Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: The Door

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, izabella said:

Sansa did tell LF to get lost.  But, she believed what he told her about the Blackfish controlling Riverland again and having an army there.  She thinks he's telling the truth, when she ought to know better.  And she is making plans based on it, and lied about who told her that information, all of which is a big mistake because LF is manipulative and lies.

The biggest mistake is lying to Jon. Not sure what the deal is with that, after her speech about how she trusts Jon. I get that she's been through some shit, but it makes absolutely no sense for her to not be completely forthcoming and level with him. Their little brother that they both love is being held hostage by a man who terrorized Sansa, and cut Theon's dick off. They should be frantically planning how to save him, with regaining Winterfell as an afterthought, or at the most the means to save Rickon. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the thing that fucks everything up. 

• Love 6

I don't usually comment on this show because I don't want to think that much about it. So without considering details, that was the best TV I've watched since Buffy. Humor, death, revelations - I was thoroughly entertained, even though I had to watch on crappy hotel tv with messed up sound. I'm sure it has its flaws. Had me thoroughly hooked, though. 

I never knew what the things living at the tree were called until reading this thread. Guess it doesn't matter now. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lady S. said:

To sum up, Bran's peeping tom adventures crippled him and started his family's trouble, sending two orphans to a nearby farm got them killed by Theon, sending Rickon to the Umbers got Osha and Shaggy killed and made Rickon a prisoner, and now Hodor, the 3ER, the CotF, and Bran's own wolf have been killed because of him. What a human disaster this kid is. 

Bran just had to go climbing...

download.jpg

Edited by truelovekiss
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, truelovekiss said:

The biggest mistake is lying to Jon. Not sure what the deal is with that, after her speech about how she trusts Jon. I get that she's been through some shit, but it makes absolutely no sense for her to not be completely forthcoming and level with him. Their little brother that they both love is being held hostage by a man who terrorized Sansa, and cut Theon's dick off. They should be frantically planning how to save him, with regaining Winterfell as an afterthought, or at the most the means to save Rickon. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the thing that fucks everything up. 

She trust Jon, and Brieene and Pod, everyone else will need to earn her trust in them.

Any guesses on how many trees in the Iron Islands? LOL

A reaving we must go.

Edited by GrailKing
Damn spellchecker
  • Love 3
Just now, KaleyFirefly said:

OK this might be a silly question but why is the Night King so determined to kill Bran and Three Eyed Raven? Is it just because they are allied with the CotF or is there another reason?

We don't know, but it seems like Bran is some kind of chosen hero and the 3ER was his Obi-Wan/Yoda-type.

I updated the character guide thread and added a section for what we know of the spookiness in the far North.

Man, the ironborn are fucking nuts, but they do have a cool musical score. The Kingsmoot was as crazy US primary debate, complete with dick-boasting from the worst candidate.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

OK this might be a silly question but why is the Night King so determined to kill Bran and Three Eyed Raven? Is it just because they are allied with the CotF or is there another reason?

Probably because they're both extremely powerful. Like, so powerful that they could potentially stop the WWs by seeing their plans, secrets and whatnot. The NK has probably been waiting for an opportunity to kill 3ER for a long time now, but couldn't get inside the cave until Bran did him a solid. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Speaking of the Ironborn, what a shitty looking crown, and it's not made of salt or steel or stone. I mean, why even bother.

Right? I said to my husband "What the hell kind of crappy crown is that?!"

Edited by gatopretoNYC
Lost quote
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Damn, I always wanted to find out the deal with Hodor, but not like this. Not like this! And now we're down to two direwolves.

In happier Stark news, how far has Sansa come. I quite enjoyed her making Littlefinger squirm.

it really is amazing.  I like her so, so much more now.

• Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

some men just want to watch the world burn freeze

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady S. said:

We don't know, but it seems like Bran is some kind of chosen hero and the 3ER was his Obi-Wan/Yoda-type.

I updated the character guide thread and added a section for what we know of the spookiness in the far North.

Man, the ironborn are fucking nuts, but they do have a cool musical score. The Kingsmoot was as crazy US primary debate, complete with dick-boasting from the worst candidate.

And worst candidate's "I'm gonna build a wall" moment was building a replacement fleet...hahahahahaha great analogy!

• Love 5

Damn, Bran is the one who somehow made Hodor the way he is, thanks to his meddling in the visions?  That's some crazy-ass, time-traveling-like shit right there!  Did not see that coming!  But, wow, Bran.  Could you have fucked that up any worse?  Disobey Tree Dad and go off on your own solo vision quest, and you basically just hand the White Walkers the key to the front door.  Now, granted, maybe Tree Guy should have been like "Seriously: if you foolishly disobey me, make sure to not like the White Walkers touch you because they'll gain access", but still.  Fucking hell, Bran. Now, your mentor is dead (I guess Max Von Sydow needs to appear in a comic book movie/show now, to complete the genre trio), those weird creatures who were getting interesting now that we know they created the White Walkers, Summer (another direwolf!), and poor Hodor himself. Not sure if that is the biggest fuck-up by a Stark yet (between Ned trusting Littlefinger and Robb going back on his word to the Freys), but it has to be in the top five, at least.

