Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: The Door

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, GrailKing said:

What I got:

Sansa hates LF, he threw in the half brother line to put a wall between Jon and Sansa, so he's going to manipulate them, Sansa lied to Jon was it because of what she has seen of "bastards" (Joffery, Ramsey) or does she have a reason?

Liked Brieene called her out on it, then Sansa gives Jon a Stark outfit patterned after Neds.

COF created the WW, who was the tree victim a Stark or random fellow, to kill the King do they have to remove the obsidian blade, or only dragon fire kills him.

Bran is responsible for Hodor, he created a paradox and the TEC couldn't fix it so now Bran must or they're screwed.

I also think this is going along with my thinking, the Direwolves were sent to protect the Starks, if the wolves die protecting a Stark I think it may prove to be a blessing in the future

ETA: How is she going to explain about the Vale army.

My thought was that the Starks will only be reunited as a family when the direwolves are all dead.

That was a good ep!

Hodor! Hold the door my man! Hold it well.

14 hours ago, Timetoread said:

Killed another fucking direwolf. Fuck this show.  If you kill the dragons, I'm out. Do NOT play with me.

This sounds so lame but the graphic way that it happened made me have a panic attack. I had to stop watching last night and am for now done with the show. I get that it's not real and I get that it's just a show (on some level at any rate) but damned if I didn't cuddle with my dogs whilst desolving into an inconsolable, sobbing mess. I can't handle animal deaths and probably will never be able to.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm not sure what was worse for Arya, watching the re-enactment of her father's execution or knowing that the play was entirely bullshit.

I think what was worse was the portrayal of her father - who was brave and honorable and loyal, not some doofus who wanted power for himself.  And what made it worse for me was that it was entirely accurate about the sad fate that befell Sansa and that to Lannister Productions, the truth of Sansa was entertainment enough.

This is why, no matter WHAT happens to Cersei, it is not as bad as what she deserves.  I say give Cersei to Ramsay and then Red Wedding the both of them.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 7

Poor Hodor.  I don't know why but that may be the saddest death we have seen the whole series. 

And yes the Direwolf.  How many are left now?  Any of them?  I lost count. 

Interesting in the play, they portrayed Ned Stark as a stupid dolt.  I never got that impression before from the show, that he lacked intelligence, but those plays in the past tend to play up the caricatures the general populace has of the characters in questions. 

I am still a bit confused about the white walkers.  So the tree people created them and then they turned against them? 

Sansa is trying to grow up and help regain Winterfell, we'll see how it works. 

• Love 1

NOOO HODORR!!!  That was awesome and at the same time sad backstory for him.  Damn it, Bran you were the cause of all these misfortunes.

How far can Meera drag Bran?  He was much bigger than her.  He needs to wrag into a horse or something if they ever has a chance to escape those zombies.

Am I the only 1 who likes to see Arya getting her ass kicked by the other girl?  Just when I thought she was getting the hang of it, the other girl f- her up with bare hands.  That was some impressing fighting coreography.  Arya has a loong way to go, and like the other girl said she was not faceless.  I do not get what the man wanted from the girl, though, some conflicting expectation from earlier episodes.

Awesome Sansa.  However, the "I feel Ramsay" lines was foreshadowing of baby Ramsay to me, sigh :(

The east LoF priestess actually made Varys afraid, not sure anyone ever done that in the show

Counting the hours until the east LoF priestess disrobes, the only question is if she disrobes before or after taking off her necklace :D :D :D

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I'm still having trouble processing this episode. GoT rips my guts out at least twice a season. You'd think it wouldn't hurt so much by now!

The Iron Born.  It's amazing that they chose their leader on the basis of his dick than on any intellect. What type of plan was that?  "Let's sail to wherever that Dragon bitch is and I will fuck her into submission! We'll rule Westeros!"  Jeez. They will never know that they lost a capable leader in Yara.  Women are awesome because we aren't handicapped by testosterone.

What I am going to enjoy is This Iron Born Dick coming up to our Dany, give his speech, and Dany just goes. 

"Drogo." 

(or you know. some version of that). You'd think people by now would realise what Dany does to sexist pigs. 

