Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Nande said:

Nate Fisher from Six Feet Under was a piece of shit from start to finish and its extremely concerning how a large number of SFU fans sympathised with him. Also, he was my least favourite character out of the entire cast.

Netflix has some of the worst tv shows I have ever seen and have become so formulaic, you can almost tell when a show was made by Netflix.

South parks take on netflix

1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

South parks take on netflix

https://youtu.be/l-PQ2J3uQe0

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

“the(IMO) obnoxiously overrated Firefly.”

A-fucking-men. Its like Whedon threw in half a dozen anime series into a blender, then was all “Wooooo look how original I am!”

Also, Six Feet Under in general was a piece of shit.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 5

Awww, I love Firefly, but will agree that it probably was not sustainable as a long-term show.  Lost would have benefited from having a defined number of seasons from the start so the story could be properly told.  Heroes should have ended after the first season.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Now that the whispers of what an asshole Joss Whedon is are now shouts, I feel more vindicated than ever in my hatred of the (IMO) obnoxiously overrated Firefly.

The first time I ever heard about that show was when Troy mentioned it in an episode of "Community". I've never seen it, and yet I still feel like I know it just because of how much people have talked about that show online over the years. 

I've never followed Whedon's career in general-I think the only thing I've seen that he was involved with were episodes of "Roseanne" that he wrote back in the day, but even then, he wasn't the reason I watched those episodes. I just liked the show, period. So I'm just watching all of this craziness from the sidelines with curiosity and horror on behalf of the people who are sharing their stories about him. I feel for them, along with everyone else who's been negatively impacted in some way by his asshole behavior. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

“the(IMO) obnoxiously overrated Firefly.”

A-fucking-men. Its like Whedon threw in half a dozen anime series into a blender, then was all “Wooooo look how original I am!”

Hey, TV writers, a little FYI:

Taking a familiar genre and setting it IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!  will not automatically make it fresh or interesting. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Awww, I love Firefly, but will agree that it probably was not sustainable as a long-term show.  Lost would have benefited from having a defined number of seasons from the start so the story could be properly told.  Heroes should have ended after the first season.

I've always thought that the writers' strike seriously hurt Heroes. It wasn't the same show when the strike ended and the show started again.

46 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Hey, TV writers, a little FYI:

Taking a familiar genre and setting it IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!  will not automatically make it fresh or interesting. 

Particularly when it's been done before.

• Love 3

I don’t understand why people keep acting like Joss being horribly inappropriate with Charisma Carpenter is brand new information.  She has talked about it for years and no one seemed to want to listen.  She recently gave more details, but I have always thought he was horrible after her first set of comments found on YouTube.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I've always thought that the writers' strike seriously hurt Heroes.

From what I understood, the producers wanted to use a new cast each season, but due to it's success during the first season, the network insisted they keep the season 1 cast, which screwed up the overall plans for the show. Not sure how true that is, but it does explain a bit.

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
On 2/12/2021 at 10:58 AM, Nande said:

Nate Fisher from Six Feet Under was a piece of shit from start to finish and its extremely concerning how a large number of SFU fans sympathised with him. Also, he was my least favourite character out of the entire cast.

Netflix has some of the worst tv shows I have ever seen and have become so formulaic, you can almost tell when a show was made by Netflix.

Oh, I hated him the entire series. So very much. 

• Love 4

I think I posted a long time ago, that I just couldn't get into Mr. Robot enough to finish it.  I got through one season, then a couple episodes of the next one and gave up.  Last year, I decided to try it again and I still couldn't make it past a couple of more episodes than the first time I tried.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I think I posted a long time ago, that I just couldn't get into Mr. Robot enough to finish it.  I got through one season, then a couple episodes of the next one and gave up.  Last year, I decided to try it again and I still couldn't make it past a couple of more episodes than the first time I tried.

I watched the first four episodes, I think. I found it interesting but just really couldn't summon up the willpower to keep up with the show. By the time I might have gone back and watched more, the effusive praise was so loud that I felt a contrary need to just never watch it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Lexx was great for scifi because not everything on a spaceship has to be 'gritty' or 'real'. Sometimes people are just horny. 

The third season was as good as anything, and there was a lot of good stuff in season 4, like the vampire two parter, the chess game, and whatever the hell was going on with Stan almost marrying the wood nymph. 

Also you can't beat Gigerotta becoming the pope. And the King of New Found Land. 

