Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I knew they'd go with LINE. It's the most pretentious. 🙄

It sounds more hick than pretentious to my ears. I'm as surprised that Jeremy would go for that pronunciation as I am that he went with "Jo".

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I thought it was pronounced EvangeLEAN!  Obviously I’ve never heard the name used before.

Same, and i think they will be correcting people until the end of time. Most people will say 'Lean"

• Love 8
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

I thought it was pronounced EvangeLEAN!  Obviously I’ve never heard the name used before.

all I hear is the girl at the end of Nanny McPhee "he'll marry Evangalean!!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Same, and i think they will be correcting people until the end of time. Most people will say 'Lean"

I like the name EvangeLEAN.  I hate the name EvangeLINE.  That’s an awful name to saddle someone with IMO!

• Love 8

I always thought my grandma's name, AngeLINE, was very pretty.  I don't think any way you pronounce Evangeline sounds "hick" at all.  I guess different families pronounce the name in different ways.  I would know how to spell Evangeline's name.  It is spelled like it is spoken.

• Love 5

I don't see anything wrong with the pronouncing Evangeline with line, leen or lyn.  The chosen pronunciation  is the privilege of the user/owner of the name.  I just hope they announce the pronunciation soon. 

As I wrote before, I don't care for Jo with it.  There is nothing wrong with the name Jo - it just doesn't sound right with Evangeline and has a different style.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I don't see anything wrong with the pronouncing Evangeline with line, leen or lyn.  The chosen pronunciation  is the privilege of the user/owner of the name.  I just hope they announce the pronunciation soon. 

As I wrote before, I don't care for Jo with it.  There is nothing wrong with the name Jo - it just doesn't sound right with Evangeline and has a different style.

Jessa already announced the pronunciation. It's Evanga–LINE.

12 hours ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Do you mean Vain?

Lol, I was wondering what veins had to do with it!  The blood of Christ maybe?  

6 hours ago, Lunera said:

Or Evangelize. Their pronunciation butchers the whole name imo.

Evangelize Vuolo would be perfect. Along the lines of Israel Dillard. So in-your-face. 

• Love 1

I feel like saying Evangeline is an Olympic vowel trial. Long e, short a, short e, long i and a silent e. At least her name is a tad easier to pronounce than Otorhinolaryngologist.

I still have my money on Lina (pronounced Lena) on being her nickname.

• Love 8
On 11/28/2020 at 8:02 PM, xtwheeler said:

The "place" definition is obsolete, according to Merriam-Webster. I'm assuming they're using it as "help" which is one of the definitions.  Regardless, if we're spending this much time thinking about it, it is a fail.

I think it’s the root of the word steady, if that helps. 

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

No, it's not you. It's that there are people who pronounce the name all three ways. Some say "line," some say "lean" and some say "lyn." 

They all sound fine to me. I'm baffled by the idea that one of the pronunciations is lower or higher class than another or whatever.

And the whole thing doesn't seem to me like a problem. There are quite a few names that have a couple of widely used pronunciations. This is one of the few names that happen to have three such pronunciations instead of two. And since it's a fairly uncommon name I guess that feels weird to people.

But really it's pretty normal in the name realm. I mean, I know two Carolines (with that spelling). -- One says Caroline (the first and third syllables accented almost equally with a tiny bit more stress on the third) and the other says Carolyn (accent mainly on the FIRST syllable) even though they both spell it the same way. Luckily only one of them gets pissed if some stranger accidentally pronounces her name "wrong." And I definitely like the other woman better, since there's no reason anybody should know how you pronounce your name until you tell them.

Maybe I feel casual about these multiple pronunciations because there's a common name in my family through a few generations that also has three widely used pronunciations and....big deal. They're all perfectly fine. And if it's your name or your kid's name and it matters to you, just tell them which pronunciation you use. And don't cast shade on the pronunciations others choose. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 22

I don't mind the pronunciation EvangeLINE by itself, per se, though I prefer EvangeLYN. The real problem is the flow with the middle name. Because the LINE ending basically gives the name two stressed syllables, it flows as though there is already a middle name in there, and you sort of have to pause to add the Jo, which isn't a problem with saying Evangelyn Jo. If they never plan on calling her by both names, and the Jo is just tacked on there as some sort of tribute, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it's still nice if a first name and middle name sound good together.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 9

Evangeline, in my mind, sounds better with a southern accent, Evangeleen, rolls off the tongue easier and Evangelynn ends too abruptly.

Eh, fuck it, they should have just named her Stead.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 24
56 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Evangeline, in my mind, sounds better with a southern accent, Evangeleen, rolls of the tongue easier and Evangelynn ends too abruptly.

Eh, fuck it, they should have just named her Stead.

Still shocked they didn’t name her Hope. Brand fail.

• LOL 21
  • Love 1

“Jordyn and I loved our time together on this special trip, and we had so much fun playing with Felicity while her mommy and daddy were busy getting Covid.”

FIFY, Michelle. Also, Prop thinks you’re full of it and she is an expert at this point.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't mind the pronunciation EvangeLINE by itself, per se, though I prefer EvangeLYN. The real problem is the flow with the middle name. Because the LINE ending basically gives the name two stressed syllables, it flows as though there is already a middle name in there, and you sort of have to pause to add the Jo, which isn't a problem with saying Evangelyn Jo. If they never plan on calling her by both names, and the Jo is just tacked on there as some sort of tribute, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it's still nice if a first name and middle name sound good together.

