Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Jinger and Jeremy are dumbos. Like everything else the Duggars do, this is half ass effort and makes no sense. Jeremy is trying real hard to promote himself as an intellectual of sorts, so whats with the trashy looking baseball hats? I think they would have had more success making some sort of christian daily devotional app, with an extra weekly sermon add on. Or one that follows their podcast.

Or a hope and stead pen and journal since he loves pens so much. The baseball hats are ugly stupid and make no sense with their brand. The candle is weird too. I'm not spending 18 dollars on a candle unless it comes from Anthropologie haha. Also, with the pandemic, people are less likely to spend money on useless crap, but self improvement is a hot market.  It even makes more sense for Jeremy to make a workout app since he was an athlete. There is a personal trainer I know who runs special Sunday fitness group classes that are kind of a combination of worship music/devotional and a workout. I'm not into organized religion these days but if I was, I'd probably attend something like that. 

Jinger could also do her own Christian mom devotional too. There are many other better, cohesive ideas but they require more effort than slapping a logo on a hat. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

It’s like they have a step-by-step manual for baby influencers.

”Step 4: Engage your target audience! Ask questions! Yay!”

ETA: I am intrigued by what a workout/sermon combo would involve. “Faster! Knees higher! If Jesus could come back, you can do this!!!!” “Feel that burn?? That’s what sinners feel in hell! Repent and give me five more reps!” 

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 19
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

It’s like they have a step-by-step manual for baby influencers.

”Step 4: Engage your target audience! Ask questions! Yay!”

ETA: I am intrigued by what a workout/sermon combo would involve. “Faster! Knees higher! If Jesus could come back, you can do this!!!!” “Feel that burn?? That’s what sinners feel in hell! Repent and give me five more reps!” 

🎵God made our head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes
Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes
And He made our eyes and ears and mouth and mouth and nose
Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes

• LOL 14
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I'm ashamed of myself for how much I want to watch this. 🤣

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

And confirming nickname--Evy Jo. 

Evy Jo and Felicity really don't match as sibling names. (Lissy and Evy Jo do a little more but still not really.) Reminds me of TV Tropes's "Aerith and Bob."

Ivy Jane, Evy Jo and Evvie Mae.

And we thought no one could do worse than Jana, Joy-Anna and Johannah or Joseph, Josiah and Josie.

• LOL 23
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Ivy Jane, Evy Jo and Evvie Mae.

And we thought no one could do worse than Jana, Joy-Anna and Johannah or Joseph, Josiah and Josie.

You can take the hillbilly out of the south, but can’t take the hick out of her.

27 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be name-ist and/or accidentally insult anyone’s beloved relative.

But if you’re going to call the kid Evy Jo why bother with Evangeline at all?

Call the kid Ruby Sue and be done with it.

Yep

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I wouldn’t even accept a free gift from them. Just no thanks.

Agreed. 

I don’t see this as providing any long term sustainable income for their brand. How much could they possibly make on random hats and candles?  And how often would people actually think to buy this?  I think it’ll fizzle out quickly and we’ll soon hear nothing more about it. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Jeremy should sell autographed bibles with a fancy pen and a pocket square so I can dabble my eyes. 

Or a fancy leather autographed journal. 

Personally, I’m of the opinion that unless it’s one of the original authors, another apostle, Mother Mary, Mary Magdalene, or the father, son, or the Holy Ghost standing there in a celestial sunbeam and holding a Sharpie, NOBODY should be signing Bibles. NOBODY. It’s sacrilege.

This coming from a card-carrying atheist, no less!

• Love 21
4 hours ago, not you again said:

On behalf of the southern states, I'd like to point out that we don't consider Arkansas to be part of the south.  Jinger is just a hillbilly. 😉 

Except it is part of the South. Not being part of the Deep South doesn't mean it's not historically, geographically, and culturally Southern. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Except it is part of the South. Not being part of the Deep South doesn't mean it's not historically, geographically, and culturally Southern. 

Funny I had this conversation with my husband about Oklahoma not too long ago. He's like no, Oklahoma is not considered Southern. I'm like, well, is TX? He says, of course. I say, yup, and OK sits in the nook of TX. Long story short, in most depictions on the map, AR & OK are considered part of the US's Southern states, although OK less frequently than AR.

• Love 5

Seems like Jer wants to market to the hip and trendy set when he himself is neither.  What he should do is create a line of pocket squares with Bible verses on them, and Jing can do the same with headbands or scarves, etc.  Might as well try and sell what you actually know and see if there's a niche market for it.  But selling four random baseball caps and a single candle makes zero sense.

