Type keyword(s) to search

Brain Bleed: The Shows We Hate & The Reasons We Hate Them

• Start Topic

Older shows:

Farscape:  I usually Ike (even love) science fiction shows but this one always turned me off for some reason.  I just dont get why people like it,  it always seemed cheap to me and I usually don't give a crap about  budgets and FX but this one I just never bought the concept or the delivery.  And the character just didn't work at all.

The Wire:  i usually like both drug and gang tv/movies and the grittiness of it should have worked for me.  It didn't.  The first season had its charms and I eventually made it through but it devolved quickly into an unwatchable mess after that.  

A bit late to the Quantico discussion, but I can't watch that show because *they* keep trying to push the pretty actress on us trying to make her a star. I hate when someone/something is pushed down our throats.

I don't mean to sound rude but who knows how things sound typed on a computer....but is your problem that actress is 'pretty' or that someone is trying to make her a bigger star then you think she has the right to be.  I have seen alot of actor/actresses being put as fronts for shows some of them good.  Some of them not.  Most of them tend to be on the 'pretty' side.  That doesn't bother me.  It bothers me more when I don't particularly think they are a good actor.  And that goes for "not pretty" actors too.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
33 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I don't mean to sound rude but who knows how things sound typed on a computer....but is your problem that actress is 'pretty' or that someone is trying to make her a bigger star then you think she has the right to be.  I have seen alot of actor/actresses being put as fronts for shows some of them good.  Some of them not.  Most of them tend to be on the 'pretty' side.  That doesn't bother me.  It bothers me more when I don't particularly think they are a good actor.  And that goes for "not pretty" actors too.    

I used "pretty" to describe her because I don't know her name off the top of my head and was too lazy to look it up.

I get annoyed when they try to push anyone on me, no matter what they look like. Other examples they keep trying to make happen are, Rumur Willis and Kendal Jenner. Even if someone turns out to be talented, the hype turns me off, especially when it happens before the show/movie/etc airs.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I get annoyed when they try to push anyone on me, no matter what they look like. Other examples they keep trying to make happen are, Rumur Willis and Kendal Jenner. Even if someone turns out to be talented, the hype turns me off, especially when it happens before the show/movie/etc airs.

I have this issue too.  Sometimes I'm willing to reassess my initial reaction, and discover that I've been missing good things, but not always.

• Love 3
On 1/22/2017 at 3:05 PM, bmasters9 said:

Thanks for the agreement! I would have more (including some from today), but I've been afraid to try anything of today, else I end up strongly disliking or even hating it.

Okay, I'm hitting myself in the head, because I did think of a show from this century. It was light-hearted, funny, hilarious, with hints of drama, and had a good run:

Psych

One of the most quotable shows ever, too!

Shawn: "You Suck it."

Gus: "YOU Suck it."

Both: (singing) "Suck iiiiiiiiiit."

"You know that's right."

• Love 4
On 1/22/2017 at 7:59 PM, Snow Apple said:

I get annoyed when they try to push anyone on me, no matter what they look like

I always feel bad for the performer in question since I don't remember this going well for anyone.  Julia Ormond?  She was and is beautiful, she could and can act - but boy was her career killed by an overzealous publicity campaign.   

For people over a Certain Age, at least in the US, the gold standard of the "who the fuck ARE you and why am I supposed to care???" person would be Rula Lenska, who was presented as a huge international star in a baffling series of TV ads for Alberto VO-5 back in the seventies.

• Love 4

Chicago Med - it feels like the medical advisors on this show haven't worked in the field for a good 30 years. Some of the medical dilemmas presented this season include whether they should deliver child of a 35 week pregnant woman who had gotten into a car accident and had a suspected aortic injury and whether to perform a procedure on an actively bleeding HIV positive patient. These are not dilemmas, the 35 weeker should be delivered, the risk to the child is minimal and the risk of the mother dying of an aortic injury is huge, and as for the HIV positive patient, that plot line is both offensive and spreads dangerous misinformation regarding HIV transmission. Just no.

• Love 6
On 9/25/2016 at 5:10 AM, nosleepforme said:

The good MacGyver ratings puzzle me, because who's interested in such an old, outdated, cheesy 80s property? Even if it's the original fanbase  of the show, I thought the main appeal of it was the lead actor who is not involved in this version.

