Type keyword(s) to search

Brain Bleed: The Shows We Hate & The Reasons We Hate Them

• Start Topic

I'm utterly bemused at the rabid following that The Walking Dead has. Is it just because people love zombies (for reasons I have never understood)? Because it sure as hell can't be that they love the characters on the show.

I managed to slog through the first two seasons, ages ago, but it was interminable. Everyone is a complete dick, except for the Asian guy. Even Andrew Lincoln, who I've always liked, is dreadful. It depresses me that an actor as witty and charming as him is saddled with a role that requires no more than looking depressed and shooting extras covered in prosthetics. 

People talk about it creating obsessions and addictions? For me, it was an absolute chore.

• Love 3

I'm utterly bemused at the rabid following that The Walking Dead has. Is it just because people love zombies (for reasons I have never understood)? Because it sure as hell can't be that they love the characters on the show.

<Raises hand.>  LOL

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I'm utterly bemused at the rabid following that The Walking Dead has. Is it just because people love zombies (for reasons I have never understood)? Because it sure as hell can't be that they love the characters on the show.

I managed to slog through the first two seasons, ages ago, but it was interminable. Everyone is a complete dick, except for the Asian guy. Even Andrew Lincoln, who I've always liked, is dreadful. It depresses me that an actor as witty and charming as him is saddled with a role that requires no more than looking depressed and shooting extras covered in prosthetics. 

People talk about it creating obsessions and addictions? For me, it was an absolute chore.

I only watched the first season, I did like some of the characters--although, I don't need a character to be likable for me to like them--but found the show completely and utterly boring. I remember when I finally finished the first season thinking one season was enough for me and besides, the show wouldn't be long for the world; obviously I know nothing! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I have canceled The Walking Dead but I genuinely do love the main group of characters who are affectionately known as Camp Dinner Bell. For me, it has been headed in a direction that I do not like for some time now. The current villain and his group of folks are the ones that cemented my leaving.

• Love 2

Suits

The entire concept of the show is ridiculous, because the second anyone finds out, and there was no way that someone wasn't going to find out, every single case the firm handled would be under scrutiny, and any verdict on one of their cases would be automatically suspect.  Mike's working as a lawyer for the firm without a law degree, never mind passing the bar, would bring the integrity of the entire firm into question.  Working in the court system, I just couldn't with this premise.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Suits

The entire concept of the show is ridiculous, because the second anyone finds out, and there was no way that someone wasn't going to find out, every single case the firm handled would be under scrutiny, and any verdict on one of their cases would be automatically suspect.  Mike's working as a lawyer for the firm without a law degree, never mind passing the bar, would bring the integrity of the entire firm into question.  Working in the court system, I just couldn't with this premise.

I started watching the first episode, saw that the 'hero' was helping people cheat on exams (sitting the exam for them) and I bailed immediately.

• Love 2

I don't mind the concept of "good" people doing "bad" things to survive if it is done well and it makes sense in the concept of the world the characters are living in.  For the most part the American version of Shameless did a decent job of this but the last few season less so.  I actually wouldn't have minded if it had ended with this past season and I just might pretend it did.   

• Love 2
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Suits

I made it through one half of the first episode.  Archeryhubby, also a lawyer (but lapsed) was like, "you made it all the way to halfway??  Wow."  My final straw was the notion that non-lawyer dude is holding a motion to dismiss that just got filed because he sent a subpoena for records with no factual basis and he needs the paralegal's help to prepare for the hearing -- tomorrow.  OMG!! It's a subpoena! It's not supposed to have a factual basis! That's why they call it DISCOVERY!!  It's not a search warrant! It doesn't need probable cause or any basis!  And you get time to respond in writing!! And you wouldn't have a hearing on it the day after it's filed!  AND YOU'RE NOT A LAWYER ANYWAY!! 

Rage.  I can't even hate-watch it. It would be rage-watching, and that's not healthy for anyone. 

(Plus, hubby and I agreed that Suits is the definition of "white male privilege" in every way.  Nobody would put up with ANY of that behavior from a member of any other group. There's a whole thesaurus of terms that would get thrown around.  Rage. 

• Love 6

Sleepy Hollow got dropped after the season 3 finale. I love Tom Mison, but no Abbie Mills is a deal breaker.

I have a irrational hatred toward the season 4 promos. I cannot stand what they did to Abbie's character (and possibly, to Nicole). And I want to throw something at the TV when it is a Jenny-focused promo. It's so "Abbie may be gone...but y'all still have Jenny! That's good enough amirite?!"  No, no its not.  That's like paying to see Beyonce, and getting Solange instead. Nothing wrong with the Other Sister whose great in her own right, but we want Abbie. Not Jenny.