Incidentally, Jeremy - if you read this and start selling pocket squares, I am going to demand 50% of the profits, which I will then use to purchase a latte at Starbucks.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 16
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Funny I had this conversation with my husband about Oklahoma not too long ago. He's like no, Oklahoma is not considered Southern. I'm like, well, is TX? He says, of course. I say, yup, and OK sits in the nook of TX. Long story short, in most depictions on the map, AR & OK are considered part of the US's Southern states, although OK less frequently than AR.

I actually don't consider either Oklahoma or Texas geographically Southern, but I think the eastern sides of both states are very culturally Southern, with that getting more Western the farther one goes. So, I get why people quibble about it. For me, it depends on which part of those states we are talking about for that reason. But claiming Arkansas is not part of the South is just patently incorrect. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, Zella said:

I actually don't consider either Oklahoma or Texas geographically Southern, but I think the eastern sides of both states are very culturally Southern, with that getting more Western the farther one goes. So, I get why people quibble about it. For me, it depends on which part of those states we are talking about for that reason. But claiming Arkansas is not part of the South is just patently incorrect. 

I hear what you're saying and agree for the most part. I do think of TX and OK as geographically and culturally Southern. I, on the other hand, have a hard time of thinking or our Southern most state of FL as culturally Southern.

And there are a couple of maps that do not include AR in the collection of Southern states.

Can back to add that my mom was from a Podunk town in OK near both the AR and TX borders. She was very Southern in many ways, but lived in New England for all of her adult life.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, awaken said:

I don’t see this as providing any long term sustainable income for their brand. How much could they possibly make on random hats and candles?  And how often would people actually think to buy this?  I think it’ll fizzle out quickly and we’ll soon hear nothing more about it. 

I agree, this seems like a cash-grab to sell some things for holiday gifts

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I hear what you're saying and agree for the most part. I do think of TX and OK as geographically and culturally Southern. I, on the other hand, have a hard time of thinking or our Southern most state of FL as culturally Southern.

And there are a couple of maps that do not include AR in the collection of Southern states.

Can back to add that my mom was from a Podunk town in OK near both the AR and TX borders. She was very Southern in many ways, but lived in New England for all of her adult life.

My master's was in Southern lit,  so I have sat through so many debates and definitions of what is the South. And nobody would ever include Florida! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

One of my friends in the program was an African American from Florida--his family had lived there for generations--and he would get so mad at us for saying Florida wasn't part of the South! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don't really think of it is Southern, but I will defer to my friend Brandon, as a result, and concede it is part of the South. 

But to be back on topic, I have been bewildered by the handful of people I've met who called Arkansas the Midwest. No offense to the Midwest intended, but it's . . . not. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11

Texan here, we are definitely southern, in all the good and bad ways. And Arkansas is definitely southern, I feel like Jinger tries hard to hide that part of her identity now that she's a "breakout star" living in LA. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 10
20 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I feel like Jinger tries hard to hide that part of her identity now that she's a "breakout star" living in LA. 

Agreed. It makes the decision to call their kid Evy Jo even more baffling to me because I really don't see her leaning into that part of her background. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I, on the other hand, have a hard time of thinking or our Southern most state of FL as culturally Southern.

As a native Floridian, I consider north Florida to be southern, however south Florida is not.  Weird huh?  Sometimes we call north Florida south Georgia. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Royal Caribbean canceled all their cruises through February. I suspect RFP’s gig will be toast.

RFP weeps into a Hope and Stead beanie (because he's out of pocket squares). 

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I’ve had that conversation before, too. Texas is considered the south? Seems like it shouldn’t be.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

My master's was in Southern lit,  so I have sat through so many debates and definitions of what is the South. And nobody would ever include Florida! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

One of my friends in the program was an African American from Florida--his family had lived there for generations--and he would get so mad at us for saying Florida wasn't part of the South! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don't really think of it is Southern, but I will defer to my friend Brandon, as a result, and concede it is part of the South. 

But to be back on topic, I have been bewildered by the handful of people I've met who called Arkansas the Midwest. No offense to the Midwest intended, but it's . . . not. 

I live in the Midwest, and Arkansas is not any kind of Midwestern that I’m familiar with 🤣.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I live in the Midwest, and Arkansas is not any kind of Midwestern that I’m familiar with 🤣.

