Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Haleth said:

Demelza deserved someone better than Ross.

Yeah, but the sad thing is that, in that time and place, he was considered 'above' her station (virtually the ultimate catch) due to him having married her to give their impending child his prominent surname. Yes, far better than him just shrugging his shoulders and letting her hold the bag while the whole town gossiped about the paternity. However, for him to somehow keep pining for the rather fickle and, frankly, untrustworthy Elizabeth to the point of actually cheating with her was unquestionably despicable on both their parts (even if her 2nd husband was a creep). I felt sorry for their son who was known to be the product of adultery and that his mother was SO obsessive about her own rep that she needlessly put her daughter (by the 2nd husband) in mortal danger and ultimately herself by taking that 'medicine' to have the baby born early to 'prove' that the disputed son came via a quick pregnancy. Yes,the baby  girl survived but Elizabeth herself died leaving her three children (the firstborn son by her first husband- Ross's dead cousin) motherless. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

At least Ross didn't set up Demelza to be raped, as George did. 

I'm not at all familiar with the show you guys are discussing, but I think the bar needs to be a bit higher than that.

• Love 2

I'm not interested in seeing Charlie Cox play some small Matt Murdock or Daredevil part in someone else's Marvel movie. The Punisher or Kingpin from his Netflix show can be used in some small supporting role.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, but the sad thing is that, in that time and place, he was considered 'above' her station (virtually the ultimate catch) due to him having married her to give their impending child his prominent surname. Yes, far better than him just shrugging his shoulders and letting her hold the bag while the whole town gossiped about the paternity. However, for him to somehow keep pining for the rather fickle and, frankly, untrustworthy Elizabeth to the point of actually cheating with her was unquestionably despicable on both their parts (even if her 2nd husband was a creep). I felt sorry for their son who was known to be the product of adultery and that his mother was SO obsessive about her own rep that she needlessly put her daughter (by the 2nd husband) in mortal danger and ultimately herself by taking that 'medicine' to have the baby born early to 'prove' that the disputed son came via a quick pregnancy. Yes,the baby  girl survived but Elizabeth herself died leaving her three children (the firstborn son by her first husband- Ross's dead cousin) motherless. 

Is this about Demelza and Ross' first time? I don't think she got pregnant, but I think with Ross, he was aware enough that it was wrong to deflower someone with that much of a power imbalance. (Demelza was aware of this too, that is why she tried to walk back home). I don't know if Ross was in love with Demelza when he married her, but he didn't want to let her go,  so the "noble" thing to do was marry her, thereby making her more of an equal to himself with the added bonus of shocking the upper class who he seemed to despise.

I will give the show this; while other shows justify some of their leads cheating on spouses for one reason or another (Don Draper), even while deriding others (Pete Campbell, someone even called Don Draper's cheating "classier" than Pete's), the show made it clear that it wasn't okay no matter the bond between Elizabeth and Ross. It even made the small caveat that Ross wasn't morally better than his enemies.

• Love 4

I quit watching Poldark for a while after Ross raped Elizabeth.  It infuriated me that he would betray both women in his life that way.  Eventually I did watch the rest of the series but my dislike for Ross never went away.  Here he was married to spirited, fiery Demelza who more than once got him out of trouble, yet he still yearned for insipid, fragile Elizabeth.  Jerk.

• Love 4
On 12/12/2020 at 7:34 AM, Blergh said:

Yeah, but the sad thing is that, in that time and place, he was considered 'above' her station (virtually the ultimate catch) due to him having married her to give their impending child his prominent surname. 

That only happened in the 1970s adaptation, which invented Demelza's pregnancy as a reason for Ross to marry her (not to give the child his surname but to make it legitimate, because that's what mattered in that society). In the original novel, she is not pregnant when he marries her, the pregnancy comes later, and the 2015 adaptation was faithful to that aspect of their story. Ross marries her because he thinks it is the right thing to do, having allowed her to seduce him, and because he is lonely and wants companionship, and she is already essentially running his entire household anyway, has become one of the most important people in his life almost without him noticing. Then having married her, thus elevating her station and having to treat her accordingly, that's when he falls in love with her. It's practically the one character detail from the novel that the 2015 adaptation is truly faithful to.

