Type keyword(s) to search

Brain Bleed: The Shows We Hate & The Reasons We Hate Them

• Start Topic

I'm close to giving up Chicago Fire too. I was really disappointed by this past season of the show and am waiting for them to rename it Dawson's Fire.

I gave up DIY's Texas Flip and Move. The first season was entertaining, then they dropped one of the teams and that seemed to be the beginning of the end for me. It just came back with new episodes of which I tried watching two of them and just can't with anymore. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

I was born in 1980, so no, I didn't live through the 70s and I thank God for that.

And I stand by what I say.  I find Welcome Back Kotter to be ugly.

I wasn't saying you were wrong - the 70s were not particularly visually appealing, especially towards the end of the decade.  WBK reflects that aspect of the time quite well.  You're also not wrong to be glad you didn't have to live through that. :-)  I get nostalgic for my long-lost youth while watching shows like Kotter, but that doesn't mean I actually miss the 70s themselves.

• Love 2
On 6/25/2016 at 6:58 PM, Neurochick said:

USA had these real, fun, lighthearted shows and I'm sure people liked them.  

Count the game shows among them-- PyramidPYL$ale of the CenturyScrabble, et al. When those went away, USA as a channel went incredibly down the tubes, IMO.

The Last Ship just became Revolution with electricity. I am betting that the US Navy has quietly withdrawn the support and assistance that they had been providing for it.

• Love 1

I cancelled The Last Ship too after watching a couple episodes this season.  The epidemic of the first two seasons was resolved way too quickly and everything returned to normal, making this a run of the mill military drama.

I have quietly withdrawn my support of The Last Ship as well. Textbook example of a show with a specific, limited premise trying to extend beyond that for no good reason and becoming aimless in the process.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm about to drop-kick Night Shift.  Maybe I'll give it until the end of the season but after that, I'm done.

I made it through the first season and half of the 2nd before giving it up. I tried watching a couple episodes this season and found myself online or distracted in some other way because it couldn't keep my attention. 

• Love 1

I made it through four (of eight) episodes, and threw in the towel with Stranger Things.  I liked the '80s nostalgia, as I was a teen then, but other than that it really doesn't have anything going for it; the story itself is just too much of a mess for me.  It doesn't help that I don't like sci-fi, for the most part.  A friend told me everyone she knew was raving about it, and since we were hanging out at my parents' house last night and they have Netflix while neither of us do, we decided to give it a whirl.  Neither of us were impressed. 

• Love 3
On 8/28/2016 at 5:19 PM, Bastet said:

I made it through four (of eight) episodes, and threw in the towel with Stranger Things.  I liked the '80s nostalgia, as I was a teen then, but other than that it really doesn't have anything going for it; the story itself is just too much of a mess for me.  It doesn't help that I don't like sci-fi, for the most part.  A friend told me everyone she knew was raving about it, and since we were hanging out at my parents' house last night and they have Netflix while neither of us do, we decided to give it a whirl.  Neither of us were impressed. 

I watched it, and didn't mind it, but I also don't understand the raves it's been getting. So many of my friends are going on about it, like it's the most amazing show. 

After skimming this thread, I'm glad that I haven't bothered with certain shows (like Roadies), or didn't get very far with them in the past. 

I finally cancelled Vampire Diaries, last year, when I just couldn't handle the extended - what is it you call it, exposition? - the characters squeezing in all of the bad things that have happened to them since 2009, to catch up new, unsuspecting viewers, and explain why they are where they are today. Such a headache, and every single time, it left me wondering why I was still watching (because the story lines are so *stupid* a lot of the time). That, and vampires "turning off their humanity,"

going on killing sprees instead of mourning loved ones, and then being treated like they're perfect angels when they decide to act like human beings again

. Please. 

Edited by Anela
28 minutes ago, Anela said:

I finally cancelled Vampire Diaries, last year, when I just couldn't handle the extended - what is it you call it, exposition? - the characters squeezing in all of the bad things that have happened to them since 2009, to catch up new, unsuspecting viewers, and explain why they are where they are today. Such a headache, and every single time, it left me wondering why I was still watching (because the story lines are so *stupid* a lot of the time). That, and vampires "turning off their humanity,"

Yeah, I don't think I can stand any more of this show.  I like all the actors, but enough is enough.  Pretty soon they'll have to explain why the eternally young are all ageing.  Also, I dread the possible return of Elena.

