Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

This one kind of pisses me off in light of the state of the world today and people having to flee their homes for real (natural disasters, etc). 

Who comes up with this stuff??

Edited by seasons
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, seasons said:

This one kind of pisses me off in light of the state of the world today and people having to flee their homes for real (natural disasters, etc). 

Who comes up with this stuff??

Sheesh, there's more of them? From your description I was expecting the idiots who keep stuffing things in their big-ass SUV while everyone around them is evacuating. Whereas in the real world, people who had to take more than a minute to find their keys nearly got caught by the fires.

• Love 1

OMG, the Panera commercials just get more and more annoying. The narrator gets more smug and supercilious with every overwritten voice-over.

(Of course, part of my anger could stem from the fact that my local Panera has changed most of their breakfast sandwiches to include over-easy eggs and other slide-y things--and the sandwiches aren't wrapped in protective paper anymore, so you can't eat them in the car on the way to work at 6 a.m. without them ending up all over your lap--a lesson I learned to my car's and pants' dismay not long ago, thank you very much, avocados.) 

Special Note to Panera: If you really did respect me, you'd offer hard-cooked eggs again, re-wrap your sandwiches instead of putting them in a useless box, and most of all, GET RID OF THAT NARRATOR.

If you could at least do the latter, I might even try to overcome my life-long disgust of runny eggs to choke down one of those over-easy egg sandwiches in gratitude.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 12

Besides Panera's inane commercials hawking "good clean feeeuuudd", they have a habit of getting rid of the items I love.  They replaced the Chicken Cobb Avocado salad with the disgusting Green Goddess Cobb, and got rid of the Soba Noodle Bowl and left the Wonton Noodle Bowl.  Plus they tend to get orders wrong because they're usually so busy.

• Love 6

How many times do I have to see that Hershey cookie layer bar woman drowning in hot lava??  They play that thing constantly.  Ugh.  It does not make me want to buy their product.  In fact it just grosses me out.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, kirinan said:

OMG, the Panera commercials just get more and more annoying. The narrator gets more smug and supercilious with every overwritten voice-over.

I have U-verse and get commercials on channels that aren't local for places that are in the Jackson, MS area which I'm nowhere near. They have at least one Panera there so I see these commercials a lot and that voice is like nails on a chalkboard. If I went to a city that had a Panera I wouldn't go to it because spending money there would condone and help pay for further usage of that woman's voice.

• Love 6
On 1/24/2018 at 7:33 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

I found 11 to be a very appealing character in the first season but ..

I haven't watched Stranger Things, and probably won't....but there is a character whose name is 11?!?!? Now I definitely won't watch it, probably.

And I don't think I'd tell my husband if I was constipated, unless it became a serious medical issue.  He doesn't need to know all my bathroom secrets.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

How many times do I have to see that Hershey cookie layer bar woman drowning in hot lava??  They play that thing constantly.  Ugh.  It does not make me want to buy their product.  In fact it just grosses me out.

I hate her saying, "Hah-ahah-ahah-ahah-ahah-ahah-ahah-ahot!" I watch a lot of streaming content and I was subjected to that commercial about 17 times in one hour during one program.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For me, not going to Panera because of their commercials would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. I love their food. My local Panera is wonderful - efficient, good food. I probably go at least once a week.

I've said this before, but Panera is Dead to Me. There is a Panera on the ground floor of the building I used to work in, and they were kind of terrible. Multiple times, I would place a to-go order, wait 15 minutes to go down and pick it up, then wait another 10 minutes for my name to come up on the electronic board, and then to be told that they were out of something in my order. The worst.

They also play games with their gift cards. Never again!

• Love 4

If I had bad experiences with Panera, I wouldn't go either. But I haven't. In over 4 years, I've had 1 wrong to-go order. When I talked to the manager, she gave me a $10 voucher (my order was probably $7). Guess it depends on the franchise.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I haven't watched Stranger Things, and probably won't....but there is a character whose name is 11?!?!? Now I definitely won't watch it, probably.

And I don't think I'd tell my husband if I was constipated, unless it became a serious medical issue.  He doesn't need to know all my bathroom secrets.

well, its the number tattooed on her wrist since she was one of a number of babies who were part of a dark semi-scientific research project...

