Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, raven said:

Best Christmas movie is Die Hard (not unpopular) with George C. Scott's A Christmas Carol second (probably unpopular).  And of course!

I always watch Die Hard and Die Hard 2 for Christmas.  They are absolutely Christmas movies and anyone who says they are not deserves coal in their stocking.  I also watch Long Kiss Goodnight with Geena Davis as an amnesia stricken bad ass who gets her memory back in time to save upstate NY on Christmas Eve.

I am 52 years old and I watch Santa Clause is Coming to Town every single year. It is my absolute favorite animated Christmas show.  

• Love 10

I loved Charlie Brown and The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, but another that I loved is one that I don't remember the name of.  It was animated and the main characters were a family of mice and the clock maker whose house they lived in.  The story line is that a small town got a letter from Santa saying that he wasn't going to come that year because he'd received a letter saying that he was a phony and a fraud, so the father of the mice family and the clock maker came up with a plan to tell Santa that they did believe in him and they were sorry that someone sent him that letter. 

My favorite more modern cartoon was Prep and Landing.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I loved Charlie Brown and The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, but another that I loved is one that I don't remember the name of.  It was animated and the main characters were a family of mice and the clock maker whose house they lived in.  The story line is that a small town got a letter from Santa saying that he wasn't going to come that year because he'd received a letter saying that he was a phony and a fraud, so the father of the mice family and the clock maker came up with a plan to tell Santa that they did believe in him and they were sorry that someone sent him that letter. 

My favorite more modern cartoon was Prep and Landing.

It's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I remember liking Rudolph as a kid, but seeing it as an adult, I hate it. Santa is completely unlikeable.   Rudolph is ostracized because of a birth defect or whatever. But, then when they need him, they're more than happy to use it.  The elves are basically slaves.  I remember the first time I saw it as an adult, i was about 24 or 25, I think.  I was visiting my parents, and I was like why is Santa so grouchy?  I don't remember this.  My mom said "He has a toothache.  that dentist elf is going to fix it."  That didn't happen, and my mom was like "I think they changed it."    Oddly, enough, when I went to work, I shared that little exchange and someone worked with said, "I think your mom's right.  Santa did have a toothache." So, now I can't decide if there's some big Rudolph conspiracy to cover up that Santa gets toothaches.

It was the Bumble that had the toothache.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I know, but my mom insisted they changed it. It's funny how you remember something one way and don't see it for years and you're convinced that's what happened.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Zella said:

I have a pretty low capacity for holiday cheer. I don't dislike the holidays--actually kind of enjoy them--but I can only handle so much holiday-themed entertainment.

The xmas episodes of Futurama are the best. Santa is a robot and no one is good enough for gifts. And they work on Neptune. 

I like the holidays because we always had great food, and in modern times I sit outside on the deck and watch NBA and drink.

It's all the inundation to buy, buy, buy that really turns me off. I just don't do gifts for anything. And most of the music is awful. 

Two things that drive me up the wall - 1. Commercials that use xmas songs and change the lyrics. 2. Spouses buying their spouse or both of them a new car as a gift. Who makes a major purchasing decision without talking to their partner!

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Did he have a toothache?  All I remember is  the Bumble has all his teeth removed because he's going to eat everyone.  The one I know who has the toothache is the head elf at the very end of the show and the dentist elf makes an appointment for him for after the holidays.  Chiming in to agree that as an adult I find Rudolph very hard to watch.  Not least because of the way they de-teeth the Bumble.  That seems pretty cruel - I mean I do get that the Bumble is presented as being threatening and they had to do something but jeeze, taking out all his teeth?  That's cold, man!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Did he have a toothache?  All I remember is  the Bumble has all his teeth removed because he's going to eat everyone.  

Oh, I think you are right. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it. 

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The xmas episodes of Futurama are the best. Santa is a robot and no one is good enough for gifts.

Except Zoidberg. He was the only one Santa deemed worthy of a gift.

Its not as good when they show it on tv, but I’ve always liked Gremlins as a Xmas movie,

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Yes!  Thank you.  I remember loving the music and can still remember the chorus of one of the songs. 