• Love 2

Am I the only one who feels like Many Faced Dude doesn't actually want A Girl to forget who she is and become faceless and nameless?  I think from day one he has known who is on her list and why.  It comes across to me that he is actually just training her to be able to pull it off.  He is teaching her how to control herself and her rage and to think about the act of killing in a more moral and selective way.  I think that the awful play was more case in point than anything about why the Starks need to be avenged.  Arya needs to pace herself and serve it up cold and in a way that they won't see her coming.  THAT is what he is teaching her.

• Love 19
(edited)

The iron-born may have to settle for a thousand-ish ships, give or take several hundred.  In addition to the labour shortage, there can't be that many trees on Pike and they may not have enough ships to scavenge the mainland. By the time they're ready, Yara will have already integrated her fleet into one of the contestants for the throne.

3 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

I agree with a poster above, why would the 3ER and Bran be warging into the past watching something unimportant happening when they knew the WWs were coming? Just so Bran could see what happened with Hodor? What's the point in seeing it if he can't change it and it won't help him now?

I wondered about that, too.  I thought maybe the three-eyed raven was giving Bran a crash course, the essential thing Bran had to know to take his place.  But beyond being a moment of good-byes, the vision seemed fairly innocuous in and of itself - the three-eyed raven could've chose a memory of how he became what he was, or how the Night King was last defeated.  So maybe it was all about closing the time loop for Hodor, to ensure that Hodor became the person Bran needed him to be to survive? 

Edited by La Dee Da
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

I thought we saw Sansa in more revealing attire when she was locked in one of the Winterfell Towers.  She had clearly been beaten but it didn't look like she got more creative.

We did, but that was also early on too. Specifically it was when Sansa asked Theon for help and he instead went to Ramsey and Ramsey flayed the old woman and told the guards to take Sansa back to her room. We don't know what happened between then and her escape, but it was enough that she would rather be killed by Myranda or jump off a battlement than go back to it.

Part of my theorizing on this is that I suspect now that she's legal, the producers are going to want to do some sort of nude (or semi-nude) scene with Sophie at some point and selling it as 'dramatically appropriate' (just as Mel and Dany's nudity this season wasn't just gratuitous but in service to the story) by having it reveal the scars she's received seems to be right up their ally for how they've been presenting nudity with their leads lately.

• Love 1

As for Dire Wolves, I believe their deaths signified major changes in their owners lives.  Except for Rob, those deaths were the points where their owners "grew up".  So sadly, Ghost probably needs to die before John can give up his sulking/brooding ways :P

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

The east LoF priestess actually made Varys afraid, not sure anyone ever done that in the show

I thought that bit was interesting.  The priestess knew all about Varys' experience with the sorcerer, and she specifically asked him if he remembered whose voice it was he heard in the fire after the sorcerer threw his manly bits into the fire, and what the voice said.  THAT seems to be what spooked him. 

So whose voice was it?  What did it say?  Did Varys ever tell us those details? 

• Love 4

Just had a thought about Sansa lying to Jon.  People keep asking why but I think because Sansa, having been reared in the Game by being a pawn in the game has learned the art of never showing your hand.  She'll give the intel but not reveal her sources.  She is becoming, as I have believed from the beginning, a real player.

As for her trusting LF, I think it is because she sort of has a thing for him (even as she hates him for the betrayal).  He is the first man to make her feel like a WOMAN.  She is responding to him, erroneously, in that way.  What I do find entertaining is Jon's bemusement at Sansa the Woman.  She is no longer the spoiled little brat who tormented him.  She is large and in charge and wearing her family name like armor.  He keeps looking at her like "Who ARE you?"

Re the Direwolves, what bothers me is that the show bothered to make these magnificent mythical creatures but then portray them simply as "dogs".  The only one who got "boss" status was Grey Wind - my favorite scene being when the wolf made Jaime Lannister pee his pants.  I think just like Dany's dragons are shown to have intellect and will, so too should the wolves.  But I am about to emotionally divest from them because apparently the show doesn't like them and thinks it's entertainment to kill a dog in every episode, which means Jon should give Ghost a Scooby snack right now because he isn't long for this world.