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Besides Panera's inane commercials hawking "good clean feeeuuudd", they have a habit of getting rid of the items I love.  They replaced the Chicken Cobb Avocado salad with the disgusting Green Goddess Cobb, and got rid of the Soba Noodle Bowl and left the Wonton Noodle Bowl.  Plus they tend to get orders wrong because they're usually so busy.

My Panera just got the Soba Noodle Bowl back about two weeks ago! Check to see if yours has it again. And for the most part, I do like their food, but I agree with you, Amethyst, they tend to get rid of things or change them around quite often. Why can't they do the same with their commercial narrators? 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, kirinan said:

My Panera just got the Soba Noodle Bowl back about two weeks ago! Check to see if yours has it again. 

I just did and it's there!  Thank you for the heads up!  I'm surprised they have it now, it strikes me as a fall dish.  Maybe I'll give them another chance.

I hate that Progressive ad where the guy can't remember Jamie's name...even though Jamie told him a few seconds before "It's me - Jamie!"  I just think a lot of the ads featuring Jamie are way too mean, and stupid too.

I change the channel so I don't have to hear the Panera spokesperson's annoying, smug, faux childlike voice.  Though I do love Panera itself and go there when I can.

I liked the Trujeo ads so much that I now follow the actor on FB lol.  

One ad that just enrages me is the one for Anoro.  "COPD tries to say go this way, I'll go my OWN way with Anoro!"  Trying to target the Baby Boomer "rebels" (I am in that target demographic), and it comes off so patronizing and, I don't know...I just hate it.  But then again, I hate all commercials that use our generations' songs to sell stuff.

"Be a rebel, use our drug."  Ugh. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I saw that one today and ended up wondering WTF being half-submerged in lava has to do with chocolate bars.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, HipOldBat said:

I hate that Progressive ad where the guy can't remember Jamie's name...even though Jamie told him a few seconds before "It's me - Jamie!"  I just think a lot of the ads featuring Jamie are way too mean, and stupid too.

There’s a new one where they are all sitting around a table and Flo is introducing everyone by name with some amazing thing they have done.  Jamie is last and she says “Jamie....”, there’s a pause and he says “present.”

No.  Jamie has been with you since the beginning.  Don’t do him like that.

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, millennium said:

Any commercial in which a character says "Alexa."

My Alexa always lights up when she hears her name on tv.  She's never done any of the asked for tasks though.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, kirinan said:

(Of course, part of my anger could stem from the fact that my local Panera has changed most of their breakfast sandwiches to include over-easy eggs and other slide-y things--and the sandwiches aren't wrapped in protective paper anymore, so you can't eat them in the car on the way to work at 6 a.m. without them ending up all over your lap--a lesson I learned to my car's and pants' dismay not long ago, thank you very much, avocados.) 

Special Note to Panera: If you really did respect me, you'd offer hard-cooked eggs again, re-wrap your sandwiches instead of putting them in a useless box, and most of all, GET RID OF THAT NARRATOR.

If you could at least do the latter, I might even try to overcome my life-long disgust of runny eggs to choke down one of those over-easy egg sandwiches in gratitude.

Thank you for your consideration.

Yes!  I'm so ticked about Panera changing to that over easy egg.  Too hard to eat on a sandwich!  Ticks me off!  The only substitute is a yellow scrambled egg like substance that is NOT the same.

5 hours ago, millennium said:

Any commercial in which a character says "Alexa."

Any of the Duluth Trading Company underwear commercials with the troglodyte narrator talking about how Duluth briefs don't show ass cracks or stink.

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

My Alexa always lights up when she hears her name on tv.  She's never done any of the asked for tasks though.

We got an Amazon Dot for Christmas from a cousin.  I haven't figured it out yet, but it lights up all the time during commercials, and talks to me about how I don't have that feature set up (whatever it is).

I'm in the minority that finds Duluth commercials funny.

On another front, those Peloton commercials can go away any time now.  Especially the most recent one where the little kid is sitting on her trike flailing her legs.  UGH!

• Love 3
On 1/27/2018 at 6:07 AM, seasons said:

GMC has done a commercial like this every year now for a while. See links below. 

I hate that "keeping up with the Joneses crap". What an old and outdated message that they encourage.

