Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Puffin said:

Who wouldn’t want that kind of money just to be followed around by a camera crew.

And then have your entire life put under the microscope on the Internet.  Sure, they don't need to share as much as they do, but whenever they post a photo, every little aspect is criticized and discussed.  Can't put a price on that.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

And then have your entire life put under the microscope on the Internet.  Sure, they don't need to share as much as they do, but whenever they post a photo, every little aspect is criticized and discussed.  Can't put a price on that.

I agree I’m a private person so I would hate it regardless of the money, however JB is a famewhore and he’s made some of kids famewhores like him too. Some of them probably like being discussed online even if some of it is negative they’re those, no news is bad news type of people, I guess if no one is talking about them online they probably feel upset and that people have forgotten them already. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

I'm thinking Chuck Vuolo may have given/handed down some of Rev. JFP's book sets? Chuck may feel he no longer needs them on hand if he hasn't used them in years. 

Sure. He may have passed on some!

But Chuck is only in his mid-60s and clearly considers himself a public intellectual. He gives a ton of very bookish sermons on an expanding array of topics.

So I think the supposition that his own books sit on the shelf never used is questionable. As far as I can tell from listening to some of his sermons and to Jer's, Chuck's the one who actually reads his books and looks things up in them! 

He's got audio of 147 of his lectures and sermons in the 2000s up online here and he continues to sermonize.   https://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?currPage=1&keyword=Chuck^Vuolo&SpeakerOnly=true&currSection=sermonsspeaker&AudioOnly=false&SortBy=oldest

He doesn't know the correct usage of "it's" and "its." But his sermons are pretty bookish and he clearly sees himself as a scholar of scripture, theology, the Middle East, the duties of pastors, the culture and psychology of gender roles, history, church history, biblical language and more. Somebody like that isn't going to hand on hundreds of books to somebody else while he's still alive, kicking and writing, seems to me. 

I've always thought that one of Jer's motivations for his career choice is probably to be like Chuck. But I don't think Chuck would be Chuck if he said, "Here, take my books. I don't use 'em any more"! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

But that's $25K - $41K an episode for everybody, and when you start dividing it up it's not a lot. Especially now that there a just a few episodes each season. I'd like to think that Boob doesn't get his hands on most of it since the show features just some of his (adult) children. I'd like to think that each of the kidults gets paid directly by the production company or TLC or whoever cuts the checks.

Let's say the pay (appearance fees, as I understand what it is) is divided roughly equally into five parts: one each for the Seewalds, the Vuolos, Josiah/Lauren, Joe/Kendra, and the rest of the family. That becomes roughly $5K to $8.5K per couple, times how many episodes, which these days is what, six per year? Even at nine episodes a year, that's nice money but not fabulous money, and that's before taxes.

OTOH it's possible that Boob has all the kidults so firmly under his thumb that they all consented to work through some Boob-created entity with which the production company or TLC contracts directly. I just can't see Jeremy going along with that nonsense, though. Hmm. . . 

I wish Derick weren't so crazy and totally unbelievable. He did say that he and Jill were "volunteers" on the show which I do not believe for a hot minute. Another Hmm. . . 

That's not living in LA money.  I can see how the Arkansas clan can survive on that amount but the Vuolos better be bringing in much more than that if they are going to live in anything other than a studio apt in LA.  I am in SB and a coworker was paying $2450 for a studio (which is pretty high for this area) but a 2 bed is well over 3K/mo.  Can't buy much else if they really are making only about 5K-8K/ep (or around $35K-$56K/year if there are 7 eps/season).  This is taking into account the total salary is divided by 5 (Vuoloas, Seewalds, Forsyths, Jendra, Laursiah).  I think JimBoob and Meechelle are taking some for 'management fees' and I would guess they are floating SOME to the bastard known as Josh.  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Natalie68 said:

That's not living in LA money.  I can see how the Arkansas clan can survive on that amount but the Vuolos better be bringing in much more than that if they are going to live in anything other than a studio apt in LA.  I am in SB and a coworker was paying $2450 for a studio (which is pretty high for this area) but a 2 bed is well over 3K/mo.  Can't buy much else if they really are making only about 5K-8K/ep (or around $35K-$56K/year if there are 7 eps/season).  This is taking into account the total salary is divided by 5 (Vuoloas, Seewalds, Forsyths, Jendra, Laursiah).  I think JimBoob and Meechelle are taking some for 'management fees' and I would guess they are floating SOME to the bastard known as Josh.  