At least Sansa is continuing to be awesome, even though I worry over her taking Littlefinger's word that Blackfish regain control.  I don't think she's being stupid, because I think she knows he's untrustworthy, but he's just really desperate now, especially after those dire reports from Davos.  That said, yeah, her keeping this stuff from Jon is totally going to end up backfiring on everyone somehow.  Got to work on your trust, guys!

I will never grow tired of Tormund's obvious crush on Brienne.

Not surprised the Iron Isles picked Euron over Yara, because they definitely strike me as a group who has ways to go when it comes to women in power and general feminism.  At least Yara and Theon had enough supporters to make off with their ships, which puts a wrinkle in Euron's grand plan. Which is to build a really kick-ass fleet and convince Daenerys to marry him.  Yeah, good luck with that, buddy.

Aww, I kind of forgot Dany banished Jorah last season, so it was nice to see them on better footing.  Sure, it takes Jorah having to get a deadly disease for that to happen, but I'm sure he'll take it!

Tyrion's gotten so desperate now, that he's throwing in with the Red Priestesses, in order to try and appease Meereen.  I don't like this!  Red Priestess is already creeping me out over how much she's thrown Varys.  It just doesn't feel right seeing Varys flustered and unable to respond.

Arya gets a second attempt at joining Assassin Club: this time she has to assassinate an actress who plays Cersei in some kind of play.  She seems nice enough, but I can't see Arya sparing her, because if she doesn't go through with it, what is the entire point of this entire story-line?

Didn't miss the King's Landing hijinks, although it looks like that might be coming to ahead next week.

• Love 1

This was a powerful episode.  

Poor Hodor...  I think Bran will feel incredibly guilty about this death and he will limit his warging as a result.  This was a devastating loss, and a great sacrifice by Hodor.   Now how far can Meera Reed go?  

I doubt Arya's assignment is 100% random; the powers that be want her to relive Ned's humiliation.  I don't think she'll be able to forswear the Stark name for long, especially if that other girl keeps reminding her.

I just hope Littlefinger hasn't started a rift between Jon and Sansa.

And is it a prerequisite of becoming a red priestess to have nice cans?  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, peggy06 said:

This time-shift stuff is giving me a headache. Hodor has been saying Hodor for the entire show, and the warging where the White Walker touched Bran just happened. I hate this kind of thing. Also not too happy with Bran. But since Hodor was already Hodoring, it's like he was predestined to do this? IDK. Like I said, giving me a headache.

Is Summer a wight direwolf now? That would be formidable.

I feel like they're building up to Arya leaving the Faceless Men. She obviously isn't "no one," and the other girl knows it. And so does Jaquen. But if she leaves to resume her Stark identity, what a waste of time this plot has been. Not sure what to make of it.

Sansa shouldn't have sent Brienne away. Not with Littlefinger at Moat Caellin.

I'm with Varys. These red priestesses are bad news. Religion on this show is bad news. I feel Tyrion is making a big error here.

Very touching scene when Jorah revealed his greyscale to Danaerys. Iain Glen is terrific in this role.

I feel like this is her final "test"  If she can see her family being portrayed on stage in the worst possible light....the sort of thing that would make Arya Stark pick up her knife and commence with wildly swinging at fools.  If she is really "the girl with no name" the play and the subject matter won't effect her, it won't stay on her mind.  At this point, I get the impression that they don't really trust that Arya has given up her past enough to be faceless.

And this is also a test to see if Arya can really kill someone who hasn't done anything wrong.  Yes, Arya can kill when there is a reason, or when they have screwed her over, but can she give up her identity enough to kill someone who just seems like a nice enough person when there doesn't appear to be a reason?

I agree with your thoughts about the red priestess....she is giving me bad vibes.....her "religion" was responsible for burning a little girl at the stake...maybe she isn't the one you want spreading your message.  Varys and Tyrion work so well together that I wish he wouldn't ignore Varys.  I also didn't like her smug and smirky attitude with Varys.....given what happened to him, it just rubbed me all sorts of wrong.

The Hodor thing was so sad, and haunting.

6 minutes ago, Haiti D said:

And is it a prerequisite of becoming a red priestess to have nice cans?  

You're gonna send your best set of cans to negotiate with Tyrion.  IJS.

• Love 4

DAMN IT, BRAN! So because he was bored and decided to take a solo jaunt into dream world, both Hodor and Summer are now dead. When is he going to learn to listen to his elders/people who are trying to keep him from doing stupid shit?

