Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E08: I Have A Wedgie And A Half

• Start Topic

This was a fun episode and I give props to Sheri for not only doing the bike race- and getting the clue! - but for doing it cheerfully and without the whining of the frisbee dudes. I can only imagine how Dana would have handled bike racing.

Oh, self-navigation, how I have missed you.

• Love 10

Dana was pretty uncomfortable with her swimsuit top.  Why exactly I don't know.  She totally lost it, later on.  

Just because of the Indefiniteness of Pronouns, that seems to read as "She lost her top, later on." Sorry, I'm easily amused sometimes.

More seriously, I'll say on re-viewing that she was already "in a state" earlier in the leg while leading the camels -- she needed a parent to swoop in and say she needed a time-out and a good nap. (Accumulated Killer Fatigue, in other words.) Because she was complaining that her partner wasn't complaining more. She was angry that he wasn't hot and miserable, like she was.

The one thing I will say in defense of Dana's behavior later is that she was reading directions to their destination and he was clearly not listening and then asking her to repeat the same directions AND questioning whether they were correct, which is really annoying. 

My reading of that particular situation is that they were both falling short of what was needed, navigation-wise. Apparently they aren't used to working like this (either they don't drive together, or GPS always handles everything for them). She could only read what the instructions said but couldn't break them down into "that means you need to turn right, right here"; and he is one of those people who can't translate a paragraph of directions either -- he needed step-by-step, right-now instructions. They weren't a good match, and I actually sympathize with her a little more there... up to the point where she shut down and picked that fight.

(I even sympathize with the feeling she described in retrospect as "I knew I was wrong and being unreasonable, but I couldn't stop myself" -- most of us have had a moment like that sometime. But having recognized it, one needs to do something about it, even if it's just the minimum to allow continuing.)

• Love 15

My reading of that particular situation is that they were both falling short of what was needed, navigation-wise. Apparently they aren't used to working like this (either they don't drive together, or GPS always handles everything for them). She could only read what the instructions said but couldn't break them down into "that means you need to turn right, right here"; and he is one of those people who can't translate a paragraph of directions either -- he needed step-by-step, right-now instructions. They weren't a good match, and I actually sympathize with her a little more there... up to the point where she shut down and picked that fight.

(I even sympathize with the feeling she described in retrospect as "I knew I was wrong and being unreasonable, but I couldn't stop myself" -- most of us have had a moment like that sometime. But having recognized it, one needs to do something about it, even if it's just the minimum to allow continuing.)

The thing is....I don't know of many people who could take a paragraph of directions in a completely foreign location.  I don't think I could.  When I navigate I'll normally give the person the paragraph version of the directions, but I will also give them the step by step directions, and be on the lookout.  It sort of seems like an asshole move to think that you'll just give a person a solid paragraph of directions and then sit back and consider your job done.  And it really rubbed me wrong when she was saying something to the effect of "well, it won't be my fault when we lose," which reads to me more like she is concerned about things not being her fault than actually succeeding at the task, and helping her partner.

• Love 13

Haha, those gold bathing suits and swimming in a shark-infested pool. A throwback to James Bond in Thunderball, with a little gold from Goldfinger thrown in! Loved seeing that challenge. Of course most of the racers probably don't remember those movies, so the irony was lost on them. That slide looked like fun.

I knew Dana was going to have a meltdown at some point, it was a question of when. It's sad that Sheri had to drive and try to navigate at the same time, which was supposed to be Cole's job. He seems useless most of the time. Sheri is definitely the brains of that outfit. Glad they weren't eliminated, though.

• Love 14

It looked like the women weren't allowed in the Bedouin camp.  I wonder what would have happened if an all woman team had made it to that stop.

They just would not be allowed in.  They have very strict laws about women.  Well everything really.  The racers were protected by the government.  TV/movies bring in the tourist trade.  Tourism constitutes 85% of their wealth, not oil. 

Here are some of their laws. Most tourists stay in hotel conclaves  where they are protected.  There is no venturing out into the local scene as one usually does when exploring a foreign country. 

http://www.realityviews.in/2010/01/going-to-dubai-know-41-laws-do-and.html

Just because of the Indefiniteness of Pronouns, that seems to read as "She lost her top, later on." Sorry, I'm easily amused sometimes.