• Love 1

Here is one of mine: While I do appreciate and acknowledge the need for diversity in TV shows (both behind the camera and in front), I don't support shows based on whether or not they are diverse.

I tried to get into the One Day at a Time reboot but didn't care much for it (as much as I like Rita Moreno, even she couldn't turn me into a full time fan of the show), and I thought Bridgerton was more dumb than entertaining.

But I am glad both shows exist, at least.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 11

I was just thinking about this the other night after Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridges (both of whom I love) announced their new show.

I think Atlanta is boring.  It has a great cast and every once in a while, there are episodes or moments I like but overall, I feel like it's an effort to stay engaged with it.  So it's not like I hate it or anything like that. 

Maybe I've said this in this thread before. I don't know.  I just keep thinking I need to keep watching it every season because it tops so many critics lists.  I feel like I'm missing something.

I kind of feel the same way about Pamela Adlon's show as well, Better Things.  Sometimes, it has a really great ep but other times, I feel like I need to watch it until I see its genius.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4

I hate that there was Josh Lyman bashing going on here and I'm months/pages too late. But I guess one is never too late.

Josh would be very high on the list of beloved TV characters I couldn't stand. I watched the first several episodes of The West Wing when it premiered in 1999, and the one that got it taken off my rounds was a Josh-heavy episode. He'd bugged me before that, but this was the fatal dose. It was the one in which he's freaking out all hour long because he got an NSC "in case of attack" card and his coworkers didn't. He goes to some pastoral counselor/friend and does that thing Aaron Sorkin thinks is good writing of psychology, where a character puts the wrong word in a sentence so we know what he's really upset about. He gets hand-holding from CJ over it. Then the episode ends with him returning his card to the president; he doesn't want to be separated from his friends, and now he wants to break bread and drink beer with them, or whatever. Big blocks of cheese in the White House hadn't gone out with Andrew Jackson, is what I was thinking. (I won't even get into the "Gee whiz, look at these modern career gals" stuff from the two older guys right before that, because Josh is the current target.)  

I've liked Whitford in other roles, but something about the way the character and the actor lined up that time just didn't sit well. His displays of sensitivity and empathy always looked like preening to me. But, obviously, mileage varied and he has the trophies.  

Much later, I did watch West Wing all the way through and really did like the show, without changing my opinion of one of the focal characters. I learned to live with him, but I was more of a Toby Ziegler type.

• Love 7

The sexism and anti-women lines really haven’t held up with The West Wing and Josh was the worst. I wasn’t particularly a Toby fan either because that lovable crank character just bugs me. 

On rewatch, I appreciated Leo so much more. However, I began to despise Lord John Marbury. I wanted to punch that disgusting asshole in the face. “Abigail, may I fondle your breasts.” Seriously? And the president acting like he’s the one who should be offended? Someone should have coshed him over the head with a champagne bottle. 

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

The sexism and anti-women lines really haven’t held up with The West Wing

I'm starting to watch older shows for the first time, or re-watch older ones that I enjoyed, and am constantly amazed at how many things would change if they were made during the Me Too movement. I think Bones is the worst so far--I can barely watch it now when the first time through I thought the first few seasons were fun. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I think Bones is the worst so far--I can barely watch it now when the first time through I thought the first few seasons were fun.

I did this.  And yes, I agree, Bones didn't hold up well for me.  I came away actively disliking both Booth (especially) and Bones.   And honestly it isn't MeToo, I just came away feeling they were just awful people in their workplaces and to other people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2021 at 2:09 PM, Shannon L. said:

I really enjoyed the series until the ending.  Its a very highly rated ending but I don't think I like it. 

20 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I did this.  And yes, I agree, Bones didn't hold up well for me.  I came away actively disliking both Booth (especially) and Bones.   And honestly it isn't MeToo, I just came away feeling they were just awful people in their workplaces and to other people.

I felt that way when I tried watching it in its original run. Don't remember when I gave up, just that I really should have done so much earlier than I did.

• Love 1

I hated Bones. HATED the character of Bones. I hate the way TV shows depict "intelligent" people in general, and she was one of the worst offenders to me (right up there with Sheldon). It's always like a stupid person's imagination of what a genius must be like. (More bashing the writing than the actress here.) 

I also hated Josh in The West Wing, though I tend to like Bradley Whitford. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

As liberal as I am (or like to think I am), I never liked the West Wing in general.