RIP Hodor:

I don't know whose death I was more upset by: Hodor's or Summer's. All I know is that either death would have been upsetting but to have them in the same episode? I yelled, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when Summer was attacked but when it became clear that Hodor was going to die, I couldn't even verbalize how upset I was at the moment. Hodor was such a sweet, kind, loyal guy and look what he got for that.

I know it's mean, but I was totally cracking up that Ser Friendzone finally made the tiniest bit of progress with Dany only for him to tell her that he has majorly dry skin. I hope he succeeds in his quest for the best moisturizer in the world. You'd think that Dany would have insisted on sending at least one other person with him to protect him or at least kill him if he can't find a cure.

Also hilarious: the janky ass Greyjoy crown. I get the symbolism and all, but damn. If the iron born are capable of creating those nice shields, you'd think they could at least sand down a few branches until they looked a little more symmetric.

Oh, Theon. This is like the second time you've done something good in your life and then you got smacked down anyway. I loved that Yara immediately accused her uncle of murdering her father. Her only mistake was not having him executed right away instead of letting him talk long enough to get the crowd on his side. I was really hoping her uncle would choke on that seawater and just DIE, but this is GoT so of course he will live another day to be a dick. I was laughing my ass off when Theon, Yara, and their supporters stole the fleet. The looks on the faces of the leftover ironborn when their new king told them to build a thousand new ships made me think maybe, just maybe, they were realizing they hadn't backed the right guy. And as a non-book reader, I kept hearing his name as Urine. Long live King Urine!

Sansa used to annoy me so her whole conversation with Littlefinger made me realize how far she's come. She was not going to let him off the hook, which I loved, so I was like FINALLY Sansa has become a boss bitch! Then she just let him go and I was like WTF? Let him go and that slithering snake will come back to bite you, girl. To make matters worse, she then believed what he said about her uncle's army AND lied to Jon about how she got the information. DAMN IT, SANSA. All of them leaving Castle Black together seemed to just be begging to be ambushed. I guess at least they won't be there when Ramsay's army arrives?

Brienne's face after Tormund gave her the "How you doin'?" look was hilarious.

Part of me appreciates that Arya is still asking questions instead of just doing what she's told. But the other part of me was rolling my eyes when she said that her target seems like a nice person. Haven't you learned by now that a shitty person can seem nice to the people that she likes and terrible to other people? Just because she saw the actress for a few minutes and she didn't murder anyone, she must be nice? Then again, that does seem to be Arya's threshold. Anyone who hasn't murdered someone in her family seems okay compared with the people on her list. Arya's standards seem to be:

People I love: my family
People I hate: anyone who murdered my family
People who are okay: everyone else

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Part of me appreciates that Arya is still asking questions instead of just doing what she's told. But the other part of me was rolling my eyes when she said that her target seems like a nice person. Haven't you learned by now that a shitty person can seem nice to the people that she likes and terrible to other people? Just because she saw the actress for a few minutes and she didn't murder anyone, she must be nice? Then again, that does seem to be Arya's threshold. Anyone who hasn't murdered someone in her family seems okay compared with the people on her list. Arya's standards seem to be:

I think part of Arya's questioning here was because Jaqen actually gave her an explanation of why the insurance salesman had a hit out on him. I think she was hoping the woman only seemed decent and that there was more to be learned about her, but Jaqen basically just confirmed the woman didn't really deserve to die.

I liked the play, though. It had not only Essie Davis, but Richard E. Grant as King Robert. The Lannisters are still in power so it makes sense that this was distorted propaganda, complete with making Tyrion responsible for Ned's betrayal and Ned's death to show the family traitor as the root of all their problems.

Summer's death was definitely the most shocking for me. I thought if there was one direwolf safe, it would be Bran's. At least he got to fight instead of being butchered senselessly like Lady, Grey Wind, and Shaggydog. Summer did save Meera from one of the wights and his last stand bought a head start for Bran and Meera to make it to the door ahead of the wights.

Hang in there, Nymeria, wherever you are.

• Love 2

I felt the most bad about the Children of the Forest dying.  There are so few of them left and they are certainly what you would call an endangered species.  And given human beings were slaughtering them I can sympathize with them coming up with a solution even if it did ultimately turn out to be a rather bad one.  Why they felt it necessary to sacrifice themselves for Lord Sleepyhead remains to be seen.  And it did seem a bit cold of Bran to warg into Hodor and use him as a literal meat shield to cover his getaway.  He would never have done that with Meera Reed which in the end showed he viewed Hodor as being less than human and more disposable than a "normal person" who was not driven mad by Bran.

Hodor got a glimpse of his meat shield future and it helped drive him mad.  Wonder if he suddenly remembered the vision of his youth as he was breaking down before being warged by Bran.

