Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

This and a reminder why the Vuolos are the most "dangerous" fundies. Jeremy is Jim Bob except dressed better and not obsessed with procreating an army for Jesus.

Right?! I'm worried that the day when we can't say a critical word about the Vuolos isn't that far in the future...

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

Jeremy's tweets wouldn't enlarge for me.  What did they say?

A sad reality regarding many Christians' use of social media is how quickly biblical truths are simply abandoned—a biblical amnesia of sorts. Do we really suppose that, because a keyboard and screen divide us from those to whom we type, we are free from the law of Christ?

Don't we know that "the tongue" in James 3 applies to our typing-fingers? In fact, so does the entire chapter... "5 The tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!"

Are we pondering these truths as we tweet what we tweet? "9 With [our tongue] we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God."

Does Matt. 18:15-18 or Gal. 6:1-2 have any bearing on how we rebuke/correct/exhort other Christians on these platforms? "1 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness...."

Is 2 Tim. 2:24 our protocol for online debate? "24...the Lord's servant must not be QUARRELSOME but KIND to EVERYONE, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, 25 correcting his opponents with GENTLENESS. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,"

The Lordship of Christ dictates that his Word rules over every aspect of our lives, including our use of social media platforms. "From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so." - James 3:10

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Right?! I'm worried that the day when we can't say a critical word about the Vuolos isn't that far in the future...

I think it's already happened. Jilly Muffin has made a lot of the changes Jinger has (albeit to not such great success) and she's snarked upon endlessly. Different standards I suppose.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I think it's already happened. Jilly Muffin has made a lot of the changes Jinger has (albeit to not such great success) and she's snarked upon endlessly. Different standards I suppose.

Superficially, Jinger's life sort of fits the fantasy of a handsome man swooping in to rescue the damsel in distress from her evil family, which is why she and Jeremy are given a lot more credit than Derick and Jill. Not that I think Derick and Jill deserve any credit, but those two couples aren't at all different from each other besides looks and cleanliness.

• Love 13
52 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Superficially, Jinger's life sort of fits the fantasy of a handsome man swooping in to rescue the damsel in distress from her evil family, which is why she and Jeremy are given a lot more credit than Derick and Jill. Not that I think Derick and Jill deserve any credit, but those two couples aren't at all different from each other besides looks and cleanliness.

True and Jill was always portrayed as insufferable on the show whereas everyone wanted to "Free Jinger" because she was spunky. Which has happened, to an extent. To what extent we don't know. I just hope she's taking the freedom from being away from Arkansas to further herself and become something more than what she was taught to be. In everyone's minds, Jill has gotten her just desserts.

It didn't take long for the tides to turn against Derick once it was obvious he was no better than the rest. Jeremy's time will come. I take no glee in if he cheats on Jinger for the record. Just like I take no glee in if Derick fails out of law school. However, I remain skeptical of Jeremy's motives in seeking out someone like Jinger. "Worldly" men who sees themselves as some sort of intellectual tends not to seek out women who were purposely infantalized throughout their entire lives.

If this was any other couple in the world people would be up in arms and not seeing it as some romantic love story.

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 15

I do wonder sometimes about what would have happened if Jill had married Jeremy or someone similar.  Would people still be as critical? Would she have spread her wings and adapted to be more like him? Same thoughts about Jinger marrying a Derick. I wonder how different the conversation would be about her. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Christina87 said:

There is no persecution here, simply different views.  People critical of this couple have always been, and always will be allowed to post.  Just as those who support, or are less critical are allowed the same right.

Honestly, this is just a message board.  And presumably, none of us know these people personally, so I don't understand the over-dramatization.  

Very cute shot of Felicity.  She seems to be a happy baby.

• Love 21
40 minutes ago, leighdear said:

There is no persecution here, simply different views.  People critical of this couple have always been, and always will be allowed to post.  Just as those who support, or are less critical are allowed the same right.

Honestly, this is just a message board.  And presumably, none of us know these people personally, so I don't understand the over-dramatization.  

Very cute shot of Felicity.  She seems to be a happy baby.

I’m with you, I don’t know or feel anything about Jeremy Vuolo except that I feel I haven’t seen enough about him to know anything about him, lol.

ETA to add:  I think people often don’t like Jill because of the fact that she’s been dubbed primary snitch amongst the siblings, by the siblings; plus she couldn’t wait to sit on Jinger scolding her to live where the Lord planted her and to shut up about her city longing. Derick didn’t seem tell Jill to shut up about falling shower curtains and thrive where the Lord had planted her in Danger America...

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Wow what a present - The Mortification of Sin.  I'm thankful this season to not know one person IRL who would appreciate such a gift.

I laughed so hard at John Calvin's letters. Just what everyone wants to read in their downtime on Christmas Day! 

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

How many hours until Jill follows Banner of Truth, tags two friends and hashtags @banneroftruth? 

