Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I actually looked him up on Wikipedia last week and was impressed that he was still alive. 😟

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

RIP Mrs. Potato Head.

She beautifully delivered one of my favourite movie lines of all time "I'm packing your angry eyes".

• Love 14

Per Iowahawk:

RIP to Bill Fries, aka CW McCall, Iowa boy and advertising genius, who parlayed an ad campaign for a Sioux City bread company into the 1970s CB radio/ outlaw trucker cultural phenomenon […]The Old Home Bread commercials, lyrics/vocals by Fries and music by Chip Davis, won the Clio Award as best ad campaign in the nation. Couple of dudes from Omaha beating out all the high-powered Don Drapers in NY, LA, and Chicago

“…Then we crashed the gate/doin’ 98/ I said, ‘Let them truckers roll! 10-4.”

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SusanM said:

She beautifully delivered one of my favourite movie lines of all time "I'm packing your angry eyes".

That was the first line that popped into my head when I heard that she had passed away. Such a distinctive voice! 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, smittykins said:

I actually looked him up on Wikipedia last week and was impressed that he was still alive. 😟

Wow, he was married for 70 years.

I couldn't stand his 'singing', but he took a unique idea (ad mascot turned singer) and made a new career out of it.  Good for him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Blergh said:

BTW, she had a very memorable one-shot on WKRP in Cincinatti as the station manager Andy's ex who'd become a successful singer- AND this character was the inspiration for the show's opening title song that started out 'Baby, if you've ever wondered/ Wondered became became of me/ I'm living in the air in Cincinatti/ Cincinatti, WKRP. . '  RIP, Miss Youngfellow.

A native Cleveland gal!!! She also played the late (great) Gregory Sierra's love interest in the short-lived ABC sitcom AES Hudson Street and the mom of Blossom. God rest her.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, SusanM said:

I loved the “blooper reel” where she kept packing all this crap inside him that he probably wouldn’t need.

The thing about Mrs. Potato Head I liked is that she softened Potato Head. He was a lot more likable in the other movies than he ever was in the first movie once he settled down.

• Love 10
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I loved the “blooper reel” where she kept packing all this crap inside him that he probably wouldn’t need.

The thing about Mrs. Potato Head I liked is that she softened Potato Head. He was a lot more likable in the other movies than he ever was in the first movie once he settled down.

Mrs. Potato Head is too underrated.

"Oh, it's so nice to have a big, strong SPUD around the house!"

"DON'T TALK TO ANY TOYS YA DON'T KNOW!!"

Estelle Harris had such a delightful comic touch; she could play annoying (not Mrs. Potato Head, I mean other roles) with the best of them, but there was always a lot of heart and wit underneath. She was also a hoot as Mrs. Costanza (she and Jerry Stiller were so believable as a grumpy old married couple).

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 20
(edited)

June Brown, EastEnders’ Dot Cotton, dies aged 95.

Brown is best known for playing the chainsmoking Christian and Walford stalwart since 1985. She served in the Women’s Royal Naval Service during the second world war, before training as an actor at London’s Old Vic Theatre School. Early TV roles included appearances on Coronation Street, Doctor Who, and Play For Today, before she joined the long running soap on the recommendation of Leslie Grantham, who played Den Watts.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Mrs. Potato Head is too underrated.

"Oh, it's so nice to have a big, strong SPUD around the house!"

"DON'T TALK TO ANY TOYS YA DON'T KNOW!!"

Estelle Harris had such a delightful comic touch; she could play annoying (not Mrs. Potato Head, I mean other roles) with the best of them, but there was always a lot of heart and wit underneath. She was also a hoot as Mrs. Costanza (she and Jerry Stiller were so believable as a grumpy old married couple).

She had a lot of great lines on Seinfeld but one of my favorites is when George got engaged and he & Susan called to tell his parents and Susan says ( paraphrasing here, it's been a while since I saw the ep ) 'I want you to know I love your son very much  ! ' and Estelle says , 'Really ? May I ask why ? ' . The way she said it was just so funny.

• LOL 13
  • Love 5
(edited)

https://deadline.com/2022/04/gerda-weissmann-klein-dead-holocaust-one-survivor-remembers-film-1234994471/

Mrs. Klein wrote a very moving memoir, All But My Life, about her account of the Holocaust.

