Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Director John Korty who won an Emmy for The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman and Oscar for the documentary Who Are the DeBolts? and Where Did They Get Nineteen Kids? has died, age 85.

I remember both films!  I saw TAOMJP several years after it originally aired (it was airing on a local superstation) and found it interesting but was disappointed it wasn't about a real person. 

The DeBolt's documentary I also remember - mostly because of the promos for it (aired on ABC and was narrated by Henry "The Fonz" Winkler in 1978) and I think the family was also profiled on Real People.  I remember thinking how crazy the family was to adopt so many kids (hey I was a selfish, clueless kid back then!) but today I think of how loving and generous they were to open their home to so many kids in need.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, magicdog said:

I remember both films!  I saw TAOMJP several years after it originally aired (it was airing on a local superstation) and found it interesting but was disappointed it wasn't about a real person. 

The DeBolt's documentary I also remember - mostly because of the promos for it (aired on ABC and was narrated by Henry "The Fonz" Winkler in 1978) and I think the family was also profiled on Real People.  I remember thinking how crazy the family was to adopt so many kids (hey I was a selfish, clueless kid back then!) but today I think of how loving and generous they were to open their home to so many kids in need.  

I missed the documentary but read the book. I often wonder how the kids ( now adults) are doing. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I missed the documentary but read the book. I often wonder how the kids ( now adults) are doing. 

I checked one of the obits about their adoptive mother.  Two children, J.R. and Twe, died as adults.  It seems the rest of the kids are alive and well.

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

IIRC, there was a follow up film done a number of years later called Stepping Out: The DeBolts Grow Up

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, dalek said:

British actor Peter Bowles has died.  I remember him best from To the Manor Born.  My mom loved that show.

For a long time it seemed like almost every British sitcom on PBS had either him or Geoffrey Palmer, or Paul Eddington.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, BetterButter said:

And among the many things GIFs have given us, he shared the final word about how to say it.  Thank you Mr. Wilhite.

While there have been long-standing debates about the correct pronunciation of the image format, Wilhite was very clear on how he intended for it to be said. In 2013, he told The New York Times, “The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations. They are wrong. It is a soft ‘G,’ pronounced ‘jif.’ End of story.”

• Love 11
1 hour ago, cynicat said:

And among the many things GIFs have given us, he shared the final word about how to say it.  Thank you Mr. Wilhite.

"They are wrong. It is a soft ‘G,’ pronounced ‘jif.’ End of story.”

Mr. Wilhite should have added, 'Choosy mothers choose GIF!'

• LOL 12
On 3/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, dalek said:

British actor Peter Bowles has died.  I remember him best from To the Manor Born.  My mom loved that show.

I loved him in that!  He and Penelope Keith were awesome together.

• Love 4

Finally found a video!

The BAFTA Awards 2022 In Memoriam*

*Before anyone asks, according to BAFTA actors known for television work such as Betty White will honored during their upcoming television award ceremony.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Finally found a video!

The BAFTA Awards 2022 In Memoriam*

*Before anyone asks, according to BAFTA actors known for television work such as Betty White will honored during their upcoming television award ceremony.

Wonderful. But WHAT? what? Dilip Kumar is gone?! How'd I miss that? Happy to see Lata featured. But Dilip is gone???!😪😭

ETA: Okay, he was 98. He lived a long and rich life. A wonderful actor. And he and my numero uno, Amitabh also played Father and Son in Shakti.

But FUCK CANCER!!!🤬

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

Ernest J. Gaines, author of The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman has died at 86.

It told the story of a black woman born as a slave who lives long enough to witness the civil rights era. It was later adapted for a television movie in 1974 starring Cicely Tyson and won nine Emmy Awards....

Another novel, A Gathering of Old Men, a tale of a group of aging black men sharing stories about their lives in rural and segregated Louisiana, published in 1983, was made into a movie in 1987.

Gaines won the National Book Critics Circle Award in 1993 for his novel A Lesson Before Dying, a story about a young Southern black man waiting to be executed for a crime he did not commit. It later became a best-seller....

Gaines was honored with numerous other awards including a Guggenheim Fellowship and grants from the National Endowment for the Arts. He was named a MacArthur Fellow — the coveted "genius grant"-- in 1993. President Bill Clinton awarded Gaines the National Humanities Medal in 2000. In 2013, President Barack Obama awarded him the National Medal of Arts.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Actually said, "...what?" at that news.

Holy shit. 

My "what" was followed by "that can't be right"... because it can't be... dammit.

35 minutes ago, kittykat said:

The Foo Fighters just posted on their Facebook that Taylor Hawkins has died! 😢

That's really sad. I just finished Dave's book a few weeks ago and they were such close friends. 

Plus part of reason Dave started the Foo's was to help him deal with Kurt's untimely death.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

I didn't recognize Hawkins by name, but his picture looked familiar, and reading an obituary I realized why -- I met him backstage after an Alanis Morisette show in the mid-90s (when he was the drummer in her backing band; I worked for the record label that had signed her).  We didn't talk much more than "hi" and "good show", but, damn - 50 years old?!  That's a shame.