• Love 5
(edited)

I must be a mean old lady like the paperboy says (credit: Sophia Petrillo), because the killing of the direwolves doesn't really bother me.  I mean, they're cute and I wish they wouldn't kill them, because I'd like a little Stark happiness for a change, but I don't really give them much thought otherwise.

And I meant to mention earlier that when Tyrion said the people needed to hear from a woman, I first thought/hoped he was talking about our beloved Missandei.

Edited by TaraS1
  • Love 14

I don't get the significance of the direwolves at this point.  They seemed like a really big deal in Season 1, and it seemed important that the Starks had direwolves again.  But in the end, they really didn't do a whole lot and certainly weren't much protection for the Stark family, and I wasn't seeing any magic coming from them.  So I guess they were just the North version of family dogs, like the Queen's Corgis.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

OMG! and LOL! I never associated the word "sewer" with "one who sews". I thought you were referring to a sewer meaning the big pipes under a city that carries human waste. That was a real puzzle.

Thank you for explaining.

That could be due to the fact such people are called seamstress.  

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, taanja said:

My thought was that the Starks will only be reunited as a family when the direwolves are all dead.

That was a good ep!

Hodor! Hold the door my man! Hold it well.

Mine is based on Sansa loosing her wolf early, removing her from the magic of the old gods as Jon pointed out in episode 1, depending on how a wolf dies may determine a Starks fate, Sansa's can go many ways as we can look at her wolf as being sacrificed by Ned, hence she may sacrifice her self for family, or it could mean if she lives; it will be through what she's learned in life without any magic.

Jon could be the same, Arya seems really tied to magic as is Bran, and it doesn't look good for Rickon.

Bran created this problem and if he can't fix it all the Starks will die he would just die last, in great regret.

15 hours ago, Neurochick said:

That whole thing with Bran was strange.  So time isn't linear?  Hodor saw the future as a child?

Seems similar to 12 Monkeys. Young Bruce Willis sees his adult version killed at the airport. By travelling back in time but failing to stop the virus ensures that he grows up in a wasteland and eventually volunteers for time travel duty.  Hodor had a date with destiny (density) .

• Love 1

I haven't gotten this emotional over a television show since Lost, and then I found out the guy who directed this episode also directed some of Lost's most gut wrenching episodes. Goddamn, that was a tough 10 minutes.

• Love 2

I don't really get what happened to Hodor. Is there a distinction between "warging" into another body and "warging" into the past? Is that technically even called "warging" when Bran projects himself into the past? Because he's in the past, and at the same time, was able to warg himself into Hodor while still warged into the past. And that somehow caused past Hodor (Willis) to see into the future and traumatize him to the point where he was no longer able to say anything other than "Hodor?" The mechanics of all of this baffle me.

• Love 1

Why is the Night King so afraid of Bran? That seems to be the only possible reason for his hurried trip to the tree as soon as he became aware of Bran.

Can Bran change the past? Can Bran undo the making of the White Walkers?  Can Bran undo the entire history of Westeros?

Did the children "make" the dragons, too?

I'd like to see Nymeria turn up backed by several litters and chew up the bad guys and reunite with the Starks.

I'm sure that TPTB and GRRM know by now that we all hate seeing the direwolves killed; is it posssible there's a purpose to it?? (There had better be!!!)

Was Bran still warging Hodor as he was being killed?

Will we really see a "walking dead" Hodor and Summer?

• Love 3
(edited)

So there's actually a back door, a physical door, to the root space underneath the weirwood tree?  Why?  So that the Children of the Forest could take out the trash?  Why didn't the wights and white walkers try to get in there when they couldn't get in the other opening?

The attack of the wights reminded me of those endless attacked-by-the-orcs sequences in the Hobbit.  Except for the Hodor part which was actually sad.  Hodor

Does Little Finger have a transporter?  Everyone else, tramp tramp tramp, days between places.  Little Finger, zip zop from the Dale to the Wall.  One day!  It took Ned Stark longer to pack.