Many years ago, I was a secretary at a Jewish Philadelphia Federation and got to read her book.  I was so touched by it that I wrote her a note.  Weeks later, she sent a lovely response saying that she was coming to Philly to be the guest of honor at an event I was assisting, and she wanted to meet me personally!

The night of the event, I was on pins and needles.  I was distributing name tags to guests when my boss called me to the side and had me meet Mrs. Klein.  She gave me a warm hug and thanked me for the letter; I was teary eyed and humbled that she took the time that night just to talk to me.

I was heartbroken to read this morning that she passed a couple of days ago.  I still have the book along with a copy of my letter to her and her response. 

Rest well, sweet lady....now you’re reunited with your beloved Kurt.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 10

Oh man, I had such a crush on Bobby Rydell after I saw the movie Bye Bye Birdie.  Then found out how long before I saw it that that movie came out.  Never mind.  Still thought he was adorable.  RIP Bobby.

• Love 11
(edited)
13 hours ago, SusanM said:

Oh man, I had such a crush on Bobby Rydell after I saw the movie Bye Bye Birdie.  Then found out how long before I saw it that that movie came out.  Never mind.  Still thought he was adorable.  RIP Bobby.

Bye Bye Birdie has one of my favorite movie dance scenes. R.I.P. Mr. Rydell.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 9
On 4/5/2022 at 7:17 AM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

https://deadline.com/2022/04/gerda-weissmann-klein-dead-holocaust-one-survivor-remembers-film-1234994471/

Mrs. Klein wrote a very moving memoir, All But My Life, about her account of the Holocaust.

Many years ago, I was a secretary at a Jewish Philadelphia Federation and got to read her book.  I was so touched by it that I wrote her a note.  Weeks later, she sent a lovely response saying that she was coming to Philly to be the guest of honor at an event I was assisting, and she wanted to meet me personally!

The night of the event, I was on pins and needles.  I was distributing name tags to guests when my boss called me to the side and had me meet Mrs. Klein.  She gave me a warm hug and thanked me for the letter; I was teary eyed and humbled that she took the time that night just to talk to me.

I was heartbroken to read this morning that she passed a couple of days ago.  I still have the book along with a copy of my letter to her and her response. 

Rest well, sweet lady....now you’re reunited with your beloved Kurt.

I also had the honour of meeting Mrs. Klein z'l a couple of decades ago.  She must have been sick and tired of years of shaking hands and making small talk, but she was incredibly warm, gracious, and thoughtful.

• Love 8

Kathryn Hays, who played Kim Hughes on the CBS soap opera “As the World Turns,” from 1972 to 2010, died on March 25 in Fairfield, Connecticut at the age of 87.

Besides her iconic role on “As the World Turns,” Hays had a memorable turn in the 1968 “Star Trek” episode “The Empath” as Gem, a mute alien who must learn to channel others’ pain to use her healing powers. The TV veteran had roles on more than 40 series, including “Route 66,” “Bonanza” and “The Man From U.N.C.L.E,” and starred in the 1966 Western series “The Road West.” Her most recent TV appearance was in a 2007 episode of “Law & Order: SVU.”

She also appeared in Broadway productions of “Ladybug, Ladybug” and “The Irregular Verb to Love,” as well as summer stock productions of “Showboat,” “Follies,” “Dames at Sea “and “A Little Night Music.”

Her films included 1966’s “Ride Beyond Vengeance” with Chuck Connors and “Counterpoint” in 1968 opposite Charlton Heston and Maximilian Schell.

• Love 6
Just now, Crashcourse said:

Yes, what a career her had.  I saw him play in so many movies and television shows.  

Yeah, there was a period of time when it seemed as if he was in every miniseries and guest starring on pretty much every tv show.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Kathryn Hays, who played Kim Hughes on the CBS soap opera “As the World Turns,” from 1972 to 2010, died on March 25 in Fairfield, Connecticut at the age of 87.

Besides her iconic role on “As the World Turns,” Hays had a memorable turn in the 1968 “Star Trek” episode “The Empath” as Gem, a mute alien who must learn to channel others’ pain to use her healing powers.  

