Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

On 11/9/2017 at 1:03 PM, Natalie68 said:

I am not sure about anywhere outside CA but here, you must have a PhD to teach at a University and must have a Masters to teach at a City College.   Not sure what private schools require.  

This is correct. Any school, public or private, that wants to be regionally accredited will have to follow these standards. A Bachelor's might allow you to teach vocational/certificate courses at a CC, but for transfer credit courses (math, English, science, Art History, etc.), a Master's is the bare minimum and many CCs are now hiring only PhDs. I think sometimes people have a dated if not outright wrong idea of what CCs do and who works for them, which unfortunately gets perpetuated and ends with me having classes full of people who expect it to be a joke and get super pissed when I hold them to real college standards. Anyway...

Jeremy could technically teach college with an MBA, but it's not considered a truly academic degree, and he'd need to back it up with at least 5 years of demonstrated success in business administration. If he wants to be a fancy man with a higher degree, he should stay on the current path and go for an M.Div. 

• Love 13
On 11/11/2017 at 0:05 AM, louannems said:

Well, there was that long, drawn out sermon about the evil of masturbation.  His audience was mainly Duggar Howlers, and a few bored others.

As I think of this now, I wonder whether it may have been a clever Jeremy move to keep a bunch of teenage Duggar boys from showing up to visit in Texas. With their mess and noise and hormonal aura and teen-boy tendencies to devour refrigerators whole. I can't see the Jeremy we know from photos wanting that in his house.

Who wouldn't shy away from visiting your preachy fashion-conscious brother-in-law if you were saddled with the memory of him delivering an hour-long rant, in front of your friends, ordering you and them not to masturbate? 

Well played, Jeremy. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 18

What’s the deal with American athletes working free for 4 years at universities? 

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

As I think of this now, I wonder whether it may have been a clever Jeremy move to keep a bunch of teenage Duggar boys from showing up to visit in Texas. With their mess and noise and hormonal aura and teen-boy tendencies to devour refrigerators whole. I can't see the Jeremy we know from photos wanting that in his house.

Who wouldn't shy away from visiting your preachy fashion-conscious brother-in-law if you were saddled with the memory of him delivering an hour-long rant, in front of your friends, ordering you and them not to masturbate? 

Well played, Jeremy. 

I’m sure that a few questions about how much he can lift or press or whatever will pacify him. 

• Love 1

I think Jeremy, his sermons, his family and his Jingle are the least of TLC's concerns.  His sermons may be narrow minded, but they've never been cruel.  Baaaabe & Jing just do their Texas thing and don't seem to function in concert with any of the other Duggers.  Sure, they show at the weddings and a few shindigs, but they don't seem to have any "Holy Crusade" they're pursuing alongside the families within the Dugger Mother Ship.  

I think he'll post things that interest him.  And that let him bring the pretty, not the ugly.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 7
On 11/9/2017 at 9:54 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I think he'd probably need a Master's degree to be "Professor Vuolo" even at a fundie college, wouldn't he? I suppose he might be able to find something on the high school level at someplace like that, though.

I think Jeremy is probably bright enough that he could get a Masters Degree in something-or-other from one of the on-line universities easily enough. He probably should do that; it can only help his prospects. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

This is correct. Any school, public or private, that wants to be regionally accredited will have to follow these standards. A Bachelor's might allow you to teach vocational/certificate courses at a CC, but for transfer credit courses (math, English, science, Art History, etc.), a Master's is the bare minimum and many CCs are now hiring only PhDs. I think sometimes people have a dated if not outright wrong idea of what CCs do and who works for them, which unfortunately gets perpetuated and ends with me having classes full of people who expect it to be a joke and get super pissed when I hold them to real college standards. Anyway...

Jeremy could technically teach college with an MBA, but it's not considered a truly academic degree, and he'd need to back it up with at least 5 years of demonstrated success in business administration. If he wants to be a fancy man with a higher degree, he should stay on the current path and go for an M.Div. 

That’s my experience too, although I would add that many private, for-profit two-year colleges, accredited to give an Associates Degree, are a lot less picky about who they hire. You would need a Masters, but they would be perfectly happy with an MBA that you earned last week. Of course, they also pay less than the CC’s and are typically in session year round (to maximize revenue). One week off between quarters, and no other possible vacation at any other time. So they pretty much have to be less picky about who they hire. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Genevrier said:

That’s my experience too, although I would add that many private, for-profit two-year colleges, accredited to give an Associates Degree, are a lot less picky about who they hire. You would need a Masters, but they would be perfectly happy with an MBA that you earned last week. Of course, they also pay less than the CC’s and are typically in session year round (to maximize revenue). One week off between quarters, and no other possible vacation at any other time. So they pretty much have to be less picky about who they hire. 