One other problem with Sansa not telling Jon about Little Finger and his army - won't they see it as they go tramp tramping past?  Armies are kind of big.

I'm with everyone else on the wonderful crown that Euron is wearing (why does his name sound like a brand of gasoline) - shouldn't it be made out of iron?

And enough with  "the Iron Price"!  Everytime I hear it, I think it must be 20% off something.  "Today's special, the Iron Price!"

Edited by meep.meep
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Duke Silver said:

Was anyone else taken aback by Varys' open hostility to the Rachel Weisz clone/red priestess?  He's normally so composed & cards-close-to-the-vest in those types of situations.

Not at all, Varys hates magic and those who practice it.  He just wasn't prepared for all she knew.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Was anyone else taken aback by Varys' open hostility to the Rachel Weisz clone/red priestess?  He's normally so composed & cards-close-to-the-vest in those types of situations.

Nope, watch the story he told Tyrion about the sorcerer in the box (s3, I think) and his hatred flew right out of that 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Timetoread said:

Am I the only one who feels like Many Faced Dude doesn't actually want A Girl to forget who she is and become faceless and nameless?  I think from day one he has known who is on her list and why.  It comes across to me that he is actually just training her to be able to pull it off.  He is teaching her how to control herself and her rage and to think about the act of killing in a more moral and selective way.  I think that the awful play was more case in point than anything about why the Starks need to be avenged.  Arya needs to pace herself and serve it up cold and in a way that they won't see her coming.  THAT is what he is teaching her.

Agreed. Arya's personality is what made him interested in the first place, turning into A Girl would probably be a loss to him. Most of this entire exercise seems to be trying to teach her how to lie. Truly lie, down to the bones lie, to the point where even a Faceless Man can't tell. Not for her to completely commit to the process. It's going to take a superhuman effort for her to maintain her cover when she's face-to-face with someone like Cersei. 

Ok, that other trainee ratcheting up the difficulty was awesome. She was like "great, I can finally pummel you with my bare hands, getting your blood all over my knuckles is my favorite." 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 3

To me, on his solo quest Bran went exactly to the place where Night King was created, only in the present time.  Back when CotF made NK the north was still lush and green, now it is desolate and icy, plus the tree is split in half.

My question is, wtf did NK do standing there with his zombie army facing the tree (ie a dead end)? Did he know Bran would "come" to that place?

• Love 1

I was really hoping Euron wouldn't awaken from his watery nap. 

Made me think of those old trials to see if an accused was really a witch, like "ducking".  If the woman survived, she's a witch! If she drowned, good news, she's innocent.

• Love 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't really get what happened to Hodor. Is there a distinction between "warging" into another body and "warging" into the past? Is that technically even called "warging" when Bran projects himself into the past? Because he's in the past, and at the same time, was able to warg himself into Hodor while still warged into the past. And that somehow caused past Hodor (Willis) to see into the future and traumatize him to the point where he was no longer able to say anything other than "Hodor?" The mechanics of all of this baffle me.

I'm confused too.  What I think happened was Meera wanted present Bran to warg into present Hodor, so they could get the hell out of the cave, but since Bran was both in the present and the past, he accidentally warged into past Hodor.  So,  present Bran warged into past Hodor, and past Hodor kept hearing Meera scream, "Hold the door!" which freaked past Hodor out, because he didn't know what the hell was going on, to him, he was hearing voices, he was seeing his own death; then he kept screaming "Hold the door" until it became "Hodor." 

Not 100% sure if that's it.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6

Thinking back now to last weeks episode. We all cheered when Dany gave it back, hot, to all those sneering Khals. But now, after the fact….realizing she committed murder, on a pretty huge scale.

Just now, LuciaMia said:

Thinking back now to last weeks episode. We all cheered when Dany gave it back, hot, to all those sneering Khals. But now, after the fact….realizing she committed murder, on a pretty huge scale.

Danny is used to killing on a big scale.  She killed the new masters in Meereen just because she suspected they were behind the Sons of Harpies.  How about back when she took over Meereen?  She killed all of the old masters even though some treated their slaves favorably.  In her world, it was pretty much kill or be killed.