I agree that in general the 2015 adaptation is pretty awful. Nearly all the characters come out of it looking bad, their stories got so chopped up and distorted. Twisting everything to try to make Ross always the heroic focus did him no favours at all. Read the books instead!

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I have no problems with reboots. In fact, there have been several that I am enjoying A LOT: Saved By the Bell, Party of Five, One Day at a Time, The Babysitters Club, Cobra Kai. And even if one sucks, it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the original series.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I enjoy watching shows like House Hunters and others and I have no desire to care how they can afford the home, what they do for a living, where their money comes from or any of it.  I'm just there to see the houses.

That's why I watch House Hunters International, although I do enjoy hearing their surprise that Parisian bathrooms and kitchens are so small and that there is a washing machine in the kitchen.Insert other media

• Love 6

I rented a house once upon a time that had the washer and dryer hookups in the kitchen.  There was no other place to put them -- the house didn't have a basement, only a very creepy crawlspace where the fusebox was.  When a fuse had to be replaced, I actually hired someone to come do it for me, that space was so creepy.  Plus, fusebox.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I enjoy watching shows like House Hunters and others and I have no desire to care how they can afford the home, what they do for a living, where their money comes from or any of it.  I'm just there to see the houses.

I caught a show the other day that might have been a pilot, something about mansions hosted by Clinton Kelly.  The young couple in CA were looking for a $million+ home and I thought I'd hate them just from their entitlement, but it turns out they were pretty cool.  They didn't nitpick any of the homes (de rigueur for HH) and their banter with Clinton had me laughing out loud.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 9:16 AM, Browncoat said:

I rented a house once upon a time that had the washer and dryer hookups in the kitchen.  There was no other place to put them -- the house didn't have a basement, only a very creepy crawlspace where the fusebox was.  When a fuse had to be replaced, I actually hired someone to come do it for me, that space was so creepy.  Plus, fusebox.

That's not particularly unusual, even in the US.

I only watch HHI for the scenery.  Most of the time I find the house hunters so annoying that I put the tv on mute.  But I suspect that's not an unpopular opinion.

• Love 6

Just ONCE I'd like a house hunter (on the air)  to specifically request a one-bedroom/no guest room house 'so any out of town folks visiting me would have to stay in a hotel instead of with me. I HATE hosting houseguests!' 

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 10
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

rsz_132323830.jpg

If this that true that’s so messed up because my husband is working and I am not (and haven’t been because of COVID) but we’re not getting another stimulus check and we are not well off, just basic middle class. I don’t have a problem not getting $600 because there are far too many that need that more than we do, but this is crap.

we donated 80% of our first stimulus money because we could do without but others needed it to survive.....

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

If this that true that’s so messed up because my husband is working and I am not (and haven’t been because of COVID)

I think it's a snark on the show House Hunters who will have a couple whose stated professions are something like a first grade teacher and barista and yet have a house hunting budget of one million dollars in Knoxville, TN.  And it will leave viewers scratching their heads because something is clearly missing. So that show incorporating a stimulus check would be something like "Our budget is 500,000 but with these checks, I think we could go up to 600,000."  Which is again the kind of ridiculousness it would try to pull because the math doesn't add up.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think it's a snark on the show House Hunters who will have a couple whose stated professions are something like a first grade teacher and barista and yet have a house hunting budget of one million dollars in Knoxville, TN.  And it will leave viewers scratching their heads because something is clearly missing. So that show incorporating a stimulus check would be something like "Our budget is 500,000 but with these checks, I think we could go up to 600,000."  Which is again the kind of ridiculousness it would try to pull because the math doesn't add up.

Yes, it's a snarky meme pointing out the things that you mentioned in regards to budget that never make sense. It's frustrating because the show didn't start out that way, It seemed pretty normal even though it was staged when Suzanne Whang hosted. II liked her and was sad when she died because she came across as a nice person whenever I saw her on TV be it acting or interviewed.  The changes for the worse seemed to start after HH went hostless. There are probably a lot of viewers out there that don't even know the show had a host at one time. That was also before HGTV became flipping central.

