Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I despise Joel Osteen and his prosperity gospel.  God wants you to be rich!  Because everyone knows Jesus believed in flash and bling.

It ain't Calvinist, that is for sure!  What about those verses that say things like, "if you're not being persecuted and downtrodden as a Christian you're doing it wrong"?

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, graefin said:

Jeremy and Ben seem to be the encouraging type, and also the type to prefer healthy eating (we know the latter holds true for sure about Ben). Naturally, these traits and preferences will also shape Jinger and Jessa's future attitudes and choices.

Also, I think Jeremy has introduced Jinger to a higher standard of restaurant dining than she was used to and that may have helped open her eyes to new ways of eating. When the Duggars dine out, it's always either Fundie-friendly places (like Chik-Fil-A) or places where they can grift for freebies (like that restaurant that gives you a free drippy sundae on your birthday).  But Jeremy seems like he would prefer fancier Bistro-type restaurants and Jinger has probably been exposed to new dishes and attractive presentations. Considering that she was raised on cheap, bland, slapped-together food, things that would seem ordinary to us are probably a revelation to her: "Hey, bright-orange vegetables and bright-green vegetables look pretty when you put them together on a plate! I could do that at home!".

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 22

You would think that after seeing Jinger's posts on vegetables that Jill would up her game, but it seems it hasn't occurred to her. 

I think Jer doesn't REALLY have a good grasp on the theology he espouses- he's understanding a few of the big words and strings them together in pleasing, important-sounding posts and sermons but no, I don't believe he gets it. Nobody could because, in my opinion it's all nonsense.

And count me in on the baby-love. Yay!

Edited by Chicklet
Because
  • Love 11
23 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I consider this green velvet shirt / dress / whatever to be a definite fashion miss...points for trying, though, unlike a few of your sisters...

Jinger looks like Laura Ingalls in that green dress.

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I consider this green velvet shirt / dress / whatever to be a definite fashion miss...points for trying, though, unlike a few of your sisters...

I associate velvet holiday dresses with preteens.  To me, the picture looks like Jer is a mid-thirties dad, and Jin is his teen daughter.  I also think her hair style makes her look like a teenager.  

• Love 13
On 12/21/2018 at 7:40 PM, ginger90 said:

3 pictures 

Wow.  Jer can hand pick veggies from #friendsgarden.  Would be far more impressive if Jer and Jing grew their own little garden and shared with their congregation!!!!!  What a phoney baloney he is.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I associate velvet holiday dresses with preteens.  To me, the picture looks like Jer is a mid-thirties dad, and Jin is his teen daughter.  I also think her hair style makes her look like a teenager.  

I agree. Plus, if an adult is going to wear a velvet dress, it needs to be an adult cut, as well as preferably black. I have a black velvet "fancy" dress, but it looks age appropriate. I definitely see green velvet with puffy fabric above the sleeves to be very juvenile, and better suited to a six-year-old. However, Jinger doesn't really know any of this, since she was brought up grabbing whatever was cheapest at the thrift shop, and didn't have much of a fashion role model in Michelle. The little girls always look like one is going to the opera, one's going to the park to play, one's going to a country music concert, and one's make believing as a princess. 

Here is my adult velvet dress! Got to wear it recently when I went to see Mannheim Steamroller! Awesome show. 

IMG_8231.PNG

• Love 15
1 hour ago, TigerLily20 said:

I have seen the velvet dresses coming back around, I have gotten Christmas cards from adults in full on velvet dresses so it doesn't surprise me to see it here.

I’ve seen a lot of green velvet on adults at holiday parties this year. I’d have to see the rest of Jinger’s outfit to know whether I think it works, but I’m allowing for the possibility that it does. 

• Love 13

I really can’t imagine him emulating jinger. What would that even look like?  Have fewer interests?  Not work or pursue educational opportunities?  

Edited by awaken
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I would wear the hell out of a velvet dress!

i think she is getting ready to cut her hair. She has been pinning it back in a “ugh what can I do with this mop” way instead of a “I watched YouTube videos and am trying to style my hair” kind of way. 

