Type keyword(s) to search

Brain Bleed: The Shows We Hate & The Reasons We Hate Them

• Start Topic

I'm interested to hear everyone's updates on the new Fall shows!

I gave Kevin James' sitcom a try, but nah. It's not actively bad, but it is satisfied to be the same old setup/joke family comedy we've seen for the last 30 years.

Speechless isn't going to cut it for me, either. Don't care to spend time with Minnie Driver's over-the-top mom.

Edited by lordonia

Tried Speechless, just for kicks, not bad, maybe will be okay if I don't have anything else to do one night!

Gave up on Atlanta, after about 15 minutes, despite the greatness that is Donald Glover.

Still trying to get through Better Things, I like the Louie-ness of it, but Pamela was always my least favorite person on any of his previous shows.

1 hour ago, nosleepforme said:

The good MacGyver ratings puzzle me, because who's interested in such an old, outdated, cheesy 80s property? Even if it's the original fanbase  of the show, I thought the main appeal of it was the lead actor who is not involved in this version.

Also, I don't understand the success of The Big Bang Theory to this day. Nor NCIS. Basically, the success of anything on CBS puzzles me.

Seriously,  yesterday while watching 48 Hours they previewed Bull, all the NCIS shows, and Kevin Can Wait, and I wondered how CBS stays afloat. I kid you not.

• Love 2

Chicago PD since it seems they are not going to turn the murderous police squad down the path The Shield took with Mackey and the Strike Team but just allow the vigilante justice as a good thing until the show ends.

• Love 1

It always cracks me up when networks tout a show's great ratings, or announce that it is the Number One Show! after one episode.  Call me back at mid-season and let me know how the ratings look then.  

(Please fix the grammar on the thread title. It is hurting me.)

• Love 10
5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Also, I don't understand the success of The Big Bang Theory to this day. Nor NCIS. Basically, the success of anything on CBS puzzles me.

I haven't watched The Big Bang Theory in about 7 years but I think Jim Parsons (and actually I thought Simon Helberg was underrated) is all that show ever had going for it. What astounds me though is people continuing to watch despite their complaining over how awful it's become because they're just contributing to why said show won't go away.

I don't understand how Two Broke Girls and Family Guy are still around either.

Edited by Winter Rose
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Archery said:

It always cracks me up when networks tout a show's great ratings, or announce that it is the Number One Show! after one episode.  Call me back at mid-season and let me know how the ratings look then.  

(Please fix the grammar on the thread title. It is hurting me.)

I know, right? As for MacGyver (Seriously, there's no U in the name, yet some continue to spell his name that way despite seeing the correct spelling in the show forum!). I suspect the reason for the high ratings was a lot of folks wanting to check it out. I'm one who watched the original, but REFUSED to watch this crapfest after reading the background of the title character, which contradicts/is the opposite of the original character, and accidentally seeing the promo, and Till's "MacGyver" couldn't have been more arrogant or smug, which just convinced me not to check it out, just to see the new "take." And it hurts my heart that Henry Winkler is a part of the reboot.

I've already asked a mod to please correct the grammar in the title, because it's hurting me as well. Hopefully, one will see it and fix it.

As for NCIS. Used to be two words: Mark Harmon and Michael Weatherly. This season? one word: Mark Harmon. Okay, more than one word--the chemistry and subplot of Gibbs and Fornell. The show isn't as good as it used to be in the first five seasons, but Harmon is the main reason I still watch it.

• Love 2

NCIS, exactly! I've never seen one minute of this show, so confused as to its success! Why are Mark Harmon and Michael Weatherly even famous? I haven't seen Mark Harmon actually act in years. His sister was a better actress on her Tic Tac commercials.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

Any and all reality shows.

Except The Amazing Race.  TAR falls out of all reality show condemnations (mostly).

28 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Wait, what? Are they making new episodes or remaking this show with new actors/characters?

New cast.  I never saw KoQ but the trailers for both look the same.

• Love 2

The 8th Season Premiere has gotten me on the verge of cancelling Modern Family.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Every single character had become a mean spirited parody of their former selves - Jay and Lily were the closest things to being vaguely likable and did I mention how all the 'minority' characters (Columbian, gay and . .. . rural?) had become crude stereotypes?  Unless the next episode does a 180 and become the humorously, realistic show with likable if flawed human characters I originally liked , I'm DONE!