Heh!  When I read it back I didn't notice that.   She seemed concerned about her décolletage from the get-go, so that would have upset her, I'd think.  Dunno why. None of the ladies had any reason to be embarrassed with their swimsuits.  'Course, I'd have taken a 4-hour penalty before I allowed myself out in the broad light of day, wearing those trunks...

He seems useless most of the time.

Yup!

They just would not be allowed in.  They have very strict laws about women.

I have no sympathy for them.  If they legitimately feel that way, they shouldn't allow those gold swimsuits in the door.

I will say that I don't think TPTB went out and found some stray Bedouin camp, and walked their contestants in.  Least ways, I hope not!  I presume the entire scene was staged, and that the local participants were advised in advance as to what to expect, and would have had to agree to proceed.  I'm never too concerned for the sensibilities of staged participants.  It's when contestants button-hole some ordinary citizen on the street, that I wonder!

• Love 7

I just watched this morning.  I am praying for the day that Brodie goes because I have such a headache after watching.  He yells at every.single.task!!!

Dana?  OMG what a bitch.  I love the way she is so nasty and then says "both of them".  Really?  I didn't see Matt say one nasty thing throughout the episode.  He better run because married life with her is going to make him miserable.

The Atlantis tasks looked like fun.  I did that helmet thing in Bermuda once and it's lots of fun.

Stupid Brodie giving up the express pass for such an easy task.

Edited to change Tyler to Brodie...(that's who I meant)

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 4

Do you think Tyler is aware of the cameras on him. <sarcasm>. He so anoyyyinnnngg! He thinks he's funny.....he's not. He thinks he's being witty......he's not. He thinks Phil wants to to nose rub him.........he doesn't. I really don't want Tyler to win.

• Love 11

Heh!  When I read it back I didn't notice that.   She seemed concerned about her décolletage from the get-go, so that would have upset her, I'd think.  Dunno why. None of the ladies had any reason to be embarrassed with their swimsuits.  'Course, I'd have taken a 4-hour penalty before I allowed myself out in the broad light of day, wearing those trunks...

Yup!

I have no sympathy for them.  If they legitimately feel that way, they shouldn't allow those gold swimsuits in the door.

I will say that I don't think TPTB went out and found some stray Bedouin camp, and walked their contestants in.  Least ways, I hope not!  I presume the entire scene was staged, and that the local participants were advised in advance as to what to expect, and would have had to agree to proceed.  I'm never too concerned for the sensibilities of staged participants.  It's when contestants button-hole some ordinary citizen on the street, that I wonder!

That water slide is in a safe place for tourists with no dress codes or strict laws.  The camp was a set up, of course.  Had it been real women would not be allowed.  No sympathy?  Of course not!

• Love 1

Two things

1) the CDC recommends against drinking camel's mild or spending much time with camels because of the association of camels with MERS so I was surprised to see the race have the racers in such close proximity to the camels

2) Dana and Matt are a classic example of mismatched communication styles. Under pressure, he gets calm and just wants the facts. Under pressure, she gets emotional. If he had spent just a little time validating her emotional distress, she would have been able to calm down to give him the facts he wanted. Instead, he went hyper logical and that made her go hyper emotional and that made him get hyper logical again.

Sometimes, when people are feeling so emotional, the best thing you can do is to let them be emotional, validate their frustration/anger/sadness, etc. That will give them the reassurance they need to calm down. Going into "problem solving" mode, without acknowledging your partner's response to the problem, often backfires.

• Love 7

I'm really enjoying this season - the tasks were very challenging thids episode, as they should be.

I'm also liking some people more as I get to know them, starting with Sherri, who I think is truly awesome.

I even like the Kurt and Brody team, and I don't often like M/M team, but there is something in them that seems genuine and good natured that appeals to me. 

[Edited because ever and even look alike but don't mean the same thing]

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 5

I was so hoping the dancers would go this episode so I don't have to hear her bitchiness anymore. She drives me nuts!

Yes, Cole is a bit of a dud but he didn't bother me so much this episode and I liked how encouraging he was to his mamma. And man, she is my fave, she just rocks it out! Did not like all her crying in past episodes but I think now that she realizes she can 'hang' maybe she won't be so teary. The navigation though...they need to step it up there. Their continuing to just keep driving reminds me of my DH (I'd probably pull a Dana on my DH if we were on TAR but he'd deserve it...lol) and is just not the thing to do in a race.

