Type keyword(s) to search

Brain Bleed: The Shows We Hate & The Reasons We Hate Them

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, maraleia said:

I'm about five seconds away from giving up Once Upon A Time because the story is going nowhere/getting way too convoluted for its own good.

I commend you for sticking with it this long. I think I bailed a few episodes into the 3rd season.

• Love 3

I gave up on it in the first season after two episodes for that very reason. I'm amazed anybody thought it would get better with time, no offense.

I really like the concept of kids mixing their toys together when playing and creating their own canon, but seeing it done in a live-action TV series aimed at adults is really bizarre to me.

Belle loving Rumpelstiltskin? Ooooookay....

• Love 2
Just now, Jaded said:

I commend you for sticking with it this long. I think I bailed a few episodes into the 3rd season.

The only reason why I did was for the three women leads but this woe is me Regina stuff is so irritating. I'm also watching way too much TV right now when you include streaming so things have to go.

This is way after the fact, but since I only watched the show for the first time a few years ago it's still fresh in my mind. Melrose Place should have ended this season they decided to write Kimberly out for good and Sydney shortly thereafter. The cast was at that point fracturing off and while they managed to snag an occasional good new member, like Rob Estes, it really never regained its footing. They just wrote Kimberly into such a major force that it was impossible to fill the void she left behind. And Sydney was such a spark plug you couldn't help but root for her even when she got stuck with that boring fiance. Plus all of the couples that fans were rooting for were broken up, so what was the point? Seeing how crazy things could get? They had already accomplished that to the best of their ability and should have known when to quit.

I'm so glad I didn't bother picking up the DVDs of the last seasons just to be able to tell myself I saw the whole thing. A couple of clips on YouTube showed me all I needed to know - the show never recovered.

it's a real shame the reboot was a flop, because it would have been really nice to see characters like Jake and Jo reunite there.

• Love 2

Black-ish - This show has become a political statement. I watch sitcoms to laugh, not to be preached to.  And they 're already pulling a new baby storyline. I'm out.

The Goldbergs - I liked the first season  and some of Season 2, but I realized the show it really doesn't have anything going for it. They're just checking off a list of 80's movies to parody and reference an entire episode about. There's been no real character development or advancement. The formula's getting stale. It's gotten too repetitive and every episode is the same.

• Love 6

Last season, I stopped watching OUAT, Legends of Tomorrow (all CW superhero shows disappoint me eventually), Quantico, and Blind Spot. As I noted in another thread, my DVR won't record more than 16 minutes of Designated Survivor no matter what I do, and it really is losing my interest regardless; therefore, I have nixed it. I love Hayley Atwell but Conviction is a dud for me. Doctor Who and Sleepy Hollow are very close to being chopped as well.

Timeless and Frequency--I am not sure if by season's end that they won't be history too.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 2

All of the CW Superhero shows. They were pretty bad anyway, and I had all but given up on Arrow and The Flash. But the Flashpoint nonsense just killed any interest I had left. It's incredibly cheap, and utterly lacking in narrative merit, to just say 'oh yeah, time travel and dimensions and stuff. Now things are different!' Cheap when DC comics do it, cheap when TV shows do it.

I've read a little bit about what's going on in each show, and just quickly decided I don't even care enough to follow the spoilers and make fun of them any more.

• Love 2

I quit watching any NFL games, on any channel. Fuck you Goodell.

ps- since I said the same thing to a friend today and he asked, please know that my displeasure with the NFL has nothing to do with Kaepernick or any "Anthem protests."

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 2

Sleepy Hollow - Dropped it after they threw the baby out with the bath water i.e. the Headless Horseman, Moloch and most importantly Abbie Mills. They got rid of everything that made the show Sleepy Hollow and thus interesting. 

The Flash - The first half of S1 was interesting and fun. However, by the time the show reached the second half of S1 it was obvious they had no interest in the women on the show, specifically Iris. It also became clear that the show was good at distracting the audience with "epic" moments but had no coherent story behind it. Plus the show just got boring and never IMHO recovered. 

Designated Survivor - I tuned into this for Kiefer Sutherland. The first episode was entertaining. The second and third episodes made absolutely no sense in the context of the premise of the show. The actions of the characters just did not match the catastrophe that would ensue after the entire US government (President, senators etc.) had been murdered. I just couldn't suspend disbelief enough to hand wave the lack of a realistic response from the characters to such a situation. 