'Twas the Night Before Christmas is coming on tomorrow on AMC at 4:30 EST. "Even a Miracle Needs a Hand" is one of my favorite songs from the entire Rankin/Bass catalogue.

I can't stand the Rudolph one, Santa's such a massive jerk in it. I also can't get through Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Co-signing the Christmas movie hate, Wonderful Life, Story, Carol, whatever, they all suck and all versions of them suck. 

Cold Miser >>>>>>>>> Heat Miser. That helmet of ice rules. 

I also hate every TV show version of character going manic trying to create and amazing Christmas only for it all to turn to crap and character learning that Christmas is all about love and kindness and happy crap. Ugh. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I hate that too.

I don't hate A Christmas Story.  I actually used to like it a lot.  But I've grown very tired of it since the annual 24 hours of Ralphie began.

18 hours ago, Lugal said:

Sort of the same with A Christmas Carol I like the versions that keep Dickens' bite and don't get sappy.

That's why I love the George C. Scott version.

18 hours ago, Lugal said:

As for The Nutcracker, I used to know some dancers and here's a secret: most dancers hate The Nutcracker with a passion.

I love some of the music, but the only version I ever want to watch is the Mikhail Baryshnikov version from the early 80s.  For obvious reasons.

I believe it is Hermie's boss, the head elf, who has the toothache at the end of Rudolph.  Santa's just an ass.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I remember liking Rudolph as a kid, but seeing it as an adult, I hate it. Santa is completely unlikeable.   Rudolph is ostracized because of a birth defect or whatever. But, then when they need him, they're more than happy to use it.  The elves are basically slaves.  I remember the first time I saw it as an adult, i was about 24 or 25, I think.  I was visiting my parents, and I was like why is Santa so grouchy?  I don't remember this.  My mom said "He has a toothache.  that dentist elf is going to fix it."  That didn't happen, and my mom was like "I think they changed it."    Oddly, enough, when I went to work, I shared that little exchange and someone worked with said, "I think your mom's right.  Santa did have a toothache." So, now I can't decide if there's some big Rudolph conspiracy to cover up that Santa gets toothaches.

I still love Rudolph, maybe because I was actually pretty young when I started to notice how Santa is a horrible person--at first I just knew that I did not like this Santa at all. (And no, he never had a toothache, he's just a dick.) The weirdest is when he sees Rudolph's nose is negative (I believe he even says something like "Well, he'd better!" when Donner nervously says he'll grow out of the nose); then later when they try to hide it and it comes off he's gets mad and is all, "And he had a good landing too!" 

And I remember even as a kid being like, um, so if you're a kid born with some odd physical thing Santa rejects you? Isn't the whole point of Santa supposed to be that he wouldn't do that? But eventually I just found it funny how whacked out the story is. Especially when Rudolph briefly makes a friend, Fireball, who's even got a little blonde tuft of hair to show what a perfect Aryan reindeer he is. 

Also, love how Charlie-in-the-Box is coded as so very gay, so when he says he's a misfit toy because his name's Charlie and nobody wants a Charlie-in-the-box I always mentally say, "Yeah, sure that's why." 

Still, I love it and think it's really good to look at the kind of values they'd put into a kid's Christmas special back then!

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Popples said:

"Even a Miracle Needs a Hand" is one of my favorite songs from the entire Rankin/Bass catalogue.

That would be the one that I still remember (partially, anyway).

I never liked that one with Heat Meiser and Cold Meiser.  The clay animation thing was creepy.  I could get through Rudolph, although, I still wasn't crazy about it.  Now, I can't watch Rudolph at all because of the horrible implications in it. 

21 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And I hate pretty much every adaptation of A Christmas Carol except for maybe Scrooged but I can't watch that one over and over either

Not Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol????? How could anybody hate that?

