Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Leeds said:

The jury is of course still out, and any too-young death is a tragedy, but whenever a celebrity dies young my spouse and I look at each other and ask, "Vomit, or plane crash?"

Well, he apparently died in his hotel room, so it wasn't a plane crash.  From what I've heard, he complained of chest pain, the EMS was called and he suffered a cardiac arrest and couldn't be revived.  The police indicate they are suspecting an OD.  A reporter in Columbia wrote that there were at least 10 different drugs including marijuana, cocaine and heroin in his room.

“According to those close to him, the death could be related to the consumption of drugs,” the Metropolitan Police of Bogota told El Tiempo hours after the drummer’s body was found

Hawkins apparently has a history of heroin use.  He OD'd about 20 years ago and was in a coma for a week.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

A reporter in Columbia wrote that there were at least 10 different drugs including marijuana, cocaine and heroin in his room.

Does that seem quick to have that kind of information? Not saying it is wrong but I feel like with other celebrity deaths it takes much longer to know this kind of thing. So I always assumed that these kind of tests took awhile and only on CSI can you put a few drops of blood into a machine and get results 30 seconds later.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Does that seem quick to have that kind of information? Not saying it is wrong but I feel like with other celebrity deaths it takes much longer to know this kind of thing. So I always assumed that these kind of tests took awhile and only on CSI can you put a few drops of blood into a machine and get results 30 seconds later.

Honestly, I was kind of wondering the same thing about the articles I found on the toxicology screening. It says preliminary, but I really don't know the logistics of how that works. 

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Well, he apparently died in his hotel room, so it wasn't a plane crash.  From what I've heard, he complained of chest pain, the EMS was called and he suffered a cardiac arrest and couldn't be revived.  The police indicate they are suspecting an OD.  A reporter in Columbia wrote that there were at least 10 different drugs including marijuana, cocaine and heroin in his room.

Hawkins apparently has a history of heroin use.  He OD'd about 20 years ago and was in a coma for a week.

Looks like vomit then.  ☹️

7 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Remember, he died in Columbia, not the US.  I expect that the rules governing the police and dissemination of information are not so strict there and that reporters don't necessarily verify their information before publishing.

Preliminary toxicology on blood samples can be done pretty quickly, in an hour or two.  However, in the case of a death, tissue samples are also obtained and the blood results are verified and that takes weeks.  They could've drawn blood at the scene and tested it.  Here in the US, those results would not be released to the public, though.  They would wait for an autopsy and confirmation of the testing which takes weeks or even months.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 8
  • Love 4
Just now, Rootbeer said:

Remember, he died in Columbia, not the US.  I expect that the rules governing the police and dissemination of information are not so strict there and that reporters don't necessarily verify their information before publishing.

Preliminary toxicology on blood samples can be done pretty quickly, in an hour or two.  However, in the case of a death, tissue samples are also obtained and the blood results are verified and that takes weeks.  They could've drawn blood at the scene and tested it.  Here in the US, those results would not be released to the public, though.

That makes sense--thank you!

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Preliminary toxicology on blood samples can be done pretty quickly, in an hour or two.  However, in the case of a death, tissue samples are also obtained and the blood results are verified and that takes weeks.  They could've drawn blood at the scene and tested it.  Here in the US, those results would not be released to the public, though.  They would wait for an autopsy and confirmation of the testing which takes weeks or even months.

That's pretty interesting, because I was thinking of other high profile drug related deaths (Prince, Heath Ledger, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson) and I could be wrong but I don't think in any of those cases the public had anything close to this kind of information basically a day later.

• Useful 4
35 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That's pretty interesting, because I was thinking of other high profile drug related deaths (Prince, Heath Ledger, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson) and I could be wrong but I don't think in any of those cases the public had anything close to this kind of information basically a day later.

I think that the difference is that they all died in the US where the police don't release all the information the moment they uncover it.   They stay mum on the cause of death until the coroner has performed an autopsy, all of the tissue samples have been evaluated and all test results are returned. Then the coroner issues a formal report and the police don't have anything to do with it unless there is a criminal investigation.  Columbia seems to not have such rules.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Another thing is when there's a death police collect the pill bottles in the room and that sort of thing is leaked quickly. It also helps the toxicology examiners to know what to look for.

It also appears he wasn't alone when he died,  Someone told 911 that he was having chest pain, so he was still alive when they called.  If he was with friends, one would hope that they would've been completely honest with the EMT's and told them what they knew about his drug use when they arrived so they could administer Narcan, etc.  Or, if he was still conscious, that he would've told them himself.  An eyewitness account of drug use given to the police is more credible than just finding the drugs in the room.