The Exorcist - The first couple of episodes were pretty descent. However, they completely lost me with the last couple of episodes. I thought I understood the direction of the show but now I'm not sure what they're trying to do. As a result, I think I'm moving on from this one. 

Pitch - I really enjoy Kylie Bunbury. She's a really good actress with a lot of charisma. I love the fact that she is another AA woman leading a show. However, this show is close to being off my watch list. It has potential, but sometimes get lost in the intricacies of Major League Baseball. Ginny's story is interesting, but the supporting characters (who also get quite a bit of screentime) and their stories aren't very interesting. I'm also not a fan of them hooking up the main character with her teammate, which the show seems to be inevitably moving towards. 

Penny Dreadful - I enjoyed the show, at first. But after Vanessa got possessed and/or stalked by some evil entity for what seemed like the 20th time in two seasons, I gave up. As someone so eloquently put it Eva Green writhing around on a bed acting crazy out of her mind got old REALLY fast. It's a shame because I liked all of the actors in this and the exploration of characters from the horror classics. 

Edited by Enero
Because I can't spell. Lol
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, caci said:

So why did you stop watching them?  Just curious.

I am not the OP but in my case the balance of the game  has been lost because of safety issues.  Man has just grown to powerful and much of the unique action is gone. Instant replays to get every single call correct has messed up the cycle of action, rest and get ready for action again 

• Love 2
On 10/15/2016 at 7:58 PM, caci said:

So why did you stop watching them?  Just curious.

As @Raja mentioned - flow of the game is the big one.

Kickoffs- most of them go into the endzone and the NFL, trying to cut down on kickoff/ punt injuries, doesn't want teams to run them out. So, a kick, with no real result but a touchback, and the receiving team gets the ball on the 25. Unless it's the first kick of the game, then there's a TV timeout. Then some downs are played, and say a punt. Then another TV ad block. And repeat. 

Even though I appreciate the challenge system (because the refs invariably get things wrong) that process takes WAY too long. Plus "not everything is reviewable" even when it's pretty fucking obvious they blew a call. Hey, they're human- right? But that downtime kills flow to the game and the networks invariably throw in about 2 more commercials while they're at it. If you attend a game, there's so much downtime for TV. It's boring. College D1 can be bad like this too but it's not as bad as NFL. If you're a fan Raja / anyone else- seriously, a Division 3 game where humans that aren't behemoths can be linemen, are more entertaining. Well, sometimes.

I'm a huge baseball fan and whenever I hear people complain about the pace of baseball, and then they say they prefer NFL football, I'm perplexed. Also this game with specifics about EVERYTHING still relies on a referee guessing approximately where to place the ball after every play when it's not always obvious where the player reached. And then they complete the hilarity by having guys with chains who've deducted the 10 yards of achievement via where to place marker behind the heel of a ref, come out to measure.

I'm also someone who grew up a Boston fan EXCEPT for the Patriots, but the obvious bullshitery about Deflate-gate made me more of a Pats fan last year.  <shudder>  So I've given up all of it. Six weeks in- life is much better.

• Love 3

Chicago Fire.  I am tired of Dawson and Casey's never ending whatever.  Severide's parade of women.  And the only story they seem to know how to give poor Bolden is to have someone threatening his job.  By now the poor man should have developed a complex. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Chicago Fire.  I am tired of Dawson and Casey's never ending whatever.  Severide's parade of women.  And the only story they seem to know how to give poor Bolton is to have someone threatening his job.  By now the poor man should have developed a complex. 

If all of that is still going on this season I'm glad I haven't watched as of yet. I'm beyond tired of all three things you described.

On 10/18/2016 at 4:48 PM, nosleepforme said:

I think I am going to drop This is Us. I like the show, it's charming and entertaining and it grabs me more than Parenthood ever did, but I have a little less time available now and I just don't identify as strongly with the characters and it's also a little bit too wholesome for my taste. I need my drama more among the lines of Six Feet Under.

LOL, and that's the reason I haven't dropped This is Us.  I like that it's wholesome; I'm sick of the darkness that HBO started and now has infected all other networks. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

LOL, and that's the reason I haven't dropped This is Us.  I like that it's wholesome; I'm sick of the darkness that HBO started and now has infected all other networks. 