Bran's ability to go to the past may be more limiting than it seems.  The fact that Hodor was already Hodorized before Bran even knew he was responsible points at an inability to change the future.  If he can see into the future that may prove even worse.  Because if he can do nothing to change it by attempting to view it he may trap himself and lose all free will.  Because he will see a destiny and actions he can never deviate from no matter what he wants.  

Euron deserve to win the vote.  He had the best plan.  It's a plan EVERY player for power in Westeros should have had the minute they heard there was an umarried Princess/Queen/Khaleesi with three dragons.  Hell, it was my pet theory of why Doran Martel wasn't so upset about seeing Trystane's marriage to Myrcella collapse.  I'm still shocked Littlefingers has not booked a boat to Mereen.

Sansa Stark thinks she's being clever by not telling Jon Snow about Littlefingers offer to provide troops from the Vale.  That Snow not knowing how awful Littlefingers in may fall for a trap and she is somehow protecting him.  And that is actually possible.  But by not telling Snow she risks creating a rift that can later be exploited between herself and Snow.  And there is no telling whether the intel she got from Littlefingers was even accurate.  And even then he never said they were any position to really offer much help given the tremendous losses they suffered.

Varys asked some good questions of Melisandre's mini-me.  But Tyrion was correct that she was too good an ally to pass up.  At least until Dany gets back home.  We have seen three factions of the Lord of Light back three different political movements.  You had Taliban North (Melisandre) backing Stannis and now switching horses to Jon Snow.  You had Taliban West (Thoros of Myr) backing the Brotherhood without Banners who are content to declare their loyalty to the dead king as a way of giving the finger all the new folks wanting to take the throne, and Taliban East (Kinvara) backing Dany.  I wonder if there is an intentional policy among the leadership of the religion for their local affiliates to back leaders they view as popular or malleable.   Or whether the different parts are just doing their own thing not paying much mind to what other factions are doing.  And when will we finally get to see them interacting with their common religious rivals in Taliban South (the Faith Militants)?  I hope the High Sparrow and the Faith Militants live long enough to let us see that confrontation.

Eventually Arya needs to realize she fell victim to a bait and switch and get the hell out of Braavos.  Back in season 2 Arya was told joining the Faceless Men was a way she could become an assassin and get revenge on those who wronged her.  In the season finale Jaqen H'ghar said, "A girl has many names on her lips. Joffrey. Cersei. Tywin Lannister. Ilyn Payne. The Hound. Names to offer up to the Red God. She could offer them all. One by one."  After she arrived she was told she needed to lose her own identity which meant in reality giving up on seeking any revenge for past slights.  And now it should be becoming crystal clear to her that she is joining a death cult that at the behest of the type of people she wanted to stop murders whichever person with the most money wants dead.  If she stays long enough she might be asked to carry out a contract paid for by the Lannisters to off Sansa.  This is not what she thought she was signing up for when she first arrived in Braavos!

• Love 8

One thing I noticed in the credits that I never paid attention to before is the sigil in King's Landing remains the Baratheon stag and not the Lannister lion.  So we are still pretending Joffrey and Tommen are Robert's?

I would have thought that when Joffrey took over and Tywin became the Hand the stag would come down and the lion rise up.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Taget said:

Eventually Arya needs to realize she fell victim to a bait and switch and get the hell out of Braavos.  Back in season 2 Arya was told joining the Faceless Men was a way she could become an assassin and get revenge on those who wronged her.  In the season finale Jaqen H'ghar said, "A girl has many names on her lips. Joffrey. Cersei. Tywin Lannister. Ilyn Payne. The Hound. Names to offer up to the Red God. She could offer them all. One by one."  After she arrived she was told she needed to lose her own identity which meant in reality giving up on seeking any revenge for past slights.  And now it should be becoming crystal clear to her that she is joining a death cult that at the behest of the type of people she wanted to stop murders whichever person with the most money wants dead.  If she stays long enough she might be asked to carry out a contract paid for by the Lannisters to off Sansa.  This is not what she thought she was signing up for when she first arrived in Braavos!

Thank you. That bugged me. Like, all Arya was told before that joining the Faceless Men was a way that she could finally get some peace. and all these people have done since she got there was seriously mess her up more. But I think that's where the push and pull is. Arya isn't Faceless. You can see it in so many little ways, she couldn't get rid of Needle, she's still affected with scenes of her family being portrayed cruelly (especially the fact that Arya witnessed exactly how it all went down).  so there's like this push, pull thing going. I do honestly think she needs to go. But that's the sad thing. Where on earth can she go? 

I can't even lie - I watch this show every week and a lot of the stuff wash over my head but it is still such an amazing thing.  I am curious about the Night King. It was very interesting that the Children of the Forest created them. I'm wondering what caused them to turn on the Children. (maybe it was always resentment into being changed against their will?). is the First Men what the Wildlings are? (or were)? i am curious why Bran and the Man in the Tree were doing their white-eyed thinger - when they knew that the White Walkers were coming. They could have left. I wonder why the Man in the Tree never told Bran that could be mean their destruction. (if he is marked). I wonder why that would matter anyway. 