• Love 6

I never got into the Foo Fighters, despite my best intentions to support Dave Grohl. Reading and listening to interviews with and about Taylor Hawkins, he seemed like a wonderful guy and exceptional drummer. So I'm sad for the loss his family, bandmates, and fans have suffered, especially at such a young age.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Another great talent lost to drugs. So damn frustrating. 

THIS!!

I wasn't more than a casual fan of the group and barely knew of Mr. Hawkins before his demise.

However, even though drug use is hardly unknown in entertainment circles, his death shocked me! I mean, as I said in the previous post, he not only looked at least 15 years younger than his chronological age of 50 with a fresh face, toned limbs and torso,etc. but he seemed to radiate vitality and positiveness! He seemed to be as far from being an archetypical druggie rocker ( with pasty, blemished complexions,spindly &toneless limbs&torsos, addled speech and appearing at least ten years more than their age) as could be! AND he seemed to be someone who loved and valued his family, colleagues and performing! 

Added to all the above, he actually had survived having previously OD'd on heroin and emerged from a resulting two-week coma in 2001 (at age 29) and he said that it was a major turning point for him.  

So WHY did he risk destroying himself by the evidently partaking in a cocktail of drugs which not only risked his health and, it seems, ended his life but also risked him having major prison time in a foreign country?!

I'm sure Mrs. Hawkins and Mr. Grohl will be asking themselves all the above the rest of their lives  AND likely torment themselves with endless 'if ONLYs'. However, I hope and pray that (regardless of the ultimate findings) that this tragedy WILL be a wake up call for at least one of his fans who somehow believe that they can indulge in these substances and won't have any more consequences than getting temporarily wasted then hung over. More importantly, I hope that his teen and preteen offspring will do all they can to avoid EVER getting anywhere NEAR these substances  even if it means they may never have 'just a beer/joint'!

Edited by Blergh
10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

So WHY did he risk destroying himself by the evidently partaking in a cocktail of drugs which not only risked his health and, it seems, ended his life but also risked him having major prison time in a foreign country?!

This is what I was wondering about as well.  A quick google indicated that possession of small amounts of some drugs are legal but at some point consequences for possession can be pretty severe.  

Edited by SusannahM

Foo Fighters are my favorite currently active band. I do understand the curiosity to know how and why Taylor died. It is normal to a degree. I will say that I am not going to judge him or anyone (famous or not) for their choices regarding self-abuse. I have no idea what their demons were/are. They still did/do not deserve death. This is not shade to anyone. I just wanted to state that I personally find it sad no matter how or why he died. 

• Love 22

"The report showed he had at least 10 different psychoactive substances in his body including "THX (Marijuana), tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and opioids, among others," the Attorney General’s Office in Colombia said in the document shared on Twitter. "

Shared on Twitter.  So there you go.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

"The report showed he had at least 10 different psychoactive substances in his body including "THX (Marijuana), tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and opioids, among others," the Attorney General’s Office in Colombia said in the document shared on Twitter. "

Shared on Twitter.  So there you go.

Googling "Attorney General’s Office in Colombia" seems to indicate likely corruption. There are many things that could be responsible for the death of a beloved and famous entertainer that they might wish to cover up; perhaps the Attorney General’s Office in Colombia is in the habit of putting out post-death news briefs that list any and all possible drugs?

Whenever I read of the death of someone famous I want to know the why and how, but in the end they are gone regardless.

And regardless of exact cause(s), the death of Taylor Hawkins at just 50 is an unexpected loss to many that will take time to get over. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

However, even though drug use is hardly unknown in entertainment circles, his death shocked me! I mean, as I said in the previous post, he not only looked at least 15 years younger than his chronological age of 50 with a fresh face, toned limbs and torso,etc. but he seemed to radiate vitality and positiveness! He seemed to be as far from being an archetypical druggie rocker ( with pasty, blemished complexions,spindly &toneless limbs&torsos, addled speech and appearing at least ten years more than their age) as could be! AND he seemed to be someone who loved and valued his family, colleagues and performing! 

Added to all the above, he actually had survived having previously OD'd on heroin and emerged from a resulting two-week coma in 2001 (at age 29) and he said that it was a major turning point for him.  

I'm sure Mrs. Hawkins and Mr. Grohl will be asking themselves all the above the rest of their lives  AND likely torment themselves with endless 'if ONLYs'. However, I hope and pray that (regardless of the ultimate findings) that this tragedy WILL be a wake up call for at least one of his fans who somehow believe that they can indulge in these substances and won't have any more consequences than getting temporarily wasted then hung over. More importantly, I hope that his teen and preteen offspring will do all they can to avoid EVER getting anywhere NEAR these substances  even if it means they may never have 'just a beer/joint'!

