Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, wilsie said:

@MissAlmondThank you for giving so many choices and always at least one without a paywall.

Why thank you and you're welcome! I include multiple links since various articles can contain different and/or additional information on the deceased.  Robert Katz is one such example. Many of the industry sites state he died at age 79, but his widow told The Wrap he was 81.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Mary Mara who played Loretta Sweet in ER and Inspector Byrn Carson in Nash Bridges has died in an apparent drowning, age 61.

I've seen her in a few other one-off roles (and the West Wing forum reminds me entertainment reporter Sherri Wexler who received an infamous humiliation from C.J. is one of them, which I had totally forgotten), but I associate her with recurring ER role, because she was memorable.  There's a scene in which Loretta learns she has cervical cancer, and the doctor assures her the five-year survival rate is good.  She looks out through the door at her kids and softly says, "Five years.  My kids won't even be teenagers."  It's so perfectly delivered, that feeling of okay, I'll likely still be here in five years, but how long after? when doctors talk like that it's still in my brain over 25 years later.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Cause of death of Depeche Mode’s Andrew Fletcher revealed.

Keyboardist who died aged 60 in May suffered aortic dissection, with band saying ‘he passed naturally and without prolonged suffering’.

A had a boyfriend die from aortic dissection 6 years ago. He was only 44. It happens so quickly and the symptoms are so vague before it happens that it’s hard to prevent. John Ritter and Alan Thicke also died of it.

• Sad 20
On 6/28/2022 at 2:42 PM, Cinnabon said:

A had a boyfriend die from aortic dissection 6 years ago. He was only 44. It happens so quickly and the symptoms are so vague before it happens that it’s hard to prevent. John Ritter and Alan Thicke also died of it.

My father, a recovering alcoholic, had one.  Even tho his body age was approx 20 yrs older than his actual age (due to his long alcoholism), he actually survived to make it to surgery.  The doctors told us that usually only 10-15% survive surgery, and of those 1-3% survive 24 hours.  My dad made it to the second day, before his body gave out.

That’s how fast & deadly these are.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 15
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

My father, a recovering alcoholic, had one.  Even tho his body age was approx 20 yrs older than his actual age (due to his long alcoholism), he actually survived to make it to surgery.  The doctors told us that usually only 10-15% survive surgery, and of those 1-3% survive 24 hours.  My dad made it to the second day, before his body gave out.

That’s how fast & deadly these are.

So sorry.

Peter Brook, British Theater and Film Director, Dies at 97 (THR)

The two-time Tony Award winner, who had settled in France decades ago, directed the film adaptations of his best stage works as well as the 1963 movie Lord of the Flies.

Born in London in 1925, Brook would go on to study at Oxford University and direct his first London show, Doctor Faustus, while he was still a teenager.

After serving as director of productions at the Royal Opera House, he gained further notoriety through his work with the Royal Shakespeare Company, or RSC, including Titus Andronicus, starring Laurence Olivier.

He was a Tony Award winner for best direction in 1966 for his interpretation of Peter Weiss’ Marat/Sade and in 1970 for the production of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Brook was also the recipient of an Olivier Award, an Emmy and an International Emmy during his seven-decade career.

• Sad 4
  • Love 1

Mona Hammond, ‘EastEnders’ Star, Dies at 91 .

Hammond was best known for playing “EastEnders” matriarch Blossom on the long-running British soap opera as well as co-founding the Black British theater company Talawa alongside Yvonne Brewster, Carmen Munroe and Inigo Espejel in 1986.

The actor was of Chinese and Jamaican heritage, according to the Guardian, changing her name from Mavis Chin to Mona Hammond to avoid typecasting. Hammond was born in Jamaica and moved to Britain in 1959, working in an office while attending evening acting classes. Before long, she had won a scholarship to leading British acting college RADA. She graduated in 1964 and was soon gracing the boards in theaters across the country.

She also appeared in 70 roles on screen, including in comedies “The Crouches” and “Us Girls,” as well as playing Aunty Susu in sitcom “Desmond’s,” which ran from 1989 to 1994, and soaps such as “Coronation Street,” “Holby City” and “Doctors.” In 2005 she appeared in the film “Kinky Boots” alongside Chiwetel Ejiofor, Joel Edgerton and Sarah-Jane Potts.

