Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Lunera said:

That picture is from when they were newly married, before JereMe worked his magic on her. She has come a long way. 

Thank god, I thought this was a recent picture. It looks like something you’d see on Mob Wives, or something that Blanche would have worn on the Golden Girls. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Genevrier said:

Well, if someone held a gun to my head and said ‘You must meet someone in the Duggar family,’ I suppose they wouldn’t be the worst choice. 

Hmmm... they might be sorry if they met some of us from this forum. I have a feeling they wouldn't like what many of us think of them.

• Love 8

Jeremy is in charge of Jinger.  Jinger's life is much better because Jeremy allows her to do more, see more and have more.  The word "allows" still is a problem for women in 2017.

I agree with you, but at the same time, Jinger wasn't going to marry anyone egalitarian unless she completely broke free from the Duggars. So given where she's at, this marriage seems to be good for her. I think if Jinger ever moderates on evangelical views and becomes more progressive or secular, yes, there will be serious problems in the marriage. But I don't see her doing that. I think she sees the Vuolos as her saviors, and I also don't think she's exposed to anything or any people who might cause her to question. Jeremy's also old enough that I think it's unlikely he'll take a serious turn for the more repressive. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Zuleikha said:

Jeremy's also old enough that I think it's unlikely he'll take a serious turn for the more repressive. 

I think that depends on the person.  If Jeremy's life doesn't turn out how he wants, he might make new plans or he might start looking for someone to blame.

Bin seemed to think he'd jump into preaching and being a headship, and neither has happened yet.  He's bad at preaching, and Jessa is in charge of the home, but he seems to have adjusted and enjoys his kids while he's taking classes in ministry.  His only known 'win' so far was the unfortunate decision to name his firstborn after a fish (joke), and I'm convinced that the delay in revealing Spur's name was because he had to really fight for 'Spurgeon'.  Jessa and the Duggars even admitted that for the first few weeks they called the baby Elliot, but once that became public they fell in line.  I wonder if Ben has realized that it's mostly due to Jessa's social media campaign to show off Spur's absolute cuteness that has relieved them of constant pushback from the public.  Jessa might also be the reason that Ben has backed off on some of his more deplorable tweets and postings that he used to put out there at the beginning of their marriage.

Derick also acted like he expected to step into his fantasy role of being a headship and follow his dream of being a missionary.  I wonder about the time line there.  He got a job at WalMart Corporate largely due to his mother, and he only kept it until Jill gave birth 10 months after they got married.  I still don't know about his oral surgery, why he had it immediately after their first baby was born and why he never went back to work and instead gathered up his tiny family and went off to Central America to become a pseudo missionary.  Even living in a modern home on a protected compound and shopping at the local WalMart, he didn't seem to accomplish much.  As his 'missionary' status came under public scrutiny, his wife proved grossly inadequate to even the most benign missionary assignment, he turned more and more to using his status as 'reality personality' to grift funds and maintain his fiction of bringing heathens to the Lord.  He doesn't garner the respect he craves from the public, and his in-laws aren't going out of their way to help.  His mother is his biggest fan, and it's not enough.  Now he's stuck back in the States and he's acting out with posts and tweets that appear to combine a desire to get any kind of attention and to prove that he's not going to buckle under the pressure to conform to public opinion.  He's part toddler, part adolescent, and all asshole.

Jeremy is still riding high, but how will he react when he has his first setback?  He doesn't have a strong partner who can step up and help him in a new direction like Jessa has done with Ben.  Jinger is enjoying her role as his subordinate, but will Jessa be able to give her strength to help steer Jeremy to a different path if his plans don't work out?  She won't be able to depend on her parents for help, and Jessa might be wrangling a few more kids if Jeremy's plans fall through.  I don't know if Jeremy's parents will be of much help, as it seems that they're fully backing him on his Texas 'ministry'.  As I understand it, he only has his church through his father.  Does any of them have a backup plan?

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I think that depends on the person.  If Jeremy's life doesn't turn out how he wants, he might make new plans or he might start looking for someone to blame.