2 hours ago, Timetoread said:

Yes! yes! Yes! because her rage and recklessness was going to get her killed.

54 minutes ago, Tyro49 said:

Did the children "make" the dragons, too?

I think they originate in Essos. The Targaryens brought the dragons with them from Valyria and when Illyrio Mopatis gave Daenerys her eggs,  he said they were from Asshai.

So, Bran is responsible for melting sweet Wyllis' brain and for killing Hodor, so he (Bran) could escape and live.  I don't like it.  I'm not hating on Bran, and I understand the story telling reasons, or at least trust them, but ugh.

• Love 2

I have to wonder how much of this show is devoted to the conflict between the genders.

So many times, the females have shown themselves to be much better rulers than the males. If there will be one ultimate ruler, surely it will be a female.

I'd guess that Sansa will wind up ruling the North. Perhaps her lie to John will be responsible for her being unable to rule the entire world. But maybe Danerys and Sansa will strike a deal that Dany will rule all the lands and Sansa will rule the North which will be an independent kingdom within all the lands.

What about the Iron Islands? They aren't part of "all the lands". They are part of the seas. So Yarrah may well win there and become the ruler of the Iron Islands.

Danerys, Sansa and Yarrah. They deserve to become the winners. Am I forgetting anyone? Cersei and Margaery both have too many shortcomings and may well kill each other off long before the finals begin. But still, I have the feeling I'm forgetting someone?

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I think we need more happy:

tumblr_o7ldje4R0u1rwt5lho4_250.gif

Brienne. the man loves you. just go with it. 

Tormund has to work on his game. I don't think there's much of a difference between the look on his face before he kills you and his sexy face. But agreed...go with it Brienne! How many bed frames will these two break? :)~

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, izabella said:

I thought that bit was interesting.  The priestess knew all about Varys' experience with the sorcerer, and she specifically asked him if he remembered whose voice it was he heard in the fire after the sorcerer threw his manly bits into the fire, and what the voice said.  THAT seems to be what spooked him. 

So whose voice was it?  What did it say?  Did Varys ever tell us those details? 

Going back to season 2 (actually hinted at and full revealed in season 3) this experience is what made Varys so anti-Stannis.  That Melisandre engaged in the type of magic that harmed him so much.  Kinvara revealing that she knew everyhing did nothing to reassure him that she was any less dangerous or any different.  And as a raw power play it worked to unnerve Varys which was obviously her intention.  Going back to something I mentioned before re-watching the episode she is introduced as "the First Servant of the Lord of Light."  Which I assume indicates a high or perhaps even ultimate rank in the cult of the Lord of Light.  So I assume she outranks Melisandre.  Which again leads to the question of whether when she says "everyone makes mistakes even honest servants of the Lord" was she only referring to Melisandre or to a more generalized mistake?  And has Melisandre gone rogue?  Which is possible given Thoros didn't seem to indicate he was given much direction when Melisandre and talked a few episodes ago.

Also an observation about the creation of the White Walkers.  The Children of the Forest used what looks like an obsidian dagger in their creation.  I assume the reason why they are vulnerable to obsidian weapons.

Edited by Taget
remembered I got the timeline a bit wrong
46 minutes ago, taanja said:

Yes! yes! Yes! because her rage and recklessness was going to get her killed.

If IRC, their relationship began when the man was in trouble and Arya helped him out. He promised her 3 deaths because he was grateful to her.

But perhaps his true gratitude took the form of knowing about her and her list and realizing she didn't have what it would take to assassinate all those people and the only way she would realize that was if she tried to join the Brotherhood and decided for herself that she just couldn't make it as an assassin. Then she would be free to rejoin her family and give up her notion of assassinating so many people. Then she could live out a good and happy life - at least as happy as Arya could ever be.

7 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

why would the 3ER and Bran be warging into the past watching something unimportant happening when they knew the WWs were coming? Just so Bran could see what happened with Hodor? What's the point in seeing it if he can't change it and it won't help him now?