I quit watching HH awhile after the couples started to want granite countertops and stainless steel appliances during pretty much every episode. I don't want to think about what additional list of requirements are now.

• Love 7

I have a few UOs

Community- I didn't care for the paintball episodes. Didn't like Jeff, chang, dean and Britta. Season 4 was alright. Season 5 was super meh and season 6 was painful to sit through.

Parks&Rec- Giving Jerry a good home life doesn't justify bullying him at work. Don't know what the makers were thinking. There were very few times when liked I liked april. Most of the time she was just annoying and I never understood why everyone bend over backwards for her.

OUAT- I liked Neal. Wasn't a fan of hookswan. Charmings became more and more annoying as the seasons progressed. Especially snow. I didn't hate the frozen arc. 

The good place- I didn't find the show funny. Didn't like the four main characters. Especially Eleanor. Tahani did grow on me by s3 but the rest of them were still annoying. The plot was interesting though. But still couldn't watch s4.

Friends- I don't hate Ross. 

• Love 6

I like the good place but season 4 wasn't that funny.  The ending was good, but again not funny.  

And ongoing pet peeves I've mentioned before, I liked the flight attendant but it's not at all a dark comedy as it was promoted.  Or a comedy at all.  I hate when they promote, or even give comedy awards, to shows that don't have much comedy.   Even some shows I like.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, JimmyJabloon said:

Parks&Rec- Giving Jerry a good home life doesn't justify bullying him at work. Don't know what the makers were thinking. There were very few times when liked I liked april. Most of the time she was just annoying and I never understood why everyone bend over backwards for her.

While I did love Parks and Rec I HATED how Jerry was treated by the others. I hated Tom the  most, followed by April, even though my friends (who are basically like Ron and Leslie) say I am most like April. 

My OUAT uo is that I hated Emma with the fire of a thousand suns. Absolutely loathed her (it could be because I can't stand Jennifer Morrison whom I just find to be slightly less bland than dishwater). I also despise that they made the deliciously evil Rumple into the Beast and then tried to neuter him into a love interest. BLECH! A show with so much promise went downhill really fast under the weight of its own fandom (not just outside fans, but the fans who were writing the show tanked it royally).

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I quit watching HH awhile after the couples started to want granite countertops and stainless steel appliances during pretty much every episode. I don't want to think about what additional list of requirements are now.

Hardwood floors, open floor plan (HHs hate walls and doors like they were poison), lots of closet space (for the woman; this storyline is reserved for heterosexual couples), and "good for entertaining".  There are other tiresome tropes they rotate through, but add those to yours and you have the wish list that appears in pretty much every damn episode, even where their budget and the location makes that utterly ridiculous on top of boringly repetitive.  Which is why I hardly ever watch it; peeking in the houses is not just worth putting up with the people.  (And, no, I do not care if they're actually entitled dimwits or just agreeing to follow along with the producer's story in which they play the role of entitled dimwits.)

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

We have an open floor plan and I love it (but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means), but I hate our stainless steel appliances.  Three things I will never, ever get again are stainless steel appliances, white tile and glass shower doors.  I haven't watched HH in a long time, but I'm assuming they just have to have at least 2 bathrooms and a guest room, right? Please--when I was growing up in a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house and family wanted to visit, they could stay in a hotel or sleep on couches and air mattresses and wait in line for the bathroom (which was done most frequently because it saved a lot of money).

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

We have an open floor plan and I love it (but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means), but I hate our stainless steel appliances.  Three things I will never, ever get again are stainless steel appliances, white tile and glass shower doors.  I haven't watched HH in a long time, but I'm assuming they just have to have at least 2 bathrooms and a guest room, right? Please--when I was growing up in a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house and family wanted to visit, they could stay in a hotel or sleep on couches and air mattresses and wait in line for the bathroom (which was done most frequently because it saved a lot of money).

I personally hate granite or quartz countertops. If I ever move, I want porcelain countertops. 

I was always creeped out by Richard & Monica in Friends and DCAU Batman/Bruce Wayne & Batgirl/Barbara Gordon. Not just the age difference, but also because Richard was friends with Monica's dad and knew Monica since she was a child. 