Bin seemed to think he'd jump into preaching and being a headship, and neither has happened yet.  He's bad at preaching, and Jessa is in charge of the home, but he seems to have adjusted and enjoys his kids while he's taking classes in ministry.  His only known 'win' so far was the unfortunate decision to name his firstborn after a fish (joke), and I'm convinced that the delay in revealing Spur's name was because he had to really fight for 'Spurgeon'.  Jessa and the Duggars even admitted that for the first few weeks they called the baby Elliot, but once that became public they fell in line.  I wonder if Ben has realized that it's mostly due to Jessa's social media campaign to show off Spur's absolute cuteness that has relieved them of constant pushback from the public.  Jessa might also be the reason that Ben has backed off on some of his more deplorable tweets and postings that he used to put out there at the beginning of their marriage.

Derick also acted like he expected to step into his fantasy role of being a headship and follow his dream of being a missionary.  I wonder about the time line there.  He got a job at WalMart Corporate largely due to his mother, and he only kept it until Jill gave birth 10 months after they got married.  I still don't know about his oral surgery, why he had it immediately after their first baby was born and why he never went back to work and instead gathered up his tiny family and went off to Central America to become a pseudo missionary.  Even living in a modern home on a protected compound and shopping at the local WalMart, he didn't seem to accomplish much.  As his 'missionary' status came under public scrutiny, his wife proved grossly inadequate to even the most benign missionary assignment, he turned more and more to using his status as 'reality personality' to grift funds and maintain his fiction of bringing heathens to the Lord.  He doesn't garner the respect he craves from the public, and his in-laws aren't going out of their way to help.  His mother is his biggest fan, and it's not enough.  Now he's stuck back in the States and he's acting out with posts and tweets that appear to combine a desire to get any kind of attention and to prove that he's not going to buckle under the pressure to conform to public opinion.  He's part toddler, part adolescent, and all asshole.

Jeremy is still riding high, but how will he react when he has his first setback?  He doesn't have a strong partner who can step up and help him in a new direction like Jessa has done with Ben.  Jinger is enjoying her role as his subordinate, but will Jessa be able to give her strength to help steer Jeremy to a different path if his plans don't work out?  She won't be able to depend on her parents for help, and Jessa might be wrangling a few more kids if Jeremy's plans fall through.  I don't know if Jeremy's parents will be of much help, as it seems that they're fully backing him on his Texas 'ministry'.  As I understand it, he only has his church through his father.  Does any of them have a backup plan?

That's about the size of it, I'd say. 

And as far as backup plans go ... I'd say Jeremy kinda sorta has two: the soccer plus a degree could probably get him some kind of teaching job; or he might parlay his degree into some starter business job. And Derick has one: the degree in accounting and the small amount of experience there, also for a starter job in a related field. But the farther away they get from those degrees and jobs, the staler those credentials become and the less likely they are to lead to much in the way of employment.

Bin, as far as I can see, has no backup plan at all.

And when it comes to church stuff, I don't see that any of them has the stuff to get much farther than Kendra's dad -- if that far -- in the current climate. They're not that smart, they're not very articulate or good at speaking, they don't seem to be very hard working, and they're not wildly personable. And not only does Kendra's dad have his looks to help him get attention and gather people unto him -- and even the better-looking of these guys can't match his visual pull -- but he had to be a mechanic on the side to make it work. 

Unless lightning strikes somewhere -- or the adjacents are willing to accept very modest religious work for very modest pay and no acclaim -- a long uphill walk is ahead, seems to me. 

EMLTA: Plus, an awful lot of the religiously employed that I've known have had to move, often far and in many cases repeatedly, to score their next gig or gather experience to move up the ladder. So if Jessa and Jill insist on living right next door to the TTH forever that's an additional huge anchor on their adjacents' ankles, when it comes to continued religious employment. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

That's about the size of it, I'd say. 

And as far as backup plans go ... I'd say Jeremy kinda sorta has two: the soccer plus a degree could probably get him some kind of teaching job; or he might parlay his degree into some starter business job. And Derick has one: the degree in accounting and the small amount of experience there, also for a starter job in a related field. But the farther away they get from those degrees and jobs, the staler those credentials become and the less likely they are to lead to much in the way of employment.