They must really like this theme because they've been making a new one every year. 

Hate how the non GMC person is portrayed.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ann1/2016-gmc-terrain-new-years-resolution

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AoIh/gmc-light-up-reindeer

Those are awful.  The neighbor who bought the new car is so horrible and condescending.  My retort to her comment would be "I guess you did save some money.  But I save a whole lot more money by not buying a car I don't need."

• Love 7
On 1/27/2018 at 5:51 AM, seasons said:

I want him to shave that stupid shadow off and then I'd like to punch him so he lands on his back like a bug.

Maybe his bobbling head and constant movements can give him some traction to get back up.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wHM_/toujeo-daily-groove

Drugs can have odd side effects, so I'm willing to cut the guy some slack. I saw a new ad recently where they had cut the scenes so that it somehow didn't seem as annoying.

On ‎01‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, smittykins said:

Well yeah, until you go off their prepackaged food...

Weight Watchers is a "eat your own food" program.  Unlike, say Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig.

On ‎01‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, friendperidot said:

I've lost over 30 lbs, it took me 2 years. I didn't use weight watchers, I still eat pretty much anything I want, I just eat less of it. It took me a while to get used to eating less, but it took me a while to get used to eating more of stuff too. I didn't put that 30 lbs on all at once, it took me a long time, so it doesn't bother me that I took it off slowly. I bought a new belt a year ago, had to, all my jeans were falling off. When I bought the belt, I fastened it in the first, loosest notch, I've been in the second notch for several months now and this week I went to the third notch, it's not exactly comfortable there, but I can put it there. I just changed my eating, smaller portions, I don't fry much, I use the Forman Grill quite a bit, I eat more salads and try to incorporate more vegetables, but I still eat candy, made a dump cake in the slow cooker today. I guess if you need a machine to yell at you to exercise, you might need Weight Watchers and Nutrisystems, etc. to tell you how to eat, but I didn't find it necessary. And I hate all of those ads. George Forman is kind of cute, but I bought the grill after researching on my own. They've been available a very long time now. I use a slow cooker a lot too and I'm thinking about getting an air fryer and an Instant Pot too. Haven't decided yet, but don't see a lot of ads for those, I am still researching, reading reviews and thinking. Oh, and I do have the Red Copper Flipwich, I still like it.

I lost 44 pounds in about a year with Weight Watchers.  Then I fell off the wagon, gained it back (like I've done with every other diet I've tried), and have never managed to get it back in gear since.  Some of us have problems with motivation and need structure to help us. 

• Love 5
On ‎01‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, Silver Raven said:

He's on today's episode of The Doctors, discussing his condition.  It might be available on OnDemand.

I don't really care one way or the other about the actor.  I hate the Fios commercials he's in because the character is an annoying, smart-mouthed brat.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 4:08 PM, chessiegal said:

Which I'm told (never tried it) is really crappy. I have a doctor who said her husband tried it and quit because the food was awful.

It is.  Most of it is nearly unpalatable.  The snacks are okay.  But the entrees are miniscule and awful.  I think if you could really stick to it you'd lose weight, but just because you were eating a very small amount of food.  That is a huge if.  After about 2-3 weeks you will be so desperate for a decent meal that you'll turn into a devouring beast.

• Love 5

Weight Watchers is a "eat your own food" program.  Unlike, say Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig.

And South Beach Diet, which has started advertising a lot lately.

I've been on Nutrisystem for about a year now, the food isn't horrible.  Though a lot of the choices involve cheese, which I don't eat.  The lunches, in particular, and the snacks, are very good.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

For me, not going to Panera because of their commercials would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. I love their food. My local Panera is wonderful - efficient, good food. I probably go at least once a week.

If I liked Panera, their annoying commercials wouldn't keep me from going there.  Since I find their food to be mediocre, the commercials do keep me away.

3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

You're not alone.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I lost 44 pounds in about a year with Weight Watchers.  Then I fell off the wagon, gained it back (like I've done with every other diet I've tried), and have never managed to get it back in gear since.  Some of us have problems with motivation and need structure to help us. 

