Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm seeing news reports that LA County just issued a new stay-at-home order and banned all gatherings, effective Monday. Not that I expect any of these dunderheads to obey, but I wonder if the out-of-town guests will all vamoose by then. Or if they're even still there. 

We soooo need a “these people are dumbshits” reaction icon on this site...

• Love 16
On 11/26/2020 at 12:13 AM, riverblue22 said:

It looks to me like the picture was taken in the waiting room.  I was at a busy practice a couple of months ago where I had to go in and wait in the waiting room which I was alarmed to discover was filled with far too many people...like families with kids waiting for the patient who was in with the doctor.  While they might have spaced out appointments somewhat, no one was paying attention to the people in the waiting room.

In the medical office building where I work, there are signs as you enter the building that say that everyone must wear a mask and no one may accompany the patient upstairs to the doctor's office without prior consent.  The only people allowed to bring a companion are minor children, those with disabilities requiring assistance and, sometimes, a patient who is having a procedure and wants someone for moral support.  Our waiting area has only about a quarter of the seating we used to have, the rest is in storage.  And the chairs are spaced 6 feet apart and there are signs telling people not to move them.  And, yes, if someone arrives for an appointment and has a guest with them, the reception staff immediately tells them that the visitor has to go.  Same thing if someone arrives not wearing a mask or takes their mask off.

• Love 24
4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Interesting. I know both a Caroline and a Carolyn. Long “i” and short “i” ~ I never even questioned the pronunciation of Evangeline... I assumed it was “Evangeleen.” Please correct me if I am wrong...

Until Jinger or Jeremy actually pronounce the name, nobody on this thread is right or wrong.  

I'd go with the "EvangeLYN" pronunciation, and call her Linnie.  But only their family & friends know at this point. 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Until Jinger or Jeremy actually pronounce the name, nobody on this thread is right or wrong.  

I'd go with the "EvangeLYN" pronunciation, and call her Linnie.  But only their family & friends know at this point. 

Right. The name is pronounced the way they tell us it’s pronounced.

• Love 4

Forget all the baby stuff.  I am just happy that Jordyn got attention. I am not crazy about JereME but I think it is sweet he is giving her attention and making her feel special, probably for the first time. Was her sister mom, Jessa?  You know she didn't feel special ever. So for a moment, I will forget how self centered Jer is and thank him for making Jordyn feel special. The baby is very cute as is  her sister.  Now if they would only quit playing fast and loose with COVID precautions.  Big, sigh.  not going to happen.

• Love 18

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Nearly all social gatherings of individuals from more than a single household will be banned in Los Angeles County for at least three weeks starting Monday under new restrictions local health officials unveiled on Friday, citing a continued surge in COVID-19 infections.

i wonder how long Jinger will have visitors? They should really keep that info off SM.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

i wonder how long Jinger will have visitors? They should really keep that info off SM.

Except their leghumpers eat it up, like, comment, and share and also don't think COVID is that big of a deal.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, rue721 said:

Me, too! And then I sit there trying to remember how to pronounce “stead” and wondering wtf “hope and stead” means

The first thing I can come up with is living your truth or being authentic, like not substituting your thoughts, beliefs or personality with someone else's. But why would they add that? Why not just discuss that as a topic.

Then, because Jeremy is Jeremy, I thought maybe he is getting cutesy and talking about a rotation of guest speakers taking Jinger's place during her break.

In reality Hope and Stead is likely a website for J & J to sell pocket squares, pens, bows and expensive blazers. And they used the word stead because Jeremy likes the sound of it. You know, like Citrus and Lemon.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

In reality Hope and Stead is likely a website for J & J to sell pocket squares, pens, bows and expensive blazers. And they used the word stead because Jeremy likes the sound of it. You know, like Citrus and Lemon.

Yeah, I think it's exactly like Citrus and Lemon. Because that's how dumb they are.

I can't find any evidence that "stead" has any other meaning than the one it has in a word like "homestead" or "steadfast" or a statement like "Alice can't make the meeting so we're sending Susie in her stead." And in those it just means "place." ("Homestead"--a place where you create your home. "Steadfast"--absolutely not budging from a place)

So Jer's named their store "Hope and Place," which makes no sense at all but does clearly demonstrate his writing ability. Writing ability: poor. But we've heard his sermons and read his social media. So we knew that. 

Also demonstrates they're too lazy to look up a word before they use it stupidly as the name of a frigging business

The seminary should stop trying to teach him Greek and Hebrew and concentrate on English. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 16
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

So Jer's named their store "Hope and Place," which makes no sense at all but does clearly demonstrate his writing ability. Writing ability: poor. But we've heard his sermons and read his social media. So we knew that. 

Yup, this name is impenetrable.

I thiiiiiink he means “hope & home,” but instead of saying home like a normal person, or even homestead like a somewhat less normal person, he shortened homestead to ‘stead. Like the fundie version of talking about the ‘hood. 😂 

But honestly, I have no idea what the name is supposed to mean or even really how to say it comfortably. “& stead” is hard to say when stead makes no contextual sense and instead is a perfectly good word.

I also find it funny that every word of their two-word name begs questions. Hope for what? In what’s stead?

I think @Churchhoney is right and he’s just a remarkably bad writer.