I always thought that was one of the most intense nonspeaking performances I've ever seen due to how expressive her face but especially her eyes were. It reminds me a bit of Renee Falconetti's (1892-1946) captivating performance in The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) about the trial, captivity and murder of that impassioned young girl (seriously, watching the French, silent movie I couldn't help but think that I wasn't just seeing a performer playing Joan but as close as possible to witnessing the conquering saint herself ). I wonder if the late Miss Hays or even Mr. Roddenberry had seen that movie before 'The Empath' was filmed.

• Useful 3
(edited)
18 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Kathryn Hays took Kim from a homewrecker who had an affair with her own sister's husband to the Hughes' family beloved second matriarch (Nancy obviously was first) by the end of ATWT's run. R.I.P. Ms. Hays. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 11
(edited)
On 4/8/2022 at 6:49 PM, dalek said:

character actor Nehemiah Persoff has died  at 102,  which is a pretty amazing run.  He had a very prolific career.  

Nehemiah Persoff's career was another example of what it means to be a character actor. 102 is a great run. R.I.P Mr. Persoff. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 12

Kim Hughes was a mainstay in my childhood.  My mom, grandmother and great grandmother all loved ATWT for all the years it ran.  Ms. Hays had such a way about her.  She was so gracious and supportive.  It’s hard to imagine she was 87.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

SAG-AFTRA tweet on the death of Kathryn Hays:

CBS As The World Turns (scene from final episode of ATWT):

I just watched and didn’t see Kathryn Hayes, but I enjoyed the interview with June Brown of Eastenders fame kidding around with Lady Gaga. 

24 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just watched and didn’t see Kathryn Hayes, but I enjoyed the interview with June Brown of Eastenders fame kidding around with Lady Gaga. 

Hmm. I clicked the arrow on the CBS/ATWT tweet again and it was indeed the Kathyrn Hays/Don Hastings scene.  I can't answer where June Brown and Lady Gaga's video is coming from. Sorry! 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Hmm. I clicked the arrow on the CBS/ATWT tweet again and it was indeed the Kathyrn Hays/Don Hastings scene.  I can't answer where June Brown and Lady Gaga's video is coming from. Sorry! 

Indeed this is strange as after I posted my reply to you the correct video came up! Spooky. 

40 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Indeed this is strange as after I posted my reply to you the correct video came up! Spooky. 

Hmmm. Have you recently disrespected dolls? Did you do Chucky and/or Talky Tina wrong? 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

No, but maybe I have to chat with my two black cats 😂🐈

I’m quoting myself because I swear when I first made that post the emoji was that of a black cat. I have never used a square of color…ever. Somehow it changed. This is getting spooky. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m quoting myself because I swear when I first made that post the emoji was that of a black cat. I have never used a square of color…ever. Somehow it changed. This is getting spooky. 

Not all emojis can be viewed on all platforms. Sometimes an emoji looks fine in the post even though I got it from my iPhone emoji selection, but other times it shows up later as a square when I'm on my PC laptop . 
I don't see any black cat emojis in the PrimeTimer choices. 
But on another thread a mod mentioned an upgrade is coming soon, so maybe there will be black cats? 

Editing on my phone now to add the Apple iOS black cat emoji:

🐈
Okay. That is pretty weird.
I only added a black cat emoji, but it shows on both my iPhone and my PC in the post as a yellow cat plus a black square (like yours).

image.png.01200e5030e034f102b859abb1203b62.png
So, yeah, hopefully the board software upgrade will fix it.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Mimi Reinhardt, secretary who typed Schindler's List, dead at 107.

Mimi Reinhardt was Schindler’s secretary and drew up the lists of Jewish workers in the Polish city of Krakow to work in the factory of her German industrialist boss.

This was a highly risky enterprise but is estimated to have saved approximately 1,300 Jewish workers from deportation and almost certain death in Nazi concentration camps.

Reinhardt’s granddaughter Nina wrote in a message to relatives: “My grandmother, so dear and so unique, passed away at the age of 107. Rest in peace.”

1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

"You fool!" One of the funniest moments in game show history!

Thanks for posting. He was so funny. RIP

• Love 9

I was very shocked to hear of his passing!

I will always remember him from his early days on MTV.  He was in a commercial for the channel describing how the channel came to be - in his comedic style of course.  I remember thinking this guy is freaking annoying!   It took a while but I came to appreciate his humor. 

RIP Sir.

• Love 5