In 2006 she played Rita-Anne in “Doctor Who,” alongside David Tennant and Billie Piper, and two years later had a role in Roland Emmerich’s feature “10,000 BC. Her last on-screen role was in 2016, in a short called “Bucky” opposite Frances Barber.

• Sad 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Dang it, ya beat me to referencing Sonny. He won my heart the second he beat the living shit out of Carlo.

But seriously though, he’s done so many other memorable roles. Who could ever forget poor Paul Sheldon in Misery? And there was Honeymoon in Vegas, Brian’s Song, Elf, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs…RIP.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Sad 1
  • Love 19
5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Dang it, ya beat me to referencing Sonny. He won my heart the second he beat the living shut out of Carlo.

Cosign!  That scene... *chef's kiss*

The beating was just so raw.  I loved how he bit Carlo's knuckles to get him to let loose of the railing he was holding onto.  And then when the garbage can lid came out, I was gone.  Perfect ass beating scene is perfect.

• Love 12
(edited)
8 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Cosign!  That scene... *chef's kiss*

The beating was just so raw.  I loved how he bit Carlo's knuckles to get him to let loose of the railing he was holding onto.  And then when the garbage can lid came out, I was gone.  Perfect ass beating scene is perfect.

Ditto! Even if one of the punches didn't come anywhere near Carlo's face-it was and is incredibly hilarious. The biting of Carlo's hand comes right after. I wonder if budget constraints prevented them from reshooting? Because for sure they would have seen that in the daileys!

And how ironic that I got the 50th Anniversary bluray to see if it would contain the UNEDITED and TOTAL movie (the scenes where Mama Corleone asks Sonny if Vito would survive after he was shot, scenes of Kay and Michael in bed when they were in the city, shortly before they returned from the movie and read about Vito; Bonaserra whining about having to repay the favor and saying how he wished his wife had never become friends with Mama Corleone-because that asshole thought Vito was going to ask him to commit some crime,  and that USA aired many years ago in their Godfather Saga), or more interviews, behind the scenes stuff. But Nope. So of course I returned it yesterday. And had a wonderful discussion with the guys at the Amazon Hub drop off, about which was my favorite movie from the trilogy; the best characters, etc.

😭

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Sad 4
  • Love 5

Honeymoon on Vegas is so underrated, way better than it's overwrought, melodramatic counterpart Indecent Proposal that came out the same year.  Caan and Cage played so well off each other in upping the crazy ante.  

I just watched Bottle Rocket the other day and he also had a small but memorable role as Dignan's  "mentor" Mr Henry.  RIP James Caan.

• Love 8
(edited)
33 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ditto! Even if one of the punches didn't come anywhere near Carlo's face-it was and is incredibly hilarious. The biting of Carlo's hand comes right after. I wonder if budget constraints prevented them from reshooting? Because for sure they would have seen that in the daileys!

I love how when he came out of the bar, he was holding a bat, but the second Carlo was in his sight he immediately chucked it at him like “Yeah, I don’t need it, I’ll do it with my bare hands.” 

And you gotta admire how he had convinced Connie he was calm after his freak out over her black eye. Hell, if I hadn’t seen that part only a million times, would have bought it.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 9

Nooooooooooo!!

Sighs….from Brian’s Song to of course The Godfather 1&2 to my personal favorite performance, Paul Sheldon in Misery, I bet off the set Mr. Caan was a hoot and a half to hang out with.

Rest well, Big Guy.

• Love 8

I'm verklempt over Caan passing, just loved his acting so much.   A film to check him out in is Gardens Of Stone, with James Earl Jones and Angelica Huston.  It's a lovely understated film that's just wonderful to watch.  There's not a lot of actors left that can say they filmed with John Wayne...that acting generation is starting to fade away.   

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

There's not a lot of actors left that can say they filmed with John Wayne..

Oh my goodness! I'd totally forgotten I'd seen that movie-El Dorado=until I read your post above. Loved that movie. Though some of the elements were similar to Rio Bravo.