Good point. And I think the money problem's even a little more intense.

Don't JD and Abbie get some money now, too? Their wedding was featured, after all. 

And do Jana and the twins not get paid anything just because they're unmarried? They've been semi-featured in promos at times....

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Good point. And I think the money problem's even a little more intense.

Don't JD and Abbie get some money now, too? Their wedding was featured, after all. 

And do Jana and the twins not get paid anything just because they're unmarried? They've been semi-featured in promos at times....

OH YEAH!  I forgot Jabbie.  Plus they are having kids left and right so either med insurance or med bills (explains home births).  I am wondering if the kids are having to get medicaid/foodstamps.  Taking taxes into account they aren't bringing in much for selling their lives to TLC.

• Love 4
On 5/29/2019 at 11:03 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

I work in a bakery and we make donuts for a bunch of churches on Sunday morning. A St Pat's and a St Thomas More for sure. The St Thomas More one also had a few pancake breakfasts as well because they would tell us they didn't need the donuts for that morning.

We usually have coffee, lemonade, cookies and bags of pretzels in the parish hall so we can have a snack after Mass.  There is sometimes a breakfast for the choir, but it is over 45 minutes before the Mass begins so there can be a quick rehearsal before.  Parishioners can also attend the breakfast, but everyone is chased out about 30 minutes before the Mass so the one hour rule is met.  Seems to work okay.  

On 5/30/2019 at 3:46 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Jeremy posts about books and throws in some Latin so we can be impressed with his obviously superior intelligence.

Drink!

I think this picture is cute, but the she looks a little uncomfortable or nervous in the one sitting in front of the bookshelf.  I also like the one with the whole family;  I like Jinger's dress and shoes. 

I hate to think I need to brush up on my Latin to read Jeremy's post.   Hey, since Derrick is in law school he will be learning Latin phrases, too.   I can imagine them both tossing Latin expressions at each other like a table tennis match to see who sounds smartest.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I suspect someone in L.A. is giving them free or heavily discounted housing. Jeremy strikes me as the type who's very skilled in sucking up to the right people. 

I'll get you a rental for a nice discount, Jer.

And you post lots of glowing, fun photos and enticing messages about my church and university on your and Jingle's instagram accounts to spread the word about us to over a million (just saying that number gives me chills!) of your fans.

Oh, and don't forget to photograph me and my wife with that little irresistible Felicity. Take that, Western Association of Schools and Colleges! J.A.M. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
10 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't see any busts in those before pictures ... He definitely went on a bust binge.

Seems to me that's the real tell about his being decorator crazy and the hell with costs.

Unlike with the books, you can't make any argument that you need  the busts. So somebody who had any concept of a budget when they're just starting a career, plan on getting more education and are starting a family would accumulate those busts and other doodads over a longer period of time. Jer bought himself the office of somebody who's been in the ministry for 15 years right out of the gate. 

So he can take selfies sitting in it. 

Because if he's been busy counseling people there, as he claims, where are the additional comfortable chairs for them to sit in and the small table where you put the coffee or water that the pastor would offer them to drink? 

His office is primarily the stage set for his greater glory. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

The difference between his apartment and their home is like what someone foolishly does when they recently received a significant raise or won the lottery. Thinking they have all kinds of disposable income when really it's not that much over time without some good money management.

They'll be broke in no time, IMO.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

The difference between his apartment and their home is like what someone foolishly does when they recently received a significant raise or won the lottery. Thinking they have all kinds of disposable income when really it's not that much over time without some good money management.

They'll be broke in no time, IMO.

This is what I see, too, and that's why I think it was an inheritance. They just went from zero to tossing money around in no time flat. Aside from the house, and the car, and the library, and the clothes, didn't Jeremy buy Jinger a piano (new) for her birthday? I wonder if there was a stipulation on the money that it would be paid out after he married?

Jeremy may think of these things as "investments," but there is little re-sale value in theological texts and busts -- and you can't give away a piano.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

This is what I see, too, and that's why I think it was an inheritance. They just went from zero to tossing money around in no time flat. Aside from the house, and the car, and the library, and the clothes, didn't Jeremy buy Jinger a piano (new) for her birthday? I wonder if there was a stipulation on the money that it would be paid out after he married?