Addicts are addicts for life.  Drugs, alcohol, gambling, shopping, eating; I could go on.  You may get sober and stay sober for the rest of your life, but you may also stay sober for a day, a year, or twenty years and relapse.  For no rhyme or reason, all the while telling yourself you're being stupid, dismissing thoughts of kids, family, or future, thinking "it'll be just this once", or not thinking at all.  It happens, that's addiction.  It's a disease - treatable, but not curable.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
40 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Addicts are addicts for life.  Drugs, alcohol, gambling, shopping, eating; I could go on.  You may get sober and stay sober for the rest of your life, but you may also stay sober for a day, a year, or twenty years and relapse.  For no rhyme or reason, all the while telling yourself you're being stupid, dismissing thoughts of kids, family, or future, thinking "it'll be just this once", or not thinking at all.  It happens, that's addiction.  It's a disease - treatable, but not curable.

ITA. A perfect example of this is Philip Seymour Hoffman who remained sober for something like 25 years before relapsing and eventually dying of an overdose. Same with Cory Monteith.

Cory Monteith too had OD'ed at 14, went code blue, according to his mother, before turning things around, pursuing an acting career and landing Glee.  All for it to end with his OD'ing in a hotel room.

I think one of the saddest things I saw was when his mother, on GMA I think, said she'd always feared him dying alone in the streets somewhere, back when he was younger and on the streets in the throes of his addiction. Only for him to still die alone, just not on the streets but in a fancy hotel room. 

• Love 3

Amy didn't actually overdose on drugs. She died from alcohol poisoning, though it was after a period of abstinence. Her brother also thinks her severe eating disorder weakened her system and contributed to her death. 

Updated: I don't know why, but the Academy has two versions of the 2022 In Memoriam. One that was shown live on the broadcast. The second on the Academy website with the footage prior to editing in sound/performers. I have posted both here.  

The Academy Awards 2022 In Memoriam (ABC broadcast)

The 94th Oscars In Memoriam 2022 (Academy website/silent)

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

The Academy Awards 2022 In Memoriam

I didn’t care for the more upbeat aspects, but I understand that some cultures honor loss that way.  I guess to me, it just didn’t seem appropriate for the Oscars.

And despite the controversy/investigation, Alec Baldwin’s antics and her short career, I’m glad they included Halyna Hutchins.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Director Marvin J. Chomsky who won Emmy awards for Holocaust, Attica, Inside the Third Reich, and Peter the Great and nominated for Roots has died, age 92.

https://deadline.com/2022/03/marvin-j-chomsky-dead-star-trek-director-roots-gunsmoke-director-1234990492/

https://www.thewrap.com/marvin-chomsky-dies-roots-attica-star-trek-92/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marvin-j-chomsky-star-trek-roots-director-1235122109/

Edited by MissAlmond

Character actor Paul Herman passed away, age 76.

His credits include playing Randy in David O. Russell’s dramatic Silver Linings Playbook (2012) and Whispers DiTullio in Martin Scorsese’s crime epic The Irishman (2019).

His other film credits include Once Upon a Time in America, Up Close, We Own the Night, Heatwave, Crazy Heart, Fast Change, Sleeper, Police Land, The Fan , Analyzing That, The Day-tripper and American Hustle. He also played Peter “Beansie” Gaeta on The Sopranos and accountant Marvin on HBO’s Entourage.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Oh no.  “Glad You Came” (2012) was such a bop.  The Wanted’s music was so energetic and catchy.  God, cancer sucks.  His poor wife and two very, very young children.

Cancer is horrible.  Tom was such a young man.

They were really an upbeat band. Loved this hit!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, BetterButter said:

BTW, she had a very memorable one-shot on WKRP in Cincinatti as the station manager Andy's ex who'd become a successful singer- AND this character was the inspiration for the show's opening title song that started out 'Baby, if you've ever wondered/ Wondered became became of me/ I'm living in the air in Cincinatti/ Cincinatti, WKRP. . '  RIP, Miss Youngfellow.

• Useful 7
  • Love 5

Even though all three performers depicted the Costanzas as broad and argumentative fusspots, one could sense actual love and affection from and towards Mom Estelle despite them having 'no lessons, no hugs'. Oh, and even though Estelle was an obvious contributing factor to how annoying George turned out, one couldn't help but wonder how she might have raised. Yes, Mrs. Harris gave this impossible character subtle depth! Yes, she made it just two days short of 94 but it's a bit sad to learn that her husband Si who'd been wed to her (born Estelle Nussbaum) for 67 years but had died in January,2021 s.o that likely had been a severe blow to her. RIP, Mrs. Harris.

• Love 7