Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know if this is a regional thing, but folks in my neck of the woods like to 'own' the name of their child. Meaning it would be seen in bad taste for a close friend or family member to name their kid the same name or a variation of the name, as someone else. Even common names. This does not include naming someone after someone else, or re-using middle names. 

I've known folks to try and 'claim' names, before it gets used by someone else, when they're not even pregnant yet.

The names Ivy, Evelyn and Evangeline aren't technically that similar, but those names wouldn't happen in the same family or tight social circles around here.

That's interesting to me about owning the name. Just anecdotally that's never come up in my family, though there may be some private bitterness about it that isn't talked about. I have so many cousins named David that it's hard to keep track, even with nicknames. So it becomes Bruce's Davey and Andy's David to tell them apart. We do sometimes have pragmatic private conversations about how we don't need anymore damn Davids,  but I don't think anyone would consider if theft if it was used again. 

But, you know, that mainly comes up with the boys. I don't really recall people repeating girl names, and they may well be more territorial about that. 

I kind of doubt the Duggars ever have conversations about any of that, but I'm curious if there is any private resentment among the siblings about "stealing" names. 

4 minutes ago, Lunera said:

They are starting some type of business? I'm guessing they'll sell fancy pens and stationary.

Screenshot_20201126-115510_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0f0b1d15ba9472fb8c45106a08dd89ab.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-115525_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0c72bf98aef2bab89aa7788f38cd7077.jpg

Is Jeremy Hope and Jinger Stead? 😉

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Zella said:

JoJo Vuolo is a really fun name! Probably too fun for this crowd, but I really like that! 

I like it, too.  "Get Back" by the Beatles, and "Jojo" by Boz Scaggs are two favorite songs of mine.  

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know if this is a regional thing, but folks in my neck of the woods like to 'own' the name of their child. Meaning it would be seen in bad taste for a close friend or family member to name their kid the same name or a variation of the name, as someone else. Even common names. This does not include naming someone after someone else, or re-using middle names. 

I've known folks to try and 'claim' names, before it gets used by someone else, when they're not even pregnant yet.

The names Ivy, Evelyn and Evangeline aren't technically that similar, but those names wouldn't happen in the same family or tight social circles around here.

That's why I wanted JinJer to choose an M name.  Why should Anna get to claim every name that starts with M?  

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I think the pic with Felicity is awesome.  She’s starting to look like a little girl, instead of a toddler.  Evangeline is a beautiful newborn IMO.

The picture is awesome. Very Rockwellian.

Michelle has come a long way, the outdoor dinner table has wine on it. The picture appears to be the same day because Lissy and Jinger have the same clothes on in the family picture that Jinger posted and that appears to be Michelle behind Lissy. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Michelle has come a long way, the outdoor dinner table has wine on it. 

It’s okay. If anyone gives her any flack, she say “It was really just grape juice!”

Edited by Albanyguy
  • LOL 15
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

It’s okay. If anyone gives her any flack, she say “It was really just grape juice!”

Or "It started out as wine, but I prayed to Jesus and he came by and turned it into grape juice." 

They all have Jesus's ear, you know. 

• LOL 18

Jinger's table has wine on it because the Vuolo parents are there. Makes sense. I hope Michelle feels like an idiot about her views on an occasional wine with a special meal. The Vuolos just have more style and class than Michelle & JimBob...but that's a low bar.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Jinger's table has wine on it because the Vuolo parents are there. Makes sense. I hope Michelle feels like an idiot about her views on an occasional wine with a special meal. The Vuolos just have more style and class than Michelle & JimBob...but that's a low bar.

I once knew an ultra-fundie type. She was married to a guy who was just a little more mainstream, and did, very occasionally, treat himself to a bottle of beer. She didn't drink at all, though she was curious as to what wine tasted like, but since her husband had told her that a person can turn into an alcoholic with their first sip, and he really didn't want her to take that chance, she dutifully abstained. 

Someone once gave them a bottle of wine when they came over for dinner, and although she would never think of opening it, she was thrilled to have it, because she had always thought wine bottles made for such elegant décor.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

No class and no common sense. I believe JB & M once drove miles late at night to find a convenience store that didn't sell alcohol, so they could by milk for the kids.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

Hope and Stead.  What a stupid interesting name. I keep reading it as Hope and Steal.  

That would be fitting. I have a feeling that old adage about being too lazy to work and too nervous to steal applies to Jeremy. 😉 

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

I keep reading the name as Evangeline with a long i - rhymes with dine. Does anyone with the name ever pronounce it that way? I think it goes better with Jo.

I've always pronounced it "leen", I wonder why some names are "leen" and some are "line" even though they're all spelled "l.i.n.e" As for baby Evangeline Jo, I've become acclimated to her name and no longer think Jo is too short and abrupt for Evangeline.

3 hours ago, Panopticon said:

... Am I going to be forced to say something nice about Jeremy because he’s giving Jordyn a little individual attention?

No. He's not doing anything special or out  of the ordinary. She's the only (almost) 12-year-old in the house, just normal interactions with her is giving her more individual attention than she gets at home. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Zella said:

That would be fitting. I have a feeling that old adage about being too lazy to work and too nervous to steal applies to Jeremy. 😉 

I have never heard that expression before and learning it has made my day, not least because it’s just perfection for RFP.