I've cancelled Dark Matter, after the beginning of the second season, when they killed off the main character that I liked.  I just can't follow the adventures of the rest of the cast without him, or get interested in new characters.   It's also the kind of show where you have to remember everything that happened in the first season, and my memory just isn't that good. 

• Love 1

I'm glad I watched Stranger Things before the hype went into overdrive. Having no expectations and very little idea what is was going to be about, I really enjoyed it. If I'd waited until now when it's like ZOMGreatestshowevah!!!111!!! I would've expected too much and not had the fun of discovering it on my own.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

I mean, not that VD is a show that I would want to watch to the end, but I feel like if you have already invested that much time in it, why not make it until the end if it's near?

Because the last season was so bad.  They have some kind of new big evil whatsit or who every year, which they always manage to overcome and continue with their lives.   Last season they overcame several.  The formula got old.   I wonder if the people who run the show have ever watched either version of Being Human. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I have given up on Vampire Diaries ages ago , but why would you give up on a show when there's only one season left of it anyway? I mean, not that VD is a show that I would want to watch to the end, but I feel like if you have already invested that much time in it, why not make it until the end if it's near?

It didn't only have one year to go at the time - I watched one episode of the new season, last year. I was tired of it. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Anela said:

I watched it, and didn't mind it, but I also don't understand the raves it's been getting. So many of my friends are going on about it, like it's the most amazing show. 

Nostalgia can be a powerful thing.  I enjoyed the series, but probably wouldn't have liked it as much if it had been done in present day. 

On 8/28/2016 at 4:19 PM, Bastet said:

I enjoyed the show just fine, but can't say I was over the moon about it. The '80s nostalgia and the creepy kept we watching to the end, but the plotting really falls apart in the last couple episodes. One thing I enjoyed about the show, though, is that all the characters looked like real people instead of cookie cutter models. And the kids actually felt like they were average kids. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
On 8/31/2016 at 5:27 PM, nosleepforme said:

I have given up on Vampire Diaries ages ago , but why would you give up on a show when there's only one season left of it anyway? I mean, not that VD is a show that I would want to watch to the end, but I feel like if you have already invested that much time in it, why not make it until the end if it's near?

I never watched "Vampire Diaries," but I've given up shows in their last season. My reasoning is that if I no longer enjoy a show, why waste my time on it anymore.

• Love 9

I never watched "Vampire Diaries," but I've given up shows in their last season. My reasoning is that if I no longer enjoy a show, why waste my time on it anymore.

I'm the same way.  Moonlighting permanently cured me of the idea that if I'd already spent years watching, I should go ahead and stick it out to the end even though I no longer liked the show.  As I've said ever since, once entertainment ceases to entertain me, I'm done. 

• Love 9

When I've dropped shows after watching for several years, I usually tune back in to see the series finale. I think it largely depends on how much time has passed between my bailing and the end of the series as well as how much I liked it once; I stopped watching House 3 years before it ended and watched the finale. I watched Bones for about 3 years before bailing and won't bother watching the finale and I stopped watching Once Upon a Time early in season 3 and won't watch that finale when it finally, mercifully occurs.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ABay said:

I stopped watching Once Upon a Time early in season 3 and won't watch that finale when it finally, mercifully occurs.

I think that's when I stopped watching OUAT too. I tried a couple episodes last season to see if I might want to pick it back up. It was just as frustrating as ever. I think this upcoming season is it's last. ABC &Co. milked the hell out of it though.

3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Yep. I watch too many shows and I'm not wasting anymore time on ones that I've started to hate or that bore me. I gave up Covert Affairs halfway through the last season. The show was just boring and I did not care how it would end and I still don't. I never even googled to see how it ended.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm the same way.  Moonlighting permanently cured me of the idea that if I'd already spent years watching, I should go ahead and stick it out to the end even though I no longer liked the show.  As I've said ever since, once entertainment ceases to entertain me, I'm done. 