Maybe Felicity has reached a grabby stage and the goal is to get it out of the way of questing little hands ASAP?

• Love 7
10 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

I have seen the velvet dresses coming back around, I have gotten Christmas cards from adults in full on velvet dresses so it doesn't surprise me to see it here.

Add some taffeta and you've got my early 90s bridesmaids dresses.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I agree. Plus, if an adult is going to wear a velvet dress, it needs to be an adult cut, as well as preferably black. I have a black velvet "fancy" dress, but it looks age appropriate. I definitely see green velvet with puffy fabric above the sleeves to be very juvenile, and better suited to a six-year-old. However, Jinger doesn't really know any of this, since she was brought up grabbing whatever was cheapest at the thrift shop, and didn't have much of a fashion role model in Michelle. The little girls always look like one is going to the opera, one's going to the park to play, one's going to a country music concert, and one's make believing as a princess. 

Here is my adult velvet dress! Got to wear it recently when I went to see Mannheim Steamroller! Awesome show. 

IMG_8231.PNG

Very nice dress. 

I agree with you that velvet at holiday can turn juvenile very quickly. With my baby face and high pitched voice I stay away from any sort of “girlish” cuts. Also they look awful on me because I am shaped like a fertility statue. 

Jinger’s dress isn’t bad, but yes I would’ve expected it on Johannah or Jordan. Had the skirt been fitted at the bottom with a slit, that would’ve looked more mature. Her being super thin and straight figured also makes her look younger in that type a dress (like a young girl who hasn’t finished puberty yet). 

I like Felicity’s plaid dress, I’m the rare person who likes her head wraps but that one doesn’t go to the outfit. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, awaken said:

I really can’t imagine him emulating jinger. What would that even look like?  Have fewer interests?  Not work or pursue educational opportunities? 

Everything that Jinger has done to improve herself has been orchestrated by Jeremy. She dresses better, keeps a clean house, takes good care of the baby, eats healthier and gets out in the world more than any of the others in her family. 

This makes him look better, but the bar is dragging the floor if he emulates her.

Is he just using a big word without realizing it’s  meaning?

Unlike Jinger, he’s not meek, naive,undereducated and unworldly, and I doubt that’s what he would aspire to be, and I sense that he doesn’t  want Jinger to become more educated and well read because then she might have her own opinions.

As long as Jinger stays the way she is, Jeremy’s got control, and so far, Jinger, basking in her new world,is lapping it up.

And,  what’s with the “my dear”. He sounds like a stuffy  old man. The whole message is stilted, certainly not the way young marrieds talk to each other. He needs to lighten up.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jinger’s dress isn’t bad, but yes I would’ve expected it on Johannah or Jordan.

I think, maybe, you meant that you would have expected it on someone Johanna or Jordan's AGE. Of course, if they were wearing it, it might well be in the same size that Jinger is wearing -- 3-5 sizes too big for them, but Jinger's dress is new and clean, and it fits her. There's no way Johanna or Jordan would ever be wearing something with any of those adjectives associated with it.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

A snarky soul in the comments asked if Jinger still shops exclusively at Goodwill.  I don’t think you could pay her to go back.

The sad thing is, I bet that dress costs a fortune! It's funny when you go to stores like Banana republic or Brooks Brothers...sometimes the clothes are on point, but sometimes they are expensive and fugly! My sister works for Ralph Lauren headquarters, and she is always bringing home hideous $2,000 outfits that they couldn't sell. I think that's the danger of shopping in higher end stores when you've been totally sheltered from the world. You can't just walk in there and assume everything is in style. 

ETA: thanks @Scarlett45 and @floridamom!!! 😃

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 2

Is that prairie thing from the 80s coming back?

If so, that might explain that dress.

We wore ruffles. We wore full skirts and concha belts. We wore JUMPERS with ruffles. And I was working at Conde Nast (home to Vogue, Mademoiselle and Self) at the time.