I tried WW a long time ago.  It may have changed now, and it could have been the group I went to, but I felt they were constantly pushing you toward their pre-packaged stuff rather than teaching you better swaps, and how to make better choices.  I was in college, and eating their stuff wasn't convenient, and I felt they blamed me for my failure to lose weight because I wasn't eating their stuff enough.  In the end, I gave up because I'd get a "Hmm" when I didn't lose anything.  After a bit, it was "Are you SURE you're not cheating and you're not fudging your diary?".  Turned out I have PCOS, and weight loss is extremely difficult.  That really turned me off of those types of groups.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I tried WW a long time ago.  It may have changed now, and it could have been the group I went to, but I felt they were constantly pushing you toward their pre-packaged stuff rather than teaching you better swaps, and how to make better choices.  I was in college, and eating their stuff wasn't convenient, and I felt they blamed me for my failure to lose weight because I wasn't eating their stuff enough.  In the end, I gave up because I'd get a "Hmm" when I didn't lose anything.  After a bit, it was "Are you SURE you're not cheating and you're not fudging your diary?".  Turned out I have PCOS, and weight loss is extremely difficult.  That really turned me off of those types of groups.

A co-worker of mine had the same issue with PCOS.  No one thing works for everyone.

• Love 1

Olivia Munn, I do not give one single flying intercourse on a rolling donut that your dog pooped. It's not cute for you to announce it on your set. 

I hate the Honda ads with the animated trophies spewing inane platitudes in chipper voices.

The Panera voiceover person has indeed reached epic levels of smug. 

• Love 5

I went to Panera this morning and they had a big sign saying there was no cream cheese.  I was pissed because I had planned to get a bagel and cream cheese.  Then when I got home, I saw on tv that Panera just listed a recall of their cream cheese because of listeria.  I wonder how smug that annoying voiceover person will be in their next ad. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, funky-rat said:

On another front, those Peloton commercials can go away any time now.  Especially the most recent one where the little kid is sitting on her trike flailing her legs.  UGH!

You read my mind.  Hey, lady, how about you take your kid out so she can actually ride her trike. Instead of sitting there like an idiot. And the idiots on the screen you're watching or riding with or whatever. All that "come on ride harder" thing they do. Fuck off. 

• Love 9

I thought this was the annoy thread?

I don't mind the Duluth Trading Co. commercials except for when they mention "no stink." It's just something I don't care to imagine while watching the ol' TeeVee. 

And yes, Fuck Peloton. The voiceover, the song in the background... it just hits all the wrong notes. 

• Love 6
On 1/29/2018 at 4:50 AM, mojoween said:

There’s a new one where they are all sitting around a table and Flo is introducing everyone by name with some amazing thing they have done.  Jamie is last and she says “Jamie....”, there’s a pause and he says “present.”

No.  Jamie has been with you since the beginning.  Don’t do him like that.

What they SHOULD have done was have an empty chair with Flo's nametag in front of it and after Jamie said 'present', then asked for Flo and have Jamie pipe up 'PAST' to the cheers of the entire table! Yep, I CAN'T STAND HER and I don't care who knows it!

Edited by Blergh
tenses
  • Love 5
On 1/29/2018 at 11:28 AM, funky-rat said:

Yes!  I'm so ticked about Panera changing to that over easy egg.  Too hard to eat on a sandwich!  Ticks me off!  The only substitute is a yellow scrambled egg like substance that is NOT the same.

You can order the egg medium or hard. Also, their scrambled egg is all egg. The basis of their suit is that other places are using something that has eggs and other ingredients, and calling it "egg".

For the record, the egg, bacon cheese on a brioche bun from Panera beats all other breakfast sandwiches.

The gigablast commercial, hate it..  The grandmother who is actually operating and talking for a toy monkey voice grates.   "Oh Bella, I love playing with you."  This is an ad for future capabilities . Good god. 

19 hours ago, backformore said:

You can order the egg medium or hard. Also, their scrambled egg is all egg. The basis of their suit is that other places are using something that has eggs and other ingredients, and calling it "egg".

For the record, the egg, bacon cheese on a brioche bun from Panera beats all other breakfast sandwiches.

They didn't have that option online (to order the egg hard).  I usually order online and pick it up on my way to work.  The scrambled egg tasted funny.  Not sure what it was, but I didn't like it.  I'm also not a fan of brioche - too much like a hamburger bun for me, but I do love Panera's bagels.

• Love 2