This is why I quit out on original-recipe Five-O when I reached the end of the eighth season (although, like I said, I had gotten the twelfth and final one [1979-80] just as a curiosity piece to find out if it really was as bad in those final years as it was said it was).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ABay said:

When I've dropped shows after watching for several years, I usually tune back in to see the series finale. I think it largely depends on how much time has passed between my bailing and the end of the series as well as how much I liked it once; I stopped watching House 3 years before it ended and watched the finale. I watched Bones for about 3 years before bailing and won't bother watching the finale and I stopped watching Once Upon a Time early in season 3 and won't watch that finale when it finally, mercifully occurs.

I did this with Glee. I loved Glee in its first two seasons but it lost me in its third and fourth seasons and I stopped watching all together. I did watch the finale and for the most part didn't like it at all.

• Love 1

I thought Glee should have ended after the death of Cory Monteith.  I did eventually watch the final season, which was horrible IMO, but there were still some great songs/videos occasionally.  Take On Me was my favorite, because I've always loved that song.   I think four seasons is enough for most shows, unless they have a very large cast, and tell very different stories. 

On 8/31/2016 at 4:54 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I WANT to give up on Criminal Minds for.....reasons but each time I have one foot out the door the show does something to pull me back in.  

I gave that show up after season 9 (I think) and probably hung on one season too long.  It went from being a show about FBI profilers solving complicated crimes, to a soap opera about the profilers themselves, who occasionally deal with an incredibly gruesome crime.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 4

I've been catching up on a lot of shows this year (yay, retirement!) and don't think I've made it to the end of any series that lasted more than 4 seasons, even though I had been really enjoying the show overall. There's just a point where it's all too repetitive and the plots become more and more farfetched (which bingeing exacerbates). I then just read summaries for the rest of the episodes and watch the finale:

• The Closer: God, shut up, Brenda.
  • Justified: I love ya, Raylan and Boyd but ugh with the shootings and fighting and in and out of prison like it's a drive-through burger joint.
  • Covert Affairs: Waning interest in (1) unrealistic spying and (2) romantic misadventures.
  • Fringe: The alternative universe can bite me.
  • Deep Space Nine: Yeah, yeah space adventures. Just tell me how it ends already.
  • Inspector Morse: Murders, inappropriate women. Got it.
  • Longmire: Stupid romances again.

Etcetera!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, lordonia said:
  • Longmire: Stupid romances again.

I only ever watched one episode of Longmire, so I guess I cancelled it immediately.   It seems like a show that I would want to watch, but when I watched it, I didn't.   There are just too many TV shows to watch, so you have to prioritize what you really like best. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

St. Elsewhere proved to be a good vaccine to keep me from getting sucked into the Lost black hole when SO many friends who'd begged me that I HAD to keep watching it to the [literal] bitter end wound up getting burned. Yep, it's like being in a bad relationship with someone you know is bad news who could drag you down. Better to call an early intermission and skip the second act instead of wasting one's time vainly hoping things will improve by  the final curtain call.

• Love 4
On 9/1/2016 at 6:56 PM, atomationage said:

Battlestar Gallactica, and more recently, Lost Girl. 

Yes!  so disappointing.  Lost Girl  kind of fell apart in the fourth season, if not the third,  and limped to the end, but BG!  damn that was some bullshit.  Like the ending of LOST level bullshit.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
Proofreading is helpful.
  • Love 2

The usual suspects -- the Bachelor/ettes, the Honey Boo Boos and their reality brethren, and especially Girls (looking forward to the day Lena Dunham tumbles into the black hole of irrelevance) -- have already been brought up several times, so I won't expound on what's been already said.

With that in mind, Outlander, which has also been mentioned for being a 'rape show', but my annoyance stems more from the discourse surrounding it. I've see it presented as the "feminist fantasy alternative" to Game of Thrones (which is a damn low bar to set in the first place), touted for it's exemplary handling of sexual assault -- but no commentary has presented a compelling argument why. The pieces of the episode I know only leave a worst impression: from what I remember the heroine (Clare?) being bent-over, half-naked, threatened with rape for an extended scene while the male lead barked "get ur paws off mah wife". It seemed exploitative and I doubt that scene is an exception. I'm not opposed to depiction of rape onscreen, but its seems too many series end up displaying this edgy voyeurism in portraying such heinous acts.