• Love 10
On 11/23/2016 at 7:29 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

Holy shit I feel stupid.  Until this minute that I read your post and then looked it up on IMDB - I did not even realize that I was watching two different actors.  

Hey don't feel dumb I only know because of my teenager. LOL. We were watching Warehouse 13 & she asked if Jinks & Iceman from X-Men were the same guy & then Googled it & educated me on the twins careers. I still get their names mixed up, but the Ashmore in WH13 & now on Killjoys tends to be my favorite, although any  actor who has been on Fringe automatically gets a little love from me. 

And the only reason I know is because I was a Veronica Mars junkie, and one of the Ashmore twins played Troy in Season 1. There was a big discussion on TWOP comparing him to his brother, who was in the X-Men movies. Just don't ask me which is which. Or even what their first names are.

On 11/24/2016 at 0:09 AM, Snipsa said:

Another show I've tried to like a number of times is The Sopranos.  It's just too longwinded and never seems to reach any conclusions (at least none that stick). I've watched the start of the first season probably 4 times by now, but just can't get into it enough to continue for the long haul.

I never watched the Sopranos, but I know what it's like to try a show more than once.  And I can't think of a time I was ho-hum about a show initially then grew to love it. Pilots usually aren't flawless, but when a show grabs me, it grabs me. When it doesn't, it never will. Designated Survivor had a great premise, but I quit it after 3 episodes--it just didn't grab me.  Atlanta has a great premise and a diverse cast, but it just didn't grab me. And I feel guilty about that because I always try to support shows about people of color since there are so few of them. 

In contrast, the shows that did grab me right away?* Veronica Mars, Castle, Game of Thrones, Homeland, This is Us, Pitch, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Sleepy Hollow. Some of these I later grew to hate (Castle, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Sleepy Hollow), but that was more a function of bad writing than the show's premise or its characters. 

*ETA: Orphan Black and The Americans also grabbed me right away. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I have a irrational hatred toward the season 4 promos. I cannot stand what they did to Abbie's character (and possibly, to Nicole). And I want to throw something at the TV when it is a Jenny-focused promo. It's so "Abbie may be gone...but y'all still have Jenny! That's good enough amirite?!"  No, no its not.  That's like paying to see Beyonce, and getting Solange instead. Nothing wrong with the Other Sister whose great in her own right, but we want Abbie. Not Jenny.

I haven't seen any promos (guess I haven't been watching FOX much) but saw this was starting on Friday.  No Abbie isn't necessarily a deal-breaker for me, so I'm willing to give season 4 a shot, but it will have to convince me to keep watching pretty quickly.  Despite the Tom Mison pretty.

• Love 1

Sleepy Hollow. I really hate what was done to a show that was so promising. I was intrigued by the show in the beginning because it is in the genre of shows I like to watch and it had a woman as one of the main characters and a black woman at that. I loved the first season and Abbie was the kind of character that I'm drawn to, introverted and reserved, she reminded me of a couple of my favorite characters, Colleen McMurphy from China Beach and Dana Scully from the X-Files. I loved the friendship between her and Crane and the respect that he had for her. Then they decided that season two would focus on CFD and an actress that was not very good and had no chemistry with TM. I stuck with the show though because of my love for Abbie and then they kill her off.  I'm not that much of a shipper and I didn't even ship Crane/Abbie until close to the end, they had such great chemistry and TM was definitely playing it like he was in love with her. So it's not the shipper thing that will keep me from watching season four but Abbie being gone is a deal breaker for me as she was my main interest in this show. I don't think I've ever seen a show start out so great and then just totally ignore what worked and crash and burn like this show did. More than hate though, it just makes me sad.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Sleepy Hollow. I really hate what was done to a show that was so promising. I was intrigued by the show in the beginning because it is in the genre of shows I like to watch and it had a woman as one of the main characters and a black woman at that. I loved the first season and Abbie was the kind of character that I'm drawn to, introverted and reserved, she reminded me of a couple of my favorite characters, Colleen McMurphy from China Beach and Dana Scully from the X-Files. I loved the friendship between her and Crane and the respect that he had for her.

And that's why Sleepy Hollow doesn't exist for me anymore.  They started off with a great premise and then fucked it up.  Nobody but a true asshole does shit like that.  That's like getting a great job and then coming in drunk every day and getting fired.  Only an asshole does that, so for that reason, I'm not watching that asshole show. 

