Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Oh, no, why'd you have to tell me that?! Now I'm going to have to wash my brain clean before I can like it on Jingle and Felicity again!  ;  )

Had no idea that Boob did it .... because I refuse to look at Boob unless I'm taken completely by surprise by his moving image....And then I turn it off as fast as possible. 

I wish I could unsee it!  You are so right in switching him off.  I find him so repulsive.

• Love 3

Sorry if I missed it and this has been noted, but the gift that "ought not be despised" is Jinger quoting John Calvin, I think. I found it here and here.

Edited by jcbrown
evidently the phrase is one of Calvin's favorites
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

Sorry if I missed it and this has been noted, but the gift that "ought not be despised" is Jinger quoting John Calvin, I think. I found it here and here.

Did he say that MOTHERHOOD ought not to be despised, though? He uses the word "despised" but it seems to me that he's saying more like that LIFE is a gift not to be despised. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Did he say that MOTHERHOOD ought not to be despised, though? He uses the word "despised" but it seems to me that he's saying more like that LIFE is a gift not to be despised. 

No, he did not. She is paraphrasing. It's just the "ought not to be despised" that sent me googling because that is not a native phrase I would expect from Jinger.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

No, he did not. She is paraphrasing. It's just the "ought not to be despised" that sent me googling because that is not a native phrase I would expect from Jinger.

Yeah I agree with you, although it didn't occur to me to google it. With Calvin, I would expect he was talking about salvation.

• Love 1

Yeah, I didn't see any criticism of any parent's behavior in the post that Jingle put up.   She only referred to herself.  

And while it's very true she's been a wife and mother for a relatively short time, she HAS been surrounded by up to 20 other individuals for her entire life. 

For her ENTIRE LIFE, until she married Jeremy, about half of the people she lived with and spent almost every waking hour with were surrounding her, needed help eating, dressing and going to the bathroom.  I'd say that's a damn good training ground for dealing with 1 husband and 1 baby and she appears to have some perspective.

I think she's put in her time ( 22 years of it) with the drooling diaper crowd and the suffocating older siblings, plus her crazy-ass parents.  I cut her some slack, but  YMMV

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 22

I don’t know about Calvin’s teachings and don’t care, but I suspect you are on to something that was just quoting something or other.

That being said, what came to my mind with the “ought not be despised” thing is that she spends a lot of time on social media, and social media is covered with jokes and “jokes” about counting down til bedtime, drinking wine to get through the day with children, etc etc etc. I took a two year break from Facebook and am just now starting to get on it here and there, and all the negativity in general is striking, and in particular all bitching and griping about motherhood. Maybe Jinger’s social media feed is also inundated with it.

• Love 2
On 12/13/2018 at 11:18 PM, jcbrown said:

Okay, I get it. Yeah, she's definitely parroting language that you'd see in translations of Calvin (he wrote in French and Latin, not English). Most translations you see are older and that's a somewhat archaic phrasing in our day when we see little formal language.  Of course, basically all religious talk among Duggars is parroting. They were brought up 100 percent to value memorization and parroting, not thinking anything through in your own terms. Just like her stupid parents parrot the same damn phrases in everybody's birthday messages year after year after year and insist that the KJV is the Bible and having Spurge or Izzie or Josie recite passages from it without understanding a single syllable constitutes great religious activity.

I'm pretty sure that the exact idea, though -- motherhood being despised -- wouldn't have come from Calvin himself or from others of his time. I don't think life at the time would have made that particular idea occur to anybody. These days, though, Ii's something that's frequently said and written by various groups of fundies. It came up for them as they began to be angry about birth control, abortion and women in the workplace. And their way of condemning those things has been to say that they equal "despising motherhood" and that motherhood "ought not to be despised." A false slur against most people, but kind of an effective one, or at least a mean and nasty one. I believe in birth control, access to abortion and jobs for women and I certainly don't despise motherhood. I'm sure Jeremy, his dad, and Gothard have said those exact words quite a few times, though, so Jingle's heard them over and over (not only do they embrace that idea but they like old-fashioned language, too -- one of the few things I agree with them on, I guess!)... (although it's also possible that Jer threw in that particular phrase into Jingle's piece, too, I suppose)

49 minutes ago, Broken Ox said:

Didn't credit the recipe to an old family friend or steal pics from the internet.