Yeah, that's why I dropped Westworld after 2.5 episodes.  I was half-way into the third episode and thought "Why am I watching this?  It's all so bleak." 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Yeah, that's why I dropped Westworld after 2.5 episodes.  I was half-way into the third episode and thought "Why am I watching this?  It's all so bleak." 

I still have Westworld on my PVR to watch but the bleakness is keeping me away. I just need to pull the trigger and erase the episodes. I guess I'm worried that I'm missing out on something, but that alone isn't a good enough reason to watch something dark.

My understanding is that The Walking Dead premieres this week. I cancelled it after the shitty cliffhanger. I'll check online to see if the spoilers were right about the Lucille-ing but beyond that, I'm done. I'll miss out on the cultural phenomenon and be just fine.

• Love 2
On 10/20/2016 at 9:00 PM, Neurochick said:

On 10/19/2016 at 4:48 AM, nosleepforme said:

I think I am going to drop This is Us. I like the show, it's charming and entertaining and it grabs me more than Parenthood ever did, but I have a little less time available now and I just don't identify as strongly with the characters and it's also a little bit too wholesome for my taste. I need my drama more among the lines of Six Feet Under.

And I'm keeping both This is Us and Westworld, because I like a balance diet :)

I would have dropped Scream Queens after the first two episodes, but as it's one of only two shows I watch with my darling child, I'm reluctantly sticking with it - for now. We still haven't watched the latest episode and were more than a week late with the previous one, so maybe we're moving towards the "non watch" end of the spectrum...

• Love 1

Hate might be too strong a word, but I've refused to get suckered into Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency because it's Douglas Adams.

Way back when his books were hot stuff, I read them all. I don't remember liking them. It didn't matter so much at the time because I could and did tear through 2 - 3 SF/fantasy books a week without paying a whole lot of critical attention to what I was reading. Recently, though, I listened my way through an audiobook edition of The Restaurant at the End of the Galaxy and it was horrible. There was no plot, the characters were thin, and the whole book was just a single scenario repeated over and over -- the characters would pop abruptly into a strange place, some bit of obsolete technology gone amok would try to kill them, and they'd make a hasty exit only to pop abruptly into another strange place. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I vaguely remember Dirk Gently to be a lot like that, where a whole string of loosely related things happens and then it's over, so when I read Matt Roush's review of it it sounded all too familiar. I could be wrong but I just don't care enough to find out. So, not hate but indifference.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 1

There are scores of shows throughout my lifetime, but I'll just mention these:

I've already said "Timeless" due to the lead actress who seems to me is perpetually seeking a latte, no matter the time period. 

"Hannibal"or any show suggesting the slightest hint of cannibalism is involved.  Just no.

"The Strain".  When I saw ads featuring an eyeball being poked, I avoided them and the show entirely. 

Wasn't it "Dexter" where promos featured a smiling man all covered in blood?  If not, whatever that show was, I immediately hated it, and this is coming from someone who watches "Forensic Files" and the ID channel.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2
On 9/8/2016 at 4:45 AM, nosleepforme said:

The Big Bang Theory. I watched the pilot years ago when it premiered and I thought it was the worst thing I have ever seen. Not much better than Cavemen in the same season. The seemingly everlasting popularity of the show puzzles me, because whenever I channel-surf and come across the show, I just think it's the lamest, unfunniest show ever.

I tried watching this show and I stopped after a the first few minutes. I can't understand why it is so popular.

• Love 3

I just thought of one:  

Any animated show with an animal having sex or even just making out with a human.   Creeps me out.  Sorry fans of Family Guy and BoJack Horseman but we all have our triggers,. That is mine.

Honestly I like my animated stories human centered,. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I've already said "Timeless" due to the lead actress who seems to me is perpetually seeking a latte, no matter the time period. 

She's terrible.  She was terrible during her soap days and also on Rectify - a show that I hated because it got all these amazing reviews and was nothing but ridiculously shlocky melodrama complete with some of the most atrocious "Southern" accents I've ever heard in my life.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Good riddance to The Walking Dead. Usually, when I watch a show for six seasons, it's unlikely that I drop it, but this show really doesn't respect its audience at all. Thus, I'm done with it.

I quit after the season finale and have no regrets. I also quit Dexter after six and Sons of Anarchy after five. It might seem like wasting all the time you invested watching so many previous episodes, but eventually there comes a point where you just got to decide to stop more time on a show that is a waste of time.

Walking Dead was frustrating because they'd have maybe one, at the most two, really great episodes a season surrounded by garbage. Those great episodes kept me on board for a while, but no more...

