Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

While I understand and agree that without TLC Jeremy's and Jinger's life will change drastically, in truth anyone could lose their job at anytime and Jeremy has already experienced this. Jeremy was almost 30 when he met Jinger and he had managed to scrape by.

Jeremy seems to think he's pretty, thinks has good taste and likes the spotlight, but he also has real friends and appears close to his family. He certainly doesn't appear to me to be anyone I would chose to hang with, but I do think Jeremy is closer to a well rounded person than any Duggar.

I'm thinking Jeremy is using the Duggar fame name more successfully than anyone other than JB. Under the circumstances that's not necessarily a bad thing if you can get past a preacher who seems to love material things so much. But then again there's been many preachers before him that have loved mansions, planes and vacation homes much more than their congregations.  

I'm still waiting and watching to see what happens next.

I agree that he's a more well-rounded person, and he has had to start from scratch again, but he wasn't maintaining much of a lifestyle then. He was living in an apartment with bars on the windows, and I don't see him willingly going back to that. I wonder what will happen when the show ends, and he realizes he has a mortgage payment plus more members of the family than he had before. Is he going to survive? Yes. Can he keep up the same standard of living? I doubt it!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

That's just it.  Yes, Jeremy has lived with less, but that was before he had two other people to support, before he got a taste of the good life; traveling all over the country, being a minor reality TV celeb, wearing nice clothes from upscale stores.  I don't see him adjusting well to having less money and attention.  He is never going to be satisfied with life at a lower level of comfort and he has a wife with no education who has been raised to believe that she cannot work outside their home.  Once the show is gone, their ancillary sources of income like freebies from fans, invites to various conferences and followers on their websites is going to dwindle pretty quickly.  I don't think that Jeremy has either the talent, charisma or work ethic to be a successful preacher on a large scale which is the only way his chosen career could keep him in Brooks Brothers and Starbucks.

Jeremy is not the one bringing in the money. Jinger is bringing in the money because she is on the show because she is the Duggar, and he is just along for the ride because he married her.

19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Right, but Jinger's ability to bring in money is tied to the TV show, when that ends, her earning power is going to end as her fans find another reality star to follow on Instagram.  She's got a substandard education and has been raised to believe that supporting the family is not her job.  Once the show fades from memory, it is going to be up to Jer to bring home the bacon and I doubt he can do it as well.  

It's ironic, because the show would be way more interesting if the money got cut off, but that won't happen until the show is over!

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

It's ironic, because the show would be way more interesting if the money got cut off, but that won't happen until the show is over!

Well, they could all become volunteers in actuality like several of them have claimed to be (since the show is their "ministry" and all) and the world could watch. I'm sure TLC would be fine with that arrangement! 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

His sermons definitely need a better cold open. 

"Live from Laredo it's SUNDAY MOOOOOOOOOORNING!!!"

23 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

If they are still on the show and are willing to take money to be on the show, they are riding on the Duggar fame train. I bet dollars to donuts Jeremy would not be on the show period if he did not get some money and his five minutes of fame out of it.

We need the Derick Dullard rule. If a Duggar son-in-law is still appearing on the show and isn't making pointed comments at another TLC show on social media, they're still more than happy to be on the Duggar fame train.

• Love 14

Felicity is adorable.  She appears to be a happy baby.  Love her smile. 

With regards to the sons in-law, in my humble opinion, Ben is the most handsome and Jeremy a close second.  No not one of those goobers that Gil Bates calls his sons in-law comes close to those two.  Again, just my opinion. 

• Love 2

What’s with the pronoun shit?

”She is six months old.”

”She loves a good book and a cup of tea” or however that posed photo of Harvard shirt wifey was captioned...like “she” was reading up on astrophysics and string theory.

They both have names, Jer Dude. 

It’s just so...precious...and not in the good way.

• Love 5

I think the difference in the Duggar and Bates childrens' education experience is that Kelly has a real college degree. Michelle didn't give a care in high school and certainly gave less of a care after she met JIM BOB, her savior in shining armor. Her objective was to be done with school and GET MARRIED. She didn't care to retain any of her high school knowledge. You can't teach children when you don't know the material yourself. Her objective was to become lazy and stay that way.

• Love 20
22 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I think the difference in the Duggar and Bates childrens' education experience is that Kelly has a real college degree. Michelle didn't give a care in high school and certainly gave less of a care after she met JIM BOB, her savior in shining armor. Her objective was to be done with school and GET MARRIED. She didn't care to retain any of her high school knowledge. You can't teach children when you don't know the material yourself. Her objective was to become lazy and stay that way.