Hmm...she’s probably gethe boys to bed right now. Her husband might or not be studying tonight. I’ll guess either 2 hours or tomorrow morning depending on if she needs to do her wifely duties tonight. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Wow what a present - The Mortification of Sin.  I'm thankful this season to not know one person IRL who would appreciate such a gift.

Well, if we read these MANY VERY enthusiastic reviews of this apparent Puritan classic over at Amazon, we may all change our minds about this.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZSHP3E/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

One reviewer quotes this line as among his big faves in this little volume: "Mortification from a self-strength, carried on by ways of self-invention, unto the end of a self-righteousness, is the soul and substance of all false religion in the world."

And I GUESS it means that the most false thing in the world is the idea that any human can ever actually eschew the desires of the flesh through their own will and self-discipline....that we're completely powerless to control ourselves. .... 

But while I get where they're coming from when they write stuff like this.... yeesh, what a depressing thought, to me, taken to its limits like this. Have a hard time seeing how you could really be excited to hear it -- although I suppose it gets you off the hook in a way. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

How many hours until Jill follows Banner of Truth, tags two friends and hashtags @banneroftruth? 

Jill would get these books to read to her toddler sons at bedtime!  Derick would hold them down, forcing them to sit still for these reading sessions.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 14

The Duggars, Vuolos, etc are their own brand and I'm guessing I might be more thoughtful in my photographs if I was selling myself. If we look at it at selling their brand the Vuolos win hands down.

Yeah, Instagram is a marketing tool for certain types of careers. I know people hate to call being a reality TV star a career, but it is for Jeremy and Jinger. I appreciate that they take it seriously and put care and work into their Instagram. It's probably more bang for the buck, honestly, than Jeremy's work on his pastoral career. 

And their photos are much more fun to consume than the other Duggars. I don't know if it's Jeremy, Jinger, or both of them, but they do a good job with composition and filters. 

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, mimionthebeach said:

It's nicely written, God stuff notwithstanding. Am I harsh in assuming someone with some education edited?

I do like that she's alluding to an actual personality in her daughter. Her mother struggles to do that with any of her crotch droppings. 

"Crotch droppings"!  I love that!

• Love 12
2 hours ago, mimionthebeach said:

It's nicely written, God stuff notwithstanding. Am I harsh in assuming someone with some education edited?

I do like that she's alluding to an actual personality in her daughter. Her mother struggles to do that with any of her crotch droppings. 

Jeremy may have helped her with the composition.  Most of her posts show adequate word usage, grammar and punctuation, so it may have all be her. 

She's very explicit in the use of "I", "Me" and "My", without ever referencing her mother or her sisters that also have children.  Snap!  Regardless of the prompt for that, she's making it crystal clear how important her child is to her.  Even with the God references, Jing is making her own statement.  Not sure why, but good for her. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 20
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jeremy's pimping now. It was only a matter of time... (2 pics)

Not what I would want to see under the tree! Though my best friend's husband would be thrilled. 

6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The first part about Felicity was nice, the second was pure Sanctimommy. 

I'm not saying children aren't a gift, but the tone came off like she's lecturing women on how they should feel and that they're wrong if they don't view motherhood the same way she does. 

Dial it down a notch, Jingle. You're currently the darling of the bunch, but public opinion can turn very quickly. 

I thought it was sweet. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Kbo said:

Agree. It’s like the Duggars who’ve been married ten minutes trying to give advice on marriage. Stuff it!  It’s not even that I disagree with the general sentiment, but her baby is a few months old. Wait until your little darling can talk back and be a pain in the neck.  Motherhood is not all sunshine and roses, no matter how much you love your kids. 

Very true. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Who is she trying to lecture?

And in such lofty terms? Because you know damn good and well that Jinger didn't create those sentences.

"It’s a gift not to be taken for granted and it’s a gift that ought not be despised" Oh, shut the fuck up, you ignorant asshole.

• Love 21

I have edited her post to make it sound less like a sanctimonious church lecture ::::

Motherhood is a gift for which I thank God every day. It’s a unique gift that allows me to demonstrate toward my daughter the love that God has graciously demonstrated toward me. 

I love it that the first thing I see in the morning is her little smile. I love it that she can’t contain her excitement when she hears her daddy’s voice. I love it that she crinkles her nose when she laughs...just like I do. I love it that she is my daughter.

Also, I feel like she wrote the parts that sound human, and jeremy wrote the other gift word vomit nonsense. Two totally different tones. She could have just put 

"I love it that the first thing I see in the morning is her little smile. I love it that she can’t contain her excitement when she hears her daddy’s voice. I love it that she crinkles her nose when she laughs...just like I do. I love it that she is my daughter."

And be done with it. Why does she need to preach to us about motherhood? Like the poster said before me, shut up!!!