(i'm also curious why we didn't get to go inside the tower of joy. just saying, Show). 

Hodor's death, and why he became Hodor..that was just the most saddest thing I've ever seen in life, and Outlander had an emotional doozy the day before. To think that Wylis had a glimpse of his impending death so young, and was so traumatized it that all he could say was Hold the Door...and now Hodor..Bran.. geeze marie. When you decide not to listen, you seriously eff things up. You basically triggered a war.. now you cause the extermination of the Children, the Man in the Tree, and poor, por Wylis's mind. 

Sansa was dumb to lie to Jon. But I liked her telling Littlefinger off. 

Brienne and Torumund ..teee.heee.heee. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, GrailKing said:

I also think this is going along with my thinking, the Direwolves were sent to protect the Starks, if the wolves die protecting a Stark I think it may prove to be a blessing in the future . 

I just want the Direwolf deaths to have some significance somehow.  I want them to mean something more than just... "kids get puppies.... puppies all get killed".

7 hours ago, La Dee Da said:

I wonder how often the Iron Islands coronation ceremony doesn't work and the King to be drowns? Do they turn to the runner up and say "no hard feelings?"

I thought that moment while they were waiting was so awkwardly hilarious. 

My favorite moment, hands down, was the quiet, speed, and competence with which Yara & Co. got the hell out of Dodge.  That was beautiful.  

• Love 12

As annoyed as I am with Sansa for lying to Jon, I thought that making the coat like their father's for Jon was sweet. It felt like she was confirming that he is her brother despite Littlefinger's attempt to drive a wedge between them. 

• Love 6

I'm still having trouble processing this episode. GoT rips my guts out at least twice a season. You'd think it wouldn't hurt so much by now!

The Iron Born.  It's amazing that they chose their leader on the basis of his dick than on any intellect. What type of plan was that?  "Let's sail to wherever that Dragon bitch is and I will fuck her into submission! We'll rule Westeros!"  Jeez. They will never know that they lost a capable leader in Yara.  Women are awesome because we aren't handicapped by testosterone.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

The only interesting thing to happen in Braavos this episode was that play. What the what?!?! Was that Daily Show irony, sarcasm? I don't even get it. How the hell can Ned be the hillbilly idiot while Cersei and Satan's spawn Joffrey get the good edit? Was that play sponsored by the Lannisters or just a whoooole lot of misinformation? 

Maybe it's just that history is written by the victors.  I was thinking that might be the theme of this episode.  Perhaps Arya, Sansa, Bran, and others will realize that for their mark on history to be the way they want it, then they must make themselves the victors.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

One thing I noticed in the credits that I never paid attention to before is the sigil in King's Landing remains the Baratheon stag and not the Lannister lion.  So we are still pretending Joffrey and Tommen are Robert's?

I would have thought that when Joffrey took over and Tywin became the Hand the stag would come down and the lion rise up.

For as long as Tommen is King, King's Landing will have a Baratheon sigil.  He is legally the son of King Robert Baratheon and Queen Cersei Lannister... regardless of the Westeros rumor mill and what we know as viewers to be the truth. 

Speaking of who people are and are not... Arya, you are not and will never be No One.  You are a Stark of Winterfell and winter is coming.  That's enough of these Braavos kickboxing hijinks and crazy hairstyles in public. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Ladybugnine said:

Can someone answer me how Meera was able to kill that White Walker with a spear? KTHNX!

Sam gave Bran & Co. some of the dragon glass he found when they went north of the Wall. Meera attached some of it to the end of her spear.

• Love 3

As annoyed as I am with Sansa for lying to Jon, I thought that making the coat like their father's for Jon was sweet. It felt like she was confirming that he is her brother despite Littlefinger's attempt to drive a wedge between them. 

I'm wondering if Sansa fancies herself a "King Maker".   Maybe she thinks she can raise Jon as high as they need him as a figurehead.  Her time in Kings Landing and in the Vale has shown her that just because someone has the title doesn't mean they have the  power.   The GoT inside the episode gave interesting insight into Sansa and basically intimated that Sansa doesn't REALLY trust anyone.  I guess it's the flip side of "There are no strangers just friends we haven't met yet."   Maybe Sansa's more "No friends, just enemies that haven't attacked yet."  I guess when the entire world has been your enemy for so long, it's hard to turn off.

I think it says a lot about both characters.  I feel like Jon has very much let Sansa in with no reservation while Sansa is still very guarded where he's concerned and I assume she will be that way with everyone in her life from now on.

• Love 1

I swear, by the old gods and the new, that there had better be some kind of freaking point to this boring ass Arya storyline and they had better get to it soon.  Every episode this season has been really strong, IMO, and then they all come to a screeching halt the second we hit Braavos.