Bin, as far as I can see, has no backup plan at all.

And when it comes to church stuff, I don't see that any of them has the stuff to get much farther than Kendra's dad -- if that far -- in the current climate. They're not that smart, they're not very articulate or good at speaking, they don't seem to be very hard working, and they're not wildly personable. And not only does Kendra's dad have his looks to help him get attention and gather people unto him -- and even the better-looking of these guys can't match his visual pull -- but he had to be a mechanic on the side to make it work. 

Unless lightning strikes somewhere -- or the adjacents are willing to accept very modest religious work for very modest pay and no acclaim -- a long uphill walk is ahead, seems to me. 

EMLTA: Plus, an awful lot of the religiously employed that I've known have had to move, often far and in many cases repeatedly, to score their next gig or gather experience to move up the ladder. So if Jessa and Jill insist on living right next door to the TTH forever that's an additional huge anchor on their adjacents' ankles, when it comes to continued religious employment. 

Jeremy could probably parlay his soccer career into teaching religion and coaching soccer for a private fundie-esque school somewhere, either HS or college level. It wouldn't shock me in the least if that's where he ends up, especially if it's college level and he can be "Professor Vuolo" or something similar. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, questionfear said:

Jeremy could probably parlay his soccer career into teaching religion and coaching soccer for a private fundie-esque school somewhere, either HS or college level. It wouldn't shock me in the least if that's where he ends up, especially if it's college level and he can be "Professor Vuolo" or something similar. 

I think he'd probably need a Master's degree to be "Professor Vuolo" even at a fundie college, wouldn't he? I suppose he might be able to find something on the high school level at someplace like that, though.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, questionfear said:

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm envisioning, too. High school, though. I think the fundie colleges are mostly too worried about their reps to hire a lot of BAs today. Unless he could be hired just to coach and maybe work in an administration office or something. 

Of course coaching isn't necessarily the most stable of career fields, either. And we have no idea whether he'd be any good at it. .... I do sort of question whether kids would respond to that soft breathy voice and preachy manner of his. But maybe he has some other voices that we haven't heard. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

Jeremy probably couldn’t get hired as a tenured professor, but he may be able to get hired as an adjunct professor or lecturer.  Both were still called professors when I was in college and only needed Bachelor degrees.  Community colleges require even less.  I had some CC professors that only had high school educations, but had been in their respective fields for 10-20 years.  If Jeremy really wanted to teach, even at the collegiate level, he could find a position.

ETA: Are we sure he doesn’t have some kind of Master’s from Syracuse?  Even in business?  I thought I remember reading he had at least started in a Master’s program.  I know a lot of athletes end up with a Master’s out of college because they redshirt their freshman year.  They need something to fill the 5 years.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, saylubee said:

Jeremy probably couldn’t get hired as a tenured professor, but he may be able to get hired as an adjunct professor or lecturer.  Both were still called professors when I was in college and only needed Bachelor degrees.  Community colleges require even less.  I had some CC professors that only had high school educations, but had been in their respective fields for 10-20 years.  If Jeremy really wanted to teach, even at the collegiate level, he could find a position.

ETA: Are we sure he doesn’t have some kind of Master’s from Syracuse?  Even in business?  I thought I remember reading he had at least started in a Master’s program.  I know a lot of athletes end up with a Master’s out of college because they redshirt their freshman year.  They need something to fill the 5 years.

According to Syracuse, he spent a redshirt year at Hartwick College, then three years there as a player, then transferred to Syracuse for his senior year. Played one year for them. So although he did redshirt at Hartwick, he was still just a senior when he went over to Syracuse, not a grad student. (obviously went to get into a Division 1 school in the Big East from a smaller one) I agree that that seems unusual, and I don't understand it. But it's from the horse's mouth. 

""Transferred to Syracuse from Hartwick College.

