Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Why is Michelle at the doctor's office? Don't they limit the number of people who can come in?

She’s special, so special that she doesn’t even have to wear a mask.  That bandanna IS NOT a mask.  She’s got some kind of nerve calling herself a Christian when she can’t even care about people (babies!) enough to wear a real mask.  The Golden Rule doesn’t apply to MEchelle, apparently.

• Love 12

Like I mentioned before, my middle name is Jo, and my parents are pretty far from hillbilly. My grandma was the only one who called me by my first and middle name. 

Just realized we missed another Duggar bullet. My son’s 13th birthday was Monday. Whew!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, sleepysuzy said:

I think of Jo March, too. Her name was Josephine, but she always used Jo. 

I like Evangeline Jo, but I am a hillbilly, and my kids have names that would be called redneck on these boards, although they are traditional names.

In what may or may not be a reflection of my own hillbilly roots, I wouldn't have judged the name Jolene. 😉

• LOL 11
20 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Is it typical to see the pediatrician so soon after leaving a hospital?

From tangential experience friend and family, yes. Most newborns see their pediatrician within two or three days after discharge. That's pretty normal around me, even with uncomplicated vaginal births. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My guess is they'll call her Lena. Lissy and Lena.

They should, the two names are very complementary and pretty.

2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I prefer short middle name with long first name. 

Christopher Dean vs Christopher Jonathan 

Evangeline Jo vs Evangeline Victoria 

Just my preference 

I have a lot of cousins and one's named Christopher Dean, another is Jonathan Christopher, and still another is Joshua James. When you have a big family there are only so many names to spread around! 😁

• Love 2
1 hour ago, graefin said:

I'm convinced her original name was Amelia, but they changed it once they got scooped 😛

And the kid looks more like the offspring of Joy and Austin than Jer and Jinger. I mean, look at the schnoz on her! 

The reason I guessed Evangeline was because of the Vuolos' (or more correctly Jeremy's) ambition to be an evangelical power couple. At least it's mainstream enough if/when Jeremy ditches that ambition, the kid isn't saddled with a ridiculous name. Thankfully Jeremy didn't decide to hit up the Hebrew section of the baby names book after studying some Hebrew. 

Jo did throw me off though. I really thought Diana would be a part of the name. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

The reason I guessed Evangeline was because of the Vuolos' (or more correctly Jeremy's) ambition to be an evangelical power couple. At least it's mainstream enough if/when Jeremy ditches that ambition, the kid isn't saddled with a ridiculous name. Thankfully Jeremy didn't decide to hit up the Hebrew section of the baby names book after studying some Hebrew. 

Jo did throw me off though. I really thought Diana would be a part of the name. 

Jo+Diana=Jodi 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, louannems said:

Lena was my Grandma's name, short for Magdalena.

I had two great-aunt Lenas.  Short for Paulina.  And my great-grandmother, also Paulina.

Edited by CalicoKitty
more info added
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Jinger looks like she's been crying. I wonder if she's gotten any rest since Evangeline was born.

More likely is that we've just never seen her before without makeup. Also - if she just recently had natural childbirth, her eyes may be puffy from that. Mine certainly were, after all that pushing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, McManda said:

Yeah, this dislike of Jo as a middle name makes me sad, probably only because it's also my middle name, after my grandpa. It's also my niece's middle name, but after her paternal grandma.

To be honest, when I was a kid I wished it would have been Josephine because I thought that's a prettier name and because I thought people would think it was backwoods or hillbilly. It's disheartening to see I wasn't exactly wrong. 

As an adult I like my name because it's mine. I'm not Josephine, I'm Jo, and I'm not upset about it.

My middle name is also Jo. It's also my mom's and my sister's, and my dad and both of my grandfathers were all Josephs. My biggest issue with it is I also have an Italian last name that ends in an O and I've always found my name a bit too sing songy for my liking. 

Evangeline is a cutie, I see Felicity in her. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

Why would a pediatrician allow 3 people in for a baby's first checkup? 