With Bruce & Barbara, Barbara used to date his surrogate son, Dick Grayson. I appreciate a lot of the DCAU, I but hated that and think it was one of those creative decisions where took it too far to be more "mature," but I think they were just more "adult" which doesn't always mean the storytelling is mature. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I personally hate granite or quartz countertops. If I ever move, I want porcelain countertops. 

I was always creeped out by Richard & Monica in Friends and DCAU Batman/Bruce Wayne & Batgirl/Barbara Gordon. Not just the age difference, but also because Richard was friends with Monica's dad and knew Monica since she was a child. 

You know, I happened to see some Richard eps recently and I thought wow, there's just nothing to this guy. I think they just relied on Tom Selleck to sell the audience on how great he was supposed to be. I mean, he was fine, but that's the thing. It was like they took this situation that had all these problems, and then carefully cut away everything about the guy that would be the relationship a problem. And you were left with somebody who just wasn't an actual person. He was just constantly blandly low-key charming and agreeable, with no problem ever arising from his kids being older than Monica, her parents being his friends, them being from different generations. 

20 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

With Bruce & Barbara, Barbara used to date his surrogate son, Dick Grayson. I appreciate a lot of the DCAU, I but hated that and think it was one of those creative decisions where took it too far to be more "mature," but I think they were just more "adult" which doesn't always mean the storytelling is mature. 

Totally agree. Blech.

• Love 6
On 12/6/2020 at 1:47 PM, partofme said:

I haven’t seen it since I was very young but I always loved the Christmas on Sesame Street movie that used to air every year where Big Bird would stay up all night to wait for Santa.  I doubt they air it anymore as it was pre Elmo.  

That's EXACTLY why I'd want it to air again ! I don't care how many fans he's had or how the show's ratings have been since he joined, IMO  Elmo is absolutely grating and annoying!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 13

Another Batman Beyond opinion. I hated the reveal that Terry McGunis was Bruce's biological son in Justice League Unlimited. Fucking hated it. Hated more than Bruce and Barbara dating. Here is the thing: I believe it was the whole plan all along for Batman Beyond. I thought Amanda Waller's reasons and methods for doing it were flimsy at best. Terry's parents somehow had the same psychological profile as Bruce's parents, despite the fact that the McGinnises were clearly middle class, and Waynes were not and money was a huge factor in Bruce turning into Batman. Did they also see if they had a housekeeper with the same profile as Alfred? What the hell? I was fine with Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker as the final Batman Beyond in televised media

Occasionally, someone will make the case for something I hate being a good thing and I will think, you know what, they have a point. Not this time. Some people argue it drove home the themes of finding your own destiny and what not and it included Amanda Waller, who is a great character, but for me it is one of those times when pushing general themes overtook coherent storytelling.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, tribeca said:

Family all loved the Mickey Mouse one 😀

UO 

Toby from the office is not the strangler 

"You miserable miser consumed by greed." -- a quote from the Mickey Christmas Carol lest someone thinks I'm being mean.

I totally agree about Toby.  If he were a successful serial killer, Jim would be dead.  Maybe Michael, also.

• Love 5

my favorite exchange in the Muppet Christmas Carol-

“Boy, that's scary stuff! Should we be worried about the kids in the audience?”

”Nah, it’s all right.  This is culture!”

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 12/23/2020 at 1:00 PM, Blergh said:

Just ONCE I'd like a house hunter (on the air)  to specifically request a one-bedroom/no guest room house 'so any out of town folks visiting me would have to stay in a hotel instead of with me. I HATE hosting houseguests!' 

hahahaha, so much this!! I moved into a small house and I love that I no longer have to host holiday dinners! Truly the only time we can entertain family and friends is in the summer when we can use the patio area since we don't have enough room in the house! Easy-peasey! 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I like the Drew Barrymore Show. I know people rip on her on the forum for trying too hard but I find it fun. And I love her dogs.

Piggy-backing off of this, if you put a gun to my face and made me choose, I will take a performer who tries "too hard" over one who's a boring, unemotional, apathetic lump any day of the week.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Piggy-backing off of this, if you put a gun to my face and made me choose, I will take a performer who tries "too hard" over one who's a boring, unemotional, apathetic lump any day of the week.