"Senior Year (2010): Played in 16 games with 15 starts … 2010 team captain … Finalist for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award (nation’s most outstanding student-athlete) … Totaled 79 saves and three shutouts … Fourth in the BIG EAST in saves and second in saves per game (4.94) … Recorded one save in 50:32 in SU’s 1-0 shutout of Northeastern at the Mayor’s Cup … Tallied a career-best nine saves in consecutive outings versus Cornell, Pittsburgh and Canisius … First SU goalie to record at least nine saves in three straight games since Charlie Wilke in 1988 … Earned his first shutout as a member of the Orange with a 0-0 draw against Pittsburgh … Made three saves in a shutout of DePaul … Six saves in the team’s shutout at St. John’s ... Named the team's MVP.

"Junior Year (2009 at Hartwick): Started all 18 games … Named to the All-MAC First Team and was chosen as the Mid-American Conference Goalkeeper of the Year … Recorded seven shutouts … Ranked third in the conference with a 0.84 goals-against average … Second in the MAC with 74 saves … Tied for second in the league in shutouts and was third in save percentage (.822) … Equaled his career-high with eight saves in the MAC title game against top-ranked Akron … Named team MVP.

"Sophomore Year (2008 at Hartwick): Started all 19 matches ... Played 1,867 minutes and registered a goals-against average of 0.92 … Six shutouts ... Led the MAC in saves (75) … Ranked third in the conference in both save percentage (.798) and goals-against average … Fourth in the league in shutouts … Made a career-high eight stops against Drexel in the season opener ... Had seven saves in 2-2 draw with New Hampshire and a 2-0 victory over Bowling Green ... Received coaches’ award for dedication and unselfishness at the conclusion of the year.

"Freshman Year (2007 at Hartwick): Started 16 of the Hawks’ 18 games and posted a 4-5-7 record ... Allowed 18 goals in 1,590 minutes of action ... Made 55 saves ... Tallied five shutouts on the year ... Recorded his first collegiate win by blanking James Madison, 1-0 ... Saved a season-high seven shots in a 2-0 loss at Akron ... Stuffed the final three kicks in a shootout versus Western Michigan to send Hartwick to the MAC Tournament semifinals.

"2006 (at Hartwick): Redshirt season."

http://cuse.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7683

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

According to Syracuse, he spent a redshirt year at Hartwick College, then three years there as a player, then transferred to Syracuse for his senior year. Played one year for them. So although he did redshirt at Hartwick, he was still just a senior when he went over to Syracuse, not a grad student. (obviously went to get into a Division 1 school in the Big East from a smaller one) I agree that that seems unusual, and I don't understand it. But it's from the horse's mouth. 

I found this from the Vuolo’s website: “After high school he attended a small, division-1 college in upstate New York where he earned an undergraduate degree in Business Administration, while playing for the school’s soccer team. He began pursuing a masters degree in finance at Syracuse University before leaving early to sign a professional contract playing soccer in Finland.”

Senior year in athletics refers to the number of years they’ve played, not always their actual graduation year.  So it sounds like he transferred into Syracuse specifically for their graduate program.  He’s talked in other places about finishing online, but hasn’t really made it clear he’s done so.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, saylubee said:

I found this from the Vuolo’s website: “After high school he attended a small, division-1 college in upstate New York where he earned an undergraduate degree in Business Administration, while playing for the school’s soccer team. He began pursuing a masters degree in finance at Syracuse University before leaving early to sign a professional contract playing soccer in Finland.”

Senior year in athletics refers to the number of years they’ve played, not always their actually graduation year.  So it sounds like he transferred into Syracuse specifically for their graduate program.  He’s talked in other places about finishing online, but hasn’t really made it clear he’s done so.

He would be smart to finish his masters on line. At least then he would have the creds to get a better job. Unfortunately, Jeremy holds himself in such high esteem, he probably thinks teaching in a college is beneath him. I think he's waiting for some mega church to offer him a position based on his "celebrity". But that hasn't happened, and may never happen since his preaching is stilted, long winded, and boring. I don't think any of the Duggar in-laws have a plan B.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, saylubee said:

Senior year in athletics refers to the number of years they’ve played, not always their actual graduation year.  So it sounds like he transferred into Syracuse specifically for their graduate program.  He’s talked in other places about finishing online, but hasn’t really made it clear he’s done so.