On 9/25/2016 at 2:09 AM, jhlipton said:

That Kevin James is popular enough for a retread of King of Queens. At least the original MacGiver was funny and cool enough that I'll give the remake a try,

That could be it--that people ASSUMED the remake would be like the original and most hadn't twigged to how awful a lot of the reboot choices would be. So ratings for the show in a few weeks (figure some people might give it a few weeks to bail) might be more relevant than just Episode 1.

Edited by Drogo
EDITED BY MOD: Quoted a moderated post.
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

NCIS, exactly! I've never seen one minute of this show, so confused as to its success! Why are Mark Harmon and Michael Weatherly even famous? I haven't seen Mark Harmon actually act in years. His sister was a better actress on her Tic Tac commercials.

I was a fan of the original JAG, but grew to hate NCIS fairly quickly. It just seemed so tired--the interesting parts of JAG dropped and lots of stupid cop show stuff added (and a really loosey-goosey explanation of how this organization would even run). Each spinoff made less and less sense to me... existing I mean.

Also, I like my procedurals, when I see them, to have a context of these people actually doing business.  There came a point where procedurals started getting polluted by the idea that they had to be all things rather than actual procedurals, and I think that started the ruination of them as a genre. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, atomationage said:

Chicago PD was a one and done for me.  I cancelled Chicago Fire when they kept having crossovers from Chicago PD, and I'm from Chicago.  The Exorcist is filmed in Chicago also. 

Chicago Med was a one and done for me.  I cancelled Chicago Fire when I found out they were killing off Shay - I'd spent most of the summer wondering who if anybody was going to die after the season finale explosion, and realised that she was the only one I'd miss.  And Chicago PD, Roman isn't coming back, so neither am I. 

• Love 1

I accidentally started watching the original MacGyver and the first thing we learn about him is that he killed a dog to ride a horse (maybe metaphor, maybe not).  How could this version  be worse?  Manpain and Stephan Fetchit -- what a double-team!!!!  No thanks.

In terms of shows I like, I am surprised about Superstore 's success. It gets virtually no buzz, the network basically ignores it, and I don't know anyone but me who watches it. 

In terms of shows I don't, I never got the popularity of Seventh Heaven. It's exactly the type of show I would normally like and I liked almost all those other WB shows, but so many got cancelled or public interest fizzled. This one was on and on and on and on. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

In terms of shows I like, I am surprised about Superstore 's success. It gets virtually no buzz, the network basically ignores it, and I don't know anyone but me who watches it. 

I saw the first few and have to admit I wasn't impressed.  And the character of Glenn was one of the biggest embarrassments I've seen on network TV in decades. I found myself wondering if Mark McKinney didn't go home every night after shooting wondering what the hell he was doing using a funny voice to milk comedy--something that might have worked on sketch shows but which is totally ridiculous on any sitcom made after 1980.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

Superstore was one I thought of as well.  I watch it too and I like it, but unless it's a family single camera sitcom on ABC Wednesdays, those single camera sitcoms tend to get low ratings.  So the fact that this is a single camera, on NBC and not about families at all yet did really well coming back surprised me. 

McGyver debuting so well surprised me because I didn't think this was a cult show people were wanting back.  I loved McGyver but I would imagine many young people are more familiar with it because of SNL's McGruber than the original series.

Kevin Can Wait debuting well kind of surprised me and kind of did not.  I didn't think it had much buzz but it did get a good lead in.  And King of Queens still lives on in syndication. I'm a bit surprised at its staying power since I don't recall it being one of CBS's more popular sitcoms.  In addition, Kevin James did open Paul Blart: Mall Cop which did surprisingly well at the box office.  We'll see how long they can maintain the ratings.

Shows like Big Bang Theory don't surprise me because I used to find the show pretty funny.  Multi-camera sitcoms with laugh tracks can get a lot of mileage out of comfortable familiarity. (Not that this applies to all viewers but I imagine for many).  And NCIS, which I don't watch, is a comfortable procedural show. 

• Love 2

How nostalgia works with remakes that aren't anything like the originals fascinates me.