True. The for-profit/fully online schools* are a whole different world, and one I'm glad I avoided! If Jeremy got a Master's from a school like Argosy or Full Sail, no reputable brick-and-mortar institution would touch him. 

Anyway, this is probably all moot since we're just speculating about his ambitions to begin with. Jeremy has a perfectly good Bachelor's degree, and if the Vuolos are looking to drop a bunch of cash on higher ed, I hope they'd spend it on Jinger. There's a community college and a branch of Texas A&M in Laredo, and while the Aggies are normally my sworn enemies, I'd be willing to let that slide if it meant Jinger got to get a real education! She could major in photography and take a few courses in small business or education, and be set to have a nice career. 

*Disclaimer: I realize that many legitimate universities now offer entire degrees online. Those aren't what I'm referring to!

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • Love 5

Jinger would need to take remedial classes because her homeschool education will not cut it in college. Not saying she could not do it. I can picture Babe and her sitting at the table while he helps her with poor english and math skills. Oh bbaabbee you are so smart! *giggle* giggle* I could not do this without you! *giggle* *giggle*

9 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Jinger would need to take remedial classes because her homeschool education will not cut it in college. Not saying she could not do it. I can picture Babe and her sitting at the table while he helps her with poor english and math skills. Oh bbaabbee you are so smart! *giggle* giggle* I could not do this without you! *giggle* *giggle*

There may be others on the board with more knowledge on this subject than I have, but I think this is a big problem nationwide -- people show up at college without the necessary skills. I think that many colleges now offer non-credit, remedial classes to allow student to get up to speed. It would be great if they would show Jinger doing all of the remedial work she needs to attend college, but that's not going to happen.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I think he'd like that, lording over her & showing her how smart he thinks he is.  I don't think Babe would do well with a smart well educated woman. 

ETA - He likes his women "meek".

Edited by ariel
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

There may be others on the board with more knowledge on this subject than I have, but I think this is a big problem nationwide -- people show up at college without the necessary skills. I think that many colleges now offer non-credit, remedial classes to allow student to get up to speed. It would be great if they would show Jinger doing all of the remedial work she needs to attend college, but that's not going to happen.

Honestly, from what I have seen of her and of my students, Jinger would be in the top 50% of community college students in Texas. She might not even need the developmental reading/writing classes (but probably the math). I just finished grading 50 research papers, and at least 20 failed for plagiarism, despite both the college and me providing extensive resources and guidance on how to cite sources. It's dismal. The Duggars are culturally ignorant and undisciplined, but sadly that is not rare here.

• Love 10

She wouldn't need the assessment tests if she goes to a community college and transfers to a four-year school. A GED is sufficient. 

Now, I'm not sure whether she has one; the older kids do, but I'm not sure how far down the line Duggar Academy took over. 

Josiah has a pilot's license.Isn't a GED required for licensure? Joy and the twins? I'm dubious; Joy is as dumb as a box of hair. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I think it would be a challenge for Jinger to pass the ACT/SATs before entering college.  Well, first she'd need a GED if she doesn't already have one.

She wouldn't need an entrance exam to get into community college, but she would need a GED or HS diploma.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Would the "Duggar Academy" diploma count?

LOL! Definitely not on its own. If the kids actually passed a home schooling program recognized by the state of Arkansas, or a GED exam, and the Duggars just made up their own certificates for fun, sure. Have they even mentioned what the last few kids actually did to count as graduating? It seems like they keep that quiet lately. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She wouldn't need the assessment tests if she goes to a community college and transfers to a four-year school. A GED is sufficient. 

Now, I'm not sure whether she has one; the older kids do, but I'm not sure how far down the line Duggar Academy took over. 

Josiah has a pilot's license.Isn't a GED required for licensure? Joy and the twins? I'm dubious; Joy is as dumb as a box of hair. 

Nope, a pilot's license, like a driver's license; has an age requirement (16, I think) as well as required amounts of training and flying with an instructor.  A GED isn't necessary.