I took it as the 3ER making sure that what had happened, happened.  In other words, Bran always did Hodorize Hodor and so had to be astrally brought back to do it and complete the time loop.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Poor Hodor.  I don't know why but that may be the saddest death we have seen the whole series. 

And yes the Direwolf.  How many are left now?  Any of them?  I lost count. 

Interesting in the play, they portrayed Ned Stark as a stupid dolt.  I never got that impression before from the show, that he lacked intelligence, but those plays in the past tend to play up the caricatures the general populace has of the characters in questions. 

I'll bet they did a word cloud from fan comments to find out how to caricature him. When people rant about Ned, the word stupid comes up the most often. And of course expecting things to work the way they did back home, does tend to come across as dumb.

I can't bear the direwolf losses, but at least Summer went out fighting. Hodor bothers me more, and that's a rare thing. Usually the animal deaths tear me up, but I can handle the human stuff, but Hodor's demise was too much for me.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Dobian said:

I found it incredibly implausible that while they were initiating Euron, Yara and Theon made off with most of the fleet in broad daylight.  If it's that easy to steal the Greyjoys' whole navy, lol, not impressed.  Plus it looked like everyone was throwing in with Euron, so who were all these people helping them?  I had to laugh when Euron said no problem, we'll just build a thousand more.  What's his timetable, a decade?

While I think that it hard to believe that there wasn't blood shed, I don't think that it is implausible. Yara has her own fleet of ships and commands her own clansmen as well as men from other clans. These were the men fleeing with her. They are loyal to Yara personally as well as Balon. They don't want to serve Euron who killed their king and as Balon pointed out, Euron is considered to be insane by many Ironborn. The men at the crowning who voted for Euron were the clan leaders/lords, many of whom are misogynists and who have their own agendas. Building a new fleet in a short time is ridiculous, but also reflects Euron's instability.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I can't even lie to you guys...I'm crushing on Tormund.  The guy who plays him is wicked hot. Perhaps not so much when he is making that face at Brienne up there but still.  Rawr.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, DarkRaichu said:

To me, on his solo quest Bran went exactly to the place where Night King was created, only in the present time.  Back when CotF made NK the north was still lush and green, now it is desolate and icy, plus the tree is split in half.

My question is, wtf did NK do standing there with his zombie army facing the tree (ie a dead end)? Did he know Bran would "come" to that place?

Good idea, it being the same tree. So now we know the WW can haul ass when they need to. So what have they been doing for 6 seasons? Building an army by invading villages and turning people into zombies, and transforming babies into WW?

Everytime a direwolf dies, I get more and more pissed at the show. Seriously, there's better be a better reason than CGI is expensive. And Hodor... I cried big ugly tears. Fuck Bran.

Also, sorry show, but I don't care about that Euron dude, who's come out of nowhere and been on the show for 30 seconds in 6 seasons.

Edited by Isazouzi
  • Love 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Isazouzi said:

Good idea, it being the same tree. So now we know the WW can haul ass when they need to. So what have they been doing for 6 seasons? Building an army by invading villages and turning people into zombies, and transforming babies into WW?

They are waiting for the (long) winter so it will be easier to invade south.  Methinks WW are weaker in the hot desert..

Having said that, how far south will this winter reach? Will the deserts of Dorne be cold during day time in winter? 

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1

I'm with everyone else on the wonderful crown that Euron is wearing (why does his name sound like a brand of gasoline) - shouldn't it be made out of iron?

Symbolism might dictate that the crown be made of iron, but practicality kind of negates that idea. An iron crown the size of the driftwood one would be as heavy as an anchor, and a mere iron circlet that might be bearable enough to wear would not be terrifically impressive as a symbol. Perhaps they need a better driftwood sculptor...<g>

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

Symbolism might dictate that the crown be made of iron, but practicality kind of negates that idea. An iron crown the size of the driftwood one would be as heavy as an anchor, and a mere iron circlet that might be bearable enough to wear would not be terrifically impressive as a symbol. Perhaps they need a better driftwood sculptor...<g>

I think it is simpler than that.  The iron king needs to survive drowning.  What does not drown but floats on sea? Wood.  Thus crown made of wood.

• Love 4