Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

If I read the article correctly there has been 3 confirmed cases. Out of a church of 7000 that is not many. I do believe they are wrong for not following guidelines and there may be more cases that they have not admitted to but for me 3 is a small number. 

• Love 3

If I read the article correctly there has been 3 confirmed cases

I guess time will tell. The article also mentions that MacArthur was skeptical about the seriousness of the virus. I am inclined to think that more people have contracted Covid and not reported it. As several people become ill and require medical care the actual numbers will be made public.

• Love 19

I expect getting tested was discouraged so it was three people who ended up needing medical care and who knows how many others.  At his age you'd think MacArthur would have wanted to take the careful path.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
20 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I expect getting tested was discouraged so it was three people who ended up needing medical care and who knows how many others.  

Yeah and depending on how early this has been caught, there's no telling who else in the congregation is walking around like a coronavirus Typhoid Mary or has been infected and has just not developed symptoms yet. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm actually going to agree with MacArthur. Thousands of maskless people swarmed the Staples center to celebrate the Lakers win and the cops didn't shut them down, so why can't a few hundred gather for church? 

The difference I see is the church gatherings are planned to occur each week. The Lakers celebration was a spontaneous one time thing.

• Love 16
29 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The difference I see is the church gatherings are planned to occur each week. The Lakers celebration was a spontaneous one time thing.

And maybe you would have more elderly or vulnerable people at church? But yes, there isn't a really good balance going on here. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

The church did have permission to hold outdoor services, although they were supposed to social distance and mask.

But they insisted on indoor services instead, with no masking and no distancing there either.

And they insisted on the indoor services way back when there was late-summer weather, which is reasonably comfortable in the mornings anyway. So they apparently valued being indoors more than they valued being together as a group, even though MacArthur proclaimed that it was the meeting as a group that they really wanted. That's what the core of the fight was, I'd say. 

As I was told by my cousin's Evangelical son, it is imperative that they worship INSIDE a church. I guess services out in God's natural wonder doesn't cut it. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

It's much more difficult to pass the collection plates in an outdoor setting.  

Yes, the collection plate is more important than Matthew chapter 18-- “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.  For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

• Love 15

I do wonder if perhaps Jeremy has a drinking problem that's crept back up during the shutdown? He's hinted at a "sinful past", and going to a secular college and being a good-looking athlete means he most likely partied pretty hard. Maybe the bad habits are coming back? Alcohol dependency can really take a toll on outward appearance.  My husband (who's now over 1000 days sober) struggled with severe alcohol addiction for nearly a year, and it made him look much older in a year's time. When we got clean and straightened out, he looked not only healthier overall, but younger. 

• Useful 15
  • Love 3

This quarantine has been hard on Jeremy! He really has aged 10 years in the last 6 months. And he just looks so exhausted. It's odd.

No idea what's going on, but have to admit that I'm curious!

Edited by rue721
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

Jer's wrinkles are particularly scary when I think of the facial progression of someone I love -- W. H. Auden.

Here's Wystan at Jer's age -- image.png.6329c7dc4f0af4439364b6fe8609dfa7.png

And here he is just a few decades later -- image.png.e2c1dfbe8a64ecd34d5c57e5ab1118fc.png

It's terrifying to think what might happen to Jer's face. 😈 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I'm assuming it's just the angle of the picture, but his hand looks disproportionately tiny!

Or his head looks the size of a parade balloon...

• LOL 14

@Churchhoney, “O Where Are You Going?” has been a touchstone for me since I first read it at the age of sixteen.  

On topic, Jer thinks that Esterbrook pens are the coveted ones?  Excuse me while I laugh my fountain pen obsessed head off.  

Although I don’t mean to slag on Esterbrooks, they’re nice enough, they’re unpretentious tools.  As opposed to Jer, who’s a pretentious one. 

• LOL 20
  • Love 3

J-dog looks like he got his hands on an old bottle of dippity-doo. His master must have had some from back in the day. 
I tried to go to church because they announced that you were supposed to wear a mask and the seating would be distanced.  I showed up and people were wearing their masks as they went in and took them off as soon as they got inside so it as just for show. I turned around and walked out and haven’t been back.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Every time I get a gander at whatever he is doing to his hair, I get Ulysses Everett McGill flashbacks. Except George Clooney pulled it off a lot better, of course. 

bHTeDH8.jpg?1

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 9
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Jer's wrinkles are particularly scary when I think of the facial progression of someone I love -- W. H. Auden.

