Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I wonder if the whole "Hope bold" things is some sort of inside joke/saying that came about with their podcast.  Like "Be sure to write Hope - bold when referrring to our podcast" or something.  I'm thinking way to much about this.

Talk about a lame shopify effort.  I've seen better done by nobody teenagers.

Jinger is one of the least bold people I can think of.

• Love 16

I'm no marketing expert, but shouldn't the merchandise come after you've established a brand? They're not trying to be retailers like Amy; they're certainly not creative designers. They're wannabe influencers trying to be podcasters, and while I would roll my eyes at the idea of them trying to sell hats off their "hope we hold" "brand," that would at least make more sense than coming up with "Hope and Stead" (seriously, why?!) and immediately advertising hats and candles.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I'm no marketing expert, but shouldn't the merchandise come after you've established a brand? They're not trying to be retailers like Amy; they're certainly not creative designers. They're wannabe influencers trying to be podcasters, and while I would roll my eyes at the idea of them trying to sell hats off their "hope we hold" "brand," that would at least make more sense than coming up with "Hope and Stead" (seriously, why?!) and immediately advertising hats and candles.

LOL yes. I had not quite been able to articulate it until you mentioned it, but it is really weird they didn't just use the podcast thing as a jumping-off point for merchandise rather than a whole new tagline. "Hope we hold" isn't great marketing, either, but it at least already existed and is way less abstract and confusing than "Hope and Stead."

I'm totally envisioning Hope and Stead as like the fundie version of Goofus and Gallant. "Hope is polite to his elders. Stead is not." 

• LOL 22
  • Love 2

you could predict the "our brand" marketing after Jer and Jing met with Jer and Aud Roloff. they have been following the Roloff pattern. Podcast, book, merchandise, next Jing will be shilling essential oils. I doubt they will follow Jer and Aud as far as leaving the family gravy train/TV show. Since Jer and Jing believe they are the breakout stars and all

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

39 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Can someone tell me where Jeremy and Jing are getting the money to finance their posh LA lifestyle?  Mainly what I get from Jere is that he fancies the hip tailored suits with the too-short pants, digs a fancy pocket square, gets lots of takeout coffee, and doodles with $250 fountain pens.  His wife has to maintain her blond highlights and cute funky wardrobe, whilst Prop 1 and Prop 2 can't risk being photographed in normal toddler/baby clothes, lest their image be shattered.  Who is paying for this?  He can't be making much as a part-time low demand preacher, and I can't imagine JB is handing over too much TLC money.

Long way of asking: why is this husband and father of two shilling a poorly thought out website where one can purchase a trucker hat and a candle for $49.95 plus shipping, a "portion" of which goes to charity?  How does that pay the bills?

There was this case in NYC a couple of years ago about a fake heiress who was convicted of scamming rich people. I won't go into much detail, but one of the things that vividly stood out to me when I first read about the case,  and that I still think about often, is just how generous even the most miserly asshole is to people they consider wealthy. Managers at luxury hotels would let her stay for several days, unpaid, based on her word that her German bank was having issues and she would pay them as soon as possible; the rich friends she made would give her several thousand dollars for some art gallery she claimed to be starting, again, just based on her word. All sorts of stuff like that was going on.

I don't say this to imply that Jeremy and Jinger's grift goes into illegal territory, but that the world is full of people with more money than sense, who would balk at giving money to the needy but think nothing of handing it over to "affluent" friends. Jeremy is very good at knowing who to suck up to.

That, and/or they're racking up massive credit card debt.

• Love 19
18 minutes ago, lascuba said:

There was this case in NYC a couple of years ago about a fake heiress who was convicted of scamming rich people. I won't go into much detail, but one of the things that vividly stood out to me when I first read about the case,  and that I still think about often, is just how generous even the most miserly asshole is to people they consider wealthy. Managers at luxury hotels would let her stay for several days, unpaid, based on her word that her German bank was having issues and she would pay them as soon as possible; the rich friends she made would give her several thousand dollars for some art gallery she claimed to be starting, again, just based on her word. All sorts of stuff like that was going on.

I don't say this to imply that Jeremy and Jinger's grift goes into illegal territory, but that the world is full of people with more money than sense, who would balk at giving money to the needy but think nothing of handing it over to "affluent" friends. Jeremy is very good at knowing who to suck up to.

I remember that story! Scammer got huge amount of money.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I remember that story! Scammer got huge amount of money.