Yeah that one's taken me aback. (And I really don't mean it meanly toward the Midwest--most Midwesterners I've met have been really nice.)

I think people claiming Arkansas is not in the South is rooted in people assuming the Deep South is somehow more authentically Southern than the Upland South, but I think that entire assumption is actually rooted in some pretty classist stereotypes and just good old-fashioned snobbery. (And it ignores that the Arkansas Delta's culture is pretty much as Deep South as, say, Mississippi.) 

I think in background the Duggars (specifically Michelle and JB) are pretty typically suburban Arkansan Southerners other than, you know, the cult they joined--which is not standard. I mentioned this on another thread yesterday, but their accent isn't rural-sounding to me (and I think their own background bears that out). But it is very typical of what I consider--and God this makes me sound like such a hick--a "town accent." Which is not the same as saying someone sounds educated. But it's just not the accent of someone who grew up on a farm around here. 

I am really curious how Jinger frames her background. I remember Michelle's BS about how Jinger's definition of living in a city was living in a town with a WM, ignoring the fact these chucklefucks lived surrounded by WMs and company headquarters. I wonder if she is adopted that narrative herself when she talks about her background in L.A. and makes it sound like she grew up in the equivalent of Mayberry (which is a lie) or if she just avoids mentioning her Arkansas roots as much as possible. I suspect the latter is the most likely. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I am really curious how Jinger frames her background. I remember Michelle's BS about how Jinger's definition of living in a city was living in a town with a WM, ignoring the fact these chucklefucks lived surrounded by WMs and company headquarters. I wonder if she is adopted that narrative herself when she talks about her background in L.A. or if she just avoids mentioning her Arkansas roots as much as possible. I suspect the latter is the most likely. 

They are in LA, the land of reinvention.  And, most likely interacting with other transplants.  I'm sure no one talks about back home and their old lives.  It's all about the person you become in LA.  

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They are in LA, the land of reinvention.  And, most likely interacting with other transplants.  I'm sure no one talks about back home and their old lives.  It's all about the person you become in LA.  

That's very true! Though they seem to be failing "the person you become" test. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I wonder if it's ee-vie rather than eh-vee. 

I'm pretty sure it's Eevie for Evangeline and Ehvee for Evelyn. I think Jessa missed the boat on vowel+vee names by going straight to Ivy instead of using Ivelysse or Ivelyne and calling her Ivy Jane. Maybe Justin & Claire will continue the trend by naming their first Aveleen Jean and calling her Avy Jean.

Sorry, I could make up names for the Duggar grandchildren all day long.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

I thought to post last week wondering why Jer went from the silly suit waiting for coffee type posts and was wearing the backwards hat and sports attire all of a sudden.

my first thought was Bin did that years ago and that look didn't work for him. now it makes more sense. probably giving Jer too much credit on thinking about marketing the silly hats

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 6

First I'm giddy with joy that the opposite Noah's arc isn't going to happen.  I really hate the whole idea of that thing.

Second, Florida starts as North Cuba in Miami and grows into the south as the state goes north into South Georgia by the panhandle.  

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Ha, loving some of the comments..

”sweet, but maybe more helpful if you put camera down and let her grab a cup of water or restroom break.”

”My husband would take the night shift when our daughter was born and had me get some sleep 💕

The comment I saw said 'nightshirt' not nightshift.  Did I read it wrong?

Yeah, that JereME is a prince, isn't he?  

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Second, Florida starts as North Cuba in Miami and grows into the south as the state goes north into South Georgia by the panhandle.

When we lived in the panhandle it was called South Alabama.  It's pretty much the same thing. 

It looks like Jeremy may need to kick up his efforts a couple of gears.  It's all well and good to appreciate one's spouse, but sometimes what you need is the dishes done.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 13

I've lived in North Texas and New Orleans. They are pretty different from one another. I view NOLA as more along the lines of the deep south (like the Gone with the Wind type stuff like plantations) more so than North Texas.

Topic: I do think Jeremy missed the boat about not creating an exercise/sermon program. That sounds pretty awesome for them and for the people who follow them (not that I would get on board personally).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m surprised they are not selling baby items with bible verses on them 

TBH, that would be a way more coherent branding attempt than anything they've actually done. 

• Love 15

When I had my first daughter, my husband took 2 weeks leave. For the second, it fell right before he was to be out of state for 6 weeks. By the third, he could have taken leave, but I suggested he save it. It was more annoying with him there (I didn’t tell him that).

Could be why we’re divorced. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤣😂

• LOL 21