Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Even in the earlier days, though, a lot of hospitals would allow families in as their relatives were dying.

Not the hospitals around here in the first year so so of the pandemic, sadly.  But I've done my research now and you're right there has been a change in how dying patients are being treated. Thankfully.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

(yanks 2022 by the collar, slams against the wall) Now look, motherfucka….STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS!!

Seriously, can the world catch a damn break already, for the love of all that is good? 

Sad to hear about Louie Anderson, too. 

• Love 2

We will let families in for end of life COVID patients but once they leave the room they have to immediately leave the hospital.  We try to limit the number of family members but that's not always possible.

A lot of our patients who die from COVID are well beyond the initial contagion period anyway so they (and their families) aren't as much of a risk to the staff but its still something we think about.  Luckily, I'm in a mask wearing area so no one gives us too much trouble about masking the entire time.

• Useful 11
  • Love 4

I had Louie Anderson’s book “Dear Dad,” both in print and audiobook formats(which he read himself).  It’s in turns funny and heartbreaking; he barely holds it together when he talks about seeing his dad at the funeral.  I got a kick out of his response to his dad snarling “You kids want to walk home from here?”

”Sure, Dad.  We’re in the driveway.”

RIP, Louie.

• Love 15

On Meatloaf:

Loved his music and I hate it when people call his music "a guilty pleasure"!  He did it well and was a great performer.  He played Vegas many times and came into our studios more than once - I think the last time was 2015.  

On Louie:

Thought he was hilarious ever since I first saw him on Carson in the 80s!  He was a local and a sweetheart!  He came to our "More" studios anytime we asked (last time was just 7 months ago).  He would always ask how everyone was doing and was a nice guy all around.  We had announced he was being treated for non Hodgkin's Lymphoma earlier this week and I had a hunch it was not going to end well.  He still has the hat from his appearance in Coming To America and wore it proudly!  He was also doing comedy sets remotely to entertain fans.  He will be very much missed.  

image.thumb.png.0a39dda2d9df14ae3b77ab2bb8cc4335.png

• Love 20
2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CY_yhR8s0sf/?utm_medium=copy_link

Betty White’s last video. God speed, Betty. I hope the Betty White Challenge made you proud.

Our local shelter just emailed me to say they raised over 11K due to the Betty White Challenge.

It seems that the only thing that stopped Betty in the last couple of years was the pandemic. On the ET BW special, her agent mentioned that Betty would keep asking him when and where her next job would be, during the pandemic. Even with that, she still wanted to work.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Anduin said:

Singer/actor Meat Loaf. :( I rarely admit to my guilty pleasures, but yes. He was one of them. I remember buying Back Into Hell on tape back in 1993, and that's still my favourite album from him.

I liked some of his songs and The Rocky Horror Picture show is one of my all-time favorite movies. His role is a classic. RIP.

7 hours ago, mishy said:

I used to really like Life with Louie. That's where I learned that Winston Churchill had a big head. RIP, Louie. 

I hope that's it for this month.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Our local shelter just emailed me to say they raised over 11K due to the Betty White Challenge.

Ours raised 12K!  At least she got one last good deed out for her beloved animal friends!

• Love 14

Many people may not know that Louie Anderson played a leading role in the original unaired pilot of Perfect Strangers. His character, Lou Appleton, was revamped, given the new first name of Larry and recast with Mark Linn Baker.

Here are some photos of him with Bronson Pinchot in the unaired pilot:

http://www.perfectstrangers.tv/episodeguide00.htm

Mr. Anderson, despite this potential career setback, managed to carve his own niche in the world of show biz. The last thing I saw him in was a guest spot on Young Sheldon a couple of years ago. RIP. 🙏

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

Ours raised 12K!  At least she got one last good deed out for her beloved animal friends!

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/betty-white-challenge-fundraiser-animal-shelters-facebook-instagram-1235160087/

12.7M! If Betty had known, she would have said, “maybe I should have died earlier then.” You just know she would have that kind of attitude if it would help her beloved animals.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, Popples said:

How unspeakably gut-wrenching. I can't even begin to imagine what Regina King is going through. RIP

She was so close to him too. This is absolutely heartbreaking. A mother’s worst nightmare. 

14 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

She was so close to him too. This is absolutely heartbreaking. A mother’s worst nightmare. 

We have close friends who lost a son to suicide last year.  It was about as awful as you'd expect but made so much worse by some of the incredibly insensitive comments that were made by so called friends.  I hope she and her son's father are spared that at least.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Earlier I read this happened on his birthday, too! I just can't imagine what the family is going through.

2 hours ago, Katmai said:

Earlier I read this happened on his birthday, too! I just can't imagine what the family is going through.

I just Googled and their birthdays were 4 days apart. I can’t imagine her ever being able to celebrate it again. 

Kathryn Kates Dies: ‘Many Saints Of Newark’, ‘Seinfeld’ & ‘SVU’ Actress Was 73.