• Love 6

There are two versions of A Christmas Carol I like--The Muppets and the Alistair Sim black & white one. It annoys the hell out of me when adaptations start setting the various woes of Ebenezer at times other than Christmas. Everything bad--Fanny's death, being dumped by the fiancee, Marley's death, etc. happened at CHRISTMAS. That's the fucking point!

Ahem.

As for other holiday viewing...

Charlie Brown: All the girls are total bitches all the time, way out of proportion to the boys.

Rudolph: Santa is a total dick and every other male except Yukon Cornelius and Hermie/Herbie is a bully.  I can't tolerate any of the other Rankin Bass things, claymation or animated. The Heat Miser leaves me cold.

A Christmas Story: I do love bits of it but I need to take a break from it for a couple of years.

Grinch (animated only, obviously, because the movie is an abomination): just to keep it special because it's my favorite.

It's a Wonderful Life: I spit on your goddamned Savings & Loan. Potterville looks way more fun than Bedford Falls and the fate-worse-than-death of Mary pissed me off even when I was achild, IMO she was better off with that oaf George. Also, Jimmy Stewart as a high schooler? I'm used to actors in their 20s as TV teens, but my suspension of disbelief can only stretch so far before it snaps back and takes out an eye. It's as bad as the Lost flashback with Michael Emerson as 20ish Ben. Michael Emerson is a brilliant actor but even he could not pull that one off. [Ben4evah❤️]

Die Hard, Christmas Vacation, Bad Santa, etc.: The movies themselves are OK but I feel like supporters are sometimes trying too hard to push them as the cool alt-Xmas films.

Scrooged: I liked it when t first came out, in spite of Carol Kane, but I don't think it has aged well and I didn't make it through the last time I tried to watch it.

Ditto for Elf. But I can't hate it because "you sit on a throne of lies" is one of my vary favorite movie lines.

The Polar Express: Not a film I look for or actively avoid. I'm apparently immune to the Uncanny Valley

The Bishop's Wife: The real one, where poor Loretta Young is torn between angel Cary Grant and her husband the bishop, David Niven. There are bits I dislike intensely but mostly I just covet the bishop's house and think how awful, simply awful, it must have been to be Loretta.

I love the Nutcracker. That's right. I look forward to the Battle of the Nutcrackers on Ovation every damn year and am irritated that now they just stick a few versions on Ovation Now so it isn't an event. There's always t least one traditional staging and then something completely different. Check out the creepy Czech version, the one that begins with the Turks almost taking Vienna and has one of the most disturbing Drosselmeyers I've ever seen, the bizarre Nutcracker/Christmas Carol mash-up, the offensive Dutch version with Black Peter, the WTF circus-like one from Switzerland, the fabulous San Francisco one where half the dancers are in drag, etc. This year the Czech one is there and the Mariinsky is the traditional offering. I don't remember what the 3rd one is.

To my dismay, I actually enjoy The Santa Clause series in spite of my opinion of Tim Allen.

And I happen to like Love, Actually. There, I said it. So sue me. I love Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, and even, in this film, Hugh Grant. But it has to be the uncut version, so to speak, because the broadcast versions completely edit out the Martin Freeman storyline. It's corny AF but I don't care. I actually sought out the little reunion thing they did for Children in Need or whatever it was for.

ETA: With apologies to those who love it, I hate White Christmas with the heat of thousand burning nuns (TM TWoP). The contrived misunderstanding of the overheard phone call, the "hilarious" Crosby/Kaye drag parody of Sisters that I thought undermined the women's performance, both romantic relationships, the entire '50s sensibility. Also, I despise Bing Crosby. I usually like Danny Kaye but he can't overcome my dislike of der Bingle.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5

My favorite version of The Christmas Carol is a Diva's Christmas Carol starring Vanessa Williams  and Chili from TLC.  The move is like a mash up of A Christmas Carol and Dreamgirls. 

Generally speaking I am not a big fan of Christmas traditional movies.  I have a soft spot for Rudolph and Santa Claus Is Coming to Town because childhood.  And honestly the songs are catchy.

I loved It's a Wonderful Life the very first time I saw it like, 30 years ago.  But the oversaturation cured me of that.  if I had to hear ZuZu play that damned song one more time...