• Love 10
On 1/5/2017 at 11:52 AM, Archery said:

I made it through one half of the first episode.  Archeryhubby, also a lawyer (but lapsed) was like, "you made it all the way to halfway??  Wow."  My final straw was the notion that non-lawyer dude is holding a motion to dismiss that just got filed because he sent a subpoena for records with no factual basis and he needs the paralegal's help to prepare for the hearing -- tomorrow.  OMG!! It's a subpoena! It's not supposed to have a factual basis! That's why they call it DISCOVERY!!  It's not a search warrant! It doesn't need probable cause or any basis!  And you get time to respond in writing!! And you wouldn't have a hearing on it the day after it's filed!  AND YOU'RE NOT A LAWYER ANYWAY!! 

Rage.  I can't even hate-watch it. It would be rage-watching, and that's not healthy for anyone. 

(Plus, hubby and I agreed that Suits is the definition of "white male privilege" in every way.  Nobody would put up with ANY of that behavior from a member of any other group. There's a whole thesaurus of terms that would get thrown around.  Rage. 

This is me. Except from the other side. I'm a paralegal, and NO FUCKING WAY, no matter how many years he/she has been with a firm, would a Paralegal get a corner/window office, while an associate (even if he wasn't really an associate, but the firm thought he was) get stuck in the cubicles. It's the other way around, folks. Plus everything that Archery and @proserpina65 said. I'm very good at suspending disbelief, but this show was waaaay beyond the pale and I just couldn't. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

In case anyone else is confused the Bye, Bye, Bye - Shows that YOU Canceled thread was one of the ones merged into this one. Going through my deleted emails and clicking on the notification links to see where the links for threads that seem to be missing are taking me.

Hi folks,

In an attempt to make Everything Else more navigable, we have combined several related "Disliked Shows" topics (ex: Shows You Cancelled, Shows You Don't Watch But Hate Anyway) into this "Shows We Hate" topic.  

Your Friendly EETV Mods

• Love 4
On 1/4/2017 at 9:46 AM, Enigma X said:

I have canceled The Walking Dead but I genuinely do love the main group of characters who are affectionately known as Camp Dinner Bell. For me, it has been headed in a direction that I do not like for some time now. The current villain and his group of folks are the ones that cemented my leaving.

Same here. I got frustrated with the constant splitting of CDB, because one of my favorite parts of the show was seeing them interact. I still liked a lot of the characters but the show became unwatchable. I quit in the middle of this last season, actually in the middle of an episode.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I quit ... in the middle of an episode.

That's hard core!

Like most of the world, I've never been a Neilsen family, but now that DVRs track everything, I like to think I'm making my own spiteful point every time I angrily fast-forward or delete a season pass. Take that, show that has disappointed me!

• Love 4

My guess is that any "professional" show people on that profession have an overwhelming hatred for that show,  My cousin is in the FBI  an d she just can't with Quantico and Criminal Minds,  (Especially Quantico).

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

My guess is that any "professional" show people on that profession have an overwhelming hatred for that show,  My cousin is in the FBI  an d she just can't with Quantico and Criminal Minds,  (Especially Quantico).

I don't work within the FBI, and even I was tearing my hair out at the ridonkulousness of the show. I lasted maybe three episodes before I stopped watching.

• Love 2

I made it through about 30 minutes of Taboo before I had to tap out.  My first introduction to Tom Hardy was on Peaky Blinders, where I thought he was incredible and stole every scene he was in, so I wanted to check this show out because of him and because the Peaky Blinders creator worked on it too.  Bad idea.  Granted, I didn't finish the episode, but there wasn't a single thing I liked about what I saw.

2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I was on/off on Quantico 3 or 4 times before finally deciding not to start.  From the promos it was clearly going to have an FBI candidate class composed entirely of ethnically balanced, roughly same age, roughly same heights, and consistently too pretty people.  And the makeup was always going to be flawless.  I am smiling right now thinking of how many mnutes of my life that saved (which are now being spent bingeing Prison Break for the first time before season 5 airs).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I don't automatically hate law enforcement/government/legal shows, even though I've spent more than two decades in the field.  Sometimes shows try to get it as right as possible, within the constraints of the show.  Law and Order, for example, is kind of ridic with its time frames, or the idea that prosecutors only work on one case at a time.  But the basics, they get.  Legal issues are actually handled fairly accurately, if time-compressed.    But I just couldn't with CSI (any version) where the lab techs were experts in every single thing, fingerprints, ballistics, exotic tropical bugs . . . 