Must go lie down until the visuals pass.

• Love 18
11 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I think, maybe, you meant that you would have expected it on someone Johanna or Jordan's AGE. Of course, if they were wearing it, it might well be in the same size that Jinger is wearing -- 3-5 sizes too big for them, but Jinger's dress is new and clean, and it fits her. There's no way Johanna or Jordan would ever be wearing something with any of those adjectives associated with it.

Yes I did mean Johannah or Jordan’s age😁. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Unfortunately, that's because it was prescribed for her cult by an evil old fart who spent decades cornering vulnerable teenage girls and pleasuring himself by kicking his and their shoes off and standing on their feet! .... And because he figured he might be able to get his rocks off perpetually by ordering all the females in the group to wear these teenage hairstyles -- so no matter where he looked he could imagine he was seeing his favorite fetishized sex object. 

I'm agnostic on the dresses (and I would be on the hair, too, actually, if she weren't wearing it because of the coercive cult leader.)

I'd rather see people wear styles that feel good to them and express their own personal images and tastes instead of following fashions or somebody else's arbitrary rules. Whether that means wearing old-fashioned velvet dresses or metal bikinis, it's fine with me as long as you're expressing your personal self image and myth. If somebody was brainwashed or coerced into having a certain image -- whether by parents or inescapable fashion trends -- then I take a different view.

With what we've seen from Jingle (and Jill, actually) since leaving the TTH, I think they're groping their way toward dressing in line with self-created personal images, so I'm  inclined to cut both of them a lot of slack on clothes. Trying to become your own person and expressing that is a halting process under the best of circumstances, and the Duggarlings have been crippled beyond belief when it comes to that, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, bythelake said:

He needs to lighten up.

Something tells me that's never gonna happen. He's way too concerned with maintaining an image that'll make people look up to him in reverence and think he's clever, I expect. 

• Love 16
53 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Is that prairie thing from the 80s coming back?

If so, that might explain that dress.

We wore ruffles. We wore full skirts and concha belts. We wore JUMPERS with ruffles. And I was working at Conde Nast (home to Vogue, Mademoiselle and Self) at the time.

Must go lie down until the visuals pass.

And when the powers that be in the fashion industry push those dresses back into fashion -- and they will because literally everything out of fashion is brought back into fashion in some form and at some point -- they're just aren't enough options otherwise -- everybody'll be wearing that stuff all over again. They must keep changing fashion drastically enough to keep us buying ....

And while with women's fashion, we can be deluded into thinking that today's clothes express something kind of essential about our time and the women of our time, by and large that isn't really true.

To see how meaningless it all is, just think about the shifting fashions in men's ties. .... How one five-year period absolutely requires narrow ties and guys who continue to wear broader ones get scorn heaped upon them.... And then, after everyone has been so shamed and embarrassed about their broad ties that they've thrown them out and own only narrow ones, oops! The broad ones suddenly reappear and become the only style that doesn't make you look like an old man or a teenager or a bum or something.... And shame is now heaped on those who keep wearing their narrow ones. 

Lather. Rinse, Repeat. (EMLTA: Another bullshit commercial mantra to get us to buy and use more stuff than is good for us and our environment, too, I might add!)

Our herd-animal nature costs us a ton of money, virtually all our individuality, and in the case of the garment industry -- a whole helluva a lot of our wild and clean environment as well, unfortunately. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

And when the powers that be in the fashion industry push those dresses back into fashion -- and they will because literally everything out of fashion is brought back into fashion in some form and at some point -- they're just aren't enough options otherwise -- everybody'll be wearing that stuff all over again. They must keep changing fashion drastically enough to keep us buying ....

And while with women's fashion, we can be deluded into thinking that today's clothes express something kind of essential about our time and the women of our time, by and large that isn't really true.