• Love 17

I posted in the music thread, that I always remember David Letterman saying "How good of a drummer must you be, to be the drummer in a band that includes Dave Grohl?"

This is so sad. He was much too young and seemed to be such a sweet and joyful guy.

I have tickets to see the Foo Fighters in August. I'm sure they'll cancel - I'm just a fan and can't think of the Foos without him. I can't imagine what they're feeling. Heartbreaking.

• Love 16
18 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I posted in the music thread, that I always remember David Letterman saying "How good of a drummer must you be, to be the drummer in a band that includes Dave Grohl?"

Especially when if you are not as good as Dave, he might just redo the drum tracks on the album and then you end up quitting. So you better be damn good.

I saw the Foo's in 2018. The one song that they played that I still remember is Taylor singing Under Pressure and doing both parts and making them sound different. He also taught the audience and the "de day da" and other scat parts before he started so they could sing along.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 18

This one guts me.  I've seen the Foos at least 5 times and Taylor is just a delight on stage.  

26 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I have tickets to see the Foo Fighters in August. I'm sure they'll cancel - I'm just a fan and can't think of the Foos without him. I can't imagine what they're feeling. Heartbreaking.

I'm sorry.  Not sure will happen.  Dave doesn't like cancelling shows even when he broke his leg the shows went on.  But...this is different.

• Love 4

The news about Taylor Hawkins blindsided me. I'm turning 50 myself later this year, and it really just sort of gave me pause, how life changes in a heartbeat. I can only imagine just how devastating a loss this is to the Foo Fighters - and Dave Grohl, specifically. This post encapsulates it all:

Taylor was not only a great drummer, but he could sing. Here's a snippet of his covering Queen's "Someone To Love" from last summer, per the tweet. Dave is on drums:

This one stings. Bad. RIP, Taylor Hawkins.

• Love 21

Scoey Mitchell, trailblazing Black comedian and Barefoot in the Park star, dies at 92.

Born on March 12, 1930, in Newburgh, New York, Roscoe Mitchell Jr. (who also went by the last name of Mitchlll) began his career as a nightclub comedian before turning his sights to TV. He landed appearances on shows including The Ed Sullivan Show, The Tonight Show, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, and What's It All About, World? before going on to star on ABC's 1970 TV adaptation of Barefoot in the Park, one of the first American sitcoms to feature a predominantly Black cast. It was short-lived — only airing for 12 episodes before it was canceled — but it was groundbreaking nonetheless.

Mitchell also hosted his own variety special, The Scoey Mitchlll Show, in 1972. His other credits include Rhoda, Police Story, Lou Grant, Taxi, Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling, The Joey Bishop Show, The Carol Burnett Show, The Mothers-In-Law, Here Come the Brides, and That Girl. He was also a frequent and beloved guest on game shows including The Hollywood Squares, Match Game, Tattletales, Password Plus and Super Password.

In addition to having been an outstanding performer for the Foo Fighters, Mr. Hawkins had been married to his wife Allison since 2005 and they had a son and daughter who are now in their teens so what a terrible blow to this family. It seems this was a rather sudden demise right before he and the iconic band were set to perform in Bogota, Columbia. He had just turned 50 but even so,IMO he still looked about 15 years younger and was surprisingly handsome in a surfer-type deal.  I feel so sorry for his loved ones, his bandmates, colleagues- and his many fans. Whatever caused his demise, it seems a rather tragic end. Thanks for having been a positive light to your loved ones and compatriots in a rather chaotic and fickle environment, Mr Hawkins and RIP.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I don't even. So many of my Gen X people gone already. I'm actually listening to Chris Cornell right now, I'm still not over his death.

RIP Mr. Hawkins. A very talented man.

Especially all the Seattle based front men. I still check for news on Eddie Veddar and Mark Arm.

Apparently the fans at the music festival in Bogota lit candles on the stage during the time they were supposed to play.  This is just so sad.

This is an excerpt from Dave Grohl's autobiography, Storyteller, and it's been retweeted today for obvious reasons:

"Tearing through the room like an F5 tornado of hyperactive joy was Taylor Hawkins, my brother from another mother, my best friend, a man for whom I would take a bullet. Upon first meeting, our bond was immediate, and we grew closer with every day, every song, every note that we played together. I am not afraid to say that our chance meeting was a kind of love at first sight, igniting a musical “twin flame” that still burns to this day. Together, we have become an unstoppable duo, onstage and off, in pursuit of any and all adventure we can find. We are absolutely meant to be, and I am grateful that we found each other in this lifetime."

It's always sad when a talented person dies young, because the talent gets cut short. But it's also sad when a person, period, dies young, because of the devastation left behind.

R.I.P. Taylor, you were one of the good ones. And condolences to Dave, the band and his family who have to pick up the pieces.

• Love 13

The jury is of course still out, and any too-young death is a tragedy, but whenever a celebrity dies young my spouse and I look at each other and ask, "Vomit, or plane crash?"