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 24

"Despised?"  WTF?

Sanctimonious and then some.  Bleh.

Oh, and I like the nose-wrinkling thing, but I noticed in some old clips, Boob does it too.  Cute on Jin and Lissy, ugly on Boob.  Of course, I find him repulsive every which way.

• Love 17
42 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

"Despised?"  WTF?

Sanctimonious and then some.  Bleh.

Oh, and I like the nose-wrinkling thing, but I noticed in some old clips, Boob does it too.  Cute on Jin and Lissy, ugly on Boob.  Of course, I find him repulsive every which way.

Oh, no, why'd you have to tell me that?! Now I'm going to have to wash my brain clean before I can like it on Jingle and Felicity again!  ;  )

Had no idea that Boob did it .... because I refuse to look at Boob unless I'm taken completely by surprise by his moving image....And then I turn it off as fast as possible. 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What an adorable picture. But implying that Michelle was gracious and responsible in her parenting? I'm going with an explicit no.

I think she’s referring to God not the incubator.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Temperance said:

She must have a pretty easy-going baby, who allows her to get enough sleep. Of course she has the time to nap when the baby naps. Some women don't have a choice; they have to go to work to provide for their child/ren. If the baby keeps them up, they still have to go to work, because that's life.  And people can struggle with all different stages of having children.

So Felicity = Jill, which makes Jinger a lot like Michelle, who once said, while talking about what a perfect baby and toddler Jill was, "If Jill had been our first child, I would have thought we had this whole parenting thing in the bag!"

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kbo said:

Agree. It’s like the Duggars who’ve been married ten minutes trying to give advice on marriage. Stuff it!  It’s not even that I disagree with the general sentiment, but her baby is a few months old. Wait until your little darling can talk back and be a pain in the neck.  Motherhood is not all sunshine and roses, no matter how much you love your kids. 

This bunch puts them on a blanket once they start to gain some sort of personality or shove them off to one of the older female children. Of course motherhood is sunshine and roses for most of them.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

"Motherhood is a gift. It’s a gift not to be taken for granted and it’s a gift that ought not be despised."

I expect that part is a slam against us heathens, whom Duggars and Duggar adjacents believe to despise motherhood because we believe in stuff like careers for mothers who want them, divorces for mothers married to men who don't love them, birth control, access to abortion and so on. 

I doubt that Jingle consciously stuck it in. But it's certainly a major mantra of Gothard-dom as well as the theology mavens that Jer and the other Duggar adjacents hang around, so I'm sure it's part of her mental vocabulary, whether she's actually thought much about what it means or not. 

Ironically, as others have pointed out, it seems likely that her own super-godly mother actually does despise motherhood. Except for Joshley -- her trophy for starting the marathon -- and Josie -- her final trophy -- she's never seemed to give a crap for an offspring over 6 months of age. And apparently she likes the infants only because they're quick proof of her own amazingness...and farmed out the actual mothering of any and all non-infants to children, once she had a girl child who was old enough ("old enough" being defined as what, age 7 or thereabouts?) 

I'm sure Jingle's quite sincere in adoring Felicity and loving being a mom and in her feelings about it all being a sign of God's presence, too. And I don't have any quarrel with her on any of that. 

Woman lives in a world of delusion, though, when it comes to ideas like "the secular world DESPISES motherhood!" and "mama is godly" (which isn't stated but which I think we all pretty much believe is implied.).  JB and M's indelible brainwashing strikes again, I guess. 

That one sentence made me despise her.

• Love 17

I don't despise her for saying it, because I know a few mother's who despise their children. Makes me wish I'd had the privilege of having children, but I was never so blessed.

But coming from Ginger ( I know it's spelled with a J, but my auto correct kept changing it to hunger and wouldn't stop), I can see why it's offensive. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, DangerousMinds said:

That one sentence made me despise her.

Yeah, I feel that way about the sentence but not really about Jingle.

I can't believe she's anything but a completely ignorant brainwashed puppet who's heard EVERYBODY around her say that her whole life about non-conservative, non-evangelical people -- and now she hears her husband and her in-laws saying it, too, plus all the new muckety-mucks from another religion branch that they're exposing her to. While she herself has never looked into it (I don't think Gothard women look into anything ... ) or ever even thought that it's saying a rotten thing about REAL PEOPLE -- rather than just about the caricature people that JB and M et al have told her she must fear and shun because we're all the devil. I'd bet that many of the Duggarlings never even imagine the people they condemn to hell as being people in the same sense that they are............We're just a bunch of heathen concepts. ....

Hard for me to actually blame people that I suspect are that isolated, ignorant and robotic. ...........But to me they truly "know not what they do." So I just feel kind of despairing about how many of them there are. .........Especially with this clan, who don't seem to have produced one single person so far who's ever looked a millimeter beyond his or her own nose. 

• Love 21