I mean I was shocked that it seemed to play a role with Hawaii-Five-O, because to my perception it was nothing at all like the old version. Did older folks simply seem to fool themselves into thinking it was more like it than it was, while younger folks liked that it had beaches?  

Well at least until recently it had no real legit nostalgia factor for the old version. Until they did this: Hawaii Five-0: Inside Jack Lord's CGI Cameo

Also hee:

TVLINE | Did you need to get permission from Jack Lord’s estate? How does that work?

We went through his estate, which is owned by a bank, and they approved the script back in June, knowing that it was about honoring his legacy.

• Love 1

I think Macgiver might be popular because for younger viewers it's a brand new show and they don't remember the original. I've never understood the popularity of Seinfeld and Two and a half Men where the characters are nasty to each other.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

I think Macgiver might be popular because for younger viewers it's a brand new show and they don't remember the original.

Shows with a new concept are also, by definition, equally as much "brand new shows" to those same younger viewers.

So there has to be more to it if you think those younger viewers are the key to those Episode 1 great ratings. Some other factor that appealed to them over and above it being new to them, I mean.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

The good MacGyver ratings puzzle me, because who's interested in such an old, outdated, cheesy 80s property? Even if it's the original fanbase  of the show, I thought the main appeal of it was the lead actor who is not involved in this version.

I haven't watched and don't plan to, but I think it could be interesting if they incorporated new technologies, for instance 3D printing, googling up how to, things like that, but from what I've read/seen, it doesn't seem to be the case.

20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Considering how stupid Scandal has gotten, I don't get how it always seems to still get huge ratings.

It could be that people feel they have invested so much time, they might as well watch to the bitter end. Pure speculation on my part, I don't watch and never have watched it. Only saw promos etc. 

16 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

Any and all reality shows.

And here I disagree! I love some of the "competitive" shows that involve a strategy element, like Survivor and, to a lesser extent, The Amazing Race. I do like TAR though, because of the skill element, but it has ruined part of its appeal by casting to draw viewers instead of casting for (diversity of) skills. I'm not really into cooking shows, but I understand the appeal, same from singing shows can can get someone a leg up in terms of visibility.

On the other hand, if by reality shows you mean the Real Housewives franchises, the life and mundane happenings of people famous only for being on reality TV, and the like, then I agree with you. Then again, I don't watch these shows, so it's easy for me to say (I did though watch a couple of episodes of Real Housewives, New Jersey, and the first season of Dance moms). But I also feel like a bit of a hypocrite, because I remember being fascinated by Wife Swap/Trading Spouses and getting a look into how some people live. But the again, it wasn't hours and hours and hours of the same uninteresting people :) but just the one episode, then done.

• Love 2

I'm not surprised by the CBS ratings, they know their audience, and they actually promote their shows.  I may have had no interest in "Bull" but they made damn sure I knew it was on Tuesdays this fall.  Whereas I love Ash vs The Evil Dead but it was a scavenger hunt to find when it was premiering. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Kromm said:

Shows with a new concept are also, by definition, equally as much "brand new shows" to those same younger viewers.

So there has to be more to it if you think those younger viewers are the key to those Episode 1 great ratings. Some other factor that appealed to them over and above it being new to them, I mean.

I think episode 1 is almost always looky loos wanting to see if it will be nostalgic or completely different or a train wreck.  MacGyver could be solely to see what they do with the jokes that MacGyver could dismantle a nuclear weapon with bubble gum twenty five years later.

Once they get eyeballs on it then people stay because they like the show to keep tuning in.

More than any other type of show, I never judge a remake until they are a few episodes in.

Lethal Weapon, for example, spent their pilot referencing almost everything in all the movies.  I'm not deciding if its watchable for a few episodes yet as a result. 

I think it's finally happened everyone!  I think I am finally done with Criminal Minds.  I have been wanting to quit the show for years now but there was alway something that kept me coming back.  Whether it was the unusually large female cast for this genre or the fact that nothing else is on at Wednesday 9:00.  I think that with Thomas Gibson leaving/being fired from the show I might have shaken the last shackles of the show.

Freedom!