• Love 18

It still would have been incredibly clunky, but it might have made a little more sense to have calle it "Hopestead" ( place of hope and play on homestead) rather than Hope and Stead. But that would still be sort of awkward.  

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Will they be selling $50 wedding scrapbooks or $50 baby books? Basically copying Jeremy Roloff. 

Did Jeremy and Audrey liquidate their merchandise? Pay attention Vuolos.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Will they be selling $50 wedding scrapbooks or $50 baby books? Basically copying Jeremy Roloff. 

So basically they could sell one wedding scrapbook to their newly married or engaged leghumpers (maybe what, 10%) and one per baby. But that’s not cheap for their SAH mom with a kajillion kids audience. If they make $15 per album, I’d be surprised. 

Not seeing  any kind of living coming out of this latest cut-rate imitation of Chip and Joanna Gaines (Hearth and Hand, anyone?) I suspect Amazon sells equivalents for half the price, anyway, not that I’m going to go look. Not that bored. 

Just another hook RFP is dangling in the water for the sucker contingent...wouldn’t it just be easier to get an actual job?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Just another hook RFP is dangling in the water for the sucker contingent...wouldn’t it just be easier to get an actual job?

Actual job? Silly. Don’t you know who he is? He is The BREAKOUT STAR of Counting On! He doesn’t need to actually WORK!

• LOL 18
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

So basically they could sell one wedding scrapbook to their newly married or engaged leghumpers (maybe what, 10%) and one per baby. But that’s not cheap for their SAH mom with a kajillion kids audience. If they make $15 per album, I’d be surprised. 

Not seeing  any kind of living coming out of this latest cut-rate imitation of Chip and Joanna Gaines (Home and Hearth, anyone?) I suspect Amazon sells equivalents for half the price, anyway, not that I’m going to go look. Not that bored. 

Your last line?  Surely you jest!  Only the little people get jobs, where, you know, we actually have to WORK.

Seriously, I love your mindset.  I love being old for the simple fact I can express myself, unlike my timid younger self!

Jermy considers himself God's gift to the world.  How does his head fit through a doorway?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 11/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, BitterApple said:

I've known two Evangelines in my life and they pronounced it as "lynn" not "line." I wonder which version Jinger is going with?

My grandma was Angeline (LINE).  I feel sorry for the granddaughter in the Sister Wives family.  The way it is spelled it should be pronounced Evangahline.  I think they just didn't know how spelling works.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

My grandma was Angeline (LINE).  I feel sorry for the granddaughter in the Sister Wives family.  The way it is spelled it should be pronounced Evangahline.  I think they just didn't know how spelling works.

They rilly (BrownSpeak) messed up that darling child's name.  She'll be correcting people her whole life when she has to give her legal name.  

At least JinJer went with a more sensible spelling.  It is a pretty name.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I think it's exactly like Citrus and Lemon. Because that's how dumb they are.

I can't find any evidence that "stead" has any other meaning than the one it has in a word like "homestead" or "steadfast" or a statement like "Alice can't make the meeting so we're sending Susie in her stead." And in those it just means "place." ("Homestead"--a place where you create your home. "Steadfast"--absolutely not budging from a place)

Also demonstrates they're too lazy to look up a word before they use it stupidly as the name of a frigging business

The seminary should stop trying to teach him Greek and Hebrew and concentrate on English. 

The "place" definition is obsolete, according to Merriam-Webster. I'm assuming they're using it as "help" which is one of the definitions.  Regardless, if we're spending this much time thinking about it, it is a fail.

• Love 10
On 11/25/2020 at 10:31 AM, DangerousMinds said:

You can take the girl out of hillbilly Arkansas, but you can’t take the Arkansas out of the girl 🤣. I hate that they named her Evangeline because that’s one of my favorite Matthew Sweet songs. Meh. But of course they will use a nickname (I prefer full names).

Exactly!

I LOVE Matthew Sweet and I love that song and every time I see the name, I hear that song in my head! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xtwheeler said:

The "place" definition is obsolete, according to Merriam-Webster. I'm assuming they're using it as "help" which is one of the definitions.  Regardless, if we're spending this much time thinking about it, it is a fail.

"Help" is the meaning of "stead" when used as a verb! And it's also an archaic usage -- more archaic than the noun form, really, since we still do say "went in her stead" and "homestead." And I can't remember seeing "stead" used as a verb in  anything but stuff written in the renaisaance, pretty much. 

VERB TRANSITIVE

4.  Archaic

to be of advantage, service, or avail to

In any case, though,  Jer  was using it as a noun, since he was linking it to the noun "hope" with "and." ..Or if he was using it as a verb, his grammar is even worse than his grasp of definitions! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Leave it to the Duggalos. It's not a super uncommon name where I'm from and you can either pronounce it the French way eh-VAHN-jay-Lyn or English ee-VAN-gel-een. I've never heard it pronounced -line in my life. I guess I'll have to wait to hear it because I'm more confused than ever now. 

• Love 13
46 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Leave it to the Duggalos. It's not a super uncommon name where I'm from and you can either pronounce it the French way eh-VAHN-jay-Lyn or English ee-VAN-gel-een. I've never heard it pronounced -line in my life. I guess I'll have to wait to hear it because I'm more confused than ever now. 

It’ll be fun to hear them pronounce it, especially because Jinger still can’t quite pronounce Felici-TEE.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • LOL 6
  • Love 12