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Zella said:

I have a pretty low capacity for holiday cheer. I don't dislike the holidays--actually kind of enjoy them--but I can only handle so much holiday-themed entertainment. I usually end up reading a bunch of murder mysteries to counteract it all. 

I'm in this camp. I am not a huge fan of holiday movies because there are soooooo many and they start earlier and earlier. 

I do love White Christmas, I love the clothes, the music, and I always cry towards the end with the soldier stuff. Give me some WWII vets and I bawl like a baby every time. 

I am fine with having seen many of the Christmas movies I've seen, but have little need to rewatch them, let alone watch them year after year. Even White Christmas I don't feel a compelling need to watch every year. If I catch it on I'll watch it, if not, there's always next year. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

And I happen to like Love, Actually. There, I said it. So sue me. I love Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, and even, in this film, Hugh Grant. But it has to be the uncut version, so to speak, because the broadcast versions completely edit out the Martin Freeman storyline. It's corny AF but I don't care.

I also like Love, Actually.

• Love 9

I like Love, Actually,  too @ABay. Although, I do understand why people find it problematic.  

No one has mentioned Miracle on 34th St. (The original). I really like that one, too. Even though that scene with the little Dutch girl is a bit sappy, I still tear up every time.

• Love 11
On 12/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

And dont get me started on Mary.  I feel personally attacked that the horrible fate to befell her in the darkest timeline is a spinster librarian who inexplicably wears glasses. 

Mary in the glasses reminds me of Etta's comment in Wonder Woman: "Sure, specs. Because suddenly she's now not one of the most beautiful women you've ever seen."

And I've said before that George should've kicked Billy's ass until his leg got tired.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:No one has mentioned Miracle on 34th St. (The original). I really like that one, too. Even though that scene with the little Dutch girl is a bit sappy, I still tear up every time.

Miracle on 34th is my favorite Christmas movie, the original, not the 90’s remake which I’ve never seen. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I like Love, Actually,  too @ABay. Although, I do understand why people find it problematic.  

No one has mentioned Miracle on 34th St. (The original). I really like that one, too. Even though that scene with the little Dutch girl is a bit sappy, I still tear up every time.

I like it, too, but my fave part is the beginning when Maureen O'Hara's character was actually helping to organize the Thanksgiving Parade with all the floats,etc.  It was amazing to see how carefully they had to organize this to keep things from getting chaotic  and hide mishaps so the spectators wouldn't be disappointed! Oh, and it needs to be mentioned the production crew actually staged it in the Manhattan streets on the REAL Macy's Parade staging grounds! 

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I really like the original Miracle on 34th Street, too.  I think I saw the remake once, and once was quite enough, thank you.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I still love Rudolph, maybe because I was actually pretty young when I started to notice how Santa is a horrible person--at first I just knew that I did not like this Santa at all. (And no, he never had a toothache, he's just a dick.) The weirdest is when he sees Rudolph's nose is negative (I believe he even says something like "Well, he'd better!" when Donner nervously says he'll grow out of the nose); then later when they try to hide it and it comes off he's gets mad and is all, "And he had a good landing too!" 

And I remember even as a kid being like, um, so if you're a kid born with some odd physical thing Santa rejects you? Isn't the whole point of Santa supposed to be that he wouldn't do that? But eventually I just found it funny how whacked out the story is. Especially when Rudolph briefly makes a friend, Fireball, who's even got a little blonde tuft of hair to show what a perfect Aryan reindeer he is. 

Also, love how Charlie-in-the-Box is coded as so very gay, so when he says he's a misfit toy because his name's Charlie and nobody wants a Charlie-in-the-box I always mentally say, "Yeah, sure that's why." 

Still, I love it and think it's really good to look at the kind of values they'd put into a kid's Christmas special back then!

Santa and Donner are jerks in Rudolf but Clarice and Rudolf's mom are great so they cancel each other out. Rudolph has an excellent soundtrack. My favorite Christmas special is Muppet Family Christmas I wish it was on television every year.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, GaT said:

Not Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol????? How could anybody hate that?