And she achieved her goal! I might even say she overachieved it! In light of that, I don't know what we're all complaining about! 

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I also think Kelly is/was able to lift the blinders here and there and see how the Gothard rules were effecting her children. Michelle never bothered to look or notice if the Gothard rules were impeding her children in any way.

• Love 9

I frequented the area when I lived in San Antonio. There's great food, music, and alcohol. Jeremy in that get-up would stand out. I can't imagine it being a place the Vuolo's would bring the Duggars to. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Hahahaha that reminds me of a girl I took dance with. She was lazy (she always watched class instead of danced, and made fun of us, but the teacher was friends with her parents so it was allowed), and she constantly stated that her goal in life was to find a rich guy so she'd never have to do anything. It was absolutely shocking, because at that age, everyone thinks they're going to be a doctor, lawyer, or famous actress. College bound teenage girls scoff at ever being SAHM's, even if they do end up doing it one day, and this girl didn't even want to be a SAHM; she wanted to do NOTHING. It was horrifying! Now, I'm happy to report that she has NOT found her rich guy! She's one of the three of us left from high school who is single (one girl is nice but lives in NYC, where it's hard to find somebody, and yours truly is the other). It gives me hope in this world that there is a certain level of unpleasantness that guys will actually avoid, because the girl is pretty, and I'm shocked she's alone, bad personality notwithstanding. 

I also agree that Bin is the best looking, as he looks nice in casual wear, but I don't think Jeremy would be quite as charming without being such a tryhard. I'm interested to see what Bin looks like at thirty, if fatherhood doesn't wear him out first!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Christina87 said:

I also agree that Bin is the best looking, as he looks nice in casual wear, but I don't think Jeremy would be quite as charming without being such a tryhard. I'm interested to see what Bin looks like at thirty, if fatherhood doesn't wear him out first!

I think Ben is cute too. Cuter than Jeremy although he’s nice looking as well. Ben gets criticisms for being young- HE IS YOUNG. When is being young a bad thing?

Jeremy is attractive and dresses well but he is a “tryhard” like you said. 

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jeremy is attractive and dresses well but he is a “tryhard” like you said. 

Yes, he's a "tryhard", which is annoying, but I'll still give him more credit for trying too hard than for being a dirty slob like Josh and Derick.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Yeah, right, that'll happen! Just imagine any of the Duggars doing something without getting paid for it. Over on the Duggars' Facebook page, the leghumpers hate TLC and wish that the Duggars would move their show over to a more "Godly" network, where they won't be confronted by "trashy" shows like "I Am Jazz" and where their beloved Josh and Derick will be welcomed back on the air. What the leghumpers fail to grasp is that Jim Bob will never willingly leave TLC for a third tier network like UPTV, where the ratings, the paychecks and the perks like free travel will decrease. For Jim Bob, it's all about the Benjamins (and I don't mean the son-in-law).

Does anyone know if the typical contracts for faux reality shows like the Duggars' have non-compete clauses? If TLC cuts the Duggars loose can the producers take the show (under whatever name) to a different network? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Does anyone know if the typical contracts for faux reality shows like the Duggars' have non-compete clauses? If TLC cuts the Duggars loose can the producers take the show (under whatever name) to a different network? 

Dunno. But thinking of what's happened previously... did the Bateses go from TLC (United Bates of America) to wherever the heck they are now? ...Not that the same contracts would be in place for everyone, but...

• Love 3

IIRC, Chip and Joanna Gains left HGTV and started their own network “in conjunction with” the Discovery Channel. Which seems like it was already a network, so I guess it’s a network network. Or something.

I think once a contract is over, it’s over. But I also don’t believe for a hot minute that any of the Duggars has enough initiative, management skills or ability to learn what they don’t know to make their own “network network” successful.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

The Bates family once had a reality show on TLC.  It was called United Bates of America and ran for only eight episodes from August 13, 2012 – September 3, 2012.  In October 2014, the Bates announced their new show on the Up Network.  Bring Up Bates first aired on January 1, 2015. If this is any clue, a non-compete clause might last for two years while TLC finishes airing a show overseas and in reruns.  

• Love 8

Putting on my “not even close to a lawyer” hat, it would seem to me that when they would have been negotiating for “Counting On” they would have been in a piss poor negotiating position, given the Josh Debacle and the original show being cancelled. Unless it’s standard boilerplate, I can’t see TLC giving enough of a damn to pay them for any kind of noncompete.

I’m sure it’s possible JB would give that away under the circumstances, though.