I like Tyler and Corey...they are cute. Don't mind the constant cheesing for the camera with them.

Brody and what's-his-name...they do get on my nerves with Brody's constant yelling. He doesn't use a talking voice but a yelling voice and it bugs me just as much as Rick's constant gritty growly voice on TWD (Coral).

The video gamers...they are a cute couple. I knew he'd pound out that 'puzzle' as it was so in his wheel-house. 

I was surprised to see that nobody pulled a Micah from that infamous TAR season failed water slide task. I probably would do just like she did and panic and refuse to go...especially the coffin style set up...nope, couldn't do it. Maybe if I hustled up the stairs and got right on without thinking about it or watching anyone else go. I chuckled at Corey's 'you're turn' quip to Tyler after the other team went. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1

The next time Dana freaks out and says she's done with you (Matt), he should be like OK, see ya! and exit stage left. Serious abuse there, he should get out.

While in the gold bikini, Sherri was probably thinking, my boob job was worth every cent.

• Love 10

Great leg (FINALLY THEY ARE DRIVING THEMSELVES!!!! This season is beaten last season already just because of this). Actually, for being such a hard leg, its shouldnt be a NEL ( Cole and Shelly should get a decent Speed Bump next leg). This season started with some very easy legs (was expecting them to make things too easy for this people) but leg after leg, we are getting more and  more of what makes Amazing Race so good and its getting harder, so I hope they keep the trend. Glad at least the Express Pass is finally gone, so maybe we can get rid of the annoyning Brodie at some point? Specially now with a couple team waking up to the competition.

Edited by Guiaoshi

The thing is....I don't know of many people who could take a paragraph of directions in a completely foreign location.  I don't think I could.  When I navigate I'll normally give the person the paragraph version of the directions, but I will also give them the step by step directions, and be on the lookout.  It sort of seems like an asshole move to think that you'll just give a person a solid paragraph of directions and then sit back and consider your job done.  And it really rubbed me wrong when she was saying something to the effect of "well, it won't be my fault when we lose," which reads to me more like she is concerned about things not being her fault than actually succeeding at the task, and helping her partner.

I am with you on the directions.  She should have read the paragraph then helped him with the step-by-step.  He may be driving but she still has eyes and a brain.  Dana was in full melt down (or on her way at that point).  He would have been better off taking the directions from her and doing the navigating and driving. 

• Love 6
The one thing I will say in defense of Dana's behavior later is that she was reading directions to their destination and he was clearly not listening and then asking her to repeat the same directions AND questioning whether they were correct, which is really annoying. Look, dude, she hasn't been to Dubai before either. It's not like she's tellng you how to get to her house or somewhere she's been a million times. She is reading the directions to you as they appear in front of her. She can't tell if they're right or not any more than you can so just listen to what she's saying and follow the directions. But yeah, her meltdown was painful to watch.

Not only that, but there was an earlier scene before the big blowup where she was reading directions and he didn't respond, and she said, "are you listening to me?" with a kind of resignation that tells me that him not listening to her is a common occurrence, and when he asked her to repeat herself, that confirmed that he hadn't been. Even before the later fight, where he also clearly wasn't listening, I was immediately 100 times more sympathetic to Dana, even though she's been the only racer up until now that I've had any real dislike for. This isn't like Hayley screeching at Blair, "YOU NEVER LISTEN!" Blair didn't always agree and he didn't always do what Hayley wanted, but he did listen. Matt doesn't, and this is the first week we've really seen that. Before Dana lost it, she repeated the directions over and over again and it wasn't as if she was saying anything complicated; he simply wasn't paying attention. I have a couple of people I'm close to who are like that, and although I love them and they love me, it is the most belittling feeling to have to repeat myself constantly, answer the same question multiple times because it's easier for them to ask again and again rather than remember the answer, and especially to be asked a question, start to answer it, and see by their non-reaction that they stopped paying attention as soon as they stopped speaking and I started. And it's made not being listened to by people other than them kind of a hot button, which makes Dana's rudeness to the cab driver last week a little more understandable to me. She was asking him questions and for whatever reason (probably the language barrier), he wasn't answering. It wasn't the cab driver's fault, but now knowing that Dana is probably ignored on a daily basis, I understand the kind of visceral reaction that would set off in her. This is not to say that Dana can yell at anyone at will or that Matt is a bad guy; he seems very decent, but the dynamic I saw was not angry shrew vs. henpecked fiance. What I saw was a lot of entrenched behavior that's not one-sided. He's as much responsible for their dysfunction as she is.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 21

Ha, this is why I refuse to be navigator! I learned to drive in a friend's car, and we were the exact opposite. She'd want to know every step of the instructions, because she can apparently recreate a 3D topographical map with her brain and carry on.

