Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

This is something that I could sadly see her doing again in twenty years, just to try to look "young."

I remember them stating explicitly in "growing up duggar" that they were against dyeing hair, using a misadventure of Jana's to back it up. Guess it's okay now?

• Love 5

I'm not crazy about the color, but I like that she is playing with her style. I like that she shook it up. I like that she did something. Hopefully she can play around with works for her. 

I like that it's another step away from IBLP. I would have liked it a little shorter myself, but all in good time. 

If she's happy with her hair, I'm happy for her. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Is it really much shorter?

I don't think so...her hair never seemed to grow as long as her sisters'. But she definitely got a good trim.

• Love 5

I saw the new blonde Jinger on Instagram and immediately thought of the blonde prediction post on this board. 

I hate it because it confirms she is just as full of shit and fake as her man is. I had a soft spot for Jinger and believed her to be a decent human being with terrible religious beliefs. Now she’s confirmed she’s just another fraud who cares far too much about her physical appearance. Jeremy has been a terrible influence on her, but I’m guessing these two bullshit artists recognized the vain hypocrite just beneath the surface when they first fell in love.

• Love 10
(edited)
22 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Is it really much shorter?

About an inch or two, looks like to me... She probably got the split ends trimmed off. So good for her. A definite step in the right direction. And one that Duggarlings seldom take. 

You'd think there was something in the bible about the hallowed nature of split ends, or something. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm meh on it. It doesn't look horrible but it doesn't look great either. I think she needs a different shade of blonde. It looks like she went for the box dye when she should have gradually worked up to blonde. A lot of stylists are starting to refuse to bleach darker hair. I was very surprised that my sister had to go to 4 different salons before a stylist agreed to bleach and dye her brown hair blonde.

I probably have no room to criticize since I use box dye to get my Jean Grey red hair tho... Nothing wrong with box dye, it's just figuring out your coloring.  

That is not single process boxed blonde.   Her hair would be orange if she went that route. Those dyes cannot lift that much color from her dark brown hair.  My natural hair color is a dark ash blonde that I have been dying ever since the white hairs started growing in over a decade ago.  I have used almost all of the blonde box dyes available at drugstores, and even I rarely get results like that from them.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That is not single process boxed blonde.   Her hair would be orange if she went that route. Those dyes cannot lift that much color from her dark brown hair.  My natural hair color is a dark ash blonde that I have been dying ever since the white hairs started growing in over a decade ago.  I have used almost all of the blonde box dyes available at drugstores, and even I rarely get results like that from them.

Agree. I don't know who has success with box blondes, but they are few and far between.

I am a dark blonde ( used to be super blonde as a kid, eyebrows are blonde ect) and I used to highlight my hair to platinum and would have to go into the salon literally every 6-8 weeks to keep up, and my natural hair is much much lighter than Jinger's

Jinger is in for a very expensive ride. LA salons aren't cheap either- she's probably looking at 300+ easily each time.

I stopped dying my hair so blonde because it was killing both my hair and wallet. I now do balayage once a year and it grows out really well and looks very natural. Much cheaper and easy to maintain. How will Jinger sneak away for 4 hours at the salon every other month once the second blessing arrives???

HOWEVER I love that she tried some thing so different. And  I kind of love this social media war that is happening. Ivy who? LOL

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yeah knowing Jeremy, Jinger went to the salon. It really reminds me of the results of those dyes in the 60s and 70s that my grandma would use though.

It's going to be orange and falling out soon enough though. I'm doubtful that she knows how to properly care for it to make sure that it doesn't go brassy. And even with the best of care it can go brassy, happened to my sister and that's why she's no longer Gwen Stefani blonde.

• Love 5

Jinger's hair will probably tone down after a few washings. She's going to be shocked the first few times she looks in the mirror. 

The Duggar females have sent such convoluted messages about their appearance that Jinger dyeing her hair can be seen in a number of ways. Who knows what interpretation is correct.

I'm going to go with a typical 20 something behavior. My prediction is she'll go back to brunette sooner than later. I just wonder if we'll have to watch her hair color grow out inch by inch by inch by inch.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I saw the new blonde Jinger on Instagram and immediately thought of the blonde prediction post on this board. 

That post must’ve stuck out like a sore thumb because I ran straight here after I saw the picture to see who “called it!”  Funny that we all remember it so well.  

• Love 11
(edited)

Her new hair color is growing on me. (Ha ha, just realized my choice of words.)  I would have gone with more golden tones but that's me.  I wish she would have taken a picture from the front & not just from the back with her body twisted around. But I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of those with her hanging on Babe's arm. 