Ack!!! is the child's middle name Jo?  just Jo?  or short for Josephine?

I don't always check this forum so I am usually pretty behind the news.  

that basically would be "EVAN-ge-LINE-jo?  Sorry, LIne-jo isn't working for me. 

This name discussion has reminded me that I had a gr-gr aunt whose middle name was Evangeline.  There were 9 girls in that family.  I wonder if I can figure out which one it was to see how the names sounded together.

edited to add__ Her name was Amelia Evangeline.   It is a mouthful.  One of my gr-gr grandmothers was Virginia Carolina which is another mouthful.

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 4

Felicity looks really cute in that picture and I bet Jordyn is going to be so sad to go home. Imagine going from that relatively calm environment and focused attention to being one of the hoards of kids at the TTH. On another note, how often has Felicity experienced the TTH? I feel like we haven't seen her amongst all of those children since she was mobile. If/when that happens, she's going to be shell-shocked. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Here's a big ass headpiece. And Meech pretending to care.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIOhY5RBYlw/?igshid=1nd2ch4180866

A big-ass flowery headpiece paired with -- a plaid shirt and, um, jeans? Doesn't the outfit kind of undercut the "this is a girly girl just waitin' around until her bridal shower, dammit" message of the headpiece? 

Meeechelle must have dressed her. 

22 hours ago, Suzn said:

Yeah, it is an unusual pairing. Maybe "Evangeline Josephine" raised even more questions about the pronunciation of that last syllable. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Jinger planned the matching outfits well.  They look like possibilities from a couple places my daughter shops.  Felicity is looking all Diana Vuolo these days and that hair is going to set Jessa off if Ivy doesn't keep her curls.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
On 11/28/2020 at 8:00 PM, ehall1052 said:

If I remember high school English class, the epic poem Evangeline by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is pronounced EvangeLYN. However, my grandmother’s name was Karoline and it was pronounced with the long i. 

In my high school English class, the teacher pronounced it EvangeLINE; so there's apparently a variety of opinions on the topic.  Sooner or later, Jer and Jing are going to be putting up a video and we'll learn how they want to pronounce it.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

In my high school English class, the teacher pronounced it EvangeLINE; so there's apparently a variety of opinions on the topic.  Sooner or later, Jer and Jing are going to be putting up a video and we'll learn how they want to pronounce it.

Jing wrote in an insta post its "line". 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ginger90 said:

The “guess what our project is” marketing is so ridiculous.

It seems to be the only one they can come up with. 

12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Actually, it was Jessa. 😊

Guess Jinge will have to change the pronunciation now, since Jessa gave it away. 😁

• LOL 10

Just started the book The Exiles and one of the main characters is named Evangeline. Named by her Vicar father for the Latin word evangelium, meaning gospel. Sounds just like JereMe. Pronounced leen, not line. But again, I feel like the Duggars think they are saying a name one way but it sounds completely different.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

No, it's not you. It's that there are people who pronounce the name all three ways. Some say "line," some say "lean" and some say "lyn." 

They all sound fine to me. I'm baffled by the idea that one of the pronunciations is lower or higher class than another or whatever.

And the whole thing doesn't seem to me like a problem. There are quite a few names that have a couple of widely used pronunciations. This is one of the few names that happen to have three such pronunciations instead of two. And since it's a fairly uncommon name I guess that feels weird to people.

But really it's pretty normal in the name realm. I mean, I know two Carolines (with that spelling). -- One says Caroline (the first and third syllables accented almost equally with a tiny bit more stress on the third) and the other says Carolyn (accent mainly on the FIRST syllable) even though they both spell it the same way. Luckily only one of them gets pissed if some stranger accidentally pronounces her name "wrong." And I definitely like the other woman better, since there's no reason anybody should know how you pronounce your name until you tell them.

Maybe I feel casual about these multiple pronunciations because there's a common name in my family through a few generations that also has three widely used pronunciations and....big deal. They're all perfectly fine. And if it's your name or your kid's name and it matters to you, just tell them which pronunciation you use. And don't cast shade on the pronunciations others choose. 

I don't understand the pronunciation classification either.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Tasya said:

Felicity looks really cute in that picture and I bet Jordyn is going to be so sad to go home. Imagine going from that relatively calm environment and focused attention to being one of the hoards of kids at the TTH. On another note, how often has Felicity experienced the TTH? I feel like we haven't seen her amongst all of those children since she was mobile. If/when that happens, she's going to be shell-shocked. 

Last time Felicity and Jinger were in Arkansas (that we have photographic proof of) was late February/early March. We know they were in Arizona with the twins and JB at some point over the summer.

• Love 1

I know they went to Arkansas but I thought it was at some sort of event/lunch? I can't recall any pictures/videos of her amongst the other kids in one of those situations where there seems to be no supervision at all but the lost girls. I hope they stay somewhat in the public eye just so that I can see how Lissy interacts with her other cousins as she grows up. For Jill's boys is a bit different, because males have more freedom in their world. So Izzy and Sam having more experiences than their male cousins won't be as stark as the differences I expect will exist between Jinger's girls and their female cousins.