Jeremy may think of these things as "investments," but there is little re-sale value in theological texts and busts -- and you can't give away a piano.

I think it's TLC money. Jeremy went from a single small time preacher to a married cast member on a reality show. Probably from $30,000 a year to maybe double that in TLC money. Obviously this is all based on speculation but if he went from $30,000 to $90,000 he may feel he has all kinds of money.

But like most things, this too shall pass and at the rate they're spending money, they'll have nothing but whatever income they're able to make once TLC ends the show.

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, Lunera said:

This is post from a while back but JerMe had advertised for Banner of Truth several times and they have given him tons of book collections. 

Lol what a douche.

Jinger may be getting a break while Jeremy spends time with his books.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Lunera said:

This is post from a while back but JerMe had advertised for Banner of Truth several times and they have given him tons of book collections. 

Lol what a douche.

Douche indeed..... He has all their books tagged in his Self Portrait In My Study photo, too.  Doing his job as an influencer....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

Lol what a douche.

That second picture made me laugh my ass off. He looks high. LOL

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Thanks, @Natalie68 and @Churchhoney, for fixing my omissions of the Duggar second generation couples. I forgot the Forsyths and JD/Abbie when I wrote my post this morning. (It didn't look quite right but I couldn't figure out what I'd left out and was out of time to sit at the computer and think about it, lol.)

So yes, that makes six couples who presumably would divide the the total family fee (whatever it is) in some fashion. Plus, as mentioned, Jana and the other unmarrieds/minors, and then there are JB and Michelle. I don't know how the appearance fees work, if any appearance (except I presume in a crowd scene or among those in the pews at a wedding) at all draws a set fee, or there's a sliding scale of fees based on participation in the show, whether you're featured, etc.

I don't know how reliable the numbers are, in that article that sparked this discussion. But if the Duggar family in total is getting paid something in the quoted range ,it just doesn't amount to great money when split up. As @Natalie68 said, livable bucks for Arkansas or Laredo perhaps. But not so much for LA. 

Oh, and lest we forget: Derick said that he and Jill appeared on the show as "volunteers." Allrighty then. I suppose they donated their time because it was part of their ministry? 🤣

• Love 8
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Do Calvinists get high? 

The ones I knew got high on their own misguided sense of superiority. . . .

So, he's probably just high as fuck on himself in that picture. LOL But more so than usual. 

I am surprised he posted that unflattering of a picture. He looks like the minister version of Gomer Pyle.

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 16
  • Love 3

Regarding income: I know nothing about social media. Are they making any money from their social media posts (cute baby pics, recipes etc) or from all their posts advertising clothing and other crap?  If so,  maybe that money added to what TLC pays them, is funding their lifestyle. 

Even if that is so, I agree that they are not being smart with their money, wherever it came from, and it will run out quickly if they are not careful. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Thanks, @Natalie68 and @Churchhoney, for fixing my omissions of the Duggar second generation couples. I forgot the Forsyths and JD/Abbie when I wrote my post this morning. (It didn't look quite right but I couldn't figure out what I'd left out and was out of time to sit at the computer and think about it, lol.)

So yes, that makes six couples who presumably would divide the the total family fee (whatever it is) in some fashion. Plus, as mentioned, Jana and the other unmarrieds/minors, and then there are JB and Michelle. I don't know how the appearance fees work, if any appearance (except I presume in a crowd scene or among those in the pews at a wedding) at all draws a set fee, or there's a sliding scale of fees based on participation in the show, whether you're featured, etc.

I don't know how reliable the numbers are, in that article that sparked this discussion. But if the Duggar family in total is getting paid something in the quoted range ,it just doesn't amount to great money when split up. As @Natalie68 said, livable bucks for Arkansas or Laredo perhaps. But not so much for LA. 

Oh, and lest we forget: Derick said that he and Jill appeared on the show as "volunteers." Allrighty then. I suppose they donated their time because it was part of their ministry? 🤣

I think that they all "volunteered" on xx Kids and Counting, but they could be getting paid separately on Countin On.

Personally, I don't think they are. I think that JB negotiated a rate with TLC and all of that money goes to "Duggar Enterprises" and he doles out money as he sees fit. TLC has zero interest in a half a dozen separate contracts for a single show, and JB has 100% interest in retaining control over his offspring.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Lunera said:

Lol what a douche.