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
(edited)

I don't think the act itself is shallow. I think it was utterly predictable with the move to LA and "the real big city".

Not going to say it is disappointing or whatever but it's another edition of "Fundies! They're just like us!" when Jinger goes for a shocking color change.

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 16
(edited)

Let me clarify. I didn’t mean dyeing hair blond automatically equals fake as shit. I meant Jinger has been on the image train for a good long while and this blonde hair is another big step in that direction. It’s just a pattern of image conscious behavior that confirms (for me) that she’s no different than her Jeremy. Of course, her version of the “perfect couple show” is different than her parents because she’s young and “modern,” but it’s still the same old show. It’s the “Look at me and my perfect everything” show that grates.  

In short, Jinger is social media influencer who carefully curates the perfect image to sell her brand. And because her brand is fundie, she bugs me even more. 

Edited by Fallacy
  • Love 24
1 minute ago, gonecrackers said:

I think some golden highlights or balayage would've been more flattering. This color is a bit extreme & looks too fake. JMO

There was a Christian comedian who used the term "Bible Barbie", & that's what I'm thinking of now when I see her LOL.

My thoughts exactly. 

No problem with hair dye but this is really blonde! I hope Jinger can maintain it because such a huge change is a big commitment. 

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Reverend Fancy Pants has a kink for blonde hair. 

I think so too. Jinger already looks like she's teetering on the edge of underweight and now she has an extreme dye job. I think Jeremy wants the stereotypical L.A. trophy wife and subtly nudged her in that direction. 

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think so too. Jinger already looks like she's teetering on the edge of underweight and now she has an extreme dye job. I think Jeremy wants the stereotypical L.A. trophy wife and subtly nudged her in that direction. 

Yeah. That's where I am at. I think Bible Barbie is apt here. "You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere. Imagination, life is your creation."

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

ITA that dyed hair doesn’t make a person shallow.

What’s different here is that we know that Jeremy is a Pretentious Famewhore for Jesus who is all about appearances. His “calling” is roughly a half-inch deep.

Jinger seemed to be far more authentic and she was a naturally pretty and slender girl before she got hooked up with this tool.

Now she’s gone LA blonde and seems to be getting completely sucked in to selfie culture. To paraphrase what someone up thread said, where is any evidence that their much ballyhooed religion is anything but a cheap branding tactic? Deeds, not words.

As always with the Duggars, it’s the hypocrisy that grinds.

To quote some of my beloved Catholic friends:  "Bingo"

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Meh, sometimes a dye job is just a dye job. 

I didn't start colouring my hair until I was in my 50s but my daughters started doing it in their teens (they both started university with blue hair), along with all their peers, just for shits and giggles. It's a fun and fairly low commitment way to play. At least Jingle isn't afraid to try something new.  

• Love 20

I've said this before, way back. I wonder if it's Jinger who is doing all these changes or Jeremy who is saying "wear shorts, wear pants".  Now she is light blonde. 

Are these Jinger's true ideas and feelings?  Or is this Jeremy calling the shots? Or is this Jinger just submitting to Jeremy which is no different than how she was raised...she is just submitting to a more modern man. 

People are very quick to congratulate Jinger on finally being free but we have no idea on who is making these changes and why. 

I think there is a lot more to "being free" than wearing shorts on instagram. For all we know, Jinger might hate shorts (like many women) and does it just to please Jeremy.  So that is not a free Jinger at all.  It's exactly the same as she was raised. 

Obviously we don't know their personal lives and it's just a fun snark board...but these are the things I think about. 😃

• Useful 2
  • Love 20

I don't see Jinger's dye job as being any different than the perms and sausage curls she used to sport back in the day.  I fail to see how this is different than the views they used to spout back during 19 Kids, their books, etc.  If Jinger is doing this for Jeremy, then she is just being an obedient wife who is following her headship's order.  I truly hope this is not the case, but this is consistent with their beliefs.  

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Reverend Fancy Pants has a kink for blonde hair. 

Jeremy loves blonde hair. I love Jeremy.  I love blonde hair. 

I hope that is not actually the case and Jinger just wanted to try something new and perhaps was inspired by all the LA blondes. I have my doubts though. I suspect @Marigold is correct and Jeremy is behind the change. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 7
(edited)

If dyed hair = full of shit and fake, and a fraud who cares too much about her physical appearance? Well, hand me my gasoline-soaked undies and put me on that bus bound for hell. Because apparently I've been faking and frauding my way through life all these years.

