hunter. Had no idea I was correct. 

• Love 1
On 9/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, Silver Raven said:

This Macy's ad disturbs me, because, although I appreciate the sentiment, the song is tone deaf.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dlcd/macys-remarkable-you-featuring-becky-hammon-song-by-no-doubt

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of days, and still come up empty, so it's time to ask:  Why?  The song sarcastically and exasperatedly calls out sexist stereotypes and attitudes.  The commercial shows some of the ways women prove those same things wrong every day.  How is it tone deaf to use one for the other?

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Apparently this Life Alert one is from 2014. They've brought it back with that obnoxious "warning" at the beginning.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dIPq/life-alert-laundry

I HATE these Life Alert commercials! Here's some "insider" info. I used to work at an alarm monitoring center (fire, burglary and medical). Whenever a medical alert  came in to the call center, NONE of the younger (under 30) call reps wanted to take those calls. They let the call sit in the queue until someone (who actually cared) would take the call. Fire alarms were always top priority, then medical and burglar alarms. We had one young guy who walked off the job after having to take a medical alert call and he just said " i hate fucking old people". I hope that kid ends up in hospice before he's 45.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of days, and still come up empty, so it's time to ask:  Why?  The song sarcastically and exasperatedly calls out sexist stereotypes and attitudes.  The commercial shows some of the ways women prove those same things wrong every day.  How is it tone deaf to use one for the other?

Because "I'm Just a Girl" is sexist.

Just now, Silver Raven said:

The song is mocking and rejecting the "You're just a girl and therefore must/must not be/do X,Y, and Z" shit foisted upon women, not seriously saying, "I'm just a girl and therefore must/must not be/do X,Y, and Z."

• Love 20

The other day I saw a beater car with a vanity plate that said PELOTON. It reminded me of their latest stupid ad with the poseur music and idiotic voiceover. “It doesn’t matter what you do, it only matters what you do next.” Yeah, and then couldn’t you say that what you did next doesn’t matter, and what matters is what you do after that? Stop trying to be deep, Peloton.

• Love 10
On 9/19/2018 at 8:53 AM, spiderpig said:

Anybody else have an eternally recurring commercial about living liver transplants?  I just can't anymore (raising a glass of Red Bush and telling the advertiser to do something unmentionable to themselves).

I get it on MSNBC's first run of the evening shows - usually the medical ads don't start until they re-run it for the west coast.

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, what kid says "tasty"? Reminds me of the kid who says "Mom said to buy hearty snacks."

*Both* those kids are obnoxious. Big brother for singing the Hot Pockets jingle before I can reach the mute - which no teenager has ever done - and little brother for quoting Mom saying "hearty snacks" - which no mom has ever done either.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, spiderpig said:

It's been observed that there are two kinds of people in the world - those who don't get Monty Python and the rest of us who do.

I was always told that there were two factions: those who liked Monty Python, and those who liked Benny Hill.  I like both, so I guess I'm rare.  My dad likes both too, but my mom and husband are firmly in the Benny Hill camp.

15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

The song is mocking and rejecting the "You're just a girl and therefore must/must not be/do X,Y, and Z" shit foisted upon women, not seriously saying, "I'm just a girl and therefore must/must not be/do X,Y, and Z."

^^THIS.  If you watch the video for the song, it makes it even more clear.  At the end of every chorus, she says "I've had it up to here".  She gets her digs in all over the song.  "I'm just a girl.  I'd rather not be, 'cause they won't let me drive late at night." and "Oh I'm just a girl, living in captivity.  Your rule of thumb makes me worry some.  Oh I'm just a girl, what's my destiny?  What I've succumbed to is making me numb.  Oh I'm just a girl, my apologies.  What I've become is so burdensome.  Oh I'm just a girl, lucky me.  Twiddle-dum there's no comparison.  I've had it up to here."