I do not like seeing Varys unnerved by someone.  Especially someone like Red Woman, Jr.

Also, yes, Bran needs a good smack.  But I blame the Children of the Forest for getting this White Walker crap started in the first place.

And Sansa lying to Jon makes me very, very nervous.

I hope Yara meets up with Dany somewhere on the Narrow Sea.

• Love 6

Boy, that Iron Islands coronation is to die for! Euron's a dick, but I also think he's kinda hot. Loved that Yara sprung into action. She's had the admiration and loyalty of the Ironborn for some time now, it was obvious by the number of men who went with her. Is she headed to Meereen? Is her fleet going to replace the one Dany lost?

The scene with Dany and Jorah was so touching. I loved Daario stepping forward to keep Dany from touching Jorah, not that Jorah would have let that happen.

Tormund smiled at Brienne! She was right about Jon being broody, I wish he'd snap out of it because even though Sansa is stronger and take charge now, she doesn't know squat about battle tactics. I hope she'll listen to those who are trying to advise, such as Ser Davos ( btw, I love the way Melisandre says "Ser Davos"). Edd shouldn't be stuck at Castle Black, he belongs by Jon's side fighting the foe of the week. Isn't the Night's Watch only about 35 or so men now? Has KL stopped sending new recruits? Every time I see KL in these threads, I think of Knots Landing.lol

Bran's little solo vision quest reminded me of LOTR and Pip taking a peek into the palantir. I agree with a poster above, why would the 3ER and Bran be warging into the past watching something unimportant happening when they knew the WWs were coming? Just so Bran could see what happened with Hodor? What's the point in seeing it if he can't change it and it won't help him now?

My husband yesterday morning: "I'm going to the grocery store. Does a Girl have a list?"

• Love 17

All the time Littlefinger was being berated by Sansa I was distracted by the thought that he probably had an archer nearby to take out Brienne if she posed a threat to his life. 

There's no way a schemer like Littlefinger wouldn't have planned something for if things went nasty. 

Bran was completely useless this episode, just randomly hanging out in flashback land while his friend was screaming out his name. Seriously frustrating. 

As for the dire wolf, I was kind of wondering how it'd be of any use considering the only way to kill a wight is to set it on fire... 

I'm not sure why a White Walker wandered into the tree when it has all those undead foot soldiers at its disposal. 

It was interesting to get more backstory on the Children and White Walkers. 

Arya still bores me. 

• Love 2

I think the deal with the direwolfs is that they are a very expensive CGI to create and to me, not a real good one, since every time I see one I'm like, "shit, you can TELL that's CGI."  It's up there with "I can see the strings!"

But Hodor broke my heart and when they were screaming, "Hold the door," I'm thought, "Oh no they didn't." 

Because that phrase is part of a real nasty classest/racist joke that I heard decades ago. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, AliShibaz said:
11 hours ago, rungirl911 said:

Sansa is a super fast sewer.

Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm not looking for a quarrel. I really don't understand Sansa.

I just meant that she seemingly meant she sewed a dress & a coat for Jon in what seemed a very short amount of time.  Just a bit of levity in a dark episode. 

4 minutes ago, rungirl911 said:

I just meant that she seemingly meant she sewed a dress & a coat for Jon in what seemed a very short amount of time.  Just a bit of levity in a dark episode. 

OMG! and LOL! I never associated the word "sewer" with "one who sews". I thought you were referring to a sewer meaning the big pipes under a city that carries human waste. That was a real puzzle.

Thank you for explaining.

• Love 9

Right off the bat I was struck by how much emphasis there was on the face, both the face presented to the world and the face as a revealer of the true self, but then it turned out that the verb “face” was also emphasized as various characters faced up to challenges or were made to face the consequences of their actions. The camera really lingered on faces throughout the episode (even that charming small moment of Tormund's goofy infatuation face to Brienne and her facial reaction).

Sansa's face was stripped of emotion, yet was all the more powerful in making Littlefinger face up to what impact his manipulations had onher life. She is truly adopting the face of a ruler, but is her reluctance to reveal Littlefinger as the source of her Riverrun news a refusal to face a threat that wil cost her dearly? How appropriate, though, that her gift to Jon is one to emphasize his appearance as a Stark.

Arya's goal of becoming a non-Stark and adopting many faces is challenged in the supreme arena of many faces, the theater, where she is faced with the burlesque of her life and but also faced with the irony of “losing face” if she faces the lies about her family head-on. She must turn her own face away. The younger actress is truly seeming like the flower, but being the serpent under it.

And how is Bran's latest adventure introduced, but with a brief shot of the faces of the tree, and the vision of the creation of the white walkers is exemplified by the startling change to the face.