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for shows.  I lasted five seasons with the The Good Wife. But when shows are SO lazy that they can't be bothered to make their plots line up even a little bit with the world they've placed them in, I get offended.  Because it tells me that they think the audience is stupid and will buy anything.  Hire a veteran or two as consultants.  It's not hard.  The gold standard, to me, was The West Wing.  There was a ring of authenticity that made even a story about a filibuster (the most boring thing in the world, by definition) compelling TV.

• Love 10

Two Broke Girls wins this category for me.  I’ve seen a lot of unfunny comedies in my time, but this mess takes the cake.  Not only are the “jokes” unfunny, that unpleasant, unattractive, big-busted brunette who cannot act to save her life delivers all of her zingers with an obnoxious clunkiness, like she’s in some awful vaudeville show and she’s listening for the drummer to give her a ba dum bum and a rimshot before moving on to her next bad line. 

Of course, I think most of the CBS “comedies” are epically bad.  I cannot understand why people continue to give them decent ratings.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 17
38 minutes ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Two Broke Girls wins this category for me.  I’ve seen a lot of unfunny comedies in my time, but this mess takes the cake.  Not only are the “jokes” unfunny, that unpleasant, unattractive, big-busted brunette who cannot act to save her life delivers all of her zingers with an obnoxious clunkiness, like she’s in some awful vaudeville show and she’s listening for the drummer to give her a ba dum bum and a rimshot before moving on to her next bad line. 

Of course, I think most of the CBS “comedies” are epically bad.  I cannot understand why people continue to give them decent ratings.

Although I do agree about Two Broke Girls.  I do like Moms and The Great Indoors both are genuinely funny CBS comedies.    Then again you shouldn't take my word for it.  I don't usually like comedies.  I think those are the only two I am currently watching.

• Love 2

I made it halfway through Emerald City before I had to tap out. It was beautiful looking but MY GOD it was boring.  The only reason I even got as far as halfway was because I kept watching thinking "there must only be 5-10 minutes left", but when I paused and saw another 40 minutes, I knew I was done. 

• Love 5

Agree about Emerald City.  I was watching with my sister when I asked her if I could change the channel (about 20 min into the show).  My sister then demanded to know why I'd taken that long to realize the show was garbage.

ETA: Sorry, but I hate the Great Indoors too.  Even Joel McHale can't save it for me.  I think the acting on that comedy is tragic.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 3
On 1/12/2017 at 8:04 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I slogged through the first year of HTGAWM complaining the whole time that law school is nothing like that (thank goodness) and that Annalise was (probably) breaking PA law by having the kids work on cases and talk to clients.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I slogged through the first year of HTGAWM complaining the whole time that law school is nothing like that (thank goodness) and that Annalise was (probably) breaking PA law by having the kids work on cases and talk to clients.

Seasons 1 and 2, none of the Keating Kids should have been doing anything with her law clinic. I think by season 3, they were 2Ls. I worked at a law clinic in Pennsylvania during my 2L year. I talked to clients, went to court, did depositions, and wrote complaints and briefs. Another student in the clinic argued a case in front of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. I worked on a case that resulted in Medicare covering a medical procedure that they previously denied all the time. When the judges ruled in our favor, it was years after I'd left law school. My clinic advisor called me up because the clinic and this case was being covered by a magazine and she wanted to know if I wanted to be interviewed. They used the bulk of my arguments from lower courts and all of my briefs.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:55 PM, ChromaKelly said:

Same here. I got frustrated with the constant splitting of CDB, because one of my favorite parts of the show was seeing them interact. I still liked a lot of the characters but the show became unwatchable. I quit in the middle of this last season, actually in the middle of an episode.

I quit Real Housewives of Atlanta in the middle of an episode. Admittedly not a great show, but I had to drop it when Nene Leaves called Claudia Jordan, who is biracial, a half-breed. I went into the menu for my Tivo and deleted my season pass for the show as it aired. I can stomach a lot of foolishness on those shows, but bigotry is not something I'm cool with. 

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I slogged through the first year of HTGAWM complaining the whole time that law school is nothing like that (thank goodness)

I saw the promos for the pilot, said, "That's not how this works.  That's not how any of this works," and figured if I was that annoyed from a 40-second compilation of scenes, I should just skip the show.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ok now I am starting to think Doctors don't sleep with each other while operating on patients and then sleep with the patients  and political "fixers" don't employ serial killers and sleep with the President of the United States.  Y'all just ruined Shonda Rhimes for me.  

• Love 13
On 1/12/2017 at 10:31 AM, Archery said:

But I just couldn't with CSI (any version) where the lab techs were experts in every single thing, fingerprints, ballistics, exotic tropical bugs . . . 