I feel like Jer in the second picture when I get my shipment of used  novels from Thriftbooks.com.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, EVS said:

Regarding income: I know nothing about social media. Are they making any money from their social media posts (cute baby pics, recipes etc) or from all their posts advertising clothing and other crap?  If so,  maybe that money added to what TLC pays them, is funding their lifestyle. 

Even if that is so, I agree that they are not being smart with their money, wherever it came from, and it will run out quickly if they are not careful. 

I think it's hard to tell what they're making from their social media. Ultimately, it depends on how successfully they inspire their followers to buy stuff and that may depend on the nature of your followers and whether they're actually interested in what you're pushing as much as on what you put out there. They could be making $50,000 or 50 cents.

I think most people who are successful affiliates tend to stick to one broadish but still limited category of goods and then go all out both in being "experts" of a kind while also being -- or pretending to be -- very "personal" with their followers. That's not all that easy to do. Jingle and Jer seem more savvy than some, but I wonder whether either of them really has the personality for it. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Does Jeremy realize that Latin is the language of the Roman Catholic Church?

My sense of his crowd is that they basically declare that they are Christ's true believers and everybody else was/is just a flaky -- or demonic -- aberration. So they can lay claim to anything they want since they've had the truth all along. 

That's an attitude most other branches of Christianity gave up sometime in the last century (or at least decided to keep under wraps), but these guys still want to fight the old battles.

It's mainly a sign that their discomfort with the modern world of diversity is even stronger than other people's, I think. Most branches of Christianity had a lot of trouble with this -- for centuries. But I think this belief system must attract more people whose personalities balk at accepting human differences as okay and potentially valid instead of aspiring to snuff them all out and "win." 

• Love 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

My sense of his crowd is that they basically declare that they are Christ's true believers and everybody else was/is just a flaky -- or demonic -- aberration. So they can lay claim to anything they want since they've had the truth all along. 

That's an attitude most other branches of Christianity gave up sometime in the last century (or at least decided to keep under wraps), but these guys still want to fight the old battles.

It's mainly a sign that their discomfort with the modern world of diversity is even stronger than other people's, I think. Most branches of Christianity had a lot of trouble with this -- for centuries. But I think this belief system must attract more people whose personalities balk at accepting human differences as okay and potentially valid instead of aspiring to snuff them all out and "win." 

I was thinking about this last night. I watched the 3 hour Jonestown documentary that aired last year on Sundance. (Word to the wise: don't watch all of it in one night like I did.) I find Jonestown fascinating and have read several books about it--including the one the documentary is based on--and watched a lot of documentaries about it.

One thing that always strikes me as being so sad about the whole thing is how many people were initially attracted to Peoples Temple because they thought it was a force for good. They were impressed by the racial equality and diversity and the good work they seemed to be doing in the community. It all ended horribly, of course, but I do think a lot of the folks had good intentions when they joined. 

That has never seemed to be the case of the Duggars or their adjacents for embracing Gothard or just the strict fundamentalism. It's never from any sense of idealism about creating a better world or even really being a good person They smugly claim to be good people, but their actions don't reflect that. It is all about control and their own fear of the outside world. 😞 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 23
28 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was thinking about this last night. I watched the 3 hour Jonestown documentary that aired last year on Sundance. (Word to the wise: don't watch all of it in one night like I did.) I find Jonestown fascinating and have read several books about it--including the one the documentary is based on--and watched a lot of documentaries about it.

One thing that always strikes me as being so sad about the whole thing is how many people were initially attracted to Peoples Temple because they thought it was a force for good. They were impressed by the racial equality and diversity and the good work they seemed to be doing in the community. It all ended horribly, of course, but I do think a lot of the folks had good intentions when they joined. 

That has never seemed to be the case of the Duggars or their adjacents for embracing Gothard or just the strict fundamentalism. It's never from any sense of idealism about creating a better world or even really being a good person They smugly claim to be good people, but their actions don't reflect that. It is all about control and their own fear of the outside world. 😞 

So true about both groups, I think. 