It's been a long time since the Duggars have mentioned any of the kids getting a GED, I suspect that went by the wayside once they were able to make a decent living from the show.  Being Duggars, I don't think it ever occurred to them that the TV gig might someday end and they might need to find gainful employment in the real world.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6

My son is in community college in Maryland with just his homeschool credentials.  No GED or SAT was needed.  Of course I homeschooled him for high school because I didn't feel his school was rigorous enough, and I have a degree.  He did take placement testing and got into honors classes.  He's doing great in his second year and can transfer to four year university with just the credentials he has.  I realize this doesn't apply to the Duggars, but Jinger may not need a GED for college.

• Love 4

I think Jeremy likes himself an awful lot...BUT I'm also not surprised he's the subject of most of the couple's Instagram photos, as it's been known for years that JInger loves photography and she is presumably the person behind the camera most of the time.

• Love 11

Colleges vary quite widely in what they ask homeschooled students to produce, I think. Very very few colleges want to see a GED. Most do want to see a detailed homeschool high school transcript, prepared by the homeschool, especially in cases where the states don't record any test scores for homeschoolers or anything. Arkansas falls into that category. I would love to see the high school transcript that Meeechelle would write up. But unfortunately I expect she's counting on never having to write one. ... Or she might have Jana do it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I think it would be a challenge for Jinger to pass the ACT/SATs before entering college.  Well, first she'd need a GED if she doesn't already have one.

If I recall correctly Jinger was one of the few to pass the GED exam.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Colleges vary quite widely in what they ask homeschooled students to produce, I think. Very very few colleges want to see a GED. Most do want to see a detailed homeschool high school transcript, prepared by the homeschool, especially in cases where the states don't record any test scores for homeschoolers or anything. Arkansas falls into that category. I would love to see the high school transcript that Meeechelle would write up. But unfortunately I expect she's counting on never having to write one. ... Or she might have Jana do it. 

Community colleges often don't require a diploma or GED.  Both my niece and nephew took classes at the local community college while in high school in lieu of high school classes in the same subjects.  My nephew actually got his Associate's degree the same week he graduated high school at age 18.  He started out taking classes as part of his high school's cooperative program, but, then, enrolled in additional classes there when he saw how close he was to his degree.  He went off to University as a junior, technically, although he took another 4 years mainly because he was a band geek who wanted to march for football season as long as possible.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Community colleges often don't require a diploma or GED.  Both my niece and nephew took classes at the local community college while in high school in lieu of high school classes in the same subjects.  My nephew actually got his Associate's degree the same week he graduated high school at age 18.  He started out taking classes as part of his high school's cooperative program, but, then, enrolled in additional classes there when he saw how close he was to his degree.  He went off to University as a junior, technically, although he took another 4 years mainly because he was a band geek who wanted to march for football season as long as possible.

That's my kinda geek. 

• Love 8

JereMe is corny as hell. I guess he decided that maybe he could make money off clothing/accessory ads featuring Jinger since ladies are constantly asking her where her clothes are from. 

He was very slick with this one.

• Love 8

Looks like Jinger is reading the New York Times.  It is probably about $2 a copy for the daily version here in the tristate area and $5 or $6 for the Sunday version.  (I read it online).

Lots of big words and articles that Duggars would not agree with.  If Jinger is reading the NYT to expand her personal knowledge base, then more power to her--but somehow I think it's just a photo prop

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

It would be a document funny as all get out, no?

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, queenanne said:

It would be a document funny as all get out, no?

That's why I want to see it! 

24 minutes ago, ariel said:

Does the New York Times now feature comic strips?

They're running a complete documentary history of The Family Circus. 

• Love 6

Advertising #loveyourmelon is actually a good thing and one of the most charitable things the Babes have done.  50% of their profit is given to fight pediatric cancer. (also :Made in USA) I love their hats....I think there are scarves too.

Now if Jinge would only donate some of that scraggle to Locks of Love......

• Love 15

As a knitter, I totally support the loveyourmelon folks.  They do great work and their products are VERY well made.  Jing has always loved hats, so I think it's a great way to get their items out in front of people and keep it in her style.  They may have contacted her and sent her the hat.  They usually run about $30 and you won't be finding them in thrift stores.  Especially not in that part of Texas. 

The LYM folks will even send a kid you know a free cap if they're battling cancer.  

Cute and thoughtful.  I approve their message, no matter how staged it is.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, marypat57 said:

Looks like Jinger is reading the New York Times.  It is probably about $2 a copy for the daily version here in the tristate area and $5 or $6 for the Sunday version.  (I read it online).