• Love 4

True Blood

Hung

The Vampire Diaries

Once Upon a Time

Revenge

Under the Dome (because I can watch people behaving like idiots every day at work)

Grimm

Sleepy Hollow

Salem

Real Housewives of Potomac (do reality shows count?) 

Keeping Up With the Kardashians (embarrassing) 

Flipping Out (deleted last 2 series of this season off my DVR without watching)

Certain episodes of 48 Hours and Dateline (because . . . why? Why torture me?)

Tiny House (fill in the blank with whatever) because I wanted to bitch slap every single one of these jerks in their tiny whatevers

American Horror Story (gave up on season 3; bypassed season 4; rejoined the fold with Hotel)

Edited by psychoticstate

Gotham.  Love Donal Logue but he doesn't have enough scenes to keep me around...ditto for Alfred, young Bruce and the Penguin...everything else is dull, dull.

Supergirl.  Melissa Benoist is cute and a good choice for Supergirl but...same...boring.

Edited by raven

As of tonight, I'm out on The Blacklist. Stupid people, senseless violence, and I have no interest in hearing, "Where's mah baybeeeee?" for a whole season. (I spent this whole episode yelling, "Waaaaallllttt! - anyone who endured Lost through the whole series, as I did, will understand).

I've bailed on other shows before the end (Bones, Castle, Quantico) but usually from boredom, not so much disgust as with The Blacklist. Or pure rage, as in Sleepy Hollow. So ... yeah, life's too short.

• Love 2

I realized I've never gotten around to watching the latest episode of Fear the Walking Dead, so I must be cancelling it.  Eh, it was just something to pass time before all the other shows came back anyway.

18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Code Black and Designated Survivors.  Too much drama.  I'd rather search around for something to make me laugh. 

Good for you.  I was done with Code Black last season and watched one episode of Designated Survivor and it just didn't interest me.  Not as awful as Quantico but close.

9 hours ago, MizArk said:

I've bailed on other shows before the end (Bones, Castle, Quantico) but usually from boredom, not so much disgust as with The Blacklist. Or pure rage, as in Sleepy Hollow. So ... yeah, life's too short.

That makes me glad I bailed on The Blacklist after season two when I was just bored. I don't need any more Sleepy Hollow type rage!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Code Black and Designated Survivors.  Too much drama.  I'd rather search around for something to make me laugh. 

I bailed on Code Black a few episodes into last season, even though I really like Raza Jaffrey.  But when I heard they'd fired him and hired the annoying Rob Lowe, I double bailed.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

I bailed on Code Black a few episodes into last season, even though I really like Raza Jaffrey.  But when I heard they'd fired him and hired the annoying Rob Lowe, I double bailed.

Firing Raza is what decided it for me too. I love Raza and I tuned into Code Black initially for him. I ended up liking enough other things to stick around but without Raza and with some of the other changes that were reported over the summer, I decided I wasn't coming back.

I like Rob Lowe but it bugs me that they fired a poc and replaced him with one of the whitest people I can think of. I get there's more to it than that because Rob Lowe is an established star and Raza Jaffrey isn't but he'll never get to be established if things like this happen to him.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I like Rob Lowe but it bugs me that they fired a poc and replaced him with one of the whitest people I can think of. I get there's more to it than that because Rob Lowe is an established star and Raza Jaffrey isn't but he'll never get to be established if things like this happen to him.

I know.  I hated how they wasted him on Elementary, but he was doomed the second they made him a love interest for Watson.  The writers on that show have no interest in writing for Watson herself, let alone any character solely connected to her.

• Love 1

So....this is a bit late, but I'm proud of myself for following through on it after always being a die-hard fan who watches shows to the bitter, bitter end: I cancelled The Good Wife after Will died.

He was too much a part of the show's premise  - will the wife stick with her terrible husband or risk scandal and get with her boss? - for me to accept them creating a new love interest for Alicia once he was gone. I think they kind of screwed themselves with that whole thing, especially since they knew in advance that he would be leaving in a year's time. Why abruptly kill him off if you can have a full year to plan something better?!?

Apparently it was all downhill from there anyways, so as much as I liked Diane Lockhart I'm glad stayed firm in my resolve and didn't force myself to watch the final two seasons.

...wait wasn't there going to be a Diane Lockhart spinoff?

• Love 2