I live in NYC and during her trial, this story was covered in all the local newspapers. Her name is Anna Sorokin.  She claimed to be a German heiress, when in reality she was a poor Russian. She scammed banks, hotels and "friends" out of over $270,000.  I believe she was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

I was under the impression that given their lifestyle, Jeremy came into a nice inheritance and that he was also able to save most of the money he earned playing professional soccer.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I know that many supposed Christians who have a policy of only giving to the "needy" who share their beliefs.  Jeremy and Jinger are (it pains me to type this with a straight face) an up-and-coming young couple and can be seen to be the future of their particular flavor of Protestantism.  Why wouldn't more established members of their church help them out?  It's a win-win for all involved.  The older people get the satisfaction of helping out those less fortunate like Jesus commands without that money being spent irresponsibly, and Jeremy and Jinger get to live in a better home and provide a better life for their daughters.  Jeremy knows this and exploits it.  So does Jilly Rod to a lesser extent.

• Love 5

Sooo...if I've read all of this correctly...they tried to generate interest by asking followers what they thought "Hope and Stead" was going to be, when in reality, they had already posted pictures of basically every piece of merchandise in their teaser images since there are only about 5 hats and one candle in the entire "store?" Real big reveal there, guys. 🙄

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

buy someone a stocking stuffer hat from a place that didn't exist until yesterday?? who would want that? first you would have to be a fan/follower to even know Jing and Jer named there place with the silly name, but then so would the person who got a hat or candle in their stocking

good god they are dumber than a box of rocks on marketing strategies

• LOL 8
  • Love 6

I only mentioned the "hat worn by Michelle" because way back when Jana rearranged her "closet" and was supposedly donating stuff, one of her followers suggested she should sell the clothes on Poshmark because people would pay a lot for something actually worn by a Duggar

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
7 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I only mentioned the "hat worn by Michelle" because way back when Jana rearranged her "closet" and was supposedly donating stuff, one of her followers suggested she should sell the clothes on Poshmark because people would pay a lot for something actually worn by a Duggar

Well, if anyone here reads the Sister Wives forum, Meri Brown shills her personally-worn LuLaNo rags at premium prices, and fawning fans actually buy them!  There's one born every minute, it's sad but apparently true.  So I'm sure the leg humping fans would buy anything worn by a Duggar.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

What does “lifestyle of hope” even mean? 

A lifestyle in which you careen from one ill-considered, lame-ass semi-passive-income scheme to the next in the (vain) hope that one of them is going to pay off big time? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Adeejay said:

that he was also able to save most of the money he earned playing professional soccer.

The problem with that is that he played professional soccer for only two and a half seasons.

And one season was for a notoriously cash-strapped Finnish team in that high-cost-of-living country, and the half season was for a very very minor league team in San Antonio. The only really prosperous team he played for was during his season in New York, and he wasn't drafted there or anything but brought in as a just-in-case backup. And there, again, he was living in a high-cost area.  If he managed to save $25,000 from those two-and-a-half years, I'd be very very surprised. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

Here’s my two cents worth to the name pronunciation:  I would pronounce Prop #2’s name as Evangel-LEEN (I have a little girl in my remote learning evil Catholic religion class with that name).

I seem to remember that Jacqueline Kennedy pronounced her name as Jack-LEEN, even though it was mostly pronounced as Jac-a-lyn.  

I guess we’ll have to hear Jer and Jing say out loud it so we can settle the question once and for all.

• Love 2

I've bought Macbailey candles before and they're exceptional.  The Vuolo's are selling them for almost $10 LESS than most online retailers and offer free shipping.  

I bought 3 this morning for Christmas presents.  I don't care what they do or how they run their site, a bargain is a bargain for a nice gift.  And I saved almost $30.  

I'm a super fan of saving money.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, awaken said:

I do care about what values a business promotes, and spend my money accordingly. I wouldn’t want to receive a gift from a company with owners who boldly and proudly denigrate the value of other human beings. 

I wouldn’t even accept a free gift from them. Just no thanks.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

I've bought Macbailey candles before and they're exceptional.  The Vuolo's are selling them for almost $10 LESS than most online retailers and offer free shipping.  

I bought 3 this morning for Christmas presents.  I don't care what they do or how they run their site, a bargain is a bargain for a nice gift.  And I saved almost $30.  

I'm a super fan of saving money.  

You should check out Target. They sell the same candle under the brand Hearth and Home. Its not only cheaper at $12.99, its also larger.

• Useful 9
  • Love 15
18 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Crazy they have almost 37k follows in less than a week.

Would be interesting to see how many are family, extended family, somehow fit in the family Venn diagram or are part of the network of like massive families who all travel to the same big events yearly.    Wouldn't be surprised to see the number drop significantly after all of those from that tent are factored out. 

• Love 8