Whereas I'm like WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME WHAT TO DO 3 TURNS FROM NOW? Giving me extra directions I can't process drives up my blood pressure instantaneously. 

Car directions are super stressful. I also despise having to repeat myself, so I would be just as terrible as Dana in that situation, because that boy apparently has hollow tubes running through his brain when it comes to directions. Switching drivers probably wouldn't work either, 'cause he seems like that guy who spends a lot of time fussing with the paper trying to figure stuff out while you're asking "Am I turning here? Am I? What does it say?"

Her screaming and calling him psychotic while he peers bewilderingly in the rear-view mirror was literally one of my favorite TAR moments. 

Magician's girlfriend has seemed pretty game for anything thus far, so I don't know why he didn't just listen when she said she wasn't comfortable riding the bike. I love how Burnie took one look at Ashley all hunched over after trial one and said "I'm calling it, we're switching."

Why was Brodie screeching at Kurt to push it when he was the one drafting off Kurt? He is loud and annoying and ruins everything. 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 4

Read the directions together and make sure you understand them, before getting in the car and driving off. That would have saved Sheri and Cole from last place, since he has proven himself completely useless at navigation already in previous legs.

I don't know if it would have prevented Dana from melting down, because she has already been losing her shit on a continual basis all season (she was angry that he wasn't complaining and suffering enough in the heat?!) but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Of course, if Sheri and Cole had not gotten lost, Dana and her Silent Partner team would have probably been last, and then we'd get treated to them doing a speed bump, and maybe a murder-suicide, next week.

• Love 4

I wonder if Matt is so used to Dana going off on screaming rants, that he just tunes her out.

I just watched this morning.  I am praying for the day that Tyler goes because I have such a headache after watching.  He yells at every.single.task!!!

That's Tyler.  Tyler is loud and laughs at everything.

But I don't find him nearly as obnoxious as Brodie.  And Dana, I just can't.

• Love 7

I just watched this morning.  I am praying for the day that Tyler goes because I have such a headache after watching.  He yells at every.single.task!!!

Stupid Tyler giving up the express pass for such an easy task.

I think you mean Brodie?  For both of these things?

• Love 5

Ha, this is why I refuse to be navigator! I learned to drive in a friend's car, and we were the exact opposite. She'd want to know every step of the instructions, because she can apparently recreate a 3D topographical map with her brain and carry on.

Whereas I'm like WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME WHAT TO DO 3 TURNS FROM NOW? Giving me extra directions I can't process drives up my blood pressure instantaneously. 

Why was Brodie screeching at Kurt to push it when he was the one drafting off Kurt? He is loud and annoying and ruins everything.

This is why people should learn to navigate with a map, not a gps. With a map you can see alternate routes and where you are going to be going 3 turns from now.

I think you mean Tyler and his partner, not Kurt and Brodie.

Now I have to ask a strange question - have Burnie and Ashley been on the race the whole time, or were they some mid-season replacements that production sneaked in?

Because I don't remember them at all before maybe 2 episodes back. UTR isn't a strategy for this game.

• Love 2

From what I recall, Dana didn't give Matt a paragraph of instructions. She gave him two pieces of information. One was the exit number (66E?) and then she said once they entered the roundabout, it was the third exit. Those are two pieces of information that go together and it's not an overwhelming amount of information to get at once. Maybe I'm remembering their conversation incorrectly, but I already deleted the episode so I can't check. But what I do remember thinking when I watched it was dude, you guys are dancers. Most of the time, choreography is taught in units of eight. If you are capable of learning eight counts of choreography at a time, why can't you remember two pieces of information at the same time? I would have been chanting, "66E, third exit" to myself over and over until I did it.