Why do I have the feeling he’s going to get less nervous about that stealing thing? It’s not that big a step from ass kissing and grifting for a living.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

I keep reading the name as Evangeline with a long i - rhymes with dine. Does anyone with the name ever pronounce it that way? I think it goes better with Jo.

That's the way I've always pronounced it. 

• Love 1

I think it’s because the g and the j sounds are so close together...they both sorta stop the flow for a second.

I don’t know if it’s EvangeLYN or EvangeLINE? Same with Caroline. I made the mistake of saying “Hi, Carolyn” once to my boss’s very snotty six-year-old and she whipped around and hissed, “IT’S CAROLINE.” The “you ignorant peasant” was silent, but very much implied. Adorable child, that one...

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

I don’t know if it’s EvangeLYN or EvangeLINE? Same with Caroline. I made the mistake of saying “Hi, Carolyn” once to my boss’s very snotty six-year-old and she whipped around and hissed, “IT’S CAROLINE.” The “you ignorant peasant” was silent, but very much implied. Adorable child, that one...

Oh wow, lyn is a whole other way to say it! There’s leen, line, and lyn.

Hmmm, I think I like lyn the best. 

• Love 3
On 11/25/2020 at 8:30 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Is it typical to see the pediatrician so soon after leaving a hospital?

These days, a lot of pediatrician see kids a couple days after they go home, looking for issues like jaundice or difficulty breastfeeding; because early intervention with those and other newborn issues is very effective and prevents bigger problems.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

Oh wow, lyn is a whole other way to say it! There’s leen, line, and lyn.

Hmmm, I think I like lyn the best. 

Interesting. I know both a Caroline and a Carolyn. Long “i” and short “i” ~ I never even questioned the pronunciation of Evangeline... I assumed it was “Evangeleen.” Please correct me if I am wrong...

• Love 7
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

I don't think this is the house they live in. Wonder who's house they went to this year, last year they went to the Mahoneys. 

• Useful 1
Just now, Westiepeach said:

Interesting. I know both a Caroline and a Carolyn. Long “i” and short “i” ~ I never even questioned the pronunciation of Evangeline... I assumed it was “Evangeleen.” Please correct me if I am wrong...

That’s how I say it 

LEEN

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

These days, a lot of pediatrician see kids a couple days after they go home, looking for issues like jaundice or difficulty breastfeeding; because early intervention with those and other newborn issues is very effective and prevents bigger problems.

And part of that is because they send the babies home so soon after birth. Instead of 3 days in the hospital for a normal vaginal birth. And 5 days for a c-section. As was apparently the case 30 years ago. Gave more time for issues to show up so a visit so soon wasn't needed. 

• Love 2
On 11/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, Lunera said:

They are starting some type of business? I'm guessing they'll sell fancy pens and stationary.

Screenshot_20201126-115510_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0f0b1d15ba9472fb8c45106a08dd89ab.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-115525_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0c72bf98aef2bab89aa7788f38cd7077.jpg

Confused. Thought this was the Flip or Flop woman. The plastic one. Andstead? Anstead?

No big honkin' headbandy bow on the baby! (Probably spoke too soon.)

Edited by drafan
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

No class and no common sense. I believe JB & M once drove miles late at night to find a convenience store that didn't sell alcohol, so they could by milk for the kids.

Didn't J'Chelle protest the opening of a liquor store when Josie was a fragile newborn in the NICU? I hadn't heard about them trying to  find a store that didn't sell alcohol to buy milk. 

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/12/michelle-duggar-protest-has-locals-arms/

Oh, Jinger. Please don't have your priorities warped like your Mother. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

And part of that is because they send the babies home so soon after birth. Instead of 3 days in the hospital for a normal vaginal birth. And 5 days for a c-section. As was apparently the case 30 years ago. Gave more time for issues to show up so a visit so soon wasn't needed. 

That was the case in the early 80's when my daughter was born.  The pediatrician saw her before we left the hospital 3 days after her birth.  Our next checkup with him was when she was 3 weeks old, when I was relieved to find out she had gained a pound (I breastfed her, so was a little worried that she may not have been getting enough.)

Michelle and that bandanna, and RFP having to show off his face, just made me mad.  At least Jin had enough sense to do it right.

• Love 8

Okay, so what pretentious item might come in five pieces? A branded place setting of cheap flatware? 
My editor days were long ago and I know those skills have deteriorated. But that hat that says “HOPE BOLD” makes my inner retired grammarian throw up a little.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

I'm seeing news reports that LA County just issued a new stay-at-home order and banned all gatherings, effective Monday. Not that I expect any of these dunderheads to obey, but I wonder if the out-of-town guests will all vamoose by then. Or if they're even still there. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I think it’s because the g and the j sounds are so close together...they both sorta stop the flow for a second.

This is too funny. My name is Caroline. I met one of my neighbors today for the first time and I introduced myself as Caroline. She looked me straight in the eye and said nice to meet you Carolyn. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3