Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I haven't seen much of Gottfried's comedy, and what I have wasn't particularly my thing, but I really appreciated his love of old shows and movies (he was a guest presenter on Turner Classic Movies, and apparently highlighted far more on his podcast).  Vaguely remembering he was the subject of a documentary, I found this article about it.  It made me recall, oh yeah, there was a 9/11 joke that went over like a lead balloon just weeks later, he got praise for his Aristocrats joke, there was something that made Aflac drop him as the duck's voice, and in real life he's a family man.

Apparently, his kids are young teenagers, 15 and 13; there's never a good time, but that's a really rough age to lose a parent.  My heart goes out to them (to all who loved him, of course, but they're so very vulnerable).

Now that he's died too young, I'd belatedly like to learn more about him and his work.  I just checked one article's information to confirm the documentary, Gilbert, is available to stream free several places - Roku Channel, Peacock, and Pluto - so I'll give that a look, and share the information for anyone else who is interested.

• Love 15

Count me as one who feels very sorry for Mr. Gottfried's family over having to cope with losing him even though I don't pretend that I ever was a fan of his comedy. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Ok, that's...freaky.

Gilbert and his wife were on an episode of Flea Market Flip.

Gilbert and his wife were on Celebrity Wife Swap (episode link) years ago too. I was surprised at how young his kids were. They seemed like good grounded kids who loved and cared for him a lot at the time. It was weird first seeing him not acting like some of the annoying at times characters he'd play.

He and Alan Thicke switched wives on the show. Gilbert had OCD and was known to be a cheapskate so those things and not living as comfortably as she was accustomed drove Alan's wife a bit batty at times. It was one of the episodes I remember a bit more because of how much it humanized someone I had seen as such a character for most of my life starting with USA's Up All Night. Richard Belzer also popped up during the Wife Swap episode too since Gilbert and his family lived in New York at the time.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

This post from Kathy Griffin's Instagram feed is a concise reminder of just how savage the first 4 months of 2022 has been for the comedy community... 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😭

KG RIP Trio2.jpg

What is freaky to me is that they are standing in the order that they all died. Bob first, then Louie, and then Gilbert.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, AgentRXS said:

What is freaky to me is that they are standing in the order that they all died. Bob first, then Louie, and then Gilbert.

Freaky indeed! It reminded me of this picture of the Golden Girls. (The article was written before Betty White's death.)

• Love 1

12 year old me in 1990 stumbling on and watching for the first time this new show about a stand up comedian named Jerry living in New York and seeing who played his mom: "Hey it's the nosy neighbor from ALF!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Liz also rather famously was James Dean's girlfriend/lover back when they were both struggling actors in NYC.  She talked about him quite often.

I wonder if she ever got together and traded notes with the late Eartha Kitt who had been at least friends with him back then? Also, if he'd lived longer, would they have gotten married- and would it have lasted or would she have become known as the EX-Mrs. Dean? So many hyptheticals. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I wonder if she ever got together and traded notes with the late Eartha Kitt who had been at least friends with him back then? Also, if he'd lived longer, would they have gotten married- and would it have lasted or would she have become known as the EX-Mrs. Dean? So many hyptheticals. 

I believe the romance ended because he relocated from NYC to LA to do films.  They met as young theater actors in NYC.  So, they weren't a couple anymore by the time he died.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The fame factor grabs more attention. More well known.

I guess because I'm older, I regard Taylor Hackford as being a well-known director.   I know Hellen Mirren is the stepmom, but I still think the father should have been mentioned.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 5
On 4/15/2022 at 2:11 PM, BetterButter said:

"Sheridan was the last surviving “parent” from Seinfeld. Estelle Harris, who played George Costanza’s mother Estelle, died just last week, and Jerry Stiller, who played Frank Costanza, died in 2020. Barney Martin, who played Sheridan’s onscreen husband Morty Seinfeld, died in 2005."

I know he only appeared once, but Lawrence Tierney who played Elaine's dad Alton Benes died in 2002.