I get that people have different preferences as to how they want to get directions and that can be difficult to deal with when the person giving directions has a different style than the person receiving directions. My personal preference is being told do this, then it's X distance before doing this (turn right on Main Street, stay on it for 0.2 miles, then turn left on West Street) because my biggest pet peeve is when someone only tells you the immediate next thing (turn right on Main Street) and then two seconds later they're yelling, "Wait, turn left on West! You just missed it!"

• Love 8

I enjoyed the tasks, although it seemed to me that the camel biking was too easy.  If they lost, they got a huge head start, and none of the teams had any issues with beating the camels on their second try.  Even Tyler, who looked like he wasn't even attempting to go fast.

I think Brodie gave up too early on the floating puzzle.  It was obvious that the letters had to go on the front, I'm not sure why he thought the show would have asked him to spell "Race" backwards.  At least they still finished first.  I wonder if this will come back to bite them, I think he said he could use the pass for two more legs, so I hope they don't need it next week.

The gold suits were just embarrassing.  Not sure why the show would do this to them... it was like they asked everyone their size, and then went two sizes smaller.

Cole sucks.  Sheri tries, so I like her.  But Cole just sucks.  I think I heard him crying in the shark tank.  I hate the fact that he's been saved twice, once with absolutely no penalty.

It was hard to watch Dana this leg, but I admire Matt for keeping cool.

• Love 2

I hope that having burned the Express Pass will have a negative effect on Kurt and Brodie in the next leg. When Brodie was struggling with the puzzle I noticed that he was trying to get the letters set on the back but it didn't occur to me until the other teams were discussing it and Burnie confirmed it that he might have had an easier time of it if he had been doing the front. I will be pleased for Burnie and Ashley if they get a first.

I have a hard time telling the difference between Zach/Rachel and Matt/Dana . . . I think I need to start assuming that if I see a dark-haired female and I am not sure whether it is Rachel or Dana, it must be Rachel, and for a dark-haired male in a couple if I am not sure it is Zack it is probably Matt.

I enjoyed the tasks, although it seemed to me that the camel biking was too easy.  If they lost, they got a huge head start, and none of the teams had any issues with beating the camels on their second try.  Even Tyler, who looked like he wasn't even attempting to go fast.

I was wondering strategically whether it would have been better not to kill themselves trying on the first round in order to be in good form to succeed on the second. Did they have to cross the finish line in order for the first attempt to be completed, or was it enough for the camels to cross?

• Love 2

I have a hard time telling the difference between Zach/Rachel and Matt/Dana . . . I think I need to start assuming that if I see a dark-haired female and I am not sure whether it is Rachel or Dana, it must be Rachel, and for a dark-haired male in a couple if I am not sure it is Zack it is probably Matt.

Zach is half-Asian and has a longer face.  Matt has lighter hair than Zach, has light blue eyes, a rounder face, and usually wears a black baseball hat.  Dana has darker hair than Rachel, it's very dark brown or perhaps dyed black.

I did notice that Rachel wore a tank top over her provided suit (you can see the gold strings underneath her blue top).  I wonder if other racers were allowed to put something on top of the provided suit, or if they just didn't think about it or didn't care.

As we saw with Mika and Canaan, they got to wear their own suits (and she had those cute little stupid inflatable water wings).  So this "humiliate them with tight suits" thing was new this time.

The gold suits were just embarrassing.  Not sure why the show would do this to them... it was like they asked everyone their size, and then went two sizes smaller.

Cole sucks.  Sheri tries, so I like her.  But Cole just sucks.  I think I heard him crying in the shark tank.  I hate the fact that he's been saved twice, once with absolutely no penalty.

Yeah, those bathings suits were ridiculous. When Dana was struggling to wrangle everything inside her top, I wondered what they'd do if they had anyone with a bigger chest. Enter Sherri! Turns out they did have bigger cup sizes available, they were just very shallow cups all around. I was surprised there wasn't a nip slip.

You though you heard Cole crying? I thought he was woo-ing. He seemed to think being underwater was cool. Not a fan of him, but didn't think that was an occasion where he sucked.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 3

I did notice that Rachel wore a tank top over her provided suit (you can see the gold strings underneath her blue top).  I wonder if other racers were allowed to put something on top of the provided suit, or if they just didn't think about it or didn't care.