And then he had the career resurgence when he appeared on Las Vegas in the early 2000s; not to be confused with 1978-1981's Vega$

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

Alien Nation. Like him refusing to call his Alien partner SanFranciso and decided to call him George. 

I forgot about the Alien Nation movie due to having watched the TV series so much when it was shown on TV over the years. 

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh my goodness! I'd totally forgotten I'd seen that movie-El Dorado=until I read your post above. Loved that movie. Though some of the elements were similar to Rio Bravo.

Same here.  I liked it so much better than Rio Bravo, though, probably because I liked Robert Mitchum and James Caan a helluva lot better than Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.  One of DD's favorite movies, too. 

And oddly, that movie randomly popped into my head the other day and I thought, James Caan is the only member of the cast still alive.  Not now.  😿

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Nooooooooooo!!

Sighs….from Brian’s Song to of course The Godfather 1&2 to my personal favorite performance, Paul Sheldon in Misery, I bet off the set Mr. Caan was a hoot and a half to hang out with.

Rest well, Big Guy.

He was great in Misery. He captured the sheer terror of what Sheldon was going through so perfectly. 

Sad to hear this news. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9

My favorite movie of his was The Rain People - he was so good in that and it really showed his versatility as an actor.  He played a former football player who had a TBI (the movie was not about football though).  Speaking of which, I’d never seen Brian’s Song.  Might be too sad to see it now 😢 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The first time I took notice of James Caan was as Maxwell Smart's nemesis Rupert of Rathskeller in a 2-part 1969 Get Smart episode called To Sire, with Love. Although he was uncredited in that role he definitely drew my attention, and I recognized him immediately when I first saw him in his star-making roles in Brian's Song and The Godfather a few years later. So cool, so talented and so versatile - RIP Mr. Caan!

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

My favorite movie of his was The Rain People - he was so good in that and it really showed his versatility as an actor.  He played a former football player who had a TBI (the movie was not about football though).  Speaking of which, I’d never seen Brian’s Song.  Might be too sad to see it now 😢 

Brian Piccolo died from cancer not TBI.  Saw James Caan for the first time in Brian’s  Song , it’s pretty sad. 

• Sad 2
(edited)

A few industry tributes from those who worked with James Caan on Twitter:

SAG-AFTRA

The Godfather Movie (1972)

Billy Dee Williams (Brian's Song 1971)

Barbra Streisand (Funny Lady 1975)

Michael Mann (Thief 1981)

Kathy Bates (Misery 1990)

Zooey Deschanel (Elf 2003) 

Christopher Miller (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2009)

Edited by MissAlmond
added film release dates
  • Love 19
(edited)

According to the Instagram account of his son, Wilke Itzin, and the personal Twitter account of director/producer Jon Cassar, actor Gregory Itzin (IMDb profile) has passed away.  From his son's Instagram:

It is with an incredibly heavy heart to announce that my father Gregory Martin Itzin has passed on.

I am so so grateful to have been able to share these last few days with my dad in the midwest where he grew up. We were able to share some incredible moments together, fishing, bonding, watching him have the opportunity to connect with his grandson Wylder in a way we were never able to do before. He was able to spend quality time in a place he loved, with the people who loved him dearly. I was able to say good bye but was truly hoping that it wasn’t true. His sister Pam held him for his last breath and I am so thankful she was able to be there with him.

Itzin's most famous role was as (Vice) President Logan in over forty episodes of 24.  In addition to recurring roles on other TV shows before and after 24, Itzin also had numerous character parts in many classic or notable TV series, going back to 1979 and some films, including Airplane! and The Fabulous Baker Boys.

Edited by Just Here
added Instagram link and quote
  • Sad 9
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Brian Piccolo died from cancer not TBI.  Saw James Caan for the first time in Brian’s  Song , it’s pretty sad. 

She was talking about the plot of the movie The Rain People where James played a former football player too.

• Love 3
(edited)

Having watched the first few seasons of Hawaii Five-0 (because my parents lived in Hawaii for their last 30 years), co-starring James Caan’s son, Scott Caan, and having lost my own parents in recent years, I mostly just feel very sad for Scott.

It is wonderful that James Caan will live on in his great body of work and that so many people whose voices are present in today’s media are able to give tribute to their friend and fellow actor.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 1