There's a smugness and self-righteousness to a lot of the characters that I found genuinely off-putting, even though I agreed with them on many things.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

The sexism and anti-women lines really haven’t held up with The West Wing and Josh was the worst. 

It just reminds me how low the bar was set for a show to be thought of as being feminist. There are so many instances when the men are so condescending to the women in the guise of being complimentary or supportive. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10

“There are so many instances when the men are so condescending to the women in the guise of being complimentary or supportive.”

Well, it was an Aaron Sorkin joint...

“There's a smugness and self-righteousness to a lot of the characters that I found genuinely off-putting, even though I agreed with them on many things.”

That was one of the reasons for sure.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Zella said:

I hated Bones. HATED the character of Bones. I hate the way TV shows depict "intelligent" people in general, and she was one of the worst offenders to me (right up there with Sheldon). It's always like a stupid person's imagination of what a genius must be like. (More bashing the writing than the actress here.) 

Bones drove me crazy as a character because she made no sense. She would have this whole schtick of not understanding basic human behavior, but then they'd send her out undercover as some silly character with Booth with no suggestion that this was a contradiction. (Not that someone with her job would ever do that anyway, but...)  Also she somehow managed to write novels despite not understanding most natural behavior (with a later suggestion that this worked because Angela wrote the sex scenes...what?).

Also yes, the show had such a dumb idea of what smart was. Like Bones explaining that Zack got sucked into a weird conspiracy theory because conspiracy theories are just so logical and as a very smart person with a flat aspect, Zack did not have emotions (spoiler--no, conspiracy theories are powerful in large part because they appeal to emotion!). Also it's "dumbing down" something to not use highly specific language that nobody outside of a narrow discipline would know.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

At the very beginning, Bones didn't totally suck. Temperance was brilliant but a big blind spot regarding American popular culture because of her background. Then they made her a complete idiot and I couldn't take it any more. I also didn't like any of the supporting characters enough to stick around.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Also yes, the show had such a dumb idea of what smart was. Like Bones explaining that Zack got sucked into a weird conspiracy theory because conspiracy theories are just so logical and as a very smart person with a flat aspect, Zack did not have emotions (spoiler--no, conspiracy theories are powerful in large part because they appeal to emotion!). Also it's "dumbing down" something to not use highly specific language that nobody outside of a narrow discipline would know.

See, that's exactly why I had no sympathy for Zack, and why the writing on Bones kind of sucked; as a previous poster stated, most of the characters were a dumb person's idea of a smart person is like. I'm not saying smart people can't fall prey to conspiracy theories or manipulation, but it was such a bullshit excuse in Zack's case.

I don't think Zack was a victim of anything. I think he was just a vanilla sociopath who was bored with his honest life and wanted to try on crime for size.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

See, that's exactly why I had no sympathy for Zack, and why the writing on Bones kind of sucked; as a previous poster stated, most of the characters were a dumb person's idea of a smart person is like. I'm not saying smart people can't fall prey to conspiracy theories or manipulation, but it was such a bullshit excuse in Zack's case.

I don't think Zack was a victim of anything. I think he was just a vanilla sociopath who was bored with his honest life and wanted to try on crime for size.

Also, even worse was iirc they revealed him as the would-be killer like it was a big surprise and they thought it was a great "twist" because nobody would suspect. Except the reason nobody suspected him was because it was clearly just random. Then after the fact they expect people to accept these weird excuses like having been in Afghanistan or being too logical. Vanilla sociopath would have made more sense. Although of course they then wouldn't have been able to try to make him a woobie later.

11 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I thought the actor must have pissed someone off because it was a terrible, stupid storyline from which there was no coming back. 

Iirc, I think the actor did want to leave because he'd been diagnosed as bipolar and was taking time off as he took care of himself and adjusted. Which does not make it any nicer!

• Love 5

The episode where Zack returns, helps solve a crime (even though I wouldn't trust this psycho to help me move a sofa), and then the gang take him out for dinner instead of tasering him and handing him over to the cops is when I gave up on the show. What a bunch of idiots.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

At the very beginning, Bones didn't totally suck. Temperance was brilliant but a big blind spot regarding American popular culture because of her background. Then they made her a complete idiot and I couldn't take it any more. I also didn't like any of the supporting characters enough to stick around.