Yes I enjoy someone who enjoys what they are doing rather than someone who is just showing up for a paycheck *cough Whoopi Goldberg cough* .

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yes I enjoy someone who enjoys what they are doing rather than someone who is just showing up for a paycheck *cough Whoopi Goldberg cough* .

When Miss Goldberg had her own self-titled syndicated interview show  from 1992-1993, she was quite verbose, articulate, engaging and witty to a wide variety of guests with many different viewpoints. I didn't always agree with her or her guests' stances (and, yes, sometimes the show got raunchier than I'd have liked) but one could see how she had used her wits to somehow rise above incredible odds to become a top tier comedian and entertainer. 

If someone had told me that  some 20 years later she'd become this intolerant, close-minded, churlish, sulky and, frankly, dull lump coasting on the fumes of her onetime brilliance and entertainment clout who   seems to feel  having to drag herself out of bed to actually speak is a major sacrifice, I'd have asked what they were smoking. But here we are!

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
On 12/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, Shannon L. said:

Yeah, I'm not too good to sleep on someone's couch and change in the bathroom. I don't like open floor plans and I also don't understand why these people always act like they have parties or overnight guests every weekend. Two bathrooms is legit, though, if you have a husband who is always pooping when you have to get ready for work and doesn't let people in the bathroom when he's using it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 1/5/2021 at 4:14 PM, janie jones said:

Yeah, I'm not too good to sleep on someone's couch and change in the bathroom. I don't like open floor plans and I also don't understand why these people always act like they have parties or overnight guests every weekend. Two bathrooms is legit, though, if you have a husband who is always pooping when you have to get ready for work and doesn't let people in the bathroom when he's using it.

@janie jones, are you married to my husband? We have one bathroom as well, and if he has to use it, trust me, it's more secure than Fort Knox. Wth dude, I've seen all your parts! Our next house will have 2 bathrooms.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:50 PM, Blergh said:

If someone had told me that  some 20 years later she'd become this intolerant, close-minded, churlish, sulky and, frankly, dull lump coasting on the fumes of her onetime brilliance and entertainment clout who

I wonder if even movie stars are like normal people as they age. I am by know means a crotchedly old lady yet but I do feel that I have less tolerance for the bullshit stuff nowadays. Although I ain't getting paid $$$ to host a national TV show because if I was I sure as hell would fake some enthusiasm! 😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

@janie jones, are you married to my husband? We have one bathroom as well, and if he has to use it, trust me, it's more secure than Fort Knox. Wth dude, I've seen all your parts! Our next house will have 2 bathrooms.

I mean, he's just sitting there. I can understand not wanting someone to linger, but at least let me come in and get my dang toothbrush so I can brush my teeth elsewhere.

• Love 1

@janie jones you ARE married to my husband!! All I wanted was my damn toothbrush since his bowels apparently need 45 minutes to empty and I needed to, you know, GO TO WORK! Lol! We have the same discussion every time:  "I don't want to sit in your lap big guy, I just want to get my **insert small item that will only take 2 seconds to grab**." Good lord, the faster I get out when he's doing his business the better! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I'm finding that I like skill-based games like Forged In Fire, Ultimate Beastmaster, American Ninja Warrior and even sillier ones like Man vs. Bear and Floor Is Lava, which employ pass/fail criteria to win. If the thing you make doesn't pass technical inspection or survive tests applied equally to all contestants' entries (FIF) or you fail to conquer exactly the same obstacles following exactly the same rules as the other contestants, you lose.

The other type of game, where you could lose because a judge doesn't like the color of your buttercream or your artistic vision isn't bad but it just isn't what he/she personally would do, is more frustrating to watch. These are the cooking competitions and anything to do with body adornment like Face Off, Next in Fashion, or Glow Up.

YMMV, but now unless I'm up for the food porn or the pretty colors, I pass on the second type. Unless it's Nailed It!. I'll always watch that.

• Love 2

Nate Fisher from Six Feet Under was a piece of shit from start to finish and its extremely concerning how a large number of SFU fans sympathised with him. Also, he was my least favourite character out of the entire cast.

Netflix has some of the worst tv shows I have ever seen and have become so formulaic, you can almost tell when a show was made by Netflix.

• Love 5