A native New Yorker, Kates had a few small roles in the early 1980s but got busier during the following decade. By the mid-’90s, she was guesting on such series as Matlock, Thunder Alley and Seinfeld. She appeared as a counter clerk in two episodes of the NBC juggernaut: “The Dinner Party” (1994) and “The Rye” (1996). More guest shots and a few small film roles followed through the ’90s and into the 21st century, with Kates appearing on series including Matlock, Caroline in the City, Lizzie McGuire, Judging Amy, Rescue Me and others.

She later would recur on a trio of popular series: Orange Is the New Black as Amy Kanter-Bloom, the mother of Piper Chapman’s ex-fiancé (Jason Biggs); Jennifer Lopez drama Shades of Blue as Mrs. Saperstein, the mother of Detective David Saperstein (Santino Fontana); and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Judge Marlene Simons. Most recently, Kates appeared in last year’s short film Welcome to Sarajevo, for which she won Best Actress at the NYCTV Festival, and played Angie DeCarlo in David Chase’s The Many Saints of Newark.

11 hours ago, BetterButter said:

RIP Peter Robbins

Such sad news. Peter Robbins' voice as Charlie Brown has been part of my Christmas since childhood.  R.I.P. Mr. Robbins.

Edited by MissAlmond
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Charlie Brown Christmas GIF by Peanuts

😥 Rest in Peace Peter Robbins. The Peanuts Specials were a part of my childhood as they were for so many.  "I Got a Rock" lol. I use to make that joke as a kid and I got crappy Halloween candy lol. 

Damn January give us a break. I'm tired.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, BetterButter said:

It turns out that Mr. Robbins took his own life! How horrible! That definitely retroactively adds a needlessly chilling postscript to Charlie Brown's cynical pondering about being depressed and unsure about life. I hope his family can find the strength to cope. RIP, Mr. Robbins. 

1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

Poor guy; I only saw him in a few small guest shots I don't remember, but he had a steady career going until this (from the Deadline obituary linked above) stalled it, a horrible incident I vaguely remember from the time:

All of that came to a halt in August 1989, when Morgan had a minor car accident and was arrested on suspicion of DUI by the Los Angeles police. While in custody, he was severely beaten, suffering a broken nose, fractured cheek, dislocated jaw and nerve damage to his face. A blood alcohol test cleared him of the DUI charge, and his treatment was later settled in a lawsuit against LAPD.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Domestic Assassin said:

Aw damnit, Howard Hesseman died. I loved Dr. Johnny Fever! BOOGER!!!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/howard-hesseman-dead-wkrp-cincinnati-1235084085/

Man, this is another one that hurts.  Johnny was my favorite character on WKRP.  I really liked his friendship with Venus since they were total opposites and I always wished that he and Bailey would've gotten together because they were a cute couple. 

As I've gotten older I've appreciated the BOOGER scene more and more.  It starts out with Andy telling Johnny he can play rock and roll again but Johnny declines because he thinks he's too old.  Andy says he has confidence in Johnny and after some hesitation Johnny takes on the Dr. Fever persona. It's a nicely done bit about not being afraid to reach for your dreams, and I love that by the final episode Johnny is the #1 morning DJ in the entire city.  RIP.

• Love 16

Oh, how sad. I adored Johnny Fever. Remember when he was convinced the phone cops were after him because he'd smashed a phone to pieces? What an iconic character. You brought us lots of laughs, Mr. Hesseman.

• Love 17

So sad about Howard Hesseman.  I loved WKRP and the character of Johnny Fever.  After Frank Bonner's death last year, I thought I should do a re-watch of WKRP but now I definitely have to do so. 

Rubaco, one of my favorite Johnny Fever moments is his rant about the phone cops -- "They see everything, they know everything, they have their own covert police force!" and JOHNNY (thinking the explosion at the transmitter was done by the phone cops because he smashed a telephone to bits):  "These phone cops play hardball."  ANDY:  I don't know how to tell you this, but there is no such thing as phone cops."  JOHNNY:  "Oh sure, cover for them."   ANDY:  "The real cops caught the maniac who did it."  JOHNNY:  "The real cops are in on it." 

Anyone old enough to remember "the" phone company, prior to the breakup of the Bell system, had to find that hilarious.  

• Love 13

I was sad to hear about Howard Hessman's death.  I don't think words can express how much I love WKRP.  It's comedy gold.  Every time we have a problem with our land line, even now, I'll sometimes say "You don't mess with Ma Bell". I don't recall if that's an actual phrase in the phone cops episode--I haven't seen it in a long time--but I'm definitely referencing it when I say it. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Anyone old enough to remember "the" phone company, prior to the breakup of the Bell system, had to find that hilarious.  

Ernestine: "We don't care, we don't have to, we're the phone company!"

So sad to hear about Howard Hesseman, January has been a bitch of a month.

• Love 12