Michelle being there is weird, but my daughter goes to the hospital regularly and they had to stop limiting parents, stepparents & guardians.  Too many custody disputes.  So letting both Jeremy & Jinger in isn’t odd to me.

My guess in this situation is that Doc is a fan.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

41DF9303-12DE-4568-B5FD-9B35B6FCE5E0.jpeg

Ugh, Jeremy pull your freaking mask up, and michelle, a bandanna is not a mask but we appreciate the halfhearted attempt at following precautions for probably the first time ever. I’m also guessing the doc’s office are used to dealing with celebs in LA and give leeway when important selfies must be taken for fans on social media. 

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, awaken said:

I’m also guessing the doc’s office are used to dealing with celebs in LA and give leeway when important selfies must be taken for fans on social media. 

I am going to nitpick that none of those three...not Jeremy, not Jinger and most certainly not Michelle would be considered any kind of celebrity in LA. There are people more famous than they are parking cars between acting jobs.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 19

It looks to me like the picture was taken in the waiting room.  I was at a busy practice a couple of months ago where I had to go in and wait in the waiting room which I was alarmed to discover was filled with far too many people...like families with kids waiting for the patient who was in with the doctor.  While they might have spaced out appointments somewhat, no one was paying attention to the people in the waiting room.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, louannems said:

What a coincidence! That was my husband's grandmother's name, too! She was Swiss. I wonder if Jinger and Jeremy will call the baby "Vangie." "Vangie Vuolo" has kind of a ring to it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, louannems said:

2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I had two great-aunt Lenas.  Short for Paulina.  And my great-grandmother, also Paulina.

I love the name Magdalena! My great-grandmother was named Lena, just Lena. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I am going to nitpick that none of those three...not Jeremy, not Jinger and most certainly not Michelle would be considered any kind of celebrity in LA. There are people more famous than they are parking cars between acting jobs.

Yeah I seriously doubt anyone at that hospital was star-struck with the breakout stars or Michelle. From what I have been told by anyone who has spent any time in L.A. (including my dad, who lived in San Pedro for a couple of years in the 80s and did his fair share of gallivanting around), you inevitably see real celebrities out and about quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the medical staff had no clue who any of them were. 

On the subject of Magdalenas: I have a great-aunt named Magdalene. It's a pretty name (though I like Magdalena a little better), but she's always been called "Magga-leen" by her family, including by her own parents and siblings. She introduces herself to strangers with the correct pronunciation but seems to have given up on anyone else getting it right. (Embarrassing confession: I was an English major in college before I figured out our pronunciation was, um, not standard.)

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I wonder if Jeremy uses the line

Do you know who I am? 

"How dare you tell me to put my mask on--I'm the breakout star of TLC's Counting On! My agent will be hearing about this!" 

• LOL 19
11 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Meech is wearing a fucking bandana, not a secure mask, at a doctor's office. I would have thrown her out.

And Jerm has his mask off completely .. idiots 

Edited by Totally
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My guess is they'll call her Lena. Lissy and Lena.

I agree. My daughter’s name ends in the same sound and we call her Elena (second e long vowel). 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Is it typical to see the pediatrician so soon after leaving a hospital?

Way, way back in the day the first appointment was at one week for breastfed babies and at one month for bottle fed babies. Maybe sooner if there were other concerns.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

But Grandma from out of town and her bullshit bandana can stay in the damned car and NOT potentially infect everyone in the waiting room, the exam room and the restroom

She just such a pain in the ass. She barely cares about her daughter, I doubt she has time for another grandchild.

• Love 17

Fairly recent LA experience with the grandkids was that one kid had to be in the pediatrician's office at 8:00 AM the morning after they left the hospital at 11:00 PM.  He had jaundice and was on the light pad in the hospital plus had a tongue tie. The other child had an appointment the second day after leaving the hospital and had had no complications.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Zella said:

I was one of the ones who criticized the name. As I mentioned earlier, it's not the name on its own, which is cute. It's the way it sounds with Evangeline that people are critiquing. The names just don't go together, in my opinion. If they just named the kid Jo that would seem less weird to me than Evangeline Jo. 