• Love 12

Ad for some snack food, mother and daughter have voice overs about out-smarting each other, but when the kid's voice over says, "I own you Kathy." I want to do violence. To a kid. To a rude, patronizing, brat kid. Kids don't use those words, they may do the behavior, but those are adult words and I guess I really want to do violence to the fool who wrote those words for the kid's voice over to say.

• Love 12
23 hours ago, spiderpig said:

It's been observed that there are two kinds of people in the world - those who don't get Monty Python and the rest of us who do.

I've heard that there are two kinds of people in the world-those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don't. 

• Love 16
9 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

The other day I saw a beater car with a vanity plate that said PELOTON. It reminded me of their latest stupid ad with the poseur music and idiotic voiceover. “It doesn’t matter what you do, it only matters what you do next.” Yeah, and then couldn’t you say that what you did next doesn’t matter, and what matters is what you do after that? Stop trying to be deep, Peloton.

I hate when people say stuff like that.  What if "what you do" is murder someone?

• Love 7
On 9/18/2018 at 7:44 PM, chessiegal said:

Has market research shown that insomniacs will "call now"?

Not a commercial, but the voiceover on ABC World News Now at 4 a.m. ET says "ABC WORLD NEWS NOW: Informing insomniacs for over two decades". I appreciate the humor (and it's a great newscast, the two anchors have a light touch when appropriate) 

• Love 7
On 9/17/2018 at 4:58 PM, chenoa333 said:

I was hoping nobody would mention this ad with the 30 year old ancient song by Gwen Stefani. Hate the commercial, hate Gwen, hate the song, hate her  drunk husband, hate her red lips. Hate Macy's. 

Who is her “drunk husband?” Last I knew she was single (divorced). Also that song is not 30 years old.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:50 PM, Silver Raven said:

Its supposed to be ironic. 

• Love 7

It seems that there a lot of commercials now with men doing laundry & looking after the kids while they do it.  No “mom” in sight.  On which planet does this take place?

I've mentioned it in Small Talk, but a couple of months ago at the laundromat, there was a young man doing the family laundry, no woman in sight. I told him that I always appreciated a man doing laundry. He said he was just doing what needed done. It does happen, not often enough, but it does happen. I often see couples doing the family laundry with the male half doing as much folding and sorting as the female half.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, SrOfficial said:

It seems that there a lot of commercials now with men doing laundry & looking after the kids while they do it.  No “mom” in sight.  On which planet does this take place?

My dad, husband and son do as much housework as I or my mom ever did.

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I told him that I always appreciated a man doing laundry. He said he was just doing what needed done. It does happen, not often enough, but it does happen. 

My son does laundry.  Must be more common amongst the younger guys.  My husband would go & buy new underwear & socks before lifting a finger.  It’s so much easier to visit a store than to load the washer.  ?

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, SrOfficial said:

My son does laundry.  Must be more common amongst the younger guys.  My husband would go & buy new underwear & socks before lifting a finger.  It’s so much easier to visit a store than to load the washer.  ?

I think it has something to do with having mothers who work outside the home. My dad learned a lot of it in the Air Force. My husband just preferred doing his own laundry and cooking even though his family had a housekeeper. His mother was/is probably the worst cook I have ever encountered. His dad on the other hand was an excellent cook. In my son's case, he was expected to do chores, to pitch in whenever something needed doing. All of these men had examples of father figures doing "women's work" and in their cases it came down to "if you want something done a certain way, do it yourself because mama has shit to do".

• Love 7
On 9/18/2018 at 4:44 PM, chessiegal said:

I woke up in the wee hours this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. I got up to watch some mindless TV in hopes of falling asleep. I settled on Bewitched on Logo. I swear they ran the same 2 commercials every break, 1 for a battery operated device that pulled out pimples and 1 for a small battery device you could use to shape your eyebrows. Has market research shown that insomniacs will "call now"?