I vaguely remember Zach/Rachel like either not having sex, or her being his first kiss, or something that made me think she may come from a conservative background where that bathing suit would be a no no.  She may have been thinking the minute she saw it about how she could cover it up.  As terrible as I would look in a bikini, I think it would be the last thing on my mind when I saw the awesome drop on that water slide.

From what I recall, Dana didn't give Matt a paragraph of instructions. She gave him two pieces of information. One was the exit number (66E?) and then she said once they entered the roundabout, it was the third exit. Those are two pieces of information that go together and it's not an overwhelming amount of information to get at once. Maybe I'm remembering their conversation incorrectly, but I already deleted the episode so I can't check. But what I do remember thinking when I watched it was dude, you guys are dancers. Most of the time, choreography is taught in units of eight. If you are capable of learning eight counts of choreography at a time, why can't you remember two pieces of information at the same time? I would have been chanting, "66E, third exit" to myself over and over until I did it.

I get that people have different preferences as to how they want to get directions and that can be difficult to deal with when the person giving directions has a different style than the person receiving directions. My personal preference is being told do this, then it's X distance before doing this (turn right on Main Street, stay on it for 0.2 miles, then turn left on West Street) because my biggest pet peeve is when someone only tells you the immediate next thing (turn right on Main Street) and then two seconds later they're yelling, "Wait, turn left on West! You just missed it!"

I just remember when she was giving him the instructions it was almost as soon as he had gotten on his seat belt and she gave him what I thought were wayyy too many instructions for someone driving in an area they were unfamiliar with.  And the fact that he clearly didn't get it the first time she said it should have clued her in that she wasn't helping.  Even if I'm in an area I'm kinda familiar with, I maybe want two-three steps ahead.  But now you're in an area you've never been to...in a foreign country and I think its really difficult.

Not to mention that one of the directions was in a turnabout.   hate turnabouts, and I think directions in a turnabout are particularly hard.  Perhaps its just the way my mind works, but I almost always have to do a turnabout 2-3 times because I get confused.  If she wanted to give him all the directions at once and then actually navigate as they were driving, I would have understood that.  But it really did seem more like "okay, I gave you all the directions, now you figure it out, and if you don't get it right, its not my fault, but I can sit back here and yell at you."  Which reminds me a lot of Hayley, and part of the reason I would get annoyed with her.

But, I totally understand, and agree, I hate when someone points out a turn like 3 seconds before the turn.  I have been both the victim and the perpetrator of such bad navigating.  I think my preferred style now is to give a information in advance, and then sort of navigate turn by turn, like "ok, we just turned on A street, we're going to go 2 miles and then we're gonna make a left on First Street, then a quick right onto Sesame Street"  "okay, we're turning on First Street, Sesame Street should be the first street on the right"

• Love 5

I could not help but laugh at Matt calmly leading his camels through the desert, while Dana was complaining while leading hers. I just loved his non-reaction to her complaining, especially the part where she was mad that he did not look like he was suffering in the heat even with a flannel on. He must be a pro at tuning her out. I would be if I was him. The other teams doing the same task seemed more Matt-like and less Dana-y, so it might not have been too terrible or Dana is all about the dramatics. Though when I was in Dubai I was not a fan of the heat either.

• Love 7

My favourite part of the episode was the shocked/horrified look on a racer's face when their partner disappeared down the tube. Cracked me up every time.

Poor Mika; five and a half years later she's still being given a hard time over that slide. I wonder if she or Canaan had a PTSD flashback upon viewing this ep.

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Love 1

#freematt // the Flo is strong with Dana.

This one had NEL written over it from early on -- I think I knew it was coming when the first teams were taking camels across the desert. But I was glad that self-drive (in Mitsubishi SUVs! screw you, Ford!) played its part on this leg, because I didn't quite expect it to be back.

Dubai and the Emirates are always weird, because you become aware of the gender hierarchy at work without it ever being stated -- all men around the tasks, male greeter, the only other women to be seen are tourists, and yet the women have to wear ridiculous gold bikinis that are even more dubious than the ridiculous gold shorts handed out to the men.