And didn't pretend it was Meeechelle's recipe.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
56 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Of course, basically all religious talk among Duggars is parroting. They were brought up 100 percent to value memorization and parroting, not thinking anything through in your own terms. Just like her stupid parents parrot the same damn phrases in everybody's birthday messages year after year after year and insist that the KJV is the Bible and having Spurge or Izzie or Josie recite passages from it without understanding a single syllable constitutes great religious activity.

I like this so much that I've responded to it over in the "Old Time Religion" topic. Well said, @Churchhoney.

• Love 7
On 12/13/2018 at 12:00 AM, Spencer Hastings said:

It occurred to me that this might be a response to some post-partum depression. It may very well be some innocent subset of their Jesus-all-the-time babble, but it did strike me that it was similar to the "marriage counseling" exercises that Jill and Derick were doing a couple of years ago. If Jinger was feeling exhausted and overwhelmed by motherhood, I'm sure that the "counseling" would involve telling her to say (and post) over and over "I love being a mother." She looks well and happy and engaged with her daughter, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

It occurred to me that this might be a response to some post-partum depression. It may very well be some innocent subset of their Jesus-all-the-time babble, but it did strike me that it was similar to the "marriage counseling" exercises that Jill and Derick were doing a couple of years ago. If Jinger was feeling exhausted and overwhelmed by motherhood, I'm sure that the "counseling" would involve telling her to say (and post) over and over "I love being a mother." She looks well and happy and engaged with her daughter, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

It would explain why we see more of Jeremy with the baby than Jinger - besides the obvious.

• Love 4

That's pretty normal though. I look at my friend's FB pics of their kids, I see 100 pics of the kids and dad and like 3 of the kids and mom. I'd say it's because I'm looking at Mom's page but it even holds true for Dad's pages. 

• Love 5

That's literally the first recipe from anybody in this family that I actually want to try.  The fact that you don't have to roll then cut them, or even press them flat has me sold.  And I'm a fanatic for any type of spiced cookie.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 9

So Jinger got the recipe from on-line, but I can't tell who came up with this recipe. 

18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jill, take notes. 5 pics

Am I missing something or did she not give credit to where she found the recipe? If she didn't give credit to the site, blogger, etc., then she loses points from me. (I know recipes aren't copyright; it still seems to be right way to go.) 

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jill, take notes. 5 pics

I just finished making these, using Jinger's recipe.  I grew up making the ones from Better Homes and Garden cookbook, but they call for shortning, which I no longer use. These call for butter.  Mine turned out great but they don't have as many dimples in them as Jinger's show.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Temperance said:

So Jinger got the recipe from on-line, but I can't tell who came up with this recipe. 

Am I missing something or did she not give credit to where she found the recipe? If she didn't give credit to the site, blogger, etc., then she loses points from me. (I know recipes aren't copyright; it still seems to be right way to go.) 

No, she didn't give credit. I doubt that SOTDRT ever got as far as term papers. 

I will say that it's possible she took an online recipe and tinkered with it. Maybe she knows enough about baking or her tastes in cookies to do that. And if so, then she's off the hook. .... I don't know that we have any evidence that she's a big baker, but who knows? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

No, she didn't give credit. I doubt that SOTDRT ever got as far as term papers. 

I will say that it's possible she took an online recipe and tinkered with it. Maybe she knows enough about baking or her tastes in cookies to do that. And if so, then she's off the hook. .... I don't know that we have any evidence that she's a big baker, but who knows? 

Wasn't Jinger the one who made homemade bread in some of the earlier episodes?

• Love 5
Just now, jcbrown said:

Wasn't Jinger the one who made homemade bread in some of the earlier episodes?

Well, I've never actually watched -- I just read and occasionally look at a snippet on youtube or somewhere -- but now that you mention it, this kind of rings a bell with me, too. 

• Love 1

... as a Backstreet Boys fan, this is the most relatable thing Jeremy has ever done.

First, this Stan guy is wrong; Shape of My Heart is fine, but not the best BSB song. (Nick is, too. Don't Want To Lose You Now? Again, it's fine.) Jeremy is correct: I Want It That Way is probably the best, but if not the best definitely the most iconic (followed probably by Everybody (Backstreet's Back). 

Second, I'd also defend Jeremy's statement that he wasn't aware people stopped listening to the Backstreet Boys. (For real though, their sound evolves. In A World Like This was a pretty good overall adult pop album I enjoyed immensely. And yes, I'm looking forward to their new album in January. I like Chances more than Don't Go Breaking My Heart, but we'll see how the whole thing is. Anyway, ahem.)