It's Friday 8:00 and I have no life.  It's pleasant non invasive tv.  It's just kinda nice to relax to.  Now wold I watch it on any other night, Probably not.

i liked the finale of Buffy and BSG.  

i hated the finale of Dexter and How I Met Your Mother.  Then again both shows should have ended several seasons before they did.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't hate it, but I have cancelled Victoria from my personal viewing.  I was just watching for Rufus Sewell, and now that his character's gone, I found I'm just not that interested.

Ditto.  When it's a chore to watch a show, that's a clear signal that it's not keeping me engaged or entertained. 

On 1/29/2017 at 2:29 PM, Jac said:

Chicago Med - it feels like the medical advisors on this show haven't worked in the field for a good 30 years. Some of the medical dilemmas presented this season include whether they should deliver child of a 35 week pregnant woman who had gotten into a car accident and had a suspected aortic injury and whether to perform a procedure on an actively bleeding HIV positive patient. These are not dilemmas, the 35 weeker should be delivered, the risk to the child is minimal and the risk of the mother dying of an aortic injury is huge, and as for the HIV positive patient, that plot line is both offensive and spreads dangerous misinformation regarding HIV transmission. Just no.

I remember one time on House there was a woman at 38 weeks and it was all "OMG THE BABBEEE WILL BE TWO WEEKS EARLY!!!!" Um, so? That's full term.

Not sure where I should put this, but the House memory made me realize I don't finish a lot of shows I actually love. I never watched the finale of House, even though I was a faithful viewer until the shitty last season. Same with How I Met Your Mother (I quit about two episodes into the last season), Big Love (also quit midway through the last season. I loooooved that show and except of the last two seasons, consider it one of my favorite all-time shows), Parks and Rec -  didn't watch the finale. I don't really know why. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't hate it, but I have cancelled Victoria from my personal viewing.  I was just watching for Rufus Sewell, and now that his character's gone, I found I'm just not that interested.

16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ditto.  When it's a chore to watch a show, that's a clear signal that it's not keeping me engaged or entertained. 

I was already disinclined when they de-aged Lord Melbourne and implied Victoria had a crush on a man 40 years her senior to the point of Court gossip. Then I realized the series just wasn't that interesting.  

They lost me with the opening scrawl. It was so pretentious...that's not quite the word but I can't think of another. Unless you're setting up a sweeping historical or fantasy saga, or mocking that kind of opening, it's just going to make me snort in derision. And find something else to watch.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I was already disinclined when they de-aged Lord Melbourne and implied Victoria had a crush on a man 40 years her senior to the point of Court gossip. Then I realized the series just wasn't that interesting.  

That didn't bother me, because I wasn't watching it for historical accuracy.  But all the downstairs stuff was boring, and without Rufus Sewell as eye candy, there was nothing at all to hold my interest.  Probably made a difference that I'm not particularly interested in Queen Victoria's reign.

• Love 1

I'm starting to hate Big Bang Theory on principle alone. I've seen news items that they are thinking of renewing for two more years. We really need two more years of this show?  I tend to think now that TV shows should tell their story and then wrap it up while everyone is still ahead. BBT will no doubt limp to the finish line just like The Office did.

• Love 4

I might catch Victoria if it's on repeat but I don't care if I miss it.  Rufus Sewell leaving was the main reason but I also realized that I just wasn't all that interested in Victoria's reign, no matter how important it was historically.  

22 hours ago, abstractstuff said:

Rage flames about the last season and ending of Big Love. That show was fantastic, and they completely ruined it. 

I stopped watching at some point; I don't remember at what point.  Now I am curious and will look up how it ended.  

15 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

If you're looking for more Rufus Sewell, check out Man In the High Castle.  He is killing it in that role.  His character really gets good focus and depth in season 2, but is around in the first season, too.

I've thought about it, but wasn't sure if the Nazi angle appealed right now.  Just might check it out, though.

• Love 1

Do you have a high threshold for boredom? I don't and there isn't enough No-Doze in the world to keep me awake for 5 minutes of The Man in the High Castle. And I really like Rufus.