Here's Wystan at Jer's age -- image.png.6329c7dc4f0af4439364b6fe8609dfa7.png

And here he is just a few decades later -- image.png.e2c1dfbe8a64ecd34d5c57e5ab1118fc.png

It's terrifying to think what might happen to Jer's face. 😈 😁

Or Keith Richards!

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

J-dog looks like he got his hands on an old bottle of dippity-doo. His master must have had some from back in the day. 
I tried to go to church because they announced that you were supposed to wear a mask and the seating would be distanced.  I showed up and people were wearing their masks as they went in and took them off as soon as they got inside so it as just for show. I turned around and walked out and haven’t been back.  

I hope you told the pastor why you never came back. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Ummmm..WTHeck kind of site is that link to?! 😱

The ad on it scared me! 😂

rps20201024_001621.jpg

Relevant's a pretty successful media outfit covering religion-related stuff by and for young Christian adults. If anybody has figured out why young people enjoy being scared so much, let me in on the secret. 👻

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Or Keith Richards!

Wystan and Keith have relied on their talents to prove that sagging faces don't have to limit your personal appeal and success one iota.

Jer....maybe not so much. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I find it hard to believe only 3 Grace Church parishioners are sick when I read articles like the ones below. Never mind the ones we've already discussed over the last 6 months.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/10/23/covid-cases-linked-charlotte-church-event-spread-more-than-attendees-with-three-deaths/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/22/us/maine-church-covid-19-outbreak/index.html

I think the number 3 comes up because the public-health people  in LA County mandated that once you know of 3 (or more) confirmed cases in your congregation, you're required to report to them. So once the church knew of at least 3 cases, somebody there must have realized that they'd better report or get into more trouble, potentially more serious. So they told the government -- "We're making your required report. We have 3."

And now while public-health investigators are tracking it (that's why they wanted the reports, obviously) and almost certainly know of more by now (although they're probably facing a lot of church members who will refuse to talk to them -- loyalty to your church has been a significant barrier to contract tracing everywhere), the church itself is almost certainly keeping mum to reporters. So nobody else has been able to find out how many in total the church actually knows of. And if you're reporting on it, you have to have evidence of what you say, so the media's stuck with saying "3" because that's all they really know for sure.

Nobody but the LA public health department probably has any idea how many there are. But there are certainly more than three. 

There were probably more than three by the time some of the church officer-members and employees learned that there were three and then finally succeeded in convincing MacArthur they had to report! (harder to argue that telling the truth about disease infringes on your first-amendment rights....especially since Jesus said that thing about the truth setting you free. 😁)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 5
  • Love 15
9 hours ago, Portia said:

Jer slipping a pen ad into a promo for his Christian podcast made me want to barf. 

I honestly hope you're wrong, but I think it's entirely possible he could hide that from Jin. I know what it's like to have a loved one  skillfully conceal alcoholism right under your nose. I felt like an utter fool, but she was good and I didn't have a clue. And li'l Jin has got to be worlds more naive than I ever was. If Jer strayed, I imagine Jimchelle would weaponize his sin against Jinger in a heartbeat. "This is what happens when you leave the bosom of your family and settle in godless LA, etc., etc."

(BTW my daughter is ten  months sober and doing great! Glory be!)

Who says he’s hiding it from Jinger?

Ive noticed during this pandemic everyone I know is either drinking more alcohol or eating more sweets (or both). My mom is essential was still working part time yet had fun making new cocktails several times a week. She went from someone who had 1 alcoholic drink a week to 4-5. 

I don’t drink at all, but yeah I’ve been eating more sweets. 

I can see Jeremy going to a glass of wine at dinner to several. Add in the emotional stress of this pandemic, raising a toddler, “feel good carbs”, bad skin care- I can see why he looks the way he does. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I think there are lots of very relatable reasons why Jeremy is looking so worn down, I’m just surprised that he’s taken the pandemic so hard. He doesn’t have any other new stressors: his wife always handled the childcare and his livelihood is as “secure” as it ever was and he’s part of a social group that is downplaying the health dangers of Covid19 really hard. I’m just being nosy, but...I’m a nosy person! So I’m curious! I wish he would actually talk about whatever he’s dealing with because it might be the most relatable thing on his social media ever in his life lol

• Love 14
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

🙋🏽‍♀️, we all age. Y'all are going to give this 50 something year old a complex folks. 😕😬😉👵🏽

Yep.  I'm a 60-something and when I see that scene in On Golden Pond where the teens are making fun of Henry Fonda's character, I think:  Time is the great equalizer. 🙂  

I'm glad Jingle is getting proper prenatal care. 

Me, too.

• Love 7