Turns out Syracuse has a really high-ranked online MBA program in finance, probably the very one he started while on campus. Sounds excellent, and the school already accepted him for this once. He's crazy if he doesn't start doing this soon, but I can see how he might feel like he has too much on his plate now. The smart money would be on doing this, seems to me. And save the extra reading on Calvinism for your spare time. And doesn't a megachurch need a finance guy, too? 

https://requestinfo.onlinebusiness.syr.edu/mba4.html?x=OFB&s=search_brand_google&l=GGL|SYR-MBA|SEM|BRD|TIER0|BROAD|Brand-Plus|Offline&ef_id=c:163414215821_d:c_n:g_ti:kwd-141952164806&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIusq8x4Ky1wIVBIGzCh22aQZwEAAYASAAEgLpf_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&experimentid=3253450458

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, saylubee said:

I am not sure about anywhere outside CA but here, you must have a PhD to teach at a University and must have a Masters to teach at a City College.   Not sure what private schools require.  

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Turns out Syracuse has a really high-ranked online MBA program in finance, probably the very one he started while on campus. Sounds excellent, and the school already accepted him for this once. He's crazy if he doesn't start doing this soon, but I can see how he might feel like he has too much on his plate now. The smart money would be on doing this, seems to me. And save the extra reading on Calvinism for your spare time. And doesn't a megachurch need a finance guy, too? 

https://requestinfo.onlinebusiness.syr.edu/mba4.html?x=OFB&s=search_brand_google&l=GGL|SYR-MBA|SEM|BRD|TIER0|BROAD|Brand-Plus|Offline&ef_id=c:163414215821_d:c_n:g_ti:kwd-141952164806&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIusq8x4Ky1wIVBIGzCh22aQZwEAAYASAAEgLpf_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&experimentid=3253450458

I was gonna say, a friend got her master's degree from SU's Maxwell School entirely online, with something like 2-3 on-campus in-person weeks per year.  Maybe fewer.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, momofsquid said:

If I saw that Jeremy on the street in that outfit, that pose and that grooming, I would not expect him to be interested in women.

He probably listens to "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story every morning just before he gets dressed!

• Love 20
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jinger's and Jeremy's accounts are full of pictures of JereMe. I wanted to see Jinger's 'brisk weather' outfit. 

Oh my god, it truly is all about him and how fine he believes he is!  He is loving the 24/7 adulation that Jinger gives him and shares with the world. What a humble, modest servant of the lord. 

Edited by awaken
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, ariel said:

With all the pictures they take, you'd think they would take one showing Babe doing some work at his church.  All they post are lame "fashion" shots.

Don't you know they are playing dress-up for Jesus?one of the church requirements

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

""Transferred to Syracuse from Hartwick College.

"Senior Year (2010): Played in 16 games with 15 starts … 2010 team captain … Finalist for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award (nation’s most outstanding student-athlete) … Totaled 79 saves and three shutouts … Fourth in the BIG EAST in saves and second in saves per game (4.94) … Recorded one save in 50:32 in SU’s 1-0 shutout of Northeastern at the Mayor’s Cup … Tallied a career-best nine saves in consecutive outings versus Cornell, Pittsburgh and Canisius … First SU goalie to record at least nine saves in three straight games since Charlie Wilke in 1988 … Earned his first shutout as a member of the Orange with a 0-0 draw against Pittsburgh … Made three saves in a shutout of DePaul … Six saves in the team’s shutout at St. John’s ... Named the team's MVP.

"Junior Year (2009 at Hartwick): Started all 18 games … Named to the All-MAC First Team and was chosen as the Mid-American Conference Goalkeeper of the Year … Recorded seven shutouts … Ranked third in the conference with a 0.84 goals-against average … Second in the MAC with 74 saves … Tied for second in the league in shutouts and was third in save percentage (.822) … Equaled his career-high with eight saves in the MAC title game against top-ranked Akron … Named team MVP.