Not only did they go what I can only conclude was some sort of attempt at making her some flavor of idiot-savant but they made her soooo condescending.  And then there were the episode that we were supposed to applaud her when she punched someone (in an interrogation room no less) or aided her father in forcibly restraining and smothering someone as an interrogation technique because Booth was in danger.  And Booth was just an out and out thug.

I actually did like the supporting characters a 1000 times more than the main characters. It was usually them and some of the plot that kept me watching during my re-watch.  I liked the revolving interns and their different personalities.  I especially liked Vincent Nigel-Murray.  And I always thought Cam didn't deserve the hate she seemed to get from the fandom at the time.  She actually was the most professional person on the whole damn show.

• Love 6

I gave Bones a solid chance due to residual Angel love but I was done after a few seasons for three reasons:

1) Zack the serial killer apprentice. Now I thought it made perfect sense for Zack to end up as a serial killer so him turning out to be the newest apprentice to...Gorgomon (or whatever they called him) was something I was all in on at first. I saw it as logical character progression and was ready to applaud the show for taking such a step. And then they immediately started to make excuses for Zack's actions and act like he made a little mistake rather than assisting and becoming a cannibal serial killer! It's fine to have them mourn the loss of the friend and colleague they thought they had but come on!

2) Brennan herself. I cannot count how many times I rolled my eyes at Brennan's "I don't believe in love" or "I don't know what that means". I know it was supposed to refer to romantic love but it was rarely specified so it came across as she didn't believe in love period. Except we saw ample evidence that Brennan was capable of love (family, friends, Booth, I assume their kid though I'd stopped watching) so I wish the path they'd taken was that she didn't believe in monogamy or marriage. The "I don't know what that means" was fine on occasion because she didn't know everything and the all knowing character can get boring/annoying very quickly. The show tended to wrap it up into proving her intellectual superiority and that's what annoyed me. I love that scene early on when Booth finds out that Brennan has a Foreigner CD among the music he expected to find (classical pieces it memory serves), puts it on and they start dancing around her living room. It's clear that Brennan thinks she shouldn't like that kind of music and is embarrassed that Booth discovered it before having fun. That's a character beat I can get behind and it would have been nice to see more of that in the episodes I watched. Instead they made it so that anything Brennan didn't know or like was objectively inferior and not worth her time.

3) Brennan's father. This man was a psychopath who set people on fire, and Brennan's team proved that he committed the crimes, yet it was the Zack problem all over again. I remember Booth apologizing for arresting him, the team feels so bad about testifying against him and, when he still gets off, there's a swell of music as everyone watches his reunion with Brennan without any regard to his victims.

• Love 5

Bones pretty much had everything I hate about police procedurals taken to the worst degree. It had serious murder cases solved in a day. It had Riddler style season long villains. It had ridiculous tech and a team where everyone was like world renowned for how awesome at their job they were. Zany tertiary characters everyone in an office romance.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

It just reminds me how low the bar was set for a show to be thought of as being feminist. There are so many instances when the men are so condescending to the women in the guise of being complimentary or supportive. 

I don't believe it was considered feminist when it was on. There was a lot of mainstream media commentary on the demeaning treatment of the female characters while Sorkin's seasons were airing ("Does West Wing Give Women Short Shrift?" was an Entertainment Weekly piece in the third season; their followup several months later was "Does Wing's Sexist Tone Go Too Far?"). It was the same on the internet. Even at the show's early peak, the issue was brought up frequently in the recaps and forums on Television Without Pity.

I would say it's a sterling example of a show that had good and memorable female characters while being problematic in execution. Largely owing to what the actors brought to them, I'm still very fond of (to name a few) CJ, Abigail, and Joey Lucas. And to give credit where due, the writing for them wasn't entirely obstacles. I can understand why Joey is one of Marlee Matlin's favorites of the roles she's played. (Her comments from a retrospective last year: "All the years before West Wing, I would always play deaf victims or sympathetic characters, or talked about being deaf and the sign language and it got so old. But when the show came into my life, I thought, 'Wait a minute, how is he going to write this? Joey Lucas is a pollster. In the history of television, there’s never been a deaf pollster.' And he just happened to make her deaf and he was willing to think outside the box. And that’s what I loved about that character. For the [rest of my time on the show] there was never a discussion in the script why my character was deaf, why she did what she did. It was just who she was.")

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Bones pretty much had everything I had about police procedurals taken to the worst degree. It had serious murder cases solved in a day. It had Riddler style season long villains. It had ridiculous tech and a team where everyone was like world renowned for how awesome at their job they were. Zany tertiary characters everyone in an office romance.