Right!  I'd forgotten about that one.  It is really excellent too.  I even like the songs.

14 hours ago, ABay said:

The Bishop's Wife: The real one, where poor Loretta Young is torn between angel Cary Grant and her husband the bishop, David Niven. There are bits I dislike intensely but mostly I just covet the bishop's house and think how awful, simply awful, it must have been to be Loretta.

And Elsa Lancaster as the housekeeper.  It's all charming.

14 hours ago, ABay said:

And I happen to like Love, Actually. There, I said it. So sue me. I love Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, and even, in this film, Hugh Grant. But it has to be the uncut version, so to speak, because the broadcast versions completely edit out the Martin Freeman storyline. It's corny AF but I don't care. I actually sought out the little reunion thing they did for Children in Need or whatever it was for.

I love, love Love Actually.  The cast is perfection.  I bawl at the end with the shots of people hugging at the airport.  Especially this year.

12 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I have a photo of myself at maybe 4 or 5 sitting on the lap of the Macy's Santa, giving the camera the exact same look Natalie is giving.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I like Rudolph for the songs.

I like the songs except for Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  It could be because when we were little, my younger brother sang it All. The. Damn. Time.   And, wouldn't you know it's tradition in my husband's family to sing it every year with all the extras ("you would even say it glowed-like a light bulb!"). I stand in the back and nod along, all the while grinding my teeth.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 12/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

The xmas episodes of Futurama are the best. Santa is a robot and no one is good enough for gifts. And they work on Neptune. 

There's a small handful of Christmas episodes I rank among modern classics and both Futurama episodes are on that list. 

I have a real soft spot for White Christmas, as retrograde as it is, even though I don't care all that much for Bing Crosby. Danny Kaye really sells that movie, as does most of Rosemary Clooney's wardrobe. The Albert Finney 1970 Scrooge musical is the only version of A Christmas Carol I've ever really found tolerable.  The dance number with all the townspeople singing "Thank You Very Much" for Scrooge being good enough to finally die with Scrooge obliviously dancing along with them never fails to get me.

• Love 6

Well, my UO is that I love A Christmas Story!

Of course my best friend used to live next door to the house (b4 it was renovated like the movie).  I also love seeing my beloved hometown - esp in the downtown scenes.  I worked in Public Square while it was being filmed, and because I was on the 9th floor, we would stay late sometimes and watch them from a window.  Magical times.

I also adore Rudolph, and collect memorabilia from that movie, including all the stuffed characters that CVS sold for several years.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The Albert Finney 1970 Scrooge musical is the only version of A Christmas Carol I've ever really found tolerable.  The dance number with all the townspeople singing "Thank You Very Much" for Scrooge being good enough to finally die with Scrooge obliviously dancing along with them never fails to get me.

I love "Thank You Very Much"!  First, of all, the song itself is kind of a banger.  But second of all, they're singing cause he's dead which is awesomely perverse.  I also love "I Hate People."  I don't know what any of that says about me!

Favorite Christmas themed episodes include The Office's Benihana Christmas, the Modern Family where Phil is on the elliptical (the payoff for that kills me), and the Simpsons one where they are all singing to the tune of the Nutcracker music. (mostly because I get the song stuck in my head).  And of course, Schweddy Balls!  

And for the record, I am team A Christmas Story.

• Love 3

Oh I forgot one of my favorite Christmas episodes. The IASIP Christmas special. I literally laughed until I cried when I first watched it. And then par for the course with that show, I then wondered if the fact I found it funny made me a bad person. 

• Love 3
On 12/5/2020 at 9:22 AM, ABay said:

On 12/5/2020 at 11:26 AM, Shannon L. said:

I don't give a damn about the various love stories. They are corny and often problematic, but so what? The movie is funny as hell.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Oh I forgot one of my favorite Christmas episodes. The IASIP Christmas special. I literally laughed until I cried when I first watched it. And then par for the course with that show, I then wondered if the fact I found it funny made me a bad person. 