Scoot over, because I'm right beside you on that bus. I have dyed my hair for more years than I can count, because I like to change it up and it's fun. Hopefully Jinger is changing hers up for the same reason and not because Jeremy wants her to. I feel like growing up Duggar stunted all of the girls and Jinger is doing things we might normally expect a high school or college girl to do. To me, this is her catching up. 

Blonde hair dye is not necessarily a gateway drug to Botox, Lipo, Lip fillers or boob jobs.  

And what's wrong with Botox, lipo, fillers, and boob jobs? Absolutely nothing, if you are doing it for yourself. I'm uncomfortable with this attitude that changing the way you look is somehow wrong. If it makes you happy and it's not hurting anyone else, who cares?

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 15
(edited)

I don't think her being thinner than before has to have something to do with Jeremy's preference. Two of my friends lost a lot of weight after giving birth and it took them ages to get back to their normal weight. They didn't want to loose the pregnancy weight so rapidly but breastfeeding, lack of appetite because of the lack of sleep, all the stress of a baby just made them underweight. And I can tell you, the comments from other people weren't nice at all.

Some people also commented that they should do their part and that at least Jill and Derick went and did missionary work. I am happy about every hardcore religious person who isn't going the missionary route. We can see what happened in Brazil, now that Evangelicals took over, and I have even met American missionaries in my part of Germany! I mean I am happy about American tourists but you can keep your crazy hardcore religious people on the other side of the pond! I am really happy being on the wrong path with my Catholic faith and I don't think a lot of Germany are open to their ideas. I don't know how much community work Jinger and Jeremy are doing but I am sure they could do more. Maybe it's me being raised as a Catholic in a country with amazing, beautifully and expansively decorated churches and houses for priests, but I don't mind priests having a nice house and nice clothes. They are not monks or nuns promising poverty. As long as he does his job and doesn't expect his parish to pay for their additional stuff, they can do what they want IMO.

Edited by Dirndl
  • Love 19
(edited)

I am currently reading this board while sitting at the hairdresser’s salon while my color processes.  😄. I’m just covering gray though. No blonde for me. I have very dark hair also.  Even blonde highlights were too much work when I tried them in my early 30s. 

3 hours ago, Fallacy said:

Let me clarify. I didn’t mean dyeing hair blond automatically equals fake as shit. I meant Jinger has been on the image train for a good long while and this blonde hair is another big step in that direction. It’s just a pattern of image conscious behavior that confirms (for me) that she’s no different than her Jeremy. Of course, her version of the “perfect couple show” is different than her parents because she’s young and “modern,” but it’s still the same old show. It’s the “Look at me and my perfect everything” show that grates.  

In short, Jinger is social media influencer who carefully curates the perfect image to sell her brand. And because her brand is fundie, she bugs me even more. 

I could see this. All the Duggars seem very image conscious and want everyone to think they are perfect because they are so Godly. Some are more successful regarding their images than others. To me, Jill is the worst. Jinger has Jeremy to guide her so she seems to be doing better. Jeremy is the worst spouse, IMO, as far as being obsessed with his image and I think he does influence or encourage Jinger regarding her own image. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

My goodness. It's a hair dye job.

My hair is dyed - by a good stylist/colorist - and has been for years. 

If dyed hair = full of shit and fake, and a fraud who cares too much about her physical appearance? Well, hand me my gasoline-soaked undies and put me on that bus bound for hell. Because apparently I've been faking and frauding my way through life all these years. You know, those years I worked my *ss off in a professional career for which I did what was needed to maintain an appropriate and I hope pleasant appearance in the workplace. Including clothing and personal grooming. 

IOW, we're all entitled to our opinions, which is what makes this forum so much fun. In my opinion, Jinger's still the same fundie bigot as ever, still married to Reverend Pretentious Pants, and still the mother of a cute little tot. But now a blonde fundie bigot, etc. I hope she has fun with the hair and fashion. 

ETA: Over in the Dullards' forum there's been a detailed discussion of Jill's deficiencies in caring for her hair. Ironic.

I have only had my natural hair color for about 2 years since I was 12.  I have no issues with anyone coloring their hair.  I just think they went too light on her and I would have done more lowlights if I were her stylist.  The cost of keeping that up in LA though will cost a pretty penny unless she goes to a cheap salon and who knows how that will turn out.  Which is another reason she should have not gone that light.  You can go longer between coloring.  One thing is for sure.  Her sisters won't be able to replicate that by watching a Youtube video.  Good highlights takes a lot of skill and none of them will be able to buy the good products since they are not licensed.  With her hair being processed she SHOULD also buy good products.  Makes a world of difference.