Depressing how badly things can go, no matter which way you start out. But I guess that reflects how terrifyingly easy it is for a human to go paranoid and control mad, no matter who they are. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Zella said:

I remember when they found the bodies in Jonestown. Since than I have read everything I can on it and watched pretty much everything as well. I honestly wonder if Jones started out trying to do good and his mad side took over or if he was a manipulative evil man from the start. PT started out doing good things, that is how you suck people in who have nothing and hook them. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember when they found the bodies in Jonestown. Since than I have read everything I can on it and watched pretty much everything as well. I honestly wonder if Jones started out trying to do good and his mad side took over or if he was a manipulative evil man from the start. PT started out doing good things, that is how you suck people in who have nothing and hook them. 

I was born after Jonestown. My first exposure to it was for the 25th anniversary I think, so I was in my early teens. I just remember watching a PBS documentary and literally not being able to comprehend what I was seeing.

That's a good question about Jones and one I have long pondered.

I think there was always a bit of a dark, manipulative side to Jones, but I also think he had some genuinely good points that kept the worst of it in check in the early years. I mean, the guy helped desegregate Indianapolis. That's pretty commendable. But there are still earlier instances where he comes across as pretty shady even then.  

I think as he got more power, his good points faded away, and the darker side became more prominent. 

• Love 8
(edited)
14 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Yeah, I'm really curious about this, too. This is certainly the time-honored method that street gangs use, for example. Although I guess the mix of good and bad motives is pretty hard to untangle in most of us, when you come right down to it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was born after Jonestown. My first exposure to it was for the 25th anniversary I think, so I was in my early teens. I just remember watching a PBS documentary and literally not being able to comprehend what I was seeing.

That's a good question about Jones and one I have long pondered.

I think there was always a bit of a dark, manipulative side to Jones, but I also think he had some genuinely good points that kept the worst of it in check in the early years. I mean, the guy helped desegregate Indianapolis. That's pretty commendable. But there are still earlier instances where he comes across as pretty shady even then.  

I think as he got more power, his good points faded away, and the darker side became more prominent. 

I think he also began to take drugs heavily at a certain point and that could have changed him or brought out his dark side. 

• Love 6
(edited)
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I think he also began to take drugs heavily at a certain point and that could have changed him or brought out his dark side. 

Agreed! He apparently took a lot of drugs. In fact, that's why he wore the trademark sunglasses--so people couldn't see how red his eyes were!

I think that probably lowered his inhibitions about acting on his worse impulses. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Zella said:

Agreed! He apparently took a lot of drugs. In fact, that's why he wore the trademark sunglasses--so people couldn't see how red his eyes were!

I think that probably lowered his inhibitions about acting on his worse impulses. 

Very good point. It also seemed to make  him more paranoid. 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Very good point. It also seemed to make  him more paranoid. 

For sure! I do sort of wonder if the drugs had been taken out of the equation if things wouldn't have erupted as badly and tragically as they did. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

For sure! I do sort of wonder if the drugs had been taken out of the equation if things wouldn't have erupted as badly and tragically as they did. 

We will never know. Maybe not quite as far as it went. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

they want a better world in the sense that they want to convert souls, but that is about it. All those missions.... its not to really help but to convert! 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/4/2019 at 1:14 AM, Lunera said:

Lol what a douche.

Jeremy is so boring he’s just buying different versions of the bible and each gospel is a different book 😴 to make it look like he reads a lot I guess. I suppose I should expect that from a pastor in training but I wonder if he’s ever read any other books?

Edited by Puffin
  • Love 7
(edited)

I gotta run but wanted to answer a question

Reformed/Calvinists revere Latin. I can GUARANTEE Jeremy's kids will take Latin at a school or homeschool.

The Fundamentalist Baptists like Jim Bob have zero use for Latin. 

(My kids take classes at a homeschool coop that is Reformed and they took years of Latin. My other coop is more evangelical and they have not one tiny clue that anyone would ever take Latin.) 

Edited by Marigold
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I gotta run but wanted to answer a question

Reformed/Calvinists revere Latin. I can GUARANTEE Jeremy's kids will take Latin at a school or homeschool.

The Fundamentalist Baptists like Jim Bob have zero use for Latin. 

(My kids take classes at a homeschool coop that is Reformed and they took years of Latin. My other coop is more evangelical and they have not one tiny clue that anyone would ever take Latin.) 

Calvin wrote in Latin! In fact, when he wrote some (maybe all?) of his biblical commentaries, he based them on his own translations from the Greek into Latin, rather than relying on another translation. (I once read the Institutes cover to cover, Jer. How about you?) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6