• Love 3
On 1/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, bythelake said:

Bin and Jeremy may be better looking (which personally I don’t  see) but the Bates sons and sons-in law bring much more to the table than good looks.

The post wasn't about what the Bates sons in-law brought to the table, but rather about their looks.  In my opinion, none of them is as handsome as Jeremy and Bin.  End of story.  

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Spencer Hastings said:

As a Christian I don’t typically have a problem with religious statements. I count my blessings every day to myself. I DO however, have a problem with the message that she is highly favored or more trusted by God because He gave her a child. What about those who can’t have children due to medical issues?  Does God not trust them? What about women like Jana who did everything they were supposed to do, waiting until they found the right guy to have a child, but simply haven’t had the opportunity yet?  Since God has not sent a man for her to reproduce with, does that mean He doesn’t trust her to be a mother? I get what she’s trying to do but it’s very problematic for those who haven’t been blessed with children. 

I completely agree with you. This one wasn't AS bad (but I hate the God is kind Part that she always says, because that does give the idea that god's kind to her because she's more worthy), but sooooo many of her posts have given the impression that she thinks she is more worthy that someone without a child. She also loves to say things like, "motherhood isn't to be despised," like every other woman in the world at her level, who is good enough to be given a child, aborts it. Jill, Jessa, and joy have never really posted anything that gave me the idea that they thought they were more special than anyone else for having a child, possibly because most of their siblings were still single when they did. How would Jessa justify God being "so kind" to her, but not single BFF Jinger, for example. I see Jinger trying to make more influential statements in her baby posts than anyone else. Sure, lots of people say they're thankful for their blessings, but IMO Jinger doesn't do it in a humble way, and comes across preachy. I am, however, willing to cut her a little slack, because it would be easy to forget how to be humble if you're around Baaaabe 24/7. As someone older than her who wants kids, it grinds my gears, because I could have married plenty of guys I dated for a month or so...but I was smart enough not to do that, so God is not blessing me with a baby anytime soon. If she wanted to date Jeremy for two seconds, get married, have Felicity, and not be so uppity about it, I'd be like, "you do you." But she totally acts like she is judging the rest of us with her baby posts, and she is RIGHT goddamit, because she had a proper courtship and did everything the godly way. I almost wonder if having Felicity has made her more strident in her beliefs, like feeling outraged at people who have abortions, and the fact that she has a special blessing making it seem like she's God's extra special teacher's pet.

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

All of Jinger's posts about Felicity read as ads to motherhood. Does she really think she's talking millions of women out of abortion with her messages?

or maybe she's overcompensating for not seeming like she really wanted to be a mom just a couple years ago. 

Glad God is kind to her! Too bad all of us who want babies can't have some of that kindness!

Seems to me that whole "God is so good to us" thing is sort of a Duggar tradition, isn't it? I can never completely make up my mind about whether they're just saying something nice and thankful about God kind of mindlessly or whether they're bragging.....

I guess I assume that JB and M are bragging. ("We're special! Like, on the universal level! So deal with it, people-who-God-doesn't-love-the-way-he-loves-us!")

But I figure that the kids may just be -- as they are so often -- parroting without any particular intention.... Because they're, you know, primarily parrots and probably not that bright and certainly not thoughtful or mindful.....Or not, of course. They may have picked up not just the language but the bragg-y intention of their crappy parents. I can't decide, though. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I completely agree with you. This one wasn't AS bad (but I hate the God is kind Part that she always says, because that does give the idea that god's kind to her because she's more worthy), but sooooo many of her posts have given the impression that she thinks she is more worthy that someone without a child. She also loves to say things like, "motherhood isn't to be despised," like every other woman in the world at her level, who is good enough to be given a child, aborts it. Jill, Jessa, and joy have never really posted anything that gave me the idea that they thought they were more special than anyone else for having a child, possibly because most of their siblings were still single when they did. How would Jessa justify God being "so kind" to her, but not single BFF Jinger, for example. I see Jinger trying to make more influential statements in her baby posts than anyone else. Sure, lots of people say they're thankful for their blessings, but IMO Jinger doesn't do it in a humble way, and comes across preachy. I am, however, willing to cut her a little slack, because it would be easy to forget how to be humble if you're around Baaaabe 24/7. As someone older than her who wants kids, it grinds my gears, because I could have married plenty of guys I dated for a month or so...but I was smart enough not to do that, so God is not blessing me with a baby anytime soon. If she wanted to date Jeremy for two seconds, get married, have Felicity, and not be so uppity about it, I'd be like, "you do you." But she totally acts like she is judging the rest of us with her baby posts, and she is RIGHT goddamit, because she had a proper courtship and did everything the godly way. I almost wonder if having Felicity has made her more strident in her beliefs, like feeling outraged at people who have abortions, and the fact that she has a special blessing making it seem like she's God's extra special teacher's pet.