That said, I think it was a well-designed leg, as Dubai provides lots of opportunities for 'traditional' tasks and also ridiculous artificial ones. The camel racing side of the Detour was designed so teams were likely to fail first time round and succeed second time round, so the optimal strategy if you picked that side was to lose badly on the first running so you wouldn't exhaust yourself. The bros managed it on the first run by riding slipstream, which no other team worked out. The oasis side was probably easier if you weren't all Dana about it. On the Road Block, the shark stuff was less of a challenge than the puzzle, but TPTB were always going to go back to the Doom Slide of Mika's Doom.

We're starting to see Burnie & Ashley emerge as decent challengers to the bros, with a consistency and a no-drama approach that may serve them well in later legs.

• Love 8

Do you think Tyler is aware of the cameras on him. <sarcasm>. He so anoyyyinnnngg! He thinks he's funny.....he's not. He thinks he's being witty......he's not. He thinks Phil wants to to nose rub him.........he doesn't. I really don't want Tyler to win.

Tyler's whole message seems to be, "Look how precious I am!"

I have no patience for man-children.

• Love 13

The women team members went into the oasis camp where they got the bread and camel milk. If you mean where they got the gnome and the clue, perhaps an all women team would have had to wear a hijab to get the clue. I would hope TAR would always respect local customs.

Including local customs like genital mutilation?

I would hope that TAR would thoroughly disrespect local customs when they are sexist and bigoted. Unfortunately, we know that TAR tends to play along with horrible archaic notions about gender and authority.

• Love 8

Now I have to ask a strange question - have Burnie and Ashley been on the race the whole time, or were they some mid-season replacements that production sneaked in?

Because I don't remember them at all before maybe 2 episodes back. UTR isn't a strategy for this game.

You can blame the editors if Burnie and Ashley seem to be UTR.  I like that they are calm, competent racers.  No drama, no hysterics.  Get the job done kind of racers.

I actually don't mind Brodie or Tyler either.  As loud as they are and as much as they love the camera they also seem to be having the time of their life.  I can't help but enjoy watching people having fun.  It's funny, on the first episode I couldn't find anyone I really liked.  I thought they were all a bunch of fame whores who spent too much time in character and weren't taking the race seriously.  Now, other than Dana I think they are all ok... But I still have no interest in watching their YouTube shows.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 11

No U-Turns or W-Turns this season? Or did they have them but everyone is so nice to each other that not one used them so they didn't bother showing it?

I don't think Matt wasn't listening, I think Matt wasn't understanding. I am pretty good at directions and navigating, but I didn't understand her the first time she said it - it was like she was saying to turn onto the same street twice. I wish we knew more about where she got the directions from and what it looked like - was it a paragraph with no commas or was she just reading a list?  He is busy dealing with traffic she should be trying to interpret the directions.  

I couldn't help thinking about Dana watching this episode - hopefully alone on her couch or during a visit with a therapist (Free Matt!).  I wonder if, as she watched, she was thinking "Wow, I was way over the line" or "See, this was all his fault." 

I found the puzzle intriguing - how did it work?  Once a piece was in the right place it seemed to stay their, no matter how much they were moving the container around to get the other pieces in.  There seemed to be indentation for the letters to sit in, but, with the way some of them were shaking the thing, it seems that they should have come lose.  I was thinking that there might be magnets to help hold them, but I didn't see anyone get a letter stuck in the wrong place.  

What was the point of making them wear the gold bathing suits? I never understand when stuff like this happens, & do the women get a heads up that they're going to be in a bathing suit so that they can shave anything that needs it?

When I saw the guys in their suits I thought they had to wear them so that everything would stay in place and out of view was they went down the side - just imagine what could happen if they wore the typical knee-length loose shorts. But then the women came out in their gold bikinis instead of one-piece suits and that was the end of that theory. 

I knew Dana was going to have a meltdown at some point, it was a question of when. It's sad that Sheri had to drive and try to navigate at the same time, which was supposed to be Cole's job. He seems useless most of the time. Sheri is definitely the brains of that outfit. Glad they weren't eliminated, though.

Her calling him "baby" all the time doesn't help me find him less useless.  I don't mind "baby" as a term of endearment, and she did give birth to him, but it bugs me in their case because he seems about as much help as a baby on this race.  