Not only that, but they chase own and interrogate all the suspects, make arrests, go on SWAT raids....basically every single thing a cop would ever do is done by the lab techs.  Unbelievable ridiculous.

On 1/12/2017 at 1:22 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I made it halfway through Emerald City before I had to tap out. It was beautiful looking but MY GOD it was boring.  The only reason I even got as far as halfway was because I kept watching thinking "there must only be 5-10 minutes left", but when I paused and saw another 40 minutes, I knew I was done. 

I followed Vincent D'onofio on Twitter, until his feed became nothing but interminable retweets from viewers about how Emerald City was the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.  Call me a child, but that was enough for me not to even give it a try.

• Love 1

A couple of "Shows I never watched but hate anyway":

The new To Tell the Truth. Admittedly I was very young when the show was in its prime in the 60's, but I remember it as one of the more intelligent game shows. (It's apparently continued in syndication, but I never saw any episodes.) The new 2017 show boasts "fun characters from pop culture." It seems horribly dumbed down to me.

Riverdale, based on Archie Comics. I know I'm not the target audience, but it sounds pretty dark for a series based on such fluffy source material. (I don't like what I've read of the adult Archie comics either.)

• Love 5
15 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I followed Vincent D'onofio on Twitter, until his feed became nothing but interminable retweets from viewers about how Emerald City was the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.  Call me a child, but that was enough for me not to even give it a try.

The same for me with any show that has been judged in popular opinion as a G.O.A.T. (Friends, Seinfeld, Raymond, Law and Order SVU, etc.).

7 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

The same for me with any show that has been judged in popular opinion as a G.O.A.T. (Friends, Seinfeld, Raymond, Law and Order SVU, etc.).

Wow, that's a .....sweeping statement.  Do you have shows that you personally  consider to be G.O.A.T., even if most people wouldn't agree, or do you just reject the concept?

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Wow, that's a .....sweeping statement.  Do you have shows that you personally  consider to be G.O.A.T., even if most people wouldn't agree, or do you just reject the concept?

That's a good question, and yes, I do have my own G.O.A.Ts (granted, some might not agree, but that's to be expected)--

Perry Mason

M Squad

Barney Miller

The Bob Newhart Show

Star Trek original-recipe (1966-69)

Police Squad

Mannix

• Love 1
On 1/4/2017 at 1:40 PM, proserpina65 said:

Suits

Not to mention the fact that by aiding and abetting the unauthorized practice of law, the entire law firm would be subject to heavy sanctions, including the possible (if not probable) disbarment of every lawyer in the firm who knew the truth about Mike and failed to do anything about it. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

That's a good question, and yes, I do have my own G.O.A.Ts (granted, some might not agree, but that's to be expected)--

Perry Mason

M Squad

Barney Miller

The Bob Newhart Show

Police Squad

Mannix

Most of the shows you named are "older" shows and the ones you dislike are "newer" shows.  I have seen my fair share of great old shows but then current shows as well.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Perry Mason

M Squad

Barney Miller

The Bob Newhart Show

Police Squad

Mannix

How about GOATS from this century?

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

What's a GOAT?

I was just about to ask what this was as well!

33 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

Greatest Of All Time.

Thanks. 

And sadly for me, my list of Greatest Shows of All Time are from the 20th century too.

• Love 2

This is Us - I dropped it initially because FFS, fat is not a personality trait, but I have tried it a couple of times since and it it way too saccharine for my tastes.

HTGAWM Because I have been to law school and I have participated in a number of legal clinics as part of my law school experience and just no. That is not how anything works, ever.

• Love 2

I gave up after one episode of Taboo. Even though it's full of actors I really like, I was completely bored. I don't care if a character is bad or good or somewhere in between, but if I can't find anything remotely interesting about them, that's an entertainment sin to me.

• Love 3

I don't care at all about realism.   What I care about is if a show entertains me.  Emerald City and Taboo just don't.  I can't explain exactly why.    

This Is Us is just too cutesy for me that depends way too much on heartstring pulling.  I find that annoying.  Although my mom loves the show.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2017 at 11:27 AM, LydiaMoon1 said:

I've seen that actress in other things and she's not that bad of an actress. I think this show just brings out the worst in all the actors.

A bit late to the Quantico discussion, but I can't watch that show because *they* keep trying to push the pretty actress on us trying to make her a star. I hate when someone/something is pushed down our throats.

• Love 2
On 1/17/2017 at 10:39 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And sadly for me, my list of Greatest Shows of All Time are from the 20th century too.

Thanks for the agreement! I would have more (including some from today), but I've been afraid to try anything of today, else I end up strongly disliking or even hating it.

• Love 1