Lots of big words and articles that Duggars would not agree with.  If Jinger is reading the NYT to expand her personal knowledge base, then more power to her--but somehow I think it's just a photo prop

The paper looks a lot like my Washington Post.  For a Duggar to read either one is a huge win!

• Love 5

Is she really reading the paper or just looking at it? In otherwords, is the picture a big FU Internet moment to us who question if Jeremy is really expanding Jinger's world by exposing her to better reading material.

Edited by bigskygirl
9 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

The paper looks a lot like my Washington Post.  For a Duggar to read either one is a huge win!

For real. Even if it's just the funnies, it's a step forward, as many of them are fairly sharp (what low standards we have for these people). I don't think Jinger and Jeremy are boring at all, and are downright interesting when compared to people like Jill and Derick. I think of all of them, they have the most potential to be the lead couple on the show. They have a lot going for them: being in Laredo away from the circus, Jinger's popularity and image as a "rebel," lack of kids, and Jeremy's relative worldliness. And not to be shallow, but they're the most attractive couple of all of them.

I would be a downright fan of them if Jeremy wasn't such a homophobe. As much as I like them, it's important to never forget they are Dericks in better clothing and more attractive faces.

• Love 18
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

My daughter is doing this as well. Fabulous program. It's also a great way to sidestep much of the HS drama.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, drafan said:

Advertising #loveyourmelon is actually a good thing and one of the most charitable things the Babes have done.  50% of their profit is given to fight pediatric cancer. (also :Made in USA) I love their hats....I think there are scarves too.

To be honest, they wouldn't have any used for that fried, dead stuff.  She should chop it and trash it.  

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

They're running a complete documentary history of The Family Circus. 

That might be interesting to Jinger.  Her family is The Family Circus without the charm.  

• Love 7
7 hours ago, drafan said:

The hair needs to be in its natural condition, not colored, permed, or chemically straightened. So I’m not sure any of the Duggars’ hair would qualify.

May I suggest anyone donating hair look into Pantene Beautiful Lengths. I have a best friend who did the research, has donated hair twice, and said their policies are much more charitable than Locks of Love.

• Love 12

Here in Florida we're still using A/C too......But the girls are sporting knee-high boots, scarves and hats.  Nobody cares about the actual weather, it's the style.  And Jinger wears knit hats year round, so her showing off her LYM hat is no strange thing.   

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

Oh whatever!  I know someone in TX and they are still using air conditioning, it's not that cold there to be wearing a knit hat!

Yeah, but Jingle wore a knit hat in Sydney, Australia, in the summertime (or late spring, I guess). And as far as I know (or by snowbelt standards, anyway) it's never really cold enough for a knit hat in Sydney, let alone outside of the dead of winter.

She must just really like knit hats as a fashion statement.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

For real. Even if it's just the funnies, it's a step forward, as many of them are fairly sharp (what low standards we have for these people). I don't think Jinger and Jeremy are boring at all, and are downright interesting when compared to people like Jill and Derick. I think of all of them, they have the most potential to be the lead couple on the show. They have a lot going for them: being in Laredo away from the circus, Jinger's popularity and image as a "rebel," lack of kids, and Jeremy's relative worldliness. And not to be shallow, but they're the most attractive couple of all of them.

I would be a downright fan of them if Jeremy wasn't such a homophobe. As much as I like them, it's important to never forget they are Dericks in better clothing and more attractive faces.

I don't think the NYT even has a funnies section, lol. No way she's reading that paper.

• Love 5

I've heard it said that if you read every edition of the NYT for a year, you'll have the equivalent of a college education. I know that's hyperbole, but I really hope she's reading it (or WaPo or something similar) regularly.  It will at the very least broaden her worldview some. 

• Love 10

When I was growing up we had "I don't know", an invisible sibling that always got into stuff.  The rest of us were little angles who never did anything wrong, but "I don't know" got into the cookies, left toys all over the floor, left the door open in the dead of winter, etc.  I wonder what happened to that kid.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

When I was growing up we had "I don't know", an invisible sibling that always got into stuff.  The rest of us were little angles who never did anything wrong, but "I don't know" got into the cookies, left toys all over the floor, left the door open in the dead of winter, etc.  I wonder what happened to that kid.

Were you acute? 

• Love 16