Ugh. I remember they had that one guy that came back a bunch of times I think who was one of those "all-knowing" villains whose always magically figured out everything and likes teasing everyone for a season. He's supposed to be scary but you just want to shoot him in the face. He stole all of the rich guy's money and apparently this was totally a thing he could do with a computer and, like, no bank could or whatever could go back in and undo it. I know that's the sort of thing that plays well on Mr. Robot where they spread the money out to the people, but it just seemed unlikely you could steal every penny from a giant rich foundation that had been around for generations and there was literally nothing the guy could do about it (except invent something to make himself rich again overnight.) 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Zella said:

12 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Bones drove me crazy as a character because she made no sense. She would have this whole schtick of not understanding basic human behavior, but then they'd send her out undercover as some silly character with Booth with no suggestion that this was a contradiction. (Not that someone with her job would ever do that anyway, but...)  Also she somehow managed to write novels despite not understanding most natural behavior (with a later suggestion that this worked because Angela wrote the sex scenes...what?).

That's what I hated about her. She made no sense. It was hard to imagine how she made it through life when she knew and understood nothing about humans. Or life. She was a bitch to pretty much everyone. And a joykill. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hang out with her.     

I didn't like the first episode when Bones breaks into the suspect's house to find evidence that he committed the crime, gets caught and the suspect goes to jail. Ah, no Bones should be going to jail for breaking and entering. Any evidence she found would be thrown out because of her illegal actions. Nope, Booth and the show acts like she did the right thing. Ah, what?

• Love 10

I don't miss Anna Faris on Mom. I thought I would but I don't. And I say this as an Ana Faris fan. Although with it being announced this is the final season I do hope she comes back for the final episode. 

I also don't miss America Ferrera on Superstore.  The show isn't as funny this season but I don't think that has anything to do with her absence.  

• Love 4
On 2/18/2021 at 10:30 AM, ifionlyknew said:

I don't miss Anna Faris on Mom. I thought I would but I don't. And I say this as an Ana Faris fan. Although with it being announced this is the final season I do hope she comes back for the final episode. 

I also don't miss America Ferrera on Superstore.  The show isn't as funny this season but I don't think that has anything to do with her absence.  

Interesting perspectives. I thought both of those shows revolved around those two women. IMO when an established main character leaves a show, it really loses something. But I haven't watched either show this season, so my opinion means nothing in this case. LOL. 

51 minutes ago, topanga said:

Interesting perspectives. I thought both of those shows revolved around those two women. IMO when an established main character leaves a show, it really loses something. But I haven't watched either show this season, so my opinion means nothing in this case. LOL. 

I have never watched Mom. 

But the way Superstore is written and structured, it doesn't need really need Amy to work in my opinion. I think the store itself  has become the main 'character'.  Also Amy is written as the straight-man to everyone else.  All the other characters are written with personalities that have the more comedic character quirks and tend to pop more from a comedy perspective.  So I agree with the OP.   In my opinion, I'd miss Dina way more than I'd miss Amy.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

But the way Superstore is written and structured, it doesn't need really need Amy to work in my opinion. I think the store itself  has become the main 'character'.  Also Amy is written as the straight-man to everyone else.  All the other characters are written with personalities that have the more comedic character quirks and tend to pop more from a comedy perspective.  So I agree with the OP.   In my opinion, I'd miss Dina way more than I'd miss Amy.

The only thing I miss about Amy is her revolving selection of nametags.  I wish I would have thought of that when I worked retail.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I never cared much for amy and I think she and Noah were a horrible couple with zero chemistry.  I dont miss her at all. 

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎19‎/‎2021 at 2:02 PM, topanga said:

I think this season of Mom is funnier without Anna Faris.  That's probably because her character was always the least interesting to me to begin with.

• Love 2
On 2/12/2021 at 11:04 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Now that the whispers of "what an asshole Joss Whedon is" are now shouts, I feel more vindicated than ever in my hatred of the (IMO) obnoxiously overrated Firefly.

I enjoyed Firefly but didn't think it was as great as the fandom thinks. 

On 2/17/2021 at 12:32 PM, Hiyo said:

As liberal as I am (or like to think I am), I never liked the West Wing in general.

I never liked it. I saw the first ep and it was obviously going to be a liberal Hollywood wet dream.

• Love 6