Yara does not have the face of a traditional Ironborn ruler, yet the one who does – Theon, has not the quality of a ruler she does possess – the heart/gut. Of course Euron has the traditional ruler-face in spades (and how on point that we are treated to extended shots of his underwater face as he is ceremoniously given the kingship.

Across the sea (and will Daenerys & Co. really have to face Euron's ship-troops, and will maybe Yara and Theon with their purloined vessels face up to Euron on Daenerys' side? Greyscale not only eventually changes the face, but the essential self, and religion is power's face to the world, insisting that there is only one way to face up to life's challenges, so which challenge will Dany face first – warfare, disease or the consequences of religious fanaticism?

Dear Dolorous Edd has a hard time seeing his his own face in the Lord Commander's form.

Bran had to face some hard truths, including losing his direwolf, his own role in the Hodor phenomenon and the enormity of the “coming of Winter.”

• Love 3

Thanks show, for making me finally understand the difference between a closed loop and an open loop (something often mentioned in the 12 Monkeys forum and I was never quite sure what it meant).

Yes, Sansa is really quite deft with needle and thread - I remember the badass outfit she made in the Vale in almost no tiem and now she's got herself a nice new dress complete with wolf applications AND a new coat for Jon. I was glad she took Littlefinger to task for what had happened to her (and I thought there was also some fourth wall-breaking going on there because last season some folks insisted that what had happened to her was not rape).

As for her keeping info from Jon and the others - she did inform them about the Tully troops but I can't blame her for keeping the bit about the knights of the Vale to herself. The Vale means Littlefinger and so far Starks trusting Littlefinger has not worked out that well. She lied about how she came to that info - maybe she thought talking about Littlefinger would bring up the question about the Vale and she simply did not want to go there. But you do have to wonder - someone arrives with a message for Sansa at Castle Black and nobody bothers to ask questions about the messenger or the message? Or was the messenger artfully disguised as peddler for haberdashery?

• Love 1

Why do we have to keep watching Arya get her ass kicked by that girl?  She's been kicking her ass since last season.  If they have one more duel between these two, I wish Arya could just pull out a gun and shoot her.

• Love 22
4 hours ago, Lady S. said:

I liked the play, though. It had not only Essie Davis, but Richard E. Grant as King Robert. The Lannisters are still in power so it makes sense that this was distorted propaganda, complete with making Tyrion responsible for Ned's betrayal and Ned's death to show the family traitor as the root of all their problems.

I'm not sure what was worse for Arya, watching the re-enactment of her father's execution or knowing that the play was entirely bullshit.

I wonder how Littlefinger would feel about the play and how his character was rolled into Tyrion.  I'm not sure if Littlefinger would be pleased that he's kept a relatively low profile, or enranged that, yet again, he's been overlooked, this time by a glorified carnival troupe

I feel like they're building up to Arya leaving the Faceless Men. She obviously isn't "no one," and the other girl knows it. And so does Jaquen. But if she leaves to resume her Stark identity, what a waste of time this plot has been. Not sure what to make of it.

If nothing else, it's giving her the training she'll need when she returns from Westeros.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Also hilarious: the janky ass Greyjoy crown. I get the symbolism and all, but damn. If the iron born are capable of creating those nice shields, you'd think they could at least sand down a few branches until they looked a little more symmetric.

I will have to re-watch (at least that part, not sure I can take the whole episode again) but I thought the crown was made of antlers. Still a stupid crown for the Iron Islands, but a bit better then driftwood? If it was driftwood, then I agree with everything that's been said. 

I'm with everyone else in the "stupid Bran" thinking, but I can't go so far as to blame him for all the ills that have befallen his family. Yes his fall from the tower led to the unleashing of the resentment between the Lanisters and the Starks, but regardless of that event, Ned still would have been asked to go to King's Landing to be Robert's Hand and he would have accepted and taken Arya and Sansa along. And Ned already had suspicions about the Lanisters involvement in the death of his predecessor (can't remember his name). Once he got to King's Landing he became even more wary of Cersei and Jamie and his investigations into what his predecessor had found out before he died led him to the conclusion that Joffrey was not Robert's son. And because Ned's honor trumped everything, he would still have done a lot of the stupid things he did. 

Yes, Catelyn (sp?) did go after Tyrion (thinking he was the one who'd injured Bran) and that contributed to the increasingly bad blood between the two families, but if Ned wasn't already challenging Joffrey's rule at the same time, Catelyn's kidnapping of Tyrion could have led to a different outcome.

Don't get me wrong I still find Bran to be super annoying and his actions beyond stupid - but a lot of the other stuff was already in motion, regardless of his fall from the tower.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

The Iron Born.  It's amazing that they chose their leader on the basis of his dick than on any intellect. What type of plan was that?  "Let's sail to wherever that Dragon bitch is and I will fuck her into submission! We'll rule Westeros!"  Jeez. They will never know that they lost a capable leader in Yara.  Women are awesome because we aren't handicapped by testosterone.