• Love 5

I lasted all of 20 minutes of Dirk Gently.  It was just a bunch of random crap thrown at the screen, with no attempt to establish the characters or give me a reason to watch.  There's mystery and there's being deliberately confusing.

Yeah, yeah, I know.  I'm a moron who doesn't appreciate good TV that makes me 'think'.  Sorry, life's too short to spend that much time on a TV show trying to figure out what's going on. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

She's terrible.  She was terrible during her soap days and also on Rectify - a show that I hated because it got all these amazing reviews and was nothing but ridiculously shlocky melodrama complete with some of the most atrocious "Southern" accents I've ever heard in my life.  

I tried watching a couple of episodes of Timeless because the premise really interested me. I'm not a fan of the actress and how she portrays the character. She just seems to lack the gravitas to portray a professor.

• Love 1

I gave Designated Survivor two episodes and then I had tap out.  I just couldn't with all the theories, counter theories, "they aren't done yet", terrorists blah blah.  And that was just in the first twos eps.  I don't have the intestinal fortitude to stick with a show that feels like I am going to have to pay attention to conspiracies etc.  I am preferring the the more personal stories/character driven stuff this season.

• Love 4

I tapped out after two episodes too, though my problem was that I realized that if I was watching a show about fighting terrorists that starred Kiefer Sutherland and Maggie Q, I wanted them to be kicking ass and taking names. 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2016 at 5:51 PM, Jaded said:

That's around when I bailed. It just got to be too much of fairy tale character = Disney movie character, too much woobification of bad guys (Rumpel, Regina), and I didn't care about anyone.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, DearEvette said:

I gave Designated Survivor two episodes and then I had tap out.  I just couldn't with all the theories, counter theories, "they aren't done yet", terrorists blah blah.  And that was just in the first twos eps.  I don't have the intestinal fortitude to stick with a show that feels like I am going to have to pay attention to conspiracies etc.  I am preferring the the more personal stories/character driven stuff this season.

I was the opposite -  I was "Enough family drama and dithering - get Nikita into the Oval and get the mystery moving...

This Is Us is trying too hard for me. Maybe because I don't have kids? A lot of my emotions come out as tears but I haven't come close to welling up while watching. I'm not even sure what's supposed to be so moving. I thought the saintly obstetrician was nothing but a bagful of cheap platitudes.

I might watch a show with the adopted black son and his family but the rest of them are thoroughly annoying in their own ways. I don't care if the dad is dead or not, or what happened to him.

And stop calling every single plot point a damned twist!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

I guess I've cancelled "Bull" - I've been recording it, but didn't even make it through the first episode.

My DVR stopped recording Scream Queens. I'll look it up at some point, on-demand, but I don't miss it that much. The DVR has also been deleting Timeless, and Conviction, before I can get to them (I keep forgetting to change the settings), and I don't miss them much, either. I'm into the second season of Les Revenants, and spent yesterday afternoon watching Doctor Foster, on Netflix. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, ChromaKelly said:

That's around when I bailed. It just got to be too much of fairy tale character = Disney movie character, too much woobification of bad guys (Rumpel, Regina), and I didn't care about anyone.

I stuck it out to the end of the first season.  That was enough for me.

• Love 1

Honey BooBoo for sure. I think I got through 1/3 of an episode of Toddlers & Tiaras....but I'll deny it publicly.

Lost. Saw five minutes, maybe, and heard enough confusing stuff from others to know it was a holy mess of a show.

• Love 2
On 10/26/2016 at 3:44 PM, lordonia said:

I thought the saintly obstetrician was nothing but a bagful of cheap platitudes.

The last thing I saw Gerald McRaney in was Deadwood (binged it during the summer) so I kept expecting him to do something really, really bad.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

The last thing I saw Gerald McRaney in was Deadwood (binged it during the summer) so I kept expecting him to do something really, really bad.

I think he works better as a mean, ornery badass in a Western.

On 10/20/2016 at 0:26 PM, cpcathy said:

I'm about to give up on Westworld. It's just not ABOUT anything. There are moments, but it is so very bleak and frightening, I'm not compelled to keep watching.

I've only seen the first episode, and I was concerned about that. Between The Night Of falling very flat, and now this warning, I'm wondering if HBO isn't trading more on the wake of Game of Thrones than developing quality programming. 

• Love 1