Not even going to get into the husband's "punishment" for her "disobedience" (which led to the attempted rape), or the crummy way that dilemma was resolved. Domestic violence is an absolute no-no for me in a 'ship', historical fiction or not -- this aspect would work if it were presented from Clare's perspective of a woman negotiating those waters (especially one from a different time period!), but when the relationship is nonstop pushed as the one true love to be shipped by the audience, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I'll also mention The Tudors. Largely due to over-saturation when it comes to historical fiction and period drama in general, but also because I find Anne Boleyn vastly overrated as 'heroine'. Just doesn't interest me (Natalie Dormer's acting is also fairly cringeworthy).

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I was so sick of hearing about it at TWoP I felt like Jan Brady "Buffy! Buffy! Buffy!"

In that vein, The Wine Show, with something like 6 home page stories before it even aired. I'm not particularly familiar with either of the two stars, don't find them all that attractive or charming, and just leave me alone already!

• Love 1
On 7/16/2016 at 1:04 AM, Cherpumple said:

It actually looks like an okay show without the hideous furry thing. Nothing special, but a relatable premise and I like the actor playing the dad. So why the hell did they add that horrible creature? Was it a joke among the writers that went too far and accidentally got approved?

I laughed at the clip, even at the imaginary friend. Then again, I like stupid sitcoms. 

• Love 1
On 9/2/2016 at 0:17 PM, atomationage said:

I only ever watched one episode of Longmire, so I guess I cancelled it immediately.   It seems like a show that I would want to watch, but when I watched it, I didn't.   There are just too many TV shows to watch, so you have to prioritize what you really like best. 

You're not the only one-- plenty have been one and done for me (and sometimes, it would be more than one and done [I saw several and decided they weren't for me]). 

• Love 2

Unless it was something that I had been highly anticipating because an actor or  that I had read the source book or saw the source movie I don't see one and outs as being cancelled by me, just as failures

On September 3, 2016 at 3:39 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes!  so disappointing.  Lost Girl  kind of fell apart in the fourth season, if not the third,  and limped to the end, but BG!  damn that was some bullshit.  Like the ending of LOST level bullshit.

I agree about Lost Girl but I mostly liked the ending of BSG.  Although it will never be the best ending ever I thought it was a realistic and thought provoking ending which I appreciated.

• Love 3
On 9/9/2016 at 10:00 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I agree about Lost Girl but I mostly liked the ending of BSG.  Although it will never be the best ending ever I thought it was a realistic and thought provoking ending which I appreciated.

The only thing the ending of BSG made me think was why the hell did I waste my time even watching this show.  The only way that ending could have been worse was if everybody had broken out into song and dance, or have Apollo wake up in the present day and say, "I've had the strangest dream."

• Love 2
On 9/4/2016 at 0:19 PM, Neurochick said:

I wish I'd cancelled BSG before the final season.  That was one of the worst final seasons I've ever seen and that last episode just made me shake my head.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:38 AM, Neurochick said:

The only thing the ending of BSG made me think was why the hell did I waste my time even watching this show.  The only way that ending could have been worse was if everybody had broken out into song and dance, or have Apollo wake up in the present day and say, "I've had the strangest dream."

BSG had about 2 1/2 good seasons.

If Apollo was coming out of the shower saying, "I've had the strangest dream," then I'd have been OK with that. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

BSG had about 2 1/2 good seasons.

If Apollo was coming out of the shower saying, "I've had the strangest dream," then I'd have been OK with that. 

Or if Apollo just came out of the shower and described the entire episode...I would have been more than okay with that! ?

• Love 5

I think I've officially canceled Empire.  I had too many other shows to record last night, so the Empire premiere didn't make the cut and I don't think I'm going to bother watching On Demand.  Taraji P. Henson is fabulous and hilarious and I'll miss Cookie, plus I always had a soft spot for Hakeem, but I think I'm throwing in the towel anyway.  It's just too frantic and soapy, even for me.

• Love 2