I agree with you. I may be misinterpreting, but this is the vibe I get from all of them. Heathens with their birth control and their abortions aren't "trusting God" the way the Duggars do, and they aren't as grateful and appreciative of God's goodness as the Duggars. There are many things that I dislike about the Duggars, but the smugness underlying their vile religious beliefs is probably the thing I dislike most.

• Love 21
51 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I agree with you. I may be misinterpreting, but this is the vibe I get from all of them. Heathens with their birth control and their abortions aren't "trusting God" the way the Duggars do, and they aren't as grateful and appreciative of God's goodness as the Duggars. There are many things that I dislike about the Duggars, but the smugness underlying their vile religious beliefs is probably the thing I dislike most.

Exactly!!! And anyone can look around and come to the quick conclusion that life isn't fair. How do they explain that? How do they explain that God let people die in the holocaust, yet Jinger is extra special to have a pretentious husband, baby, and teevee show? I'm a Christian as well, and it's hard to explain those things, but I also don't believe that God has a meritocracy. I feel their beliefs are so vile that they kick people when they're down. Poor jana must not be as godly, because she doesn't have a husband and baby. Jill must not be either, since she only has two children after nearly five years of marriage. Cathy must have been bad to get cancer, but prayed it away, unlike the others that died. It's completely ridiculous! It's hard to answer why bad people get everything sometimes, while good people don't, but it was that way a lot of times in the Bible too. Bad kings ruled, and I mean...something bad happened to Jesus! Was Jesus not as godly as Jinger and Jeremy? That's what bugs me so much about their "God is a meritocracy" belief system. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 16
On 1/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, allonsyalice said:

I do not like this word, but he looks like.....a giant douche. He's the type of guy who ignores you all day and texts "u up?" at 2:30 in the morning. He's the type of guy who does all the typical dating things with you but still calls you his "friend." He's the type of guy who says "my father will hear about this!" when he sees something he doesn't like. He's the type of guy who still brags about his high school sports team winning the championships. He's the type of guy who wears a suit on campus all the time. 

He’s the type of guy who has sex with you to fill the void until his wedding day with the virgin bride. 

• Love 20

Actually, my reading of the tweet is a bit different. I don't read it as Jinger somehow saying that she somehow earned Felicity through her acts or lifestyle.   To me, the "God is kind" statement is an acknowledgment that Jinger views her as a gift from God.  God's grace is a huge component of Christianity.   We are all sinners.   God gives us blessings not because we earned them, but because He loves us.    

• Love 19

So, I've been thinking...

I believe that Jinger is on track to become the smuggest, most proselytizing Duggar daughter. When it was 19K&C, and everyone was single, I thought that title would go to either Jill or Jessa. Not so much now. If you compare the most recent Instagram posts, Jinger is invoking God's name more than anyone else, with Jana probably second. Not to mention that there seem to be emerging differentials in SES, even aside from the show. Jinger/Jeremy appear to be at a higher SES level than Jill, Jessa, or Joy, and that may be reinforcing their belief that God favors them.

• Love 19

You know the more that Jinger sniffs up God’s butt for allowing her to be a mom, the more I think J&J just aren’t as fertile as the others.  She would never admit that she struggled with conception because it would hurt the Duggar image but I feel like she’s starting to straddle that line.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Totally said:

It’s easy to be thankful when you have an ‘easy’ baby. I wonder if they had been blessed with more challenging baby, she would feel quite as thankful. 

One of my children has special needs, and although I wouldn’t change a thing, it’s hard, and there are days when I wonder how I can continue. And things haven’t improved with age like I was told they would 😒

Oh, I'm just waiting for the day one of this bunch has a child with severe special needs (which are not easily hidden or filmed around). Lets see how blessed they are then. It's bound to happen given their fecundity.

I hope your situation improves. 

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, Saylii said:

You know the more that Jinger sniffs up God’s butt for allowing her to be a mom, the more I think J&J just aren’t as fertile as the others.  She would never admit that she struggled with conception because it would hurt the Duggar image but I feel like she’s starting to straddle that line.

Either that or she would like to imply that it took her a while to conceive in hopes of mitigating rumors of birth control.

• Love 8