I love that episode.  Mac and charlie's Christmas memories being shattered are hilarious and heartbreaking.  It's so perfectly 'always sunny' how they try to sing carols and the neighbors scream at them to shut up. 

The scene at the end with young mac and Charlie makes me tear up.  'merry Christmas buddy'

• LOL 2
12 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Mac and charlie's Christmas memories being shattered are hilarious and heartbreaking. 

Yes! The backstories, objectively, are just so incredibly sad. But the execution is hilarious. Charlie's Santa meltdown is what made me really lose it. I still can't think of it without giggling uncontrollably. But I also feel terrible for him. 

Edited by Zella

I haven’t seen it since I was very young but I always loved the Christmas on Sesame Street movie that used to air every year where Big Bird would stay up all night to wait for Santa.  I doubt they air it anymore as it was pre Elmo.  

• Love 7
On 12/5/2020 at 4:49 AM, Haleth said:

I love, love Love Actually.  The cast is perfection.  I bawl at the end with the shots of people hugging at the airport.  Especially this year.

Are we the same person?  This has become our family Christmas tradition to watch.  My brother usually stomps off to watch the game.

Christmas in Connecticut is great with Barbara Stanwyck. 

The one I miss is A Claymation Christmas.  There is a part with four camels singing barbershop harmonies that is hilarious.  But they never show it anymore.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

The one I miss is A Claymation Christmas.  There is a part with four camels singing barbershop harmonies that is hilarious.  But they never show it anymore.

OMG, I used to love that one! It taught me was "wassailing" was and it had the California Raisins doing The Temptations' rendition of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer".

• Love 6
On 12/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, Katy M said:

I'll top that.  I don't like, no, I hate It's a Wonderful Life.  

On 12/4/2020 at 10:19 AM, Haleth said:

I think it was Yukon Cornellias. Bumble had all his teeth removed when he showed up on Xmas Eve, but wasn't Hermie already in the room when they entered? 

• Love 3
On 12/6/2020 at 2:47 PM, partofme said:

I haven’t seen it since I was very young but I always loved the Christmas on Sesame Street movie that used to air every year where Big Bird would stay up all night to wait for Santa.  I doubt they air it anymore as it was pre Elmo.  

I LOVE Christmas Eve on Sesame Street! I had it on VHS for years!

• Love 5

Poldark: I haven't seen all of the episodes of Poldark, but Ross Poldark comes across as really snobby sometimes as well in dealing with Francis and George, which is ironic considering that he often defended marrying a low ranking woman. He got to hit that sweet spot of being technically poor but born to a "second son" in an aristocratic family, so he was freed of the many rules and pressures that Francis had to deal with, but he could also judge George because it "only" took his family two generations to rise to wealth. I was really touched by that last scene between Francis and Demezla when Francis, who warned Ross that being married to his maid would hurt her social standing in season 1, talked her up. I agree with some of the commenters, it was more than the times that Demelza helped out his family; it was feeling not good enough and left out of the bond between Elizabeth and Ross. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1
On 12/6/2020 at 1:56 PM, meep.meep said:

There are quite a few uploads of it on YouTube.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Poldark: I haven't seen all of the episodes of Poldark, but Ross Poldark comes across as really snobby sometimes as well in dealing with Francis and George, which is ironic considering that he often defended marrying a low ranking woman. He got to hit that sweet spot of being technically poor but born to a "second son" in an aristocratic family, so he was freed of the many rules and pressures that Francis had to deal with, but he could also judge George because it "only" took his family two generations to rise to wealth. I was really touched by that last scene between Francis and Demezla when Francis, who warned Ross that being married to his maid would hurt her social standing in season 1, talked her up. I agree with some of the commenters, it was more than the times that Demelza helped out his family; it was feeling not good enough and left out of the bond between Elizabeth and Ross. 

I started watching Poldark because I find Aidan Turner (and Cornwall!) very attractive, but it didn't take me long to start rooting for Evil George of all people because Ross is such a dick. 

• Love 4