I remember reading about Ms. Sheridan's relationship with James Dean when reading some background about him a few months ago.  What an interesting pairing!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I was fortunate to see Robert Morse in "Tru." I was too young for the original Broadway run of "How to Succeed..." but I do remember seeing the movie at Radio City Music Hall. And Bert Cooper was the perfect capstone role. I loved that final "Best Things in Life" soft shoe, even if it was contrary to Bert's Ayn Rand-type philosophy. 

• Love 12

A long time ago on TV I saw Guide to the Married Man(1967)where Robert Morse plays Walter Matthau's best friend telling him the vignettes that make up the movie. One thing I learned from that movie is in the Sixties while  girls under 30 were looking hot in the miniskirts and gogo boots, the women over 30 werent that bad either! 

Edited by Fool to cry
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

Gerda Weissmann Klein, Holocaust Survivor and author, has died at 97. A documentary of her life, One Survivor Remembers, won both an Oscar and an Emmy in 1995, and she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011.

Antholis brought Weissmann Klein up on stage to accept with him. The soft-spoken survivor almost didn’t get a chance to speak as, after the director said his “thanks,” the orchestra seemed to begin playing them off. But Weissmann Klein stepped to the mic, and a hush fell over the room. Her short speech is regarded by many as one of the most memorable ever given at the Academy Awards.

Here it is, in its entirety:

I have been in a place for six incredible years where winning meant a crust of bread and to live another day. Since the blessed day of my liberation I have asked the question, “Why am I here?”

I am no better. In my mind’s eye I see those years and days and those who never lived to see the magic of a boring evening at home.

On their behalf I wish to thank you for honoring their memory, and you cannot do it in any better way than when you return to your homes tonight to realize that each of you who know the joy of freedom are winners.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Gerda Weissmann Klein, Holocaust Survivor and author, has died at 97. A documentary of her life, One Survivor Remembers, won both an Oscar and an Emmy in 1995, and she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011.

What a blessing her words were. I hope the world does not forget what she and so many others suffered. My late husband was a Hungarian refugee in WW2 he watched many loaded into the  trains, he knew what was going on but to survive,  you go along to survive. Most of his family didn't sadly. His stories make my heart ache,  I just hope that they stay in history and are not denied.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was wrong. This is my favorite.  

After all these years, Earth, Wind & Fire's music still got it going on. R.I.P. Andrew Woolfolk. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 14

Klaus Schulze died, age 74. A major, major innovator in music - one of the first to develop what is now "electronic or techno music" and was a founding member of Tangerine Dream and Ash Ra Tempel before embarking on a very successful solo career.  I spent a lot of time in the 1970s and 1980s listening to his music. Thanks, Klaus!

RIP, Neal Adams. A truly talented artist and so very influential as well.

He was also a creators-rights advocate; thanks to his efforts, Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were able to finally secure a pension, credit, and financial payback from DC Comics. He also set a precedent of winning the battle of having comic book companies return the original artwork to the artist.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 13

After reading how dedicated Judd was to combating the stigma and resulting sense of shame associated with having a mental illness, and how she'd never out anyone but always hoped they'd publicly state "I have depression", etc., I'm even more touched by the wording of the daughters' statement -- one final tribute, to a woman who understood the power and importance of saying "I'm Naomi Judd and I have depression and bipolar disorder, which are diseases of the brain", for them to state her cause of death as "the disease of mental illness".

This is such a sad loss.  Depression almost took her life once before, in 2010.  This 2018 interview gives an overview of her family and personal medical history and her subsequent advocacy.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11

This is truly shocking.  I’ve been a fan of the Judds’ music since day one.  Naomi was a very articulate, beautiful and gifted lady.  She was a former nurse and the rock of that family.  I’m very sad for them all.  I can’t imagine what they are going through.  This is my favorite song by the Judds. RIP Naomi.

• Love 11

While I'm not going to pretend that the late Miss Judd was a pure saint (even at this time), I DID admire her hard work and tenacity in pursuing what seemed a rather daunting pipe dream for herself and her elder daughter due to her faith in their raw talents (albeit not without consequences for all three of them).  And, regardless of what may have happened, I hope that somehow she's found peace in the next world and that her daughters, husband, grandchildren and the rest of her loved ones will one day be able to  take strength from the positive things she DID achieve in her time despite incredible external and internal obstacles! Please RIP, Miss Judd! 

• Love 7