I wonder with cable TV and audience tracking, how much we are being specifically targeted as viewers.  I swear all I see are medical spots and insurance 24/7.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My husband, whose almost 70, has always done the laundry. I would never attempt to fold his clothes - he is very picky about how his clothes are folded. Me, not so much.

Was your hub in the Marine Corps? (sent as the spouse of a Marine who can make beds like nobody's business that you can flip quarters off of)

• Love 5
On 9/19/2018 at 9:48 PM, Bastet said:

On 9/19/2018 at 10:56 PM, Bastet said:

I posted this Macy's commercial in the Favorites thread. I frelling love it and the use of Just a Girl.  I'm just a girl who has spent her life (like many other women) working in male dominated industries and now my position is getting a bunch of salesmen (of all ages) in 'the south' to listen to me. I'm sure some of them think I'm "just a girl" and now I'm riled up to go out to Macy's and buy some new work attire.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I wonder with cable TV and audience tracking, how much we are being specifically targeted as viewers.  I swear all I see are medical spots and insurance 24/7.

We were watching our usual weekend fare last night (Alfred Hitchcock, Twilight Zone, etc) and in one chunk of commercials, there were a) Incontinence pants, b) Laxatives and c) Incontinence PILLS.  Geez, we like old shows but we can still make it to the bathroom in time!

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

We were watching our usual weekend fare last night (Alfred Hitchcock, Twilight Zone, etc) and in one chunk of commercials, there were a) Incontinence pants, b) Laxatives and c) Incontinence PILLS.  Geez, we like old shows but we can still make it to the bathroom in time!

LOL - so who's the catheter dude who claims he can now fly confidently with whatever the hell product he is shilling?  I swear I see him more often than my husband.

• Love 14

Re: men and doing stuff around the house. I was surprised by the number of men among the couples on Escape to the Continent did the cooking. I'm also surprised that, apparently, many average British couples can save enough to buy a house and move to the continent. 

My dad and brother do their own laundry, by a certain age in my house we all did our own laundry. My brother does all the cleaning at his house because he's so picky. Although from the older generation my grandpa had to learn how to do laundry after his wife passed away, my great-grandfather had to re-learn it because his wife always did it and after she passed away his daughter took over the laundry but once she passed away he was on his own. He did have another daughter but she was a bitch (just in general not really about the laundry my family helped him out more then she ever would because she was a bitch) but he was able to do it all until the last couple years of his life when he moved in with us. Before then he was able to stay in his house and take care of himself. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Was your hub in the Marine Corps? (sent as the spouse of a Marine who can make beds like nobody's business that you can flip quarters off of)

No - 2 years Army. And boy howdy can he make a bed and clean a bathroom.

I've noticed the new trend of Dads doing things in commercials. I have a son-in-law like that. In addition to playing with the kids when he gets home from work, he bathes them before bed time, and if everyone behaves, he reads them a bed time story.

• Love 6

My dad helped out with the housework, too. When I was a baby/toddler, my mom worked days and my dad worked nights, so they would do whatever needed to be done based off of that schedule. My mom's told me before about how shocked some of her co-workers were that my dad was so involved in taking care of both the house and me (and my sister as well, when she came along). Course, that was back in the '80s, so... Luckily it seems attitudes on that stuff have changed some since then. Or I hope they have, anyway. 

• Love 3

How many pimple commercials are there? If the closeup shots of all all kinds of acne was not bad enough now we get the disgusting DERMASUCTION tool that sucks the.pimples clean, and then they show us what got sucked out.  Bleckk!!!!!Between all these commercials where they feel the need to make me nauseous and ads for Dr. Pimple Popper I no longer snack while watching tv...I like the thought of dropping a few pounds, but I miss popcorn.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I cringe whenever this commercial comes on. He is so over the top and the fact he keeps saying the same thing doesn't help.

I don’t usually bother with muting commercials, but this is the one that has me lunging for the remote. And why does the guy look like he walked off the set of Family Matters? He looks like Urkel.

• Love 1