Ugh. Why you gotta go and make yourself relatable, Jeremy?

... but the biggest question is: how did this Twitter argument get into Nick Carter's radar and why did he feel compelled to respond?

Edited by McManda
  • Love 19

Me: Ooooh, I can write about BSB AND it’ll be on topic! 

I agree with both of them. First of all, “I Want It That Way” is probably the most iconic BSB song, but it’s also the most overplayed.  “Shape of My Heart” is terrible and was only put out to keep the money train coming after the major success of Millenium. In my (correct) opinion, “Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely” is absolutely the most underrated BSB song. Fight me, Jeremy. 

It’s a shame that his wife doesn’t have a horse in this race. 

• Love 15
22 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I agree with both of them. First of all, “I Want It That Way” is probably the most iconic BSB song, but it’s also the most overplayed.  “Shape of My Heart” is terrible and was only put out to keep the money train coming after the major success of Millenium. In my (correct) opinion, “Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely” is absolutely the most underrated BSB song. Fight me, Jeremy. 

It’s a shame that his wife doesn’t have a horse in this race. 

(Bolded mine) SLOW CLAP. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

My thoughts exactly!!!  Huge fan over here.  Stop doing things that make me like you Jeremy.  Grrrr.

Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely is an amazing beautiful song.  Come at me if you think differently.  I also think Incomplete is lovely.

People still listen to Backstreet Boys, at least in my area. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Babies are cute, but how many pictures of the same baby in different outfits and headgear can the average person take?  At this point all the Felicity pics are starting to feel like ads in a magazine or on a website I glance at and move on. 

While she's endlessly fascinating to her parents, as it should be, I'm bored with it all.  I see more of her than I do of my own grandkid.  Poor kid is what, three months old and already overexposed.

• Love 24

Today Grace Church Laredo posted a live feed of Jeremy's sermon. I watched it for like five minutes, and literally couldn't figure out what the crap he was saying. It was even worse than Bin! He literally couldn't string a sentence together. The whole thing I saw was, "we see...the Bible tells us...according to...well, you know...faith...in the words of John...we go back to...faith...ummmm...in the Bible..."

To those of you who have seen his sermons before, are they always like this?! His lack of even putting together a cogent thought was frightening. He didn't say anything that made sense while I watched. 

Annnnnnd it thoroughly convinced me that he will never, ever be a televangelist!

• Love 12

I wonder what would have happened if any of these insta-couples had birthed an unattractive colicky nonstop screamer. (And yes, all babies are beautiful but let’s face it, some take a while...my own nephew has incredibly attractive, intelligent parents and the kid’s first couple of years he was...neither. My secret name for him is Baby Potato Head.)

I don’t see that going well. OTOH, the Duggar family’s only real skill is denial, so maybe they would have convinced themselves Screamer Baby was just perfect.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Today Grace Church Laredo posted a live feed of Jeremy's sermon. I watched it for like five minutes, and literally couldn't figure out what the crap he was saying. It was even worse than Bin! He literally couldn't string a sentence together. The whole thing I saw was, "we see...the Bible tells us...according to...well, you know...faith...in the words of John...we go back to...faith...ummmm...in the Bible..."

To those of you who have seen his sermons before, are they always like this?! His lack of even putting together a cogent thought was frightening. He didn't say anything that made sense while I watched. 

Annnnnnd it thoroughly convinced me that he will never, ever be a televangelist!

In a word, Yes.

I watched part of a recent one, too, and -- believe it or not -- he was actually much better than he used to be.....In addition to his sermons' overall incoherence, he used to always talk in this kinda creepy monotonic whisper (and I'm not kidding) throughout his very long spiels. Now he sounds more like somebody who is currently among the living, at least.

He doesn't seem to have gotten any more coherent, smart or interested in actual communication, though. And since he's clearly been working to improve,  I'd say he's probably hit a plateau....

ETA: Since I'm pretty sure Jer basically is Grace Church Laredo, he's almost certainly the one posting his sermons up there. ... Which suggests to me that he actually thinks he's good. Because would the Jer we see on social media really post 50-minute-long videos of himself if he knew they sucked?  And if he does think he's good at this point, then that's even worse news for his job prospects, seems to me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 22

My spouse and I are church shopping, and the church we visited this morning was pastored by what I can only assume is JereMe's lost twin. I was predisposed to dislike him, but our guy was a little cuter and considerably more sincere. 

Edited by Portia
  • Love 6