"Sophomore Year (2008 at Hartwick): Started all 19 matches ... Played 1,867 minutes and registered a goals-against average of 0.92 … Six shutouts ... Led the MAC in saves (75) … Ranked third in the conference in both save percentage (.798) and goals-against average … Fourth in the league in shutouts … Made a career-high eight stops against Drexel in the season opener ... Had seven saves in 2-2 draw with New Hampshire and a 2-0 victory over Bowling Green ... Received coaches’ award for dedication and unselfishness at the conclusion of the year.

"Freshman Year (2007 at Hartwick): Started 16 of the Hawks’ 18 games and posted a 4-5-7 record ... Allowed 18 goals in 1,590 minutes of action ... Made 55 saves ... Tallied five shutouts on the year ... Recorded his first collegiate win by blanking James Madison, 1-0 ... Saved a season-high seven shots in a 2-0 loss at Akron ... Stuffed the final three kicks in a shootout versus Western Michigan to send Hartwick to the MAC Tournament semifinals.

"2006 (at Hartwick): Redshirt season."

http://cuse.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7683

Wow. I have friends who were college athletes and the senior CLASS award is kind of a big deal. It’s not all about athletics, either; they look at academics, character, and community involvement too. To be a finalist for it Jeremy must have done pretty well in those areas. Also, Syracuse’s MBA program is pretty competitive IIRC. To be able to keep up with the work he must have been at least somewhat intelligent and hard-working.

So my question is where did all this stuff GO? I don’t think he comes across as unintelligent, but he definitely doesn’t seem like a particularly hard worker or someone who is really involved with the community (beyond his church and his mom’s foundation). I know he talks about his wilder days before he was born again or whatever, but why would finding Jesus make him lose the good attributes he had back when he had only been born once? 

• Love 14
9 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Wow. I have friends who were college athletes and the senior CLASS award is kind of a big deal. It’s not all about athletics, either; they look at academics, character, and community involvement too. To be a finalist for it Jeremy must have done pretty well in those areas. Also, Syracuse’s MBA program is pretty competitive IIRC. To be able to keep up with the work he must have been at least somewhat intelligent and hard-working.

So my question is where did all this stuff GO? I don’t think he comes across as unintelligent, but he definitely doesn’t seem like a particularly hard worker or someone who is really involved with the community (beyond his church and his mom’s foundation). I know he talks about his wilder days before he was born again or whatever, but why would finding Jesus make him lose the good attributes he had back when he had only been born once? 

Yeah, I've been wondering that, too. And I wonder the same thing -- although in kind of a different way-- about Derick. He was a university mascot, he didn't look like a homeless person, he was happy living on his own in Nepal. Now he's a 100 percent basket case. 

It's like they had potential and energy and were normal as young guys. But then they saw the possibility of riding to success on a Duggar woman's coattails, so they just grabbed on and gave up on everything else....because.... they're older now (30 or pushing it!) and now their true underlying lazy nothing selves have been revealed because their youthful drive has run out?  I don't get it. 

Or maybe it goes back to what I've often thought -- that "Duggar" is a virus. 

4 hours ago, floridamom said:

From that photo, it looks like Jeremy's real ambitions were: Soccer Star, Male Catalog Model.

"Catalog model" pays fairly well, I think. Maybe he should just go for it, since that does look to be his main interest. 

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Or maybe it goes back to what I've often thought -- that "Duggar" is a virus.

Whatever it is, it seems to remove any sort of ambition, work ethic, humor, and personality anyone may have had and replaces it with fuckery. Jeremy played soccer all over Europe as part of the Finnish team, so he’s more worldly and has traveled and seen a lot. Jeremy had the sense at least to keep him and Jinger away from the vortex.  

We all watched Derick, who seemed by all accounts to be a nice kid with a university education, turn into a blathering slacker who looked homeless most of the time.  It’s been really sad to watch him become more and more unhinged, because he showed such promise early on. Ben was just too young and impressionable, but at least he’s no longer making an ass of himself on social media.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

Also, I think when JereME was shopping for a wife, he was actually shopping for a fashion accessory that would compliment him in all those photos we're seeing of them.

I agree. Complement him but not overshadow him since the focus still needs to be on him. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 11
21 hours ago, ariel said:

Looks like Babe forgot to hold a book to remind us of how scholarly he is.