• Love 1

Did you try Season 2?  It moves a lot faster than season 1, and Rufus gets a lot more focus.  Of course, I wasn't bored with season 1, so it's all relative.  :)

I don't like Veronica Mars.  I think partially because it had SO much hype it would never live up to it (still does, imo).

The Man In the High Castle is one of my favorite novels so I did make the effort to check out the series.  I gave up three episodes in once I realized that they were going to stretch out a fairly short book into multiple seasons - exhausting  for someone who knows the story already - I lack the patience to sit through hour after hour of TV to find out if they have changed or solidified plot aspects.    

You all should read the book. It really deserved the Nebula and the Hugo it won and reading it won't eat up dozens of hours of your life.  I still get thrilled about Mr Tagomi!!   "Yield, he told the silver triangle.  Cough up arcane secret."

On 2/15/2017 at 8:15 PM, abstractstuff said:

Rage flames about the last season and ending of Big Love. That show was fantastic, and they completely ruined it. 

For reasons  unknown to me I skipped the final season of Big Love.  It's chilly outside so maybe I'll turn it in the background just so I can have it done.

(edited)

Under shows I cancelled, bye bye bye:

I recently quit Call the Midwife in its 6th season. Cast members have come and gone but the basic tone hasn't changed and it remains that I think is quality programming. The acting is top notch and I enjoy the historical setting and atmosphere. It seems like the showrunners make a genuine effort to sprinkle in some happy moments and end each episode on a positive/uplifting note.

Overall, though, the sadness and tears are unrelenting and it's just not how I care to spend my time any more.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 2

I gave up on Fargo after the second episode.  Unlike previous seasons, none of this season's characters are interesting to me and I hope they all die, especially the tampon woman.  

• Love 2
On 2/18/2017 at 10:01 AM, Brooklynista said:

For reasons  unknown to me I skipped the final season of Big Love.  It's chilly outside so maybe I'll turn it in the background just so I can have it done.

I was such a fan of that show but I never finished the final season. It got so off the rails and away from the focus on the wives and their relationships with each other and Bill. 

On 5/19/2017 at 3:29 PM, Ohwell said:

I gave up on Fargo after the second episode.  Unlike previous seasons, none of this season's characters are interesting to me and I hope they all die, especially the tampon woman.  

Ugh me too. I actually stopped watching in the middle of an episode. The first two seasons sucked me in right away, but there's nothing compelling about this season.

• Love 3
On 1/15/2017 at 7:22 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

I followed Vincent D'onofio on Twitter, until his feed became nothing but interminable retweets from viewers about how Emerald City was the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.  Call me a child, but that was enough for me not to even give it a try.

You can turn off anyone's retweets on Twitter.

• Love 2

I recently came across a game show created off the back of the Candy Crush mobile game.

I don't particularly have anything against the Candy Crush mobile game. I've played it. But it took about 5 seconds of watching the game show to tell that a giant crime had been perpetrated against TV viewers and common decency in making this game show. It took a supreme act of corporate greed to try and milk a few more dollars out of the game, at the very least, to make something as mind numbingly stupid as this. And having Mario Lopez host it was just the shit-flavored icing on the shit cake.

Anyone else see this monstrosity?

(Oh, as if the show wasn't already enough of a crime, Episode 1 featured Frankie Grande as a "celebrity" contestant. Yes, that idiot.)

• Love 3

Especially since we've probably passed peak Candy Crush phase.  I'm not saying people don't still play it, but it can't be nearly as popular as it was 3-4 years ago.

At this rate, two summers from now we'll probably be subjected to a live action Pokemon Go game show.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

I haven't watched the Candy Crush game show. Thought it was a stupid idea when I heard it was coming because as was said before they waited so long from when the game first became popular. I thought about watching the Big Brother vs. Survivor episode then I found out Frankie Grande would be on it. 

Without ever seeing it I hate Wisdom of the Crowd.  First, I hate it for the stupid name.  I've been watching far too much political coverage to ever think any crowd displays wisdom.  And I also hate the concept.  People spying on strangers and using social media to accuse them of crimes?  What could possibly go wrong with that?  The whole idea is offensive.