• Love 10

I think this would have been less of a pearl clutching moment for people had Jinger gradually gone blonde. I refer you to Katie Couric (among many) who used to be a brunette and over the years gradually went lighter and lighter and is now blonde. Barbara Walters did the same thing a decade earlier. And I’m pretty sure none of the Kardashian’s are naturally blonde...

For the record, my hair has been many, many different colors. I am now blonde, too! 

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Dirndl said:

I don't think her being thinner than before has to have something to do with Jeremy's preference. Two of my friends lost a lot of weight after giving birth and it took them ages to get back to their normal weight. They didn't want to loose the pregnancy weight so rapidly but breastfeeding, lack of appetite because of the lack of sleep, all the stress of a baby just made them underweight. And I can tell you, the comments from other people weren't nice at all.

Jinger was very thin when they got married and she stayed thin during the first year they were married until she was pregnant with Felicity. I think it's her.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 13
20 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think if she kept the brunette and went for an ombré with a darker, honey-toned hue, it would've looked really pretty, but Baywatch Barbie blonde just doesn't fit her. 

I don't have an issue with people trying something new, but why do I get the feeling Jeremy was behind this? It's an extreme change and I find the timing interesting. Jinger had two years in Laredo to do whatever she wanted with her hair, but she waits until L.A. to go for a makeover? 

I agree - I think she called this balayage but it's really not. Doing a blonde Balayage would have been really pretty and left her dark roots so that it would be a gradual transition. 

It's a pretty blonde but also a really in your face type of change. I need other pictures to tell if I like it or not.

• Love 8

Carlin went blonde last year. Whoever did her hair (probably Josie) did a good job finding the perfect shade of blonde for her skintone.

Or maybe JerMe Jinger just wanted the fake bleach blonde hair look. 

Screenshot_20190606-222720_Instagram.thumb.jpg.85cd3cc1dfc3acfddff265423c5c6526.jpg

Screenshot_20190606-223146_Instagram.jpg.f352f41491e9cf06b5d0bcbe9f376d33.jpg

Screenshot_20190606-221251_Instagram.jpg.c818bbef3148d7fb8e1a58df6bbcb84d.jpg

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah this is why I joked about the boob job. I don't think someone dying their hair is wrong or that it leads to plastic surgery. It just seemed like such a quick hop on the "stereotypical L.A. trophy wife" train that made my mind go there. 

I also don't think she's just playing around with her hair color simply because their social media presence is way too cultivated and curated for them to do that. I don't think anything they post doesn't have some underlying intention. Or at least that is the impression they often try to give. I'd have an easier time seeing Joy or even Jill dying her hair as just playing around or experimenting than Jinger doing it. 

Edited to add: I think they have shot themselves in the foot with Jeremy posting all of his preening, look-at-me shit. Now, anything they do, no matter how innocent, is going to be viewed through that lens. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 19

The color is too harsh, and I agree balayage would’ve looked better, but I think it’s fine that Jinger is trying a different look. It doesn’t seem like a monumental revelation on her character to me. Even if she did it because Jeremy likes blondes... okay? She seems happy with it. They’re married. I think it’s fine if people want to make slight changes in their appearances to please their spouses. If my husband decided to get on the beard trend, there would be a discussion. 

I can just imagine the swell of nitpicking and jabs at their motives if these two did post pictures of themselves doing whatever work it is that Christians are supposed to do according to the internet. There is no possible way they’d do it that wouldn’t be criticized. One part of Christian doctrine is that members of the church are parts of a Body: some are the hands, the feet, the eyes, etc. Some are gifted with serving others and feeding the poor, and others with intellect and study so they can dig deeper into scripture and teach. There’s nothing wrong with that in a doctrinal sense. Some may object to Jeremy’s particular style of doing so, but he’s not Failing at Jesusing just because he’s not handing out sandwiches to the homeless. 

For those who wondered about the stack of books labeled with books of the Bible: they’re concordances. They have background notes, cultural context, information about vocabulary in the original language, references to other related scriptures, etc. They do serve a purpose, and I’ve never heard of a scratch ‘n’ sniff version and would be terrified of how that might smell. 

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I find some of it odd. I remember saying a while back that it seemed like you couldn't say a negative thing about the Vuolos. I think we're starting to swing back into that territory. Just because they look like us doesn't mean they are just like us.

I think Jeremy has recently eroded a lot of the goodwill the Vuolos initially built up. All of his pretentious posturing has not been a good look. 

• Love 24