Well, he did mention it was a brisk day in Laredo.  Perhaps his book blew away.

Seriously, I laughed out loud at that photo.

• Love 15

Does Jeremy  have an outside job besides pastor? I've haven't snark watched the Duggars for a while and mostly rely on the boards but I can't remember. My (childhood affiliated) church only pays a stipend so all the ministers always had full time jobs even if the church is very large.  Isn't his church like 20 people or something like that? What do Babe and Jinger do all day seriously? 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Mimiray802 said:

What do Babe and Jinger do all day seriously? 

They get dressed up, take pictures of themselves & post them. Lovey, dovey messages to each other will usually be included. Many think that it is Babe who writes the messages for both of them The pictures also very often include books.  All that narcissism probably eats up much of their day.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Mimiray802 said:

Does Jeremy  have an outside job besides pastor? I've haven't snark watched the Duggars for a while and mostly rely on the boards but I can't remember. My (childhood affiliated) church only pays a stipend so all the ministers always had full time jobs even if the church is very large.  Isn't his church like 20 people or something like that? What do Babe and Jinger do all day seriously? 

He's at a plant church, which argues to me that he's supposed to be doing his utmost to shepherd it into a bigger, healthy church. But while he may be doing thousands of things that have been invisible, aside from a few sermons and baptisms he's posted online and one shot of him and JIngle passing out leaflets at, I think, a local college, I haven't seen much about his involvement with that existing congregation. He posts a lot about his wider theological interests. But, maybe unfairly, I read that as more a bid to rise to some larger and higher churchy post, not really the kind of thing I've seen people doing when they're trying to build an itty bitty group from scratch. And his other job seems to be just TLC filming. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

He's at a plant church, which argues to me that he's supposed to be doing his utmost to shepherd it into a bigger, healthy church. But while he may be doing thousands of things that have been invisible, aside from a few sermons and baptisms he's posted online and one shot of him and JIngle passing out leaflets at, I think, a local college, I haven't seen much about his involvement with that existing congregation. He posts a lot about his wider theological interests. But, maybe unfairly, I read that as more a bid to rise to some larger and higher churchy post, not really the kind of thing I've seen people doing when they're trying to build an itty bitty group from scratch. And his other job seems to be just TLC filming. 

Thanks,  their whole church thing is so foreign to me even though I grew up going to church on a regular basis but African american churches tend to operate so differently so I almost have no point of reference.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Mimiray802 said:

Thanks,  their whole church thing is so foreign to me even though I grew up going to church on a regular basis but African american churches tend to operate so differently so I almost have no point of reference.

Well, I could be leading you astray! I'm no expert either. I grew up going to a mainline Protestant denomination, one of the most liberal ones, and in a big church. At the time the pastors there could live on their salaries, but they also spent huge amounts of time, at least six days a week, working with that congregation, with individuals and all sorts of groups, or on interchurch and interfaith stuff around town. Plus, most of the pastor's wives that I remember had at least part-time jobs of their own, and spent a lot of time involved with church stuff too.

So I don't get it either. Maybe what he's doing is the norm in their circles, but it seems odd to me. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Maybe he has mentally twinned the "ungodly" quest for vain worldly glory as a soccer star, with the work ethic/drive/amount of multitasking and running around that results in getting yourself in contention to be seen as someone at the pinnacle of your class; and decided that both need to go out with the bathwater...?

• Love 1

I can see Jeremy using SM and Duggar adjacent status hoping to be “discovered,” and offered a big church pastor position. The thing is they have a mortgage in Laredo, not a likely move for someone planning to move on soon. Maybe they are counting on their reality stars status to sell the house quickly if opportunity knocks. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I really can't take Jeremee and his pontificating, but one time I was briefly watching one of his sermons on youtube and noticed that the audience included quite a few fundy looking young people.  I expected an Hispanic congregation but I think the Duggar brand has attracted a bunch of their fans as well.  So for the Duggar fans that show up at church, Jeremee is happy to play the TV star and pose for studly photos.

Too bad we don't seem to have an insider in Laredo who could show up and report back just how much attention that church gets.

• Love 10