That was exactly my problem with the name Jo - it sounds wrong to me and it seems to have a different feel.  It would be perfectly fine combined with a different name.

• Love 4

I think Jo would have been an adorable first name. I guess Jolene wouldn’t have gone that well with Vuolo, but I think it’s a great name, and Jo is a sweet nickname for a girl.

Actually, I’m corny enough that I think Jojo Vuolo would have been a fantastic name for the baby! “Jojo Vuolo” sounds like a really fun kid! But no way would TFP and Jinger gone for that.

Personally, I like nicknames. They feel cozy and loving to me. But I’ve never had a nickname myself. Actually, my full/legal name traditionally was a nickname... but for a boy’s name that sounds utterly unrelated 🤷🏻‍♀️ Go figure.

Anyway, Evangeline fits the Vuolo’s style and is a beautiful name, but I think it’s too much of a mouthful. Maybe they’ll call her Eva? Although I think Lena or Angie are more likely nicknames, given that they went with Lissy for Felicity. 

• Love 4

Could it be a coincidence between Kody Brown's second grandchild being named Evangalynn, and the Vuolo's naming their daughter Evangeline?  I love the name, by the way.  So lovely and classic.  Myself, I wouldn't have paired it with Jo, but it's the parent's choice in the end, and they have a reason that's as good as any.  The child herself is really pretty, for a newborn, and I'm glad everything went well with the birth, so congratulations to the family.

• Love 6

I guessed Evangeline because it had 4 syllables and the same pretentious, churchy feel as Felicity, although I love both names. Both are rising in popularity; not unknown and not overly common. I changed my guess when Joy had Evelyn and called her Evie because the two little Evangelines I know are both called Evy and Ivy, Evie, and Evy seemed a bit much for 3 cousins so close in age. I guess in a family with Jana, Joy Anna, Johannah, Josiah, Joseph, and Josie it's just not that big of a deal.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Nysha said:

I love the name Magdalena! My great-grandmother was named Lena, just Lena. 

My great-grandma's name was also Lena. 

There's a pretty well know mommy blogger who keeps popping out kids even though she's high risk and is apparently trying to become some kind of martyr, who has a daughter named Evangeline, they cal her Evvie. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I wonder if Jeremy uses the line

Do you know who I am? 

I am the breakout star of Counting on.

*blank stare from whoever Jeremy is talking to*

Hopefully the person staring at him eventually responds "counting on what?"

• LOL 16
2 hours ago, rue721 said:

I think Jo would have been an adorable first name. I guess Jolene wouldn’t have gone that well with Vuolo, but I think it’s a great name, and Jo is a sweet nickname for a girl.

Actually, I’m corny enough that I think Jojo Vuolo would have been a fantastic name for the baby! “Jojo Vuolo” sounds like a really fun kid! But no way would TFP and Jinger gone for that.

Personally, I like nicknames. They feel cozy and loving to me. But I’ve never had a nickname myself. Actually, my full/legal name traditionally was a nickname... but for a boy’s name that sounds utterly unrelated 🤷🏻‍♀️ Go figure.

Anyway, Evangeline fits the Vuolo’s style and is a beautiful name, but I think it’s too much of a mouthful. Maybe they’ll call her Eva? Although I think Lena or Angie are more likely nicknames, given that they went with Lissy for Felicity. 

JoJo Vuolo is a really fun name! Probably too fun for this crowd, but I really like that! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I don't know if this is a regional thing, but folks in my neck of the woods like to 'own' the name of their child. Meaning it would be seen in bad taste for a close friend or family member to name their kid the same name or a variation of the name, as someone else. Even common names. This does not include naming someone after someone else, or re-using middle names. 

I've known folks to try and 'claim' names, before it gets used by someone else, when they're not even pregnant yet.

The names Ivy, Evelyn and Evangeline aren't technically that similar, but those names wouldn't happen in the same family or tight social circles around here.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6