Euron emphasized that Daenerys was unmarried and that he'd offer his cock to her, i.e., presumably propose marriage (since that's how these sort of alliances are usually sealed).  He specifically discounted the idea that he would fuck Daenerys into submission

Yara: You're going to seduce the Dragon Queen?

Euron: I'm not going to seduce her. The Iron Fleet will seduce her. And together we're going to take the Seven Kingdoms.

Euron is proposing an alliance, including presumably marriage, with Daenerys based on their mutual hatred of the great lords of Westeros.  Daenerys supplies the army and the air force (dragons).  Euron supplies the navy.  I don't think Daenerys would accept because she and Euron appear to have different visions about the future social structure of the Seven Kingdoms, but that's an issue for another day.  At least Euron acknowledges the Iron Islanders can't do it alone.  In contrast, Yara essentially just.offered herself as Balon II.

• Love 1

I didn't read Sansa's lie to Jon as anything but a PTSD-linked aversion. Having to reveal the truth about her source would have required her to dwell on some pretty painful memories of betrayal so she gave a story that didn't require any such effort. I think she just cut ties with Littlefinger instead of killing him for the same reason... killing him would require her to dwell further on what she's suffered so she went for the fastest way to get him gone. I definitely don't see it as leading to a betrayal of Jon, but as something she'll eventually have to face and when she does it probably will not bode well for Littlefinger.

Honestly, I give some pretty heavy props to Sophie, Kit and the writers. They are doing a fantastic job portraying the effects of real life PTSD on both Jon and Sansa after their terribly traumatic ordeals. Jon is shaken and uncertain, Sansa's putting on a brave face, but is repressing and averting a lot of pain that comes out in moments like her lie to Jon.

In that regard too, I cringed at Sansa saying she is still physically (not just emotionally) feeling what Ramsey had done to her... I'm fully expecting a scene down the line where Sansa disrobes and we see scars from a whip, from bites, from burns or other things in places a dress would normally conceal... giving whole new weight to the impervious 'nothing can hurt me' face she's been presenting of late because she'll be feeling those scars for the rest of her life).

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

I will have to re-watch (at least that part, not sure I can take the whole episode again) but I thought the crown was made of antlers. Still a stupid crown for the Iron Islands, but a bit better then driftwood? If it was driftwood, then I agree with everything that's been said. 

The Iron Islands crown looks so much like The Eyrie throne, from the scene that haunts me to this day. 

Spoiler

robert-and-lysa.jpg

Greyjoys and Arryn's... same taste in decor, same unattractive citizens.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Advance35 said:
1 hour ago, AliShibaz said:

OMG! and LOL! I never associated the word "sewer" with "one who sews". I thought you were referring to a sewer meaning the big pipes under a city that carries human waste. That was a real puzzle.

Thank you for explaining.

LOL i think i could have said seamstress to make it more clear :) Sorry!

1 hour ago, Pop Tart said:

Don't get me wrong I still find Bran to be super annoying and his actions beyond stupid - but a lot of the other stuff was already in motion, regardless of his fall from the tower.

I am still trying to figure out why Bran matters at all, and what he can possibly do about anything in particular.  Why was 3ER grooming him and showing him the past?  Why were the CoF protecting him, and why did they give their lives to do so?  Not getting why Bran is considered such a special snowflake when he has been pretty much useless while everyone around him who is protecting him dies regularly.

• Love 4
(edited)

In that regard too, I cringed at Sansa saying she is still physically (not just emotionally) feeling what Ramsey had done to her... I'm fully expecting a scene down the line where Sansa disrobes and we see scars from a whip, from bites, from burns or other things in places a dress would normally conceal... giving whole new weight to the impervious 'nothing can hurt me' face she's been presenting of late because she'll be feeling those scars for the rest of her life).

I thought we saw Sansa in more revealing attire when she was locked in one of the Winterfell Towers.  She had clearly been beaten but it didn't look like she got more creative.   And Myranda seemed to intimate that her and Ramsay's version of "fun" with Sansa hadn't started yet.  But who knows.

I do have to admit I LOVE the scenes we get of Jon and Sansa.   They are just so different in EVERY way but at the same time they can relate.  I had to LOL when Sansa asked him if he liked her dress and Jon answered by gesturing at the dress and saying he liked the "wolf bit."   Maybe it was Kit's delivery but it made me smile for some reason.   I think a kind of aloofness fit's Sansa's character.

Edited by Advance35
Addition
  • Love 2
(edited)

I found it incredibly implausible that while they were initiating Euron, Yara and Theon made off with most of the fleet in broad daylight.  If it's that easy to steal the Ironborn's whole navy, lol, not impressed.  Plus it looked like everyone was throwing in with Euron, so who were all these people helping them?  I had to laugh when Euron said no problem, we'll just build a thousand more.  What's his timetable, a decade?

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2