• Love 3

I would not be able to race with Dana.  I think Matt would be ok though.  Whenever I navigate, (or drive)  I always go over the directions before I get in the car.  I find it hard to do it while the car is moving and there is so much to pay attention to.  Then I re-read them as we are going.  Complete read through before getting in the car, then step by step while driving is the way to go.  One thing I always do if a map is available, is find the three streets before the street I need, so that when I see one of them, I know that we need to turn soon.  Even if I'm driving, I always read over the directions myself.  I just hate not knowing what is going on.  This wouldn't be too much of  a problem for me and my husband, as we generally work well together with the navigating and driving.  We always seem to get where we're going, with plenty of time to spare.

Edited by muffkins
  • Love 7

No U-Turns or W-Turns this season?

Huh.  Now that you mention it...seeing the Express Pass is gone, the Bros (I still don't know their names) need to pray there isn't one on the next leg.

• Love 1

Tyler's whole message seems to be, "Look how precious I am!"

I have no patience for man-children.

Yes, exactly. The giggling/yukking after everything he says is maddening.

Cole is useless and I had no idea who Dana was until this episode. I now wish I could go back to that happy, Dana-less place.

Edited by TaraS1
  • Love 5

I cringed when the couple kissed on he mat as personal displays of affection in public are a strict No No in muslim countries - although since the TV crews are there with them, there was probably a little leeway.

Dana was a right b**ch to her guy - i think he shold dump her fast if that is her real personality !

What was the point of making them wear the gold bathing suits? I never understand when stuff like this happens, & do the women get a heads up that they're going to be in a bathing suit so that they can shave anything that needs it? 

It was a Bond reference - a bit of Thunderball with the white bikini and belt and Goldfinger, i think, with the sharks.

It was a Bond reference - a bit of Thunderball with the white bikini and belt and Goldfinger, i think, with the sharks.

Until I read your post, I never even thought of Bond, so if that's really what it is, then it was really stupid because that is one hell of an obscure reference.

I wonder if Matt is so used to Dana going off on screaming rants, that he just tunes her out.

I was wondering if she is so used to him not listening that she just screams to begin with.

Although I did not think she was screaming when she first gave him the directions, even though it was apparently not the first time she said them. He asked if she said turn right, and she said something like, "No, I said turn a slight left on (some road) and then in the roundabout, take the thhird right." And then he said, "Which way do I go?" (Or something like that.) I would have told him to get out and let me drive, except that he probably can't navigate either. I did wonder why he didn't ask if she wanted to drive when she was mad at him for not listening.

I also wondered if the men told him the same directions Dana did, if he would listen to them.

• Love 4

Rachel had her t-shirt / top on throughout the Atlantis tasks, not just at the slide.

Good for her.  It's difficult to find a two piece swimsuit that fits correctly and won't accidentally expose your boobs.  Those suits were pretty horrendous.  I imagine she just insisted on wearing a shirt, and what is the production team going to do about it? 

I would not be able to race with Dana.  I think Matt would be ok though.  Whenever I navigate, (or drive)  I always go over the directions before I get in the car.  I find it hard to do it while the car is moving and there is so much to pay attention to.  Then I re-read them as we are going.  Complete read through before getting in the car, then step by step while driving is the way to go.  One thing I always do if a map is available, is find the three streets before the street I need, so that when I see one of them, I know that we need to turn soon.  Even if I'm driving, I always read over the directions myself.  I just hate not knowing what is going on.  This wouldn't be too much of  a problem for me and my husband, as we generally work well together with the navigating and driving.  We always seem to get where we're going, with plenty of time to spare.

Yes, the issue is Dana was looking at the instructions, and reading them.  Matt was looking at the road.   There was a lack of connection between the written directions and what he was seeing.  She reads aloud, he's asking "Do I turn HERE?"  and she re-reads the direction, accuses him of not listening.  

I have a son who never looks where any place is before getting in his car.  he tells his phone the destination, and follows the "turn here"  directions.    I like to have a visual representation ahead of time, so I can have a picture in my head of where the place is. THEN I can follow the step-by-step directions. I'm sure Matt is used to following a voice telling him "Turn HERE", and that's what he needed from Dana.  Navigating is more than just reading the directions.

And there's a difference between a computer voice saying "turn left in 100 feet."  and Dana saying what STREET to turn on.  If you don't know where you are, someone yelling the directions to you doesn't help.

I still want to know about the device she was using to navigate.

• Love 4