• Love 22
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Without ever seeing it I hate Wisdom of the Crowd.  First, I hate it for the stupid name.  I've been watching far too much political coverage to ever think any crowd displays wisdom.  And I also hate the concept.  People spying on strangers and using social media to accuse them of crimes?  What could possibly go wrong with that?  The whole idea is offensive.

It is basically the plot of APB last season without the Popular Mechanics police gear. Law and Order did an episode on this a decade ago with Chinese cyber mercenaries helping out our NYPD detectives 

• Love 2
On ‎09‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, Haleth said:

Plus, there's the whole issue of legality.  In one ad, there's some mention of using someone's cell phone to listen in on a suspect's conversation.  In some states that isn't legal and would jeopardize the case against that suspect.

• Love 1

I have officially taken The Flash of my dvr. I just don't care what happens to any of the characters anymore. I haven't given up on Arrow yet, I'll see how the first few episodes go.

I quit The Strain after

Spoiler

they killed off Nora because that does not happen in the books!!!

want to like Orville I really really do but it is just so stupid and not in a good way.  

For the record  I don't care about actors personal lives (to a point) and if they are jerks and morons and assholes.  If they are good at their job that is all that I care about but I just don't find Seth McFarlane funny or even particularly clever.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

want to like Orville I really really do but it is just so stupid and not in a good way.  

I watched the first episode. Thought it was so terrible that I couldn't even give it my usual 3 episode chance.

• Love 2

I've finally dropped shows that I really haven't liked in a very long time. NCIS, NCIS New Orleans, Big Bang Theory, Last Ship, Madam Secretary, Once Upon a Time and Major Crimes. I don't know why I didn't drop NCIS or Big Bang Theory sooner I haven't liked either show for many years or the main characters on both shows. I don't know if I thought they might finally get better or I put so many seasons into watching them. Last Ship just got to weird and way to hard to believe same with NCIS New Orleans. Major Crimes I wanted like I liked nearly all of the characters from the Closer and it was nice to see more of the other cops in the unit but I hate Rusty, I've never been able to warm up to Raydor or Raydor and Flynn dating. I liked that Provenza and Patrice, Mike and Buzz but its not enough to keep me watching anymore. I like Elizabeth on Madam Secretary but I can't stand her husband on the show. It does feel nice to finally drop the shows. I wish I had done it sooner. 

• Love 2

I wanted to like Major Crimes since it was a spinoff of The Closer. I've just never been able to get into it. Might watch the last few episodes since it's ending. 

I'm about ready to drop NCIS: NO too. It's gotten beyond stupid and unbelievable especially after last week's craptastic episode. 

I let last season's Big Bang Theory's episodes pile up on my DVR and realized over the Summer that if I deleted them they wouldn't be missed.

I gave up on OUAT not long after the 3rd season started. I can't believe it's lasted so long. Tried watching a couple episodes last season and wrote it off again.

• Love 1

I can't find the old topic about why you quit a show but I feel a rant coming on so I'll post it here. Shows I have quit:

Walking Dead:  The characters are only there to serve the plot now and do the stupidest things. First they decided to kill Glenn. Then they thought that having that joke of a character Negan and the Garbage Pail Kids was a good idea. Now they've done the most stupid thing they could possibly do and kill Carl. Done. 

Major Crimes: They have done the most stupid bone-headed thing I have ever seen this side of Dexter and

Spoiler

killed Sharon Raydor.

I don't care if the show was cancelled and there are only four episodes left. Done-sies.

Arrow: I don't even remember much of whatever the hell was going on last season but I do remember it sucked. Done

The Flash: Same. Done.

I used to think I had to watch a show to the bitter end, but no longer. Life is too short and there is too much out there. Oh, and I hate The Big Bang Theory. Why is that show still on? End rant. For now. 

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, festivus said:

Walking Dead:  The characters are only there to serve the plot now and do the stupidest things. First they decided to kill Glenn. Then they thought that having that joke of a character Negan and the Garbage Pail Kids was a good idea. Now they've done the most stupid thing they could possibly do and kill Carl. Done. 

Me too.  I agree with everything you said.

• Love 1