To see how meaningless it all is, just think about the shifting fashions in men's ties. .... How one five-year period absolutely requires narrow ties and guys who continue to wear broader ones get scorn heaped upon them.... And then, after everyone has been so shamed and embarrassed about their broad ties that they've thrown them out and own only narrow ones, oops! The broad ones suddenly reappear and become the only style that doesn't make you look like an old man or a teenager or a bum or something.... And shame is now heaped on those who keep wearing their narrow ones. 

Lather. Rinse, Repeat. 

Our herd-animal nature costs us a ton of money, virtually all our individuality, and in the case of the garment industry -- a whole helluva a lot of our wild and clean environment as well, unfortunately. 

All so very true. Thank goodness for a few classics and thank goodness for being at an age where I don't give a shit. :)

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think the shade of green looks nice on Jinger and I'm not opposed to velvet, but those ruffles make the dress look too little girlish. 

Yes, it's the shoulder ruffles that are the problem here, IMO.  The A line skirt is ok considering Jinjer is only 25.  I have a deep red, sheath style long sleeved velvet dress that I wear at the holidays and there is nothing juvenile about it, IMO, but it doesn't have ruffles and it has a neckline that flatters the female bust which also helps in making it age appropriate.  I think that shade of green is a very good one for Jinjer.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 12

Haha I have been having fun looking up velvet styles for Jinger (especially in green!). 

Too bad this isn't an option. Jinger has a good body type for it, and would rock it!

IMG_8236.PNG

This would work, maybe minus the slit. She would look awesome!

IMG_8233.PNG

Also she could do this:

IMG_8237.PNG

I looooove this! This is such a sexy cut IMO, and gives me 1930's vibes. I would totally wear this myself. Too bad she couldn't consider it!

IMG_8234.PNG

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Haha I have been having fun looking up velvet styles for Jinger (especially in green!). 

Too bad this isn't an option. Jinger has a good body type for it, and would rock it!

IMG_8236.PNG

IMG_8233.PNG

Also she could do this:

IMG_8237.PNG

I looooove this! This is such a sexy cut IMO, and gives me 1930's vibes. I would totally wear this myself. Too bad she couldn't consider it!

IMG_8234.PNG

That third one is my favorite. I like that fourth look, but it strikes me as more of a bathrobe (granted, a sexy '30s look bathrobe) than a dress. I had a green velvet holiday dress some years ago - probably about 20 years ago, now that I come to think of it - I still have it, actually, since it was really flattering, but I will probably never see that weight again. It was a long dress with a bit of a slit, an empire waist and a sort of (gathered?/smocked?/ruched?) satiny fabric upper section (not sure how to describe it), and a rhinestone accent. Not sure whether it would be anything like in style anymore, but I never much pay attention to style, to be honest. If it fit, I'd still wear it.

I actually like Jinger's dress, though the ruffles are maybe a bit much, but not so as to bother me.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Lather. Rinse, Repeat. (EMLTA: Another bullshit commercial mantra to get us to buy and use more stuff than is good for us and our environment, too, I might add!)

This!  I was just saying to my husband yesterday that eyeglass frames are pretty large now and have been for a while.  They are probably about to become outdated and replaced with tiny, round, pointy or some other feature as being the in-style glasses making all these big, thick frames look outdated.    I'd hate to be as scrutinized as Jinger is.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

IMG_8236.PNG

IMG_8233.PNG

Also she could do this:

IMG_8237.PNG

IMG_8234.PNG

I'd think she could get away with the third one down maybe. They'd call it too short, I'm sure, and with a neckline just a tad too low -- but both of those are on the border of acceptability, looks like.......

I was forced to dress in a majorly repressed fashion for my whole at-home life, too, though......And for some people -- I know, because I'm one of them -- it takes a long long time for it not to be not just mentally but physically uncomfortable to be wearing things very far from what you were allowed to wear. Non-turtlenecks made me uncomfortable for years. Jingle being meek and all, it would surprise me if she isn't at least sort of like this. ... And she has branched out into pants -- and dresses that come closer than before to being form fitting